+ Reply to Thread
Page 412 of 535 FirstFirst 1 312 362 402 412 422 462 512 535 LastLast
Results 8,221 to 8,240 of 10694

Thread: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

1. Link to Post #8221
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

Wrangham disappoints me. His repeated mention of Pinker in his various talks was a clue.. clue.. clue.. clue..
    His first page of the goodness paradox his villans are hitler, pol pot and stalin. Sure they are villans, how about finding some in British and US societies?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Joseph McAree (6th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #8222
    United States Avalon Member Wade Frazier's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,632 times in 7,518 posts

Hi Krishna:

As much as I hate to say it, Wrangham is a white guy!

I once read somebody discuss Noam’s comments on some British pundits who had absorbed the capitalist/imperial indoctrination so deeply that they could not even recognize the conceits that their work reeked of. It reminds me of that scene in the move Gandhi, when Gandhi said something like making India for Indians, and a British official looked at him in puzzlement, and replied that India was naturally British. Gandhi just smiled. That naïveté of citing Pinker, parroting Ed’s “standard model” of the Rwandan genocide, even when he was impacted by those events, is so common among white men, particularly from English-speaking countries.

Noam said that those pundits suffered from the centuries-old imperial, “liberal” indoctrination from their cradles, and were incapable of seeing how trapped their minds were. It took me many years to finally understand. Noam has long written about how Western “intellectuals” were indoctrinated so profoundly. I could write for a very long time on that issue. You say that you hold your nose when reading a lot of white-guy work, and still try to glean something from it. What I have noticed, going back to my early radical days, is that their biases were so great that they could invalidate almost any insight that those white guys could reach.

I have noticed that bias of Wrangham’s before. Paul Farmer’s book on Haiti is about the only one that I ever saw among white guys with scientific (biological or physical) training that shed the white conceits, and Noam naturally wrote the introduction to it. In a recent book by Peter Ward, he mentioned Loewen’s masterpiece, Lies My Teacher Told Me, and I was pleasantly surprised to see it. White scientists (physical and biological) rarely go there. Scientists are naïve in general, as Bucky mentioned.

To my previous post, the social sciences almost all suffer from not being grounded in the physical sciences, and physical scientists suffer from naïveté. As I have written, it took about two years for me to understand what Noam was saying, and I contacted him soon afterward, to only have a brief correspondence before getting the polite brushoff. I could never get Ed to think about energy and economy, and unsuccessfully tried to introduce him to Brian several times. Near his life’s end, Brian admitted his naïveté, which actually shortened his life. The best of us lost our naïveté honestly and reluctantly.

When I began what I consider the second phase of my scholarly journey, after reading Bucky’s work, and I encountered the Peak Oilers soon afterward, it became obvious that physical scientists had little respect for economists, and the trouble that I had with economic theory from college began to become clear. Their works are largely delusional exercises, as they were mere intellectual warriors for the capital class. It wasn’t until Marx came along that there was much honesty in economics, but he is very marginalized, even demonized, in the West. But Michael Albert’s “radical” Parecon did not even mention energy. God, what a boring read that was. Even the “radical” economists can’t see the big picture.

I’ll write about it more one day, but when I read up on the demographic transition not long ago, it was depressingly familiar how blind those social scientists were. For anybody with grounding in the physical sciences, the demographic transition is obviously a side-effect of the Industrial Revolution. Without the Industrial Revolution, there would not have been a demographic transition, but every analysis that I saw ignored it and got into the minutia of secondary and tertiary factors, with a lot of irrelevant statistical analyses. Economists do the same thing, so it is understandable, but when they do that, they abdicate their ability to develop explanations that make much sense. It is similar to all of those pundits that tried to explain the American invasion of Iraq without mentioning oil. The result of all such punditry is nonsensical analyses that don’t explain anything of importance.

There are many flavors of such delusional analyses, and one that comes to mind is postmodern analytics, which Ed and Noam rightfully shredded. Ed and Noam’s Propaganda Model is marginalized in orthodox media analyses, as they focus on irrelevant aspects and ignore the structural ones. As long as the media is under capitalist control, it will continue to serve up the mind-numbing garbage that it does, and only the most vigilant consumers will resist falling under the sway of the capitalist/imperialist assumptions that pervade it.

Even in the physical sciences, particularly the biological sciences, there is a tendency to overlook or ignore the energy issue, which makes their findings suspect. Nick Lane’s latest, and Hall and Klitgaard’s book, mentioned that neglect, as they tried to bring energy front-and-center. Even in Schrödinger’s What is Life?, he downplayed the energy issue in biology, to later utter a mea culpa.

