+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Are you acting as a Journalist? What you need to know..

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 times in 6,134 posts

Default Re: Are you acting as a Journalist? What you need to know..

More on Post 4 above - or the PSYOPS activities that folks can be subjected to when placed into an environment that they were not accustomed to..

I was in Egypt to check out the Great Pyramid, to travel to the various temples and sites, so that in my research (I was into publishing what I had learned about the sites, and if there was any science behind their construction and uses).. I thought such was a very innocent endeavor, with a lot of research prior to getting there, to exploring within the Cairo Museum and other museums in various cities and town that preserved some artifacts from past history.

I had been told during one of my workshops in the US, that I could get assistance from others who know the country very well if I meet such and such person when I am over there. My hosts and sponsors though were not familiar with those people, although for the "Christmas Eve Party" I did ask my hosts to attend - the location was at a journalist's house in Cairo, one who was a war correspondent from the 1940's era.. He being an older gentleman of renown in the literary circles (and gossip circles) would act as a magnet attracting key people who had "something to say" to each other when they were in town - it was a tradition with him..

And there I find myself in the middle of some most interesting house decked out like we walked into something out of the 1920's, with dust so thick in places and furniture that one wondered if one would fall through.. I sit down on the couch, blue velvet if I recall, well worn in spots and a small coffee table.. A really pretty lady sits next to me on my right, and the host, the elder gentlemen brings back a bottle of russian vodka, and a couple glasses (a bit dingy but what the heck the vodka will kill off any germs ) pours me two fingers high and her.

She talks about her experiences in medical, and working with children. (I had training in medical, EMT work since the late 1960's so we had something to talk about).. And I say well I had just spent 4 hours alone in the great Pyramid at Gizeh.. And had some amazing insights.. She says wow - please go on.. Well at that time the elderly fellow says, the group is breaking to go to dinner in some ritzy black tie event in Cairo, and he's not interested in going, and I don't have a black tie. I'm dressed nice in jeans tho, not quite black tie material.. Nor is she.. So he says, well, lets head to the OLD CITY (Cairo has an old traditional area which is pretty much off limits and not frequented by regular tourists), and he ushers us into his 1957 era jalopy and off we go.. It squeeks, it creeks, it bounces, and I wonder to myself, what the heck.. Getting there we pile out and the 5 of us now start walking taking in the sites, and she starts to talk more..

Eventually we sample all the wares from the street vendors after an hour of walking on Christmas day in the old city.. And she says lets get together tomorrow for lunch.. Tomorrow happens and we do lunch at her hotel room (room service). And there are a couple people there, another lady and a guy. She says talk more please about your medical experience, and your understanding about peace, about being able for all of us to be able to live together, and I do.. She says thats really great and says she works with children who have been harmed by bombing, shelling or are considered war kids - of course it tugs on the heart strings..

She says again let's meet at this location and she wants me to meet some more people who are believing in the cause of peace, of helping kids of stopping the war. We have a brief lunch and end up afterwards driving north towards Alexandria, where we drive into this persons estate - he is a businessman, a cattleman, and plantation owner.. I remember the halva paste to this day, quite nice, and since having had lunch no more than an hour earlier, I have to decline the roast lamb.. He says what is needed is to get gene stock from American Cattle into Egypt, and that he wants me to see I can do that for him, by going to a breeder in Fort Collins, Colorado.. I say to myself huh? I say I can look into that but I am not sure what export/import rules would be for that.

It's an interesting experience, I am quite unsure what is happening. I go with the flow tho.. Heading back to Cairo to her hotel, I bid her g'bye, and she says lets walk out side for a moment. I do, and she walks over to the bridge, and points at the spire across the river, she says, you know that is the CIA listening post, it is in that spire, they monitor all communications from here.. I again scratch my head wondering what is all this about.. And say OK.. I am going to go to the Cairo museum today and continue my research, and I tell her I need to be leaving for the States in a day or so, she says well let's do one more meeting, lunch again? I say sure. I spend my day exploring then in the next day I meet with her for lunch.

She brings out a packet from her big pocket book carry bag, and opens it, and inside there is a picture of her with a guy standing next to her, and his arm is around her. She says do I know who that is? Sure I do, it is Yassir Arafat. And I must have started turning white, as she said, don't worry you are with FRIENDS HERE.. You are in Cairo, and we are all friends here.. Of course my heart rate is going through the roof a bit, and I ask her, how do you know 'HIM" ? And she says he is her boss, she works in the hospital field unit to help kids and she says she was just so touched by my feelings about peace, helping the sick, the injured, that she says that she relayed all that to Arafat, the feelings, that there is HOPE.

And I go, OMG, I am setting with terrorists.. what do they want from me?

