Results 7,181 to 7,200 of 10694

Thread: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

1. Link to Post #7181
    United States Avalon Member Wade Frazier's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,632 times in 7,518 posts

Default Re: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

Hi:

Well, I lied a little. One more post or so on the other side, before I get into this side of the veil. When I saw that entity rip the rings off of the channel’s fingers, it was Hermes ripping them off of Tom Massari’s fingers. Tom was a Seth channel, and I don’t know if he is still at it or not. I was at the sessions when Hermes began coming through, before Tom learned to remove his rings (about five of them, as I recall, as Tom was a musician, with that artistic affectation), before channeling. I attended at least 50, and maybe more like 60-70, of Tom’s sessions before moving away to Ohio. Other than the session when I met Seth, in November 1986, as I chased Dennis out to Boston, the sessions were all held in Tom’s home, between LA and Ventura. There were usually about 20-30 of us who attended, jamming his living room. His wife was the social glue of the events. We generally left Tom alone, as he prepared for the sessions. Hollywood types often attended, such as Elizabeth Perkins, whom I sat near but did not even recognize, as Tom/Seth/Hermes/Abrum comprised the main event. My future wife had to tell me later that Perkins was there, with an actress pal who was a regular who acted in soap operas but never got her big break, I believe. Seth flirted with that aspiring actress in the sessions, and it was delightful to see. None of the entities had personalities remotely like Tom’s.

Going to Tom’s channelings every two weeks for more than two years was quite an experience. I have all of the sessions on tape, and plan to digitize them one day. Tom once told me that he once got a message on his answering machine from Jane Roberts, who threatened him with legal action if he did not stop channeling Seth. Tom said that Jane was a pretty negative person, and that Tom did not even know who Seth was for a long time after he began channeling him. Channeling in our world of scarcity and fear can be quite a scene. J.Z. Knight attacked the first woman who became a “full body” channel like her when she channeled Ramtha. The original Michael channels looked askance at others who channeled the Michael entity, as they considered their version to be the only genuine or “best” one. I was close pals with another public channel, who gave me private sessions, and I became quite the channeling student over about a 30-year period. The channels themselves could act scandalously, even when the material was excellent.

I have seen “skeptics” use that channel discord and different flavors of the messages to dismiss all channeling as some kind of scam or delusion. That is what “skeptics” do, as they defend their faith. They attack anything that challenges materialism, or even the scientific establishment. I attended about a hundred channeled sessions over the years, and have had dozens of readings, both by channels and psychics. It has been many years since I have had a reading or attended a channeling, and I don’t plan to again. I rarely read channeled material anymore. I did my time, got my value, and moved on.

The teachings are not all identical, which is another arrow in the quiver of the “skeptics,” but, to me, all that it means is that creation is a big and diverse place, that there are many ways to look at it, and that they all have their validity. It pays to never get too stuck on any one of them. But people often become fanatics of one particular teaching (and New Age groupies abound), and you can see how organized religions work when you see that. Some channelings are better than others, and some channels are fraudulent, or are “channeling” their subconscious or not very enlightened entities from the other side, and channeling “distortion” is always a risk and part of the phenomenon. But that is a small proportion of the channels out there, IMO. As with everything, it pays to be discerning. I have noticed a New Age/conspiracist bent to channelings in recent years, and I don’t want much to do with it. It is not like channels don’t acknowledge Godzilla and friends, because they often do. In my private sessions, I have even been advised on how to deal with them, such as from Zoosh, who said that naming names is where I could get into trouble (I already knew that ), and one channel did not understand how high the interest in us went. Like I stated, you have to be discerning, and I take no channeling as gospel, and the best channels say to never do that in the first place.

However, with all of the diversity in channeled teachings, there were some constants that could be seen, and I’ll list some here:
    • I never saw a modern channel deny that reincarnation was a fact;
    • We are all in physical reality for a reason, and each reason is unique;
    • Oblivion awaits nobody;
    • We are all ultimately one, and we are all equal in the Creator’s eyes;
    • It is all about love, which is the energy of creation.