This is why a comprehensive perspective is necessary for the choir. Otherwise, it is easy to get sucked into all manner of delusional rabbit hole. My choir qualities are not something that I just dreamed up one day, but were the result of trial-and-error, over thousands of interactions with the public, pundits, and the like. Getting to productive understanding of this issue is like walking the razor’s edge. So-called intellectuals almost never get close, falling off the rails early on, succumbing to their indoctrination (becoming a Level 3 is a typical hazard), but the scientifically illiterate can really get lost, falling for the flavor of the day in the media, or the latest New Age/conspiracist gossip.

So, I hear you on Wrangham’s naïve biases, but he is a white guy!

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 7th August 2019 at 02:42.
    My big essay, published in 2014, is here.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (10th August 2019), Joseph McAree (6th August 2019), Krishna (6th August 2019), Reinhard (7th August 2019)

5. Link to Post #8223
    Thanks

Hi:

I doubt that I can overemphasize how neither I nor my fellow travelers had any idea what we were in for as we began our idealistic journeys. Our so-called allies usually hurt us more than our assailants did. That was the greatest lesson of my journey, and the beginner’s level of that lesson is when free energy newcomers rush out to tell their social circles the “good news,” to only be shocked at the indifference, ridicule, ostracism, and other reactions. The best of my students come back to me, chastened by the experience. After they learn that one, even after I caution them against it, then they are more willing to learn vicariously through my adventures and those of my fellow travelers.

Learning how the free energy pursuit shortens lives just comes with the journey. Oh, all the wrecked and shortened lives that I have witnessed on my journey. Those were lessons that none of us expected or wanted to learn, but they just come with the territory of walking the high road. Learning that the very technologies that we pursued were developed to a commercial level long ago was no great surprise, and neither was the existence and vigilance of the Global Controllers. To armchair conspiracists and other spectators, those are big deals, and I can see why they think so, but they are really not the big revelations that you get when you walk the high road. They are more along the lines of “Oh, that too.”

The big lessons are the ones that we learned about humanity and ourselves. The GCs are merely a symptom of the human condition, not a cause. If enough people who cared woke up and did something about it, it would quickly be Game Over for the GCs, and they know it, which is why they keep the lid so tightly on those technologies and wipe out any independent attempts to develop them, although they rarely need to lift a finger. The vast majority of efforts either never go anywhere before they self-destruct or the lower-level players take them out, as they protect their turf, with little, if any, direction or encouragement from the GCs. Most of the GCs’ dirty work is done gratis.

I have developed my “curriculum” over a lifetime of training, adventures, and study, and not many are going to be willing and able to understand, but I seek the few who do or are willing to do the work to get there. The homework that I hand out is not life-threatening stuff, but it can be life-changing.

Best,

Wade

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (10th August 2019), Joseph McAree (7th August 2019), JRS (8th August 2019), Krishna (7th August 2019), Reinhard (7th August 2019)

7. Link to Post #8224
    Thanks

Hi:

Well, Krishna changed his post a little. It originally said that until material realities change, “morality” and behavior won’t. That is one of the key points of my work, and arguably the key one. I can’t overemphasize that each Epoch’s energy practices formed its foundation, and the best measure of any society’s wealth is its surplus energy. Energy makes it all happen. The nearest concept in financial terms may be discretionary income, although savings is closest to the idea of energy reserves, and the USA has been scraping the dregs lately. All of the easy fossil fuel energy has been exploited on Earth. The last good stuff is in the Middle East, which explains everything about the West’s military presence there. Energy per capita consumption peaked when the USA’s standard of living did, and it has been all downhill since then.

I am going to expand on those ideas in my essay update, and make them more explicit. Without abundant and clean energy, the Fifth Epoch can’t happen. I am going to expand quite a bit on the rise of Europe and the path to the Industrial Revolution. The Industrial Revolution was all about machines’ replacing people, and performing feats that humans are incapable of, from cars and rockets to computers. Without rising energy levels, and technologies that replaced people, there would not have been a rise of Europe and conquest of humanity. Machines replaced nimble fingers, strong backs, and, with the rise of computers, brains. The replacement of fingers got a big boost with the printing press. Before the printing press, all books were written by hand. That is what monastery monks did in those medieval days. Mass literacy was not feasible until the rise of the printing press. The West, unlike the Western Hemisphere (and Australia was still stuck in the Second Epoch when the British invaded), had draft animals, which was a huge boost to productivity, and the mass adoption of the waterwheel and the feat of turning the ocean into a low-energy transportation lane were unprecedented events in the human journey.

The rise of machines made chattel slavery economically obsolete. Women were liberated, as the agrarian economy disappeared. Industrializing nations had demographic transitions, and its main features were cheaply reproduced in developing nations. But without the first one, the rest would not have happened.

In the Fourth Epoch, wage slavery replaced chattel slavery, but in the Fifth Epoch, the concept of “being employed” will become as meaningless (or disgusting) as the idea of chattel slavery is in the Fourth. Nobody will need to “work for living,” and it does not mean the crazed hedonism that you see in rock stars, lottery winners, and NBA players, but new horizons of the human potential will beckon, and this kind of world becomes feasible, as abundance and love replace scarcity and fear as humanity’s operating principles. That is the beginning and end of my game. We’ll see how it goes.