So we have a situation where one innocently goes to a party and finds out that one has been being interviewed for some reason (still unbeknownst to me), and then one is imparted with "secrets" that one did not ask for nor expect.. Years later in Colorado, I get a knock on my workshop door.. A fellow identifies him self as "Cohen" from Mossad, and that is is a direct relative of the leader in power in Israel at the time.. (Clinton and these people are doing secret negotiations in Oslo with the PLO/Arafat also).. He says what did I DO TO HIM ? I go huh? Arafat he says, he is changed, something happened. Well I say, oh.. well I don't recall doing anything to HIM. I met his lady friend for a few lunches and shared a feeling of peace that I picked up in the Great Pyramid (I learned the technology of how it works in other words)... He says he's a changed man. I go oh..

A brief story, but my intent was to find out what is the magic of the ages which was incorporated into the temples, the Great Pyramid and share it with the People under appropriate time and conditions. Odd - but sometimes one just finds oneself subjected to secrets when one didn't expect it? What to do?
    Each of us play our part in creating a new story for humanity and our planet ~

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Post:

Chanlo23 (17th April 2019), petra (17th April 2019), Strat (17th April 2019), Valerie Villars (17th April 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks

Can a government cite a journalist or a reporter for TREASON?

treason - "the crime of betraying one's country, defined in Article III, section 3 of the U.S. Constitution: "Treason against the United States shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort." - law dot com legal definition

Letter of the Law or interpretation there-of? Take briefly Assange, originally an Australian, then naturalized as an Ecuadorian (The Guardian dot com 2018), not a US citizen gets accused of assisting Manning in disseminating State and Military secrets. Is that levying war against the US? or Giving the Enemies of the US aid and comfort? Isn't giving aid and comfort referring to the methods that were given to combatant soldiers during for instance the Civil war, or earlier the Revolutionary war?

Who was the last person convicted of Treason against the US? The last person convicted of treason was Tomoya Kawakita, a Japanese-American sentenced to death in 1952 for tormenting American prisoners of war during World War II. (Eisenhower commuted Kawakita's sentence to life imprisonment although Kawakita could have been hanged). What exactly constitutes "Levying War" ?

Did Booth incur the Treason label for his assassination of Lincoln? John Wilkes Booth's co-conspirators in the assassination of President Lincoln were charged not with treason, but with criminal conspiracy to aid the rebellion and with murder.

Does a journalist then run the risk of the Treason label? Possibly if the criteria are met. Does NOT being a US citizen protect them from being branded "Treasonous"? Can the US extradite someone and bring them onto US soil and brand them as violating the US Espionage Act, or being seditious or treasonous? Those are questions to ask.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Post:

Chanlo23 (17th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (18th April 2019), Valerie Villars (17th April 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    Canada On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,156 times in 1,181 posts

Quote Posted by Bob (here)
    One really big issue is IF WE HAVE BEEN TOLD that what we are about to hear is SECRET and that we must KEEP A SECRET..

That specific "must keep a secret" induces a very nasty psychological trauma in the persons, especially if they feel they have been elevated to "elite status" by having received the secret.
    I laughed at Valerie's remark because I feel the same. Just can't keep my mouth shut. I'd make a terrible journalist, I'm sure. When trying really hard to keep a secret, I often end up insinuating the secret accidentally. Even if I don't outright tell the secret, someone observant will probably figure it out once I have dropped enough accidental clues.

I'm finding the cognitive consequences of secret-keeping especially interesting, and I tend to agree.

I think it is possible that my mind "not wanting me to keep secrets" could just as easily be a "defense mechanism" as the idea of "repressed memories" being a defense mechanism (The latter of which I am starting to question the validity of). In general, I'm a much happier person when I don't have to keep secrets.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Bob (17th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (18th April 2019), Valerie Villars (17th April 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Then classification of "secrets" - - private property information, private identity information, private family information, private "beliefs", private trade secrets about one's work or discoveries, general information that is yours that you want to keep yours because it's nobody's business.. to name a few

then business secrets, such as information on markets, information on competitors plans, locations of resources (this is an interesting one with large consequences)

then State secrets - the folks put into a fiduciary capacity to be a keeper of records for instance - are private records that the State has on lets say their operating bank accounts for payroll supposed to be kept secret, passwords secret, and any employee personnel background.

and Military secrets - force deployment, battlefield strategy, weapons deployment, fuel storage and amounts, missile bunker locations..

All things one should keep secret because it is nobody's business to get such private information..

Well what happens when a group's hacker teams breaks into a computer system which is an electronic repository and steals that data? Then publishes it? Criminal violations, or civil violations? Is there a right for people to have someone's private stuff?

A measure of what is understood to be private, or public. Or Military or State data. What if one uncovered a massacre of Civilians and found the Military laughing about it? Should that be kept secret? A measure again, a judgement call.