To me, that is the gist of the channeling phenomenon and what I took from it. If I had not already been mystically awakened, I doubt that I would have gone down the channeling path at all, or it would not have meant much to me.

Mystical students can also see controversies play out on the nature of physical reality, from positions that it is all a big accident that the Creator never intended to it is a halfway house for “fallen” souls to regain their divine awareness, or that it is specially created as Creation’s basement, where form is born, and without it, Creation would be a missing something important. I am somewhat sympathetic to all of those views, but I just keep marching on the path put in front of me, and that can sort itself out later. I am surely in no position to adjudicate the truth of that controversy. Maybe I will be let in on the joke after my earthly life has ended.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 16th November 2017 at 13:48.
    My big essay, published in 2014, is here.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Bluegreen (14th November 2017), Charles Harris (14th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (13th November 2017), Invictos (30th November 2017), Joe Akulis (27th November 2017), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (14th November 2017)

3. Link to Post #7182
    Thanks

Hi:

I found out in the past hour that Uncle Ed has died. I literally got home from an all-nighter at the office to get this news. I am grief-stricken at the moment. As I am sure many of my readers suspected, my next step, after publishing a draft of his bio, was to do battle at Wikipedia. Ed’s Wikipedia bio is truly execrable today, and this project came about when I remarked in my birthday greeting to Ed how terrible his Wikipedia bio was, and he asked me to rewrite it. Being Ed, he was emphatic that I was under no obligation to, even though that Wikipedia bio was sickening to him. But writing his bio was truly a labor of love. I told Ed that I would get something good at Wikipedia this year, and that is still my plan.

As with Brian, I would gladly do battle with the “editors” at Wikipedia on Ed’s behalf, and I can easily live with Brian’s Wikipedia bio as it stands today. I hope that I will be able to put up something as lasting at Wikipedia for Ed, but I will always have the originals on my site, where Wikipedia’s “editors” can’t get at it.

Best,

Wade

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Billy (16th November 2017), Bluegreen (14th November 2017), Bruno (15th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (14th November 2017), Gracy (15th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (15th November 2017), kudzy (15th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017), ThePythonicCow (14th November 2017)

5. Link to Post #7183
    United States Avalon Member Foxie Loxie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,639 times in 2,960 posts

So sorry to hear of your loss! Good to know how you honor these heroes!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foxie Loxie For This Post:

Billy (16th November 2017), Bluegreen (14th November 2017), Bruno (15th November 2017), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017), Wade Frazier (14th November 2017)

7. Link to Post #7184
    Thanks

Hi:

I will be getting over Ed’s death for a while. Ed had a good run, living to be 92. If I have remotely as productive a writing life, it will have been an insanely good run. Ed has been my role model on that score. Ed and I only corresponded. I had an idea that I might visit him after I finished my bio project on him, but that day will never come. The bio project will include improving some Wikipedia articles related to Ed, and I will write an essay like I did about Brian. But I obviously did not know Ed as well. That said, we had a wonderful writing relationship over about twenty years, and we corresponded every year, sometimes multiple times.

I literally addressed him as “Uncle Ed” fairly often, and he even signed off an email or two as Uncle Ed. He was delightful like that. Ed was funny, which was part of my attraction to his work, but the quality of his work brought me to him. What a giant. In the past few years, I remarked on the huge shoes that he, Noam and Howard would leave to fill, and he replied, “They aren’t empty yet!”

As with Brian, when Ed asked me to do his Wikipedia bio, I think that he knew that the end was coming, even though he stressed in recent years that he was in relatively good health. Ed brought me into his circle, I heard from some of them yesterday, and the theme was about what a wonderful man he was.

I published that biography draft one week before he passed, and after fixing a couple of typos, I am going to preserve that draft on my site. My final bio will be beefed up a little, and maybe with some help from Ed’s pals.