To Krishna’s revised post, I replied with a post on the problems with white guys. You will rarely find physical or biological scientists’ citing Chomsky, or even being aware of his work, other than his linguistics work. I have noticed that divide for many years. I doubt that I have ever seen a physical or biological scientist write an article in Z Magazine and similar “radical” publications. You only get social scientists such as Ed, Noam, and Howard. When I see a de Wall or Wrangham comment on current social or political trends, and even provide prescriptions for future action, their naïveté can really shine through, such as citing Pinker.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 8th August 2019 at 14:35.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (10th August 2019), Inaiá (14th August 2019), Joseph McAree (8th August 2019), Krishna (9th August 2019), Reinhard (8th August 2019), Valerie Villars (12th August 2019)

9. Link to Post #8225
    Thanks

Hi:

In the past week, I have been reading Wrangham’s recent work. Yes, he is a white guy, with the limitations that come with it, and I always take that into consideration when reading white-guy science and scholarship. That said, Wrangham is always worth taking seriously. It is very interesting that on the issue of the origins of war, Wrangham is considered the chief “hawk,” while de Waal wrote the foreword to a book by the dean of the doves, Douglas Fry. My essay update will have plenty of Wrangham’s and de Waal’s work in it, and they have worked together. They are the two most prolific chimp researchers today, and Wrangham got his start working for Jane Goodall. De Wall does not agree with Wrangham’s latest work.

I’ll write about Wrangham’s work more in my essay update, but the gist of his latest work is that humans have self-domesticated themselves in the past 300,000 years or so, and that Wrangham bases a lot of this idea on the groundbreaking work on domesticating the silver fox. Those silver foxes were bred into domestication by simply selecting for one trait: a lack of defensive aggression. In only a few generations, the changes were evident. Domesticated silver foxes make good pets today, and act like dogs. What is called the “domestication syndrome” today are changes related to reduced defensive aggression, such as white patches on the extremities (head, feet), reduced brain and tooth size, floppy ears, and an overall “juvenilization,” in which infant traits are retained into adulthood. Bonobos evince what Wrangham calls “self-domestication,” which likely began with reduced defensive aggression, and it was very likely related to their ecological circumstances, with easier access to food resources, in their isolation from other chimps and gorillas south of the Congo River.

Wrangham also writes about offensive aggression, as contrasted with defensive aggression. While defensive aggression is tightly related to heightened emotional states (the fight or flight response), offensive aggression is a cold, calculating exercise, like premeditated murder, and chimps and humans engage in it like no other animals, befitting their advanced cognitive abilities.

All in all, I think that Wrangham’s work is an important contribution to the issue of the roots of the human phenomenon of war and peace. Humans engage in both, in unique ways. I’ll always make the argument that it has been rooted in ecological/economic reality from the beginning, as we see with the great contrasts between chimp and bonobo behavior, which has been baked into their DNA, after about a million years of independent bonobo evolution.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 9th August 2019 at 14:59.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (12th August 2019), Joseph McAree (9th August 2019), Krishna (9th August 2019)

11. Link to Post #8226
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Wade, I did not revise my post I think you meant this post

What books from Douglas Fry would you suggest? I am still in the middle of reading Wrangham's latest, I think I agree with him more than de Wall.

de Wall's Age of Emphathy was good about explaining bonobos, but not useful in terms of getting to an age of emphathy. The path laid out was empty.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Joseph McAree (12th August 2019), Wade Frazier (10th August 2019)

13. Link to Post #8227
    Thanks

Thanks Krishna:

Well, there is another senior moment. Getting old and feeble! Yes, I was referring to that post. I have not read a great deal of Fry’s work. I see that he has a new book out, with Riane Eisler, and I suppose that having Eisler as his co-author kind of sums it up: they both have a very idiosyncratic approach to the science and evidence. I have War, Peace, and Human Nature, which Fry edited and wrote the introduction and conclusion to, as well as co-authored one of the chapters. War, Peace, and Human Nature is what de Wall wrote the foreword to, Noam gave a blurb to, and Ed cited the chapter that takes on the evidence that Pinker used for pre-Holocene violence. To see the two poles of the argument, of the long chronology versus the short one, read also Violence and Warfare among Hunter-Gatherers. Those are some of the books that I will be using in my essay update, as well as Otterbein’s masterpiece, which reconciles the long and short chronologies, as well as provides the most intriguing hypothesis for the rise of civilization that I have seen.