The My Lai Massacre of 1972.. Napalm strafing of civilians.. civilians being shot, gunned down..

From the New Yorker - 1972.. should the atrocity be disclosed, covered up kept secret? Such questions reporters and journalists and editors are pressed with, weighing all options to get their data right from sources who are telling the truth. Eye witnesses for instance, cameras that are running and documenting..

Quote Early on March 16, 1968, a company of soldiers in the United States Army’s Americal Division were dropped in by helicopter for an assault against a hamlet known as My Lai 4, in the bitterly contested province of Quang Ngai, on the northeastern coast of South Vietnam.

A hundred G.I.s and officers stormed the hamlet in military-textbook style, advancing by platoons; the troops expected to engage the Vietcong Local Force 48th Battalion—one of the enemy’s most successful units—but instead they found women, children, and old men, many of them still cooking their breakfast rice over outdoor fires.

During the next few hours, the civilians were murdered. Many were rounded up in small groups and shot, others were flung into a drainage ditch at one edge of the hamlet and shot, and many more were shot at random in or near their homes.

Some of the younger women and girls were raped and then murdered. After the shootings, the G.I.s systematically burned each home, destroyed the livestock and food, and fouled the area’s drinking supplies.

None of this was officially told by Charlie Company to its task-force headquarters; instead, a claim that a hundred and twenty-eight Vietcong were killed and three weapons were captured eventually emerged from the task force and worked its way up to the highest American headquarters, in Saigon. There it was reported to the world’s press as a significant victory.

The G.I.s mainly kept to themselves what they had done, but there had been other witnesses to the atrocity—American helicopter pilots and Vietnamese civilians. The first investigations of the My Lai case, made by some of the officers involved, concluded (erroneously) that twenty civilians had inadvertently been killed by artillery and by heavy cross fire between American and Vietcong units during the battle.

The investigation involved all the immediate elements of the chain of command: the company was attached to Task Force Barker, which, in turn, reported to the 11th Light Infantry Brigade, which was one of three brigades making up the Americal Division. Task Force Barker’s victory remained just another statistic until late March, 1969, when an ex-G.I. named Ronald L. Ridenhour wrote letters to the Pentagon, to the State Department, to the White House, and to twenty-four congressmen describing the murders at My Lai 4.

Ridenhour had not participated in the attack on My Lai 4, but he had discussed the operation with a few of the G.I.s who had been there. Within four months, many details of the atrocity had been uncovered by Army investigations, and in September, 1969, William L. Calley, Jr., a twenty-six-year-old first lieutenant who served as a platoon leader with Charlie Company, was charged with the murder of a hundred and nine Vietnamese civilians.

No significant facts about the Calley investigation or about the massacre itself were made public at the time, but the facts did gradually emerge, and eleven days after the first newspaper accounts the Army announced that it had set up a panel to determine why the initial investigations had failed to disclose the atrocity.

The panel was officially called the Department of the Army Review of the Preliminary Investigations into the My Lai Incident, and was unofficially known as the Peers Inquiry, after its director, Lieutenant General William R. Peers, “who was Chief of the Office of Reserve Components at the time of his appointment.

The three-star general, then fifty-five years old, had spent more than two years as a troop commander in Vietnam during the late nineteen-sixties, serving as commanding general of the 4th Infantry Division and later as commander of the I Field Force. As such, he was responsible for the military operations and pacification projects in a vast area beginning eighty miles north of Saigon and extending north for two hundred and twenty miles.

Peers and his assistants, who eventually included two New York lawyers, began working in late November, 1969, and they soon determined that they could not adequately explore the coverup of the atrocity without learning more about what had actually happened on the day the troops were at My Lai 4.

On December 2, 1969, the investigating team began interrogating officers and enlisted men in each of the units involved—Charlie Company, Task Force Barker, the 11th Brigade, and the Americal Division. In all, four hundred witnesses were interrogated—about fifty in South Vietnam and the rest in a special-operations room in the basement of the Pentagon—before Peers and a panel of military officers and civilians that varied in size from three to eight men.

The interrogations inevitably produced much self-serving testimony. To get at the truth, the Peers commission recalled many witnesses for further interviews and confronted them with testimony that conflicted with theirs. Only six witnesses who appeared before the commission refused to testify, although all could legally have remained silent; perhaps one reason that Peers got such coöperation is that the majority of the witnesses were career military men, and few career military men can afford to seem to be hiding something before a three-star general.
    Assange's group discovered atrocities and made the cover-ups available, and much more information available. Which was ethically right to publish which was wrong to publish? Is it any wonder that journalist's are looking for such atrocities and wanting to expose such things to the public so that they understand more background of what really goes on?
    Last edited by Bob; 17th April 2019 at 17:21.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (18th April 2019), Valerie Villars (17th April 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

MIT's technology review dot com had something to say about Assange and WikiLeaks - linked material derived from pages cited in the article "everything you need to know about wikileaks"

They start with saying wikipedia and wikileaks have nothing to do with each other, that wikileaks is a self described organization that is not for profit and is a media organization.