I always thought that Ed was a better writer than Noam, but that is like comparing the virtues of Buddha and Jesus. Ed had an article in Z Magazine literally every month until his 90s, so I read Ed’s work every month. It was always the first thing that I read in each issue. While Noam is one of history’s most prolific writers, as well as humanity’s most towering intellectual today, I read Ed’s work more often, partly because of Z Magazine. Even though I have read Ed’s work since 1990, when I subscribed to Lies of our Times, the process of writing that bio draft was somewhat mind-boggling. Last spring, when I began the project, I did not have his early Vietnam writings, so I immediately bought them and studied them, and then worked my way through his oeuvre. I had already read most of it, but rereading older works and then studying his newer works over the past several months was an unforgettable experience.

Even though Ed said that his health was good, as I worked on his bio, I wondered if he would live to see it finished. His public writing dropped off in his last months, and I heard from him only once since he asked me to do his bio. I wondered if his health had slipped, and now I know.

When Ed passed, the angels were lined up ten deep, with trumpets. I’ll meet him in the “flesh” on the other side, one day, after my earthly work is finished, and I hope that I have 30 more good years ahead of me. Ed was crazily prolific, clear into his 90s, and is my inspiration.

There is a lot more to write about Ed, and I will in the coming weeks and months.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 15th November 2017 at 14:04.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Billy (16th November 2017), Bruno (15th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (15th November 2017), kudzy (15th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017), ThePythonicCow (15th November 2017)

9. Link to Post #7185
    Thanks

Hi:

Boy, have I been hearing from some heavy hitters about Ed since yesterday, and with offers to help on my bio project. It brings tears to my eyes. A giant has left us.

Best,

Wade

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Billy (16th November 2017), Bruno (16th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (15th November 2017), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (15th November 2017), kudzy (15th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017), ThePythonicCow (15th November 2017)

11. Link to Post #7186
    Thanks

Hi:

The eulogies are coming in for Ed (1, 2, 3). I am also hearing from some of his closest colleagues, and so far, nothing but praise for my bio draft and offers to help tackle Ed’s Wikipedia bio, as we will likely be fighting the hacks. I have had my work at Wikipedia summarily erased by the “editors” before, several times, and had battles over Brian’s bio before it ended up in pretty good shape that I can live with. This figures to be a bigger battle, but for Ed’s memory, it will be worth it. I hope to have a Wikipedia bio up by year-end.

Here is an interview with Ed that I gleaned off of the Internet. Here are some videos (1, 2, 3, 4).

Best,

Wade

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Billy (16th November 2017), Bruno (16th November 2017), Chris Gilbert (19th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (16th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017)

13. Link to Post #7187
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,557 times in 5,028 posts

My condolences for losing a friend and a hero Wade.
    After listening to Ed Herman on one of the videos you linked above. He had such great insight, I think he deserves his own in loving memory thread.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Bruno (16th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (16th November 2017), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017), Wade Frazier (16th November 2017)

15. Link to Post #7188
    Thanks

Thanks Billy. Do you want to start one?

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Bruno (16th November 2017), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (16th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017)

17. Link to Post #7189
    Thanks

Hi:

I have put up my final “pre-death” bio draft on Ed, and will now begin work on my final big bio for him, and then it will be off to the Wikipedia version, then doing battle with the “editors.” We will see if I can get it all done this year. I have been in contact with a bunch of Ed’s pals, and our interactions are bringing up memories of Ed. Here are a couple. These will also make it into an essay that I will write about Ed, kind of like I did for Brian.

I can’t overemphasize the scholarly learning experience that I got at the knees of Noam, Howard, and Ed. While Noam and Howard were among my most gracious correspondents ever, Ed was the only one of that trio that I kept in contact with. Interacting with Ed could be very educational, and one anecdote came to mind yesterday. If you look at the list of Ed’s books, it is obvious how collaborative he was, and several of the people that I heard from since Ed’s death were his collaborators, and they all remarked on what a wonderful collaborator and man Ed was.