From what I have read and know of Fry’s work, he gets too cute on defining war. He defines it as a violent attack on another polity, in which which member of the polity is assailed does not matter to the attackers, as they are all “socially substitutable.” In defining war in that way, Fry pretty much defines out of existence hunter-gatherer warfare, as he describes virtually all such violence as “feuds” and homicides.” Fry has been criticized for relying too much on the ethnographic evidence instead of the archeological evidence. Even then, there were hunter-gatherers to study in the 20th century, and the best ones to study were arguably those of New Guinea, which was the most isolated place on Earth early in the 20th century. The New Guinea Highlands were not even “discovered” until the 1930s. A chapter of Violence and Warfare among Hunter-Gatherers is devoted to New Guinea, and showed how the behaviors of those contact-era hunter-gatherers definitely met Fry’s definition of warfare. For anybody who has studied New Guinea contact-era societies, it was pretty shocking how violent they all were, and headhunting and cannibalism were typical behaviors. I think that it gives perhaps the best modern window into our hunter-gatherer past. You would not want to live then.

The tragic aspect of the debate on the long and short chronologies is that all anthropologists who study war do so with the intent of eliminating it. As Tony Bennett said, warfare is the “lowest form of human behavior.” Amen. It seems to me that the short-chronology side has an aversion to admitting that there are very good evolutionary reasons for violence and warfare, going back to gorillas and even earlier. I would argue that it goes back to the beginnings of predation. It is part of our heritage as heterotrophs. Even with his white-guy biases, I think that Wrangham has the best approach to the issue.

I think that the chimp/bonobo issue is a great illustration of human proclivities. Humans can be peaceful or warlike, and it has everything to do with abundance and scarcity. When there is plenty, there is peace, and when it gets scarce, it gets violent. It is really pretty simple. The golden ages of the journey of life on Earth and the human journey were all based on a short-lived energy abundance for the lucky organisms and people. Those situations never lasted long, before it was back to competition and eventually a collapse, whether it was ecosystems or societies.

What none of those “hawks” and “doves” can seem to imagine is that the means to end warfare are already on the planet. As Brian ruefully discovered, academics and scientists will be among the last to wake up to the Fifth Epoch, not the first, much less help us get there.

It will be up to the uncredentialed to do it, not members of the Establishment, even its most “progressive” members, perhaps especially its most progressive members. I was never able to get anywhere with Noam and Ed, and it does not get much greater than them.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 10th August 2019 at 18:40.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (12th August 2019), Joseph McAree (10th August 2019), Krishna (11th August 2019), Valerie Villars (12th August 2019)

15. Link to Post #8228
    Thanks

Hi:

When current events reach certain outrageous levels, I’ll comment on them. Jeffrey Epstein’s “suicide” may be the most suspicious American death in custody since Oswald’s. The bloggers have been warning about his impending “suicide” for weeks, after his failed “attempt.” He knew way too much, and had to be silenced. Adding him to the Clinton Body Count seems appropriate, but far more than the Clintons would have been vulnerable to the possible revelations of an Epstein trial, no matter how rigged it was. He was the most high-profile prisoner in the USA, who was inexplicably left alone, even after an earlier apparent attempt, and, surprise of surprises, took his life.

Epstein’s “suicide” is how it is done in the USA. In Africa in the 1990s, dissidents in custody were prone to “jumping” off of the tenth floor of the presidential palace while under “interrogation.” The USA is slightly cleverer. They will make charges out of the thin air, prosecute them with the utmost fraudulence, doctor your security file to erase your wife, children, your collegiate and military careers, and outright lie about what they “convicted” you of, to put you into the shark tank, and then a serial murderer has his lucky day when he is moved from the “the hole” in maximum security to be your bunkmate. When that doesn’t work, then you are framed for being a snitch, and if you are extremely talented and lucky, you’ll only have some fingers broken and teeth knocked out, but you can count on the media to lie about those events ever since, as well as “skeptics,” talking heads in the free energy field, etc.

Of course, with this latest untimely demise while in custody, there will be an “investigation,” and no foul play will be detected, but maybe a guard’s head will be put on a platter, or some “unfortunate” bureaucratic “lapse” will be noted, and then, “Case closed! Nothing more to see here. Move along.” That is how it works in the good ol’ USA. So, today is another “interesting” day in the Empire.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 10th August 2019 at 16:32.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Chris Gilbert (10th August 2019), Earth Angel (10th August 2019), Joseph McAree (10th August 2019), Krishna (11th August 2019), Reinhard (15th August 2019), Servant Limestone (10th August 2019), Valerie Villars (12th August 2019)

17. Link to Post #8229
    Philippines Avalon Member Servant Limestone's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi all:

Just starting to read a lot about The Culture novels by Iain M. Banks through a set of online files that I've found on Discord when it was shared by Discord colleagues there in one of the channels that I am a member of.

The Culture novels is definitely a good example of a science fiction work that is really able to describe an interstellar post-scarcity civilization. Though, it still doesn't come close to the way Wade can describe the Fifth Epoch due to one element that is missing in the Culture novels, the spiritual component. That connection to the Divine, which is also where free energy comes from. That's missing. The spiritual component maybe the most important component of how post-scarcity cannot be truly imagined. Though the author did have a concept that is close to free energy that the Culture was able to harness, thus the achievement of post-scarcity.