That it will present original material that it receives from leakers and anonymous sources.

Quote “Wikileaks will accept restricted or censored material of political, ethical, diplomatic or historical significance.

We do not accept rumor, opinion, other kinds of first hand accounts or material that is publicly available elsewhere.”
    That is an interesting statement in-light of the material published through receiving information from Manning, not an anonymous source, and the information from the Scientololgy secret auditing material, the OT series, the security clearance run-downs.. All of that material is publicly available elsewhere - more contradictions then on violation of basic tenets.

The MIT group goes on to say:

Quote In 2006, Assange wrote a series of essays that have recently been tapped as an explanation of his political philosophy.

A close reading of these essays shows that Assange’s personal philosophy is in opposition to what he calls secrecy-based, authoritarian conspiracy governments, in which category he includes the US government and many others not conventionally thought of as authoritarian.

Thus, as opposed to espousing a philosophy of radical transparency, Assange is not “about letting sunlight into the room so much as about throwing grit in the machine.”

For further analysis, check out Aaron Bady’s original blog post.

ref: http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/2010...is-not-enough/ and http://zunguzungu.wordpress.com/2010...ment%E2%80%9D/
    There is an argument that "Revealing War Crimes" may become a crime in itself.

OPED News emphasizes that revealing war crimes is NOT and will not ever be a crime - (that it is an ethical duty to report such harms against humanity) - https://www.opednews.com/articles/Th...90412-193.html

Quote Nine years ago, Julian Assange collaborated with Chelsea Manning with a sweeping set of revelations depicting US war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan and the factual background underlying these events.

After many years, a horrified American public saw in April 2010 a graphic video of hardened soldiers gloating about "dead bastards" while innocent Iraqi civilians died in an Apache helicopter assault.

A 22-minute documentary based on this footage was nominated for a 2012 Academy Award. Ethan McCord, an Army specialist, picked up a wounded child and ran to a US military vehicle. His superiors refused to take the child to a US military hospital, and McCord was reprimanded for his response. When McCord sought psychological assistance, he was told by his staff sergeant to "get the sand out of your vagina."

McCord and fellow Army specialist Josh Stieber wrote a public apology to the people of Iraq and Afghanistan, emphasizing that the Wikileaks footage depicted not an aberration, but "everyday occurrences" in Iraq. McCord's address to a 2010 antiwar conference can be seen here in a YouTube clip. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kelmEZe8whI)

ref: see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_1...hdad_airstrike - the 2007 Baghdad airstrike which harmed numbers of civilians.
    So, Assange has had his Ecuadorian citizenship status revoked and hauled out of the Ecuadorian Embassy in UK by force, and invasion of foreign soil at the urging of the Ecuadorian President. Calling Assange a "spoiled brat".. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...sy-London.html

Quote Ecuadorian president Lenin Moreno branded Julian Assange a 'bad-mannered' guest who acted like a 'spoiled brat' while he stayed at the country's embassy in London.

President Moreno and Assange never saw eye-to-eye while the WikiLeaks founder sought refuge at the Ecuadorian embassy. He has long held that Assange was trying to 'destablize' the country.
    What about the hidden secure INSURANCE POLICY that WikiLeaks and Assange has made clear should anything bad happen the contents WILL be released.

Did Moreno forget that that exists?

Quote In late July 2010, Wikileaks is said to have posted to its Afghan War Logs site, and to a torrent site an encrypted file with “insurance” in the name.

The file, which apparently can still be found on various peer-to-peer networks, is 1.4 gigabytes and is encrypted with AES256, a very strong encryption standard which would make it virtually impossible to open without the password. What is in the insurance file is not known.

It has been speculated that it contains the unredacted cables provided by the original source(s), as well as other, previously unreleased information held by Wikileaks.

There is further speculation, which has been indirectly boosted by Julian Assange, that the key to the file will be distributed in the event of either the death of Assange or the destruction of Wikileaks as a functioning organization.
    References to the "Dead Man's Switch" have been made.

Are these documents in the dead-man-file un-redacted, and highly secret ? Is the dead-man switch real?

https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/julia...surance-files/

Do reporters and journalists walk a fine line? Do they need INSURANCE policies to protect themselves and their organizations from revealing major atrocities committed by powerful entities?
    Last edited by Bob; 17th April 2019 at 20:35.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (18th April 2019), Valerie Villars (17th April 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2