One collaborator was Christopher Black, and they wrote an article together on Louise Arbour, which made the compelling case that she was really a war criminal, not somebody who should be a prosecutor in war crimes tribunals. I’ll use that article in Ed’s bio, and while rereading that article yesterday (I read all of Ed’s Z Magazine articles for 25 years, and they were the first thing that I read in each issue for as long as I can remember), it took me back to the 1990s, when Ed was helping to educate me, and not just with his prodigious published output. I began the full-time work that led to my 2002 site in 1997, and sometimes wrote letters to the editor, such as this one that predicted something like 9/11.

I donated to Amnesty International in those days, and I began getting pleas from them to ask the authorities to deliver Milosevic to The Hague.  The Hague’s war crimes tribunal was obviously a kangaroo court from the outset, and I still had a bit of naïveté to shed.  I was shocked when I got those pleas from Amnesty International, and I asked Ed about it.  He agreed that it was scandalous, and wrote that he only donated to local human rights groups anymore, and he mentioned one in the Balkans, if I recall correctly.  I never donated to Amnesty International again.  In 2002, Ed wrote a couple of articles in Z that exposed Human Rights Watch as an imperial tool (here is a later article).  I asked him if he was going to follow it with one on Amnesty International, and he said that he was not planning to, as Amnesty was not as bad as Human Rights Watch.  I was tickled when I read Ed and David give it to Amnesty in Enduring Lies (p. 67) more than a decade later, and he wrote an article in Z little more than a year later that repeated it.

The next anecdote is kind of funny. People have been attacking or promoting my work for more than 20 years, and back around 2001, a woman began promoting my work. She was one of those New Agey Beverly Hills housewives, and our relationship did not last that long, maybe a year or two, but as the drums began beating for the Iraq invasion, which I wrote plenty about, desperately (and that letter was written exactly 15 years before Ed died, as I just realized), I got that woman in contact with Ed.

I can’t overemphasize what a wonderful correspondent Ed was. He was so friendly, honest, and insightful that almost anybody who interacted with him wanted more (until they got one of their oxen gored, which has been the case with me, too, over the years), and so it went with that woman activist. Actually, it got “worse”: she got the hots for him! It was kind of embarrassing, not only because Ed was a devoted husband and about 75 years old at the time. I was not trying to play matchmaker, but it is easy to see how a woman like that could fall for Ed, even just through correspondence. I never heard how that “romance” ended, but I am sure that Ed was able to end it amicably. Oh, the hazards of being Ed!

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 17th November 2017 at 16:14.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (17th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (17th November 2017), kudzy (17th November 2017), Limor Wolf (17th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017)

19. Link to Post #7190
    Thanks

Hi:

Ed’s pals helped get a decent obituary in Washington Post, which Ed’s last article lambasted. That obituary was far better than the black eulogies that the mainstream published when Howard Zinn died. I traded email with Ed when Howard died, and Ed called Howard an “awfully good man.” The New York Times, which Ed spent much of his media analysis career studying, had a perfunctory obit that made the rounds in the mainstream. All in all, not bad. Here is another eulogy from one of Ed’s pals.

I have a lot more to write on Ed. The subject of structural analysis versus conspiracy theories is near and dear to my heart, and is a highly controversial issue amongst the Left. As Uncle Mike stated, many in the Left have a “conspiracy-phobia,” but Ed was not one of them. In his Doublespeak Dictionary, Ed defined a Magic Bullet as:

“One that wends its way through several bodies, smashing bones on the way, but ends up in pristine condition, conveniently located for police attribution to the gun of choice.”

In his Doublespeak Dictionary, Ed defined a Conspiracy Theory as:

“A critique or explanation that I find offensive.”

Ed’s deep structural analysis was invaluable, which informed his advice on reforming the media. He cautioned media activists from thinking that a few clever laws were going to do the trick, not with the deep structural constraints on the media that he and Noam examined.