But it's definitely interesting that The Culture novels along with Ursula Le Guin's The Dispossessed to be one of the very few works around that can describe and make people imagine post-scarcity. They may as well be the only ones around that's famous enough. Star Trek's post-scarcity is more ambiguous and is more of a product of the late developments of U.S. society and politics as it goes through the rise of neoliberalism by the 1980s and DS9 of the 1990s, unfortunately, is one of the reasons that made Star Trek's post-scarcity more "phony" or less of a true post-scarcity, I guess. It's never really properly explained in detail in Star Trek except for one or two NG episodes and it's quite a surface explanation of what makes Star Trek's post-scarcity possible whereas the Culture is completely post-scarcity and the details about it are very good. It helps that the author is quite militantly leftist and knows his Chomsky and his Marx very well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture - Wikipedia article about the Culture.

Late Iain M. Banks' own notes on the Culture - http://www.vavatch.co.uk/books/banks/cultnote.htm

The notes of the author are themselves, MUST READ.

Just passing through here... keep doing your thing guys...

Thanks,

Serg.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Servant Limestone For This Post:

Franny (12th August 2019), Inaiá (14th August 2019), Joseph McAree (10th August 2019), Wade Frazier (10th August 2019)

19. Link to Post #8230
    Thanks

Hi Serg:

I have one or two of the Culture books in my library somewhere. One day, I may get around to reading the series. Yes, Star Trek was not quite Fifth Epoch, but could come close at times.

Best,

Wade

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (12th August 2019), Joseph McAree (10th August 2019), Krishna (11th August 2019), Servant Limestone (10th August 2019)

21. Link to Post #8231
    Thanks

Hi:

When Dennis was in prison, and the officials kept putting him in position to be killed by the inmates, at one point, the officials said that they could put Dennis in protective custody, after he had turned into a real snitch and said who threatened him, and Dennis nearly laughed at them. He knew that “protective custody” was no protection at all, as the inmates could easily kill any inmate that they wanted to in his prison, protective custody or not. The realities of prison life are not like they are portrayed in the media.

With what I know of the JFK hit, I’ll never believe any official story that portrays Oswald as the Lone Nut, and portrays the Ruby hit on Oswald as some sort of “rage of a nightclub owner” event. At least one member of the 9/11 commission did not believe the official explanation of 9/11, just as Warren Commission members did not believe the Magic Bullet story. When even the members of the “investigative” commissions did not believe the official verdicts, how can the public be expected to? All such investigative commissions are compromised from the outset, and can even be fraudulent to begin with.

Even for something as innocuous at the Challenger disaster, Richard Feynman threatened to take his name off of the investigative commission findings, if they did not include his appendix on what the problem really was. He was the “pain in the ass” who steered the committee to the truth, as it was going to be glossed over and buried, in the name of NASA’s CYA games.

So, there is not going to be any official explanation for Epstein’s “suicide” that is going to be credible to me. Fool me once…

However, these machinations don’t even reach the GC level, but are more on the national level. The Clintons are way down the food chain of earthly power. The GCs regard the Epstein situation as merely another incident of “the boys at play.” The Epstein and similar incidents are merely part of the circus. None of it is in any way relevant to making the Fifth Epoch happen, which is the name of my game. The Fifth Epoch will “drain the swamp” for elite machinations, as it will make elites obsolete. But the elites and their games cannot be the focus of an effort like mine. They just need to be acknowledged and let go. That issue is part of developing a comprehensive perspective, but just a part. It is important to not get stuck there. They are a real hazard for what I do, but I do what I can to minimize the risk, both to myself and anybody in the choir. I am low on their radar for now, and if my plan works, by the time that they realize the “threat,” it won’t be stoppable. But the same faction that cheered our efforts from the shadows is likely to also be supportive, and it may be so today, although I am not counting on them.

Looking for singers, not soldiers.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 11th August 2019 at 16:25.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (11th August 2019), Krishna (11th August 2019), Reinhard (15th August 2019), Valerie Villars (12th August 2019)

23. Link to Post #8232
    Thanks

Hi:

One of the “interesting” aspects of the Epstein case, and I have followed it a little, is that I once lived a few miles from a prominent billionaire, and I heard from somebody who would know about that billionaire’s odd sexual proclivities, and how he would sneak in people through the back entrance to his mansion for his trysts. The man was and still is a closet homosexual, which is not part of his public image at all.

When Epstein’s “little black book” became public, that billionaire’s name was in it, and it was another one of those “isn’t that interesting?” moments.

