Results 7,441 to 7,442 of 7442

Thread: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

1. Link to Post #7441
    United States Avalon Member Wade Frazier's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,823 times in 4,799 posts

Default Re: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

Hi:

I was planning on making a post that takes a break from the integrity thread, but as I sat down to write it, I realized that it is an integrity post, or the lack thereof. I am reading Ian Morris’s books that Krishna mentioned, and so far, my conclusion is going to be, “not bad for a white guy.” Morris mentioned Steven Pinker’s The Better Angels of our Nature as the best book on the modern decline in violence. I found myself rereading Uncle Ed’s critique of Pinker’s book, and Ed, like Noam, was always notable for taking it easy on imperial hacks, usually arguing that they had so deeply imbibed their indoctrination that they were incapable of seeing how irrational their work was, and it took me many years to really understand what Ed was saying. We don’t need to invoke conscious dishonesty or a “conspiracy” when other dynamics produce the same results. But in Ed’s critique of Pinker’s book, Ed outright called Pinker’s work dishonest, and I can see why.

I crunch numbers for a living, and have a pretty good BS detector for when people play games with the numbers to make them say what they want to. Ed showed how Pinker did that repeatedly in Better Angels, and when his statistical gymnastics actually failed to make his bogus points, Pinker then engaged in transparent sophistry to explain the data away.

One of Pinker’s exercises in particular raised my hackles, when he attacked Lancet’s study in violent death in Iraq after the American invasion, and instead embraced the Iraq Body Count numbers, which were admittedly an undercount. Pinker raised the Main Street Bias issue, which a chorus of imperial hacks jumped on in the wake of the publication of Lancet’s study, which is considered the only statistically valid study of Iraq’s violent deaths, and it used best-practice methods. I studied the attacks on Lancet’s study in real-time, when they came out, and it was disgusting. It was just another bunch of imperial hacks trying to cover up genocide.

Pinker is a Canadian at Harvard, and Morris is a Brit at Stanford, and both are, to a degree, bootlicking the USA. Morris much less so, but his praise of Pinker’s book is telling. Bill Gates and other “humanitarians” praised Pinker’s imperial valentine, and then took photo ops with people such as Paul Kagame. Gates’s IQ is a lot higher than mine, so “intelligence” does not seem to have much to do with embracing fraudulent work such as Pinker’s. When “intelligence” meets self-serving indoctrination, indoctrination almost always wins. That is not a high-integrity act. Even people such as Ralph McGehee took many years to wake up to the evil. These dynamics are a big part of why humanity has its toes over the edge of the abyss.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; Today at 17:58.
    My big essay, published in 2014, is here.

2. Link to Post #7442
    United States Avalon Member Wade Frazier's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,823 times in 4,799 posts

Default Re: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

Hi:

As a coda to the previous post, my lessons on integrity were learned before I ever heard of the radical left, and Uncles Ed, Noam, Howard, and Mike. As I digested their amazing work, Orwell came up a lot, and it was in Orwell’s work that I first read about how servile intellectuals are to the powerful, but it did not really hit home deeply until I studied for writing Ed’s biography, as I studied the insane attacks on him and Noam over the years, from leading academic and liberals. I had done it before, but never so intensively. A five-year-old could see through the “logic” of the assailants, but they could not seem to see how bogus their interested-conflicted “rational” opinions were.

That was by no means a new realization, but as I studied for writing Ed’s biography, it hit home like never before how irrational the attacks were, and I realized that the vast majority of the attacks were not consciously dishonest, but they were all about protecting the hand that fed them, and it did not matter if it was an evil hand that slaughtered millions in the name of profit and power. All of today’s dominant ideologies are similar, with their well-paid “intellectuals” flacking for them. It really seems that all of those “smart” people are incapable of understanding how irrational, and ultimately dishonest, their attacks on people like Noam and Ed are, and it once again brings up Brian O’s question: Is humanity a sentient species? And if we are, does it mean much?

My fellow travelers with my highest respect all drank the Kool-Aid, but they all eventually woke up. The imperial pundits will likely all go to their graves repeating their imperial mantras that don’t pass even cursory inspection. It is really something to see, and impinges directly on the integrity issue. But I am going to back up and cover the integrity issue via how I learned my lessons about it.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; Today at 18:33.
    My big essay, published in 2014, is here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 373 of 373 FirstFirst 1 273 323 363 373