Ed read my account of Gary’s conversation with John Tower three weeks after the JFK hit and was intrigued, and even leaving that conversation aside, which I consider incontrovertible fact, the Magic Bullet is indeed arguably the key piece of evidence that shows what a sham the Warren Commission was. Ed and Noam did not always sing the same song, such as Noam’s Rethinking Camelot, which challenged the idea that the CIA had any motivation to kill JFK (it certainly did, IMO). Ed mixed it up with the “Left” often, such as his fisticuffs with the “Cruise Missile Left,” which was behavior that Noam would not engage in, as it tended to “divide the Left,” which Noam thinks that “conspiracy theories” also do. That is a big subject that I won’t get into today, but I wanted to show that Ed was not a typical leftist.

Ed reviewed my site long ago and said that I did it how he wanted to do it, organizationally, to put his work all under one roof. Ed’s work is scattered far and wide, and his output dwarfed mine. He would have needed a full-time assistant to put all of his work under one roof. Ed was a man of his generation, and writing books and articles for publication in print was his style, and that was fine. The stacks of his books next to my desk right now comprise a gold mine of insightful analysis, but Ed also took advantage of the Internet, and many of his later works were primarily or exclusively available online. It is beyond my means to do it, but a very worthy project would be to put all of his work online on one site. But it would be a monstrous task. I may host some of his work on my site as it disappears off of the Internet, as a book on Srebrenica already has from its original site, but has been preserved here for now.

For my big essay, I have been hosting documents that have disappeared from the Internet, which I used in my essay. Even though it was once erased by one of Wikipedia’s “editors,” who I believe was somebody’s employee while defacing Brian’s Wikipedia bio, Brian’s doctoral thesis exists only on my site today, after NASA removed it from theirs, soon after I published Brian’s Wikipedia bio. Coincidence? I have experienced many such “coincidences” during my publishing career on the Internet. I don’t lose any sleep over it, but I doubt that they were all “coincidental,” and I may host some of Ed’s work on my site one day, as it slowly disappears from the Internet. So, I can see the virtue of books these days, although I have yet to locate Ed’s The Great Society Dictionary, which was a precursor to his Doublespeak Dictionary.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 18th November 2017 at 18:28.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Chris Gilbert (19th November 2017), Foxie Loxie (18th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (18th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017), Reinhard (21st November 2017)

21. Link to Post #7191
    Thanks

Hi:

Ed and I surprisingly had professional overlaps, too, and they were not insignificant. I did not realize the extent of them until I worked on his bio. Ed taught economics at Wharton (and was very good at it, as one of his pupils once told me), and I went to business school. Ed taught at one of the top institutions on Earth, and I was a record-setting business school student, and I was led to business school in my first instance of otherworldly guidance. When I began my auditing career, I worked on banks, some of the largest on Earth. My idealism tried to make sense of my business school training in the real world. It was not easy to see, and led to a funny event.

I saw the Savings and Loan Scandal from the inside, before it became a scandal. I was assigned to a very high exposure audit of one of the world’s largest savings and loans banks as it was going under, in what became one of the most famous and earliest events of the Savings and Loan Scandal. I was still trying to figure out my profession, and what the partner who ran the job told me, a month into that engagement, helped me figure it out years later. There was a fatal conflict of interest at the core of my profession: we were providing financial regulation, but the targets of our regulation paid our salaries. It was like hiring the cops that “policed” you. That practice turned public watchdogs into corporate lapdogs, and rendered my profession essentially worthless. We only kept honest companies honest, and that conflict of interest exists today. I am the only accountant that I know of who has ever publicly pointed it out.

Many years ago, I read Ed mention the conflict of interest in the auditing profession, and it was the only time that I ever saw it mentioned in any media, even though Ed worked on the fringes. Ed and I never discussed it, but it was one of the many Twilight Zone moments of my journey when I began doing Ed’s bio, and learned that his early claim to fame was pointing out conflicts of interest at savings and loans!