Best,

Wade

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (12th August 2019), Joseph McAree (11th August 2019), JRS (13th August 2019), Krishna (11th August 2019), Reinhard (15th August 2019), Servant Limestone (12th August 2019), Valerie Villars (12th August 2019)

25. Link to Post #8233
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

I finished Wrangham's latest book, he like de Waal is strongest when talking about science and weakest when talking about contemporary politics. Also interesting is that de Wall is not acknowledged in the book as any kind of collaborator.

The summary of the book is that within ingroups we keep our tempers in check, this is because we evolved to be part of a social group and to get along, or to risk death for deviations from the norm. This killing was done by married men who formed the core of the power structure in our evolutionary past. Wrangham is definitive "we live in a patriarchal society" (close paraphrase). Outgroups are outside of the moral compass, raiding and killing is normal and accepted, this is premeditated and death rates are of similar magnitude in chimpanzees. This easily explains why we care about our state, community, race, or any other identity that one can think of, to the exclusion of others who dont fall into "our" category.
    During his discussion of war today he cites Pinker, but both Wrangham and Pinker miss the role of demographic change in lessening of war deaths. As demographic change rolled through western societies they had a difficult time staffing their military for war and war deaths, this was partly a reason for independence around the world. Any discussion of war in modern times has to take into account the demographic change in western societies.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Franny (12th August 2019), Joseph McAree (11th August 2019), Wade Frazier (11th August 2019)

27. Link to Post #8234
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Nick Lane in an interesting talk says
    Quote he [Erwin Schrödinger] says something like "life is the harnessing of chemical energy in such a way that the energy-harnessing device makes a copy of itself."
    That is certainly how I would see he's linking the two key themes of biology, information and energy, together.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Joseph McAree (12th August 2019)

29. Link to Post #8235
    Thanks

Hi Krishna:

I’ll comment more on Wrangham’s latest later. So, what part of demography do you think is important?
    • Two world wars had depleted the imperial powers of cannon fodder.
    • That lower birthrates in industrial nations meant less imperial cannon fodder.
    • The rise in standard of living in industrial nations meant more to lose for young men, so being a soldier had increasingly less “allure.”

One, all, some combination of them, or something else?

Yes, Lane kind of summed up life. I’ll have a lot to update on the origin of life and early life. If you read Schrödinger’s What is Life?, he initially dismissed energy in favor of negative entropy, but later made a mea culpa.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 11th August 2019 at 23:33.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (12th August 2019), Krishna (12th August 2019)

31. Link to Post #8236
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wade Frazier (here)
    Hi Krishna:

So, what part of demography do you think is important?
    • Two world wars had depleted the imperial powers of cannon fodder.
    • That lower birthrates in industrial nations meant less imperial cannon fodder.
    • The rise in standard of living in industrial nations meant more to lose for young men, so being a soldier had increasingly less “allure.”

One, all, some combination of them, or something else?

Best,

Wade
    Pew has a good source of immigration to USA in 3 waves. Link to article

I am thinking that by 1900 it should have become more difficult for UK, US, Germany, France to raise armies internally. Their armies were filled with colonial subjects in World War II and might have had a significant portion in WWI.

Increased (basic) education levels in comparison to illiteracy of earlier generation made induction into army difficult. This is a cognitive change, leaders are no longer able to command educated populations as they could illiterate populations.

This basic education also led to a decrease in birth rates so less people to induct.

Finally better wages meant need for bigger war budget.... But more than wages, a fully belly does not want to fight, Richard Wrangham makes the case that modern war is not "natural", natural war is mostly for show if equally matched, or outright murder with overwhelming force if one can get away with it.

Hints of this can be seen in the immigration numbers into USA, the theory being that people willing to emigrate are also willing to join an army. Until 1890 it was North/West Europe, from 1890-1920 it was South/East Europe, finally in the modern era 1965+ it is mostly Latin Americans and Asians.

This will change with immigration to usa staying constant for the next 10 years and then falling gently without end, as competition for immigrants heats up from europe, japan, china, canada and potential immigrants choosing to stay home with a full belly.

(Germany under Merkel smartly took in a million people and stalled its falling population during the recent crisis)

=== added later ===
    more proof that demographic change had its effects... in 1896 Canada went to Eastern Europe to populate its lands (not to Northern/Western Europe)

From https://ideas.ted.com/world-populati...ts-its-secret/
    Quote In 1896, Clifford Sifton confronted just about the biggest problem a politician can have. The new Dominion of Canada, barely a quarter century old, was in danger of failing. ...
    His solution was, for the time, incredibly radical: Aggressively recruit immigrants from Eastern Europe.
    Last edited by Krishna; 12th August 2019 at 05:09.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Joseph McAree (12th August 2019), Reinhard (15th August 2019), Valerie Villars (12th August 2019), Wade Frazier (12th August 2019)

33. Link to Post #8237
    Thanks

Hi Krishna:

For World War II, it is true that India provided plenty of cannon fodder, but no place else did much, and the problem with colonial cannon fodder is that they can go fight for the other side. We can call the Korean troops that fought for Japan colonial, Italy conscripted about 20,000 Africans, the Baltic States got conscripted by both sides, but the vast majority of the fighting and deaths was inflicted and suffered by the citizens of the national militaries (and an awesome civilian toll, which has been a trend in the past few centuries). Where the fighting was the bloodiest (Eastern Front, the Pacific), colonial conscripts did not participate to any significant degree.

I am not as big a fan of education as you are. Americans are history’s most brainwashed people, and are completely literate. I estimate that about half of my so-called “education” was brainwashing, in one form or another, and I nearly joined the military. As Goering said, it is easy to march the masses of any nation off to war. Dodging the draft became an art form in the first civilization in Sumer, and while they invented literacy, you would not call Sumerians very literate, particularly the “pre-cannon” fodder. I’ll agree that the lower classes, literate or not, were always the preferred cannon fodder, and with a rising middle class in the West, fewer were willing to sign up. I have long-discussed my “redneck” background, and in my relatives today, the redneck side cultivates the idea of having military careers, as mesomorphs carry around weapons in their daily lives, while the professional side of my generation can’t seem to imagine becoming a soldier. It is a stark contrast from my parents’ and grandparents’ generations, and I think it has everything to do with being raised during the postwar boom. I have written plenty that I was about ten years too young to have been drafted for Vietnam, and the stories that I have heard from my pals over the years (shudder).

So, how are illiterate people easier to conscript than literate ones? I just haven’t seen any studies of that, but I am quite willing to learn more. I’ll agree that rising standards of living make for more reluctant soldiers, and scarcity is always the invisible hand on their backs, and rising literacy was part of it, but only a part, IMO, kind of a side-effect. I still have a college paper written by a pal, which studied the growth of the American university system in the last half of the 19th century. It was designed to produce cogs in the rising industrial machine, not to produce truly educated people.

My effort needs caring and awake people, not necessarily well-read and “educated” ones, who tend to become Level 3s.

I finished Wrangham’s latest, and your summary is a good one. Yeah, Wrangham and de Wall are kind of in opposite camps today, such as on the warfare issue, and de Waal is a critic of Wrangham’s latest efforts. I’ll be using both Wrangham and de Waal plenty in my essay update, and yes, they are strongest when playing scientists, not political commentators.

My mother’s side of my family was part of the Scandinavian migration wave in the late 1800s, as my grandfather was born in 1892 in Minnesota, a first-generation American from Norwegian parents, and he was crippled in World War I. Filling North America with white people was the plan for a long time. Tesla’s move to the USA in 1884 was typical of those times. That “radical” Canadian plan was not exactly cutting-edge for North America.

The coming trajectories of nations are not that interesting to me, as I am trying to end nations.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 14th August 2019 at 02:17.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (16th August 2019), Krishna (13th August 2019), Valerie Villars (14th August 2019), what is a name? (14th August 2019)

35. Link to Post #8238
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wade Frazier (here)

I am not as big a fan of education as you are. Americans are history’s most brainwashed people, and are completely literate.

I have long-discussed my “redneck” background, and in my relatives today, the redneck side cultivates the idea of having military careers, as mesomorphs carry around weapons in their daily lives, while the professional side of my generation can’t seem to imagine becoming a soldier.

So, how are illiterate people easier to conscript than literate ones?

My mother’s side of my family was part of the Scandinavian migration wave in the late 1800s, as my grandfather was born in 1892 in Minnesota, a first-generation American from Norwegian parents, and he was crippled in World War I
    Yes, Indians fought on both sides, reading the infamous resource w......a, it struck me that mutiny was rare, the conscripts on the side of British were 40 times bigger than Indians on the other side. In WWI 70,000 Indians died, USA was 120,000 and Britain 800,000 Indian contribution cant be dismissed. Also while the intense war was not seen in India, they were holding the fort all round the world, even if they were not engaged in intense war (trust is an issue obviously).

I have been brainwashed too, in-groupism is part of every culture. Even so, I consider Fourth Epoch peoples to be more aware of the world and can reason in those terms. Speculating again... I see (predominantly white) educated americans to be more interested in thinking in world wide terms than people of color, who are happy to criticize the system, but rarely think globally in my experience. They are fighting their own battles I understand.. and I used to be that way too thinking only about India. Now I can reason about the lives of poor whites and people all over the world.

Yes there is pride in the military, but actually put them in battle and they start to frag their officers.

Speculating here but illiterate people are easier to manage (like a herd), while literate soldiers might have better skills and become better fighting machines, the risk of mutiny becomes higher, this risk shows up only when things are not going well..... When things are going well, literate or not everyone is ready to kill.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Joseph McAree (16th August 2019), Wade Frazier (14th August 2019)

37. Link to Post #8239
    Thanks

Thanks Krishna:

Interesting ideas, big subjects. Yes, I’ll admit that more white people are going to think globally…because we owned it. I’ll agree that sitting on a farm for one’s entire life is unlikely to make too many people think in global terms. My father never got more than ten miles from where he was born until he was 16. I think that the average Third Epoch villager never got more than five miles from home, and they were illiterate to boot, so, to your point, they would have had a very hard time thinking in global terms.

One day, I may write an essay about rocket scientists, astronauts, and my life. Last month, I wrote about the Moon landings, and other than UFO encounters, the astronauts came back to Earth changed men, especially those who went to the Moon, seeing Earth as a blue marble. That can help form a global awareness.

Back to war, yes, Indians were never going to be relied on where it really counted, similar to American black soldiers’ cleaning the stables, peeling the potatoes, and mopping the floors for the World Wars. Not even good enough to be cannon fodder, so, I guess that Indians outranked American blacks, kind of. So, yes, I can see that oppressed minorities are rarely going to raise their horizons beyond their self-interest or their social circle’s welfare, which is also why I realize that most of my audience is going to be people from industrial nations, as they are not riding the ragged edge of survival like people in developing nations often are. People wondering where their next meal is coming from will not be interested in what I am doing.

On soldiers’ being literate or not, the rise in literacy was definitely something that the ruling class of Fourth Epoch societies encouraged, unlike Third Epoch ones, as a higher skillset was needed to run the machines and processes of industrial societies. Comparing the Third Epoch’s peasant/craftsman roles versus the roles in industrial societies can result in a pretty stark contrast. But with the “education” comes the brainwashing, and Ed and Noam were brilliant in showing how subtle it could be.

So, literate soldiers are going to be much more useful, at least for operating modern weapons, such as controlling a drone. I get brain plasticity, and I’ll allow that in some ways, Fourth Epoch peoples seem “smarter” than Third Epoch ones, and to a degree that is likely true, but I am also reminded of an article that I once read about Americans on the West Coast getting sick and dying from eating mushrooms. I have known people who have gotten sick and died from eating mushrooms. In California, death caps grow, and even though most recent victims have been Asian immigrants, white people have had their fair share. In the article, some natives from New Guinea, I believe, were asked about mushroom eating and telling edibles from poisonous ones, and the natives replied that “only white people are stupid enough to eat poisonous mushrooms.” So, intelligence is an interesting subject, and what Chomsky always admired about people, common sense, has been every human’s birthright, no matter what Epoch they lived in.

Time for bed.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 14th August 2019 at 13:22.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (16th August 2019), Krishna (24th August 2019)

39. Link to Post #8240
    Thanks

Hi:

I often get to reflect on what I am doing, to stand back a little and see how it is going, compared to what my ideal would be. About all that I can do at this stage is make my material as good as I can, and encourage others to do the work and hit the notes. The next two years or so will be one of my last attempts to make my material as good as I can make it, likely capped with publishing a book. More than Mr. Mentor, Dennis, or even Brian, my work is about manifesting the Fifth Epoch, free energy will necessarily form its foundation, and all of my writings are produced with that in mind.

When I seem to veer off into Gary and JFK, the Moon landings, warfare, the latest mass shootings and other outrageous events, there is always a method to my madness, and it is about forming a comprehensive perspective, to help people see the forest from the trees, to winnow the wheat from the chaff, to learn how to not be distracted by the circus and focus on what is important, without getting tunnel vision. It is not an easy trick. I have long written about the qualities that are needed, and won’t belabor them. Those qualities are just what became clear to me over many years and thousands upon thousands of interactions on these subjects.

What the people I seek need to attain is an awareness of free energy’s reality and transformative potential, so that they can keep their eyes on the ball and not disappear down the innumerable rabbit holes that await the naïve and undiscerning. There are so many ways to fail at this task.

I know that if I water it down, play to people’s egos, and go for some kind of message for the masses, I will fail. I am doing something different. As my editor offered to help me do 20 years ago, the wine of my work of 20 years ago has been turned into brandy, and can’t be guzzled in an afternoon. Developing a comprehensive perspective is far from easy, and takes many years to achieve. The lightbulb did not finally go on for me until reading Bucky’s work.

Dennis labored under the most noble of delusions over the years. He initially believed in the system to a level that you rarely find, until his day of awakening in a bank lobby. He still believed in The People, believed what he read in the newspapers, and it took many years for him to go through the stages of awakening to the grim reality: almost nobody really cares, and his allies hurt him more than his assailants did.

Those lessons have informed my efforts ever since the 1980s, but the learning never stops, as I keep refining my work and approach. I might have another 30 good years ahead of me, and will go out like Ed did, active to the end, and we’ll see how it goes.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 14th August 2019 at 13:35.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (16th August 2019), Krishna (24th August 2019), Reinhard (15th August 2019), Valerie Villars (14th August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 412 of 535 FirstFirst 1 312 362 402 412 422 462 512 535 LastLast