Ed and I were professional comrades-in-arms, pointing out how the emperor was stark naked, but that was not part of our relationship, strangely. However, it did lead me to trying to wake Ed up to a bigger picture in economics, but Ed never went there. I can sort through my emails with Ed and find when it was, but I think that it was about 15 years ago when I tried to get Ed to think about economics in energy terms. Ed admitted that he probably should undertake that task, but he never did. Ed often pointed out the Chicago School’s bogus economic framework. Very early on, as I tried to make sense of the world, economic theory bothered me. I got plenty of it in school, but it seemed obsessed with prices and money. I intuitively knew that it was missing important aspects of economic reality. It did not seem to deal with the real world very well, especially after my first wild stint with Dennis. There were no such things as free markets. They were as mythical as unicorns, but economists and the media treated them as if they were real. Economic theory was bedtime stories for adults.

But it was not until I studied for my big essay that I was able to articulate what the problems of economic theory were. Neoclassical economics, which is what economics of both the right and left are based on, is an invalid ideological framework that ignores the real world in favor of social theories of market equilibrium. When I completed the 2002 version of my site, one of Bucky Fuller’s pupils called me a “comprehensivist,” and I did not know what he meant. He had me read some of Bucky’s work, the lightbulb went on for me, and my work has been consciously comprehensive ever since. I was a seat-of-the-britches comprehensivist but did not know it, and seeing Bucky present a comprehensivist perspective was the final step in crystallizing the paradigm that I had been groping toward for 20 years. I long ago saw how greed and fear were cornerstones of economic and capitalistic theory, and I knew that there was something wrong with that, but it still took many years for me to describe just what the problem was.

Right after reading Bucky’s work, I was introduced to the Peak Oilers. I saw the disdain that scientists had for economists, but I had yet to more fully understand the problems with economic theory, although I was getting there. I began to see how economic theory was founded on an assumption of scarcity. After interacting with the leading Peak Oil spokesman, who feigned interest in free energy technology, I was able to finally express what I had been seeing for many years: people were addicted to scarcity. Another way of saying it was that people have made many adaptations to scarcity, and their adaptations are how they eat and survive. Free energy and what comes with it will put an end to scarcity and usher in a super-epoch of abundance. Nearly everybody reacts to the idea of free energy and abundance with denial and fear, which could take many guises. What all of those reactions of denial and fear had in common was the understanding that free energy would end the world as they knew it, and they had dug out their niche of hell and were not about to budge. Even if free energy could turn Earth into something resembling heaven, all that they could see was their niche disappearing.

When I finally read a book on energy and economics, as I was writing my big essay, the last pieces finally fell into place for me, and I clearly saw the big picture of how off-base modern economic theory was. But I had already been writing for years that all dominant ideologies on Earth are founded on the scarcity assumption, and how all will become obsolete in the super-epoch of abundance. I gradually realized how we were swimming upstream against all dominant ideologies on Earth. As I elucidated the Epochal framework of my big essay, which was years in the making, I gradually understood that nobody in world history saw the next Epoch before it happened. They could not even imagine it. Then it became very clear to me why people reacted to the idea of free energy and abundance like they did. They will only begin to understand when they can experience it, not before. It took a 40-year journey for me to come to that understanding, and I was not there yet when I tried to introduce Ed to Brian, back around the time of our NEM days.

I tried it more than once with Ed, but he never took me up on it. With Ed, you would get a polite silence. I never even tried to tell Ed about my bizarre journey. But Brian was an ex-astronaut, fellow Ivy League professor, advisor to presidential candidates, and explorer of the fringes. Brian had some credentials. But I was never able to interest Ed in interacting with Brian, to my lasting sadness. That was a delicate area for me. On one hand, he was Uncle Ed to me, and I had been learning at his scholarly knee for more than a decade. On the other, free energy and abundance blows all of today’s economic theory out of the water. Ed was a scientist of a scholar, and one of his hobbies was astronomy, and Brian was an astronomer to boot. How could Ed pass this up? Well, he surely had his hands very full with the work he was doing, and probably considered this free energy stuff to just be a distraction from his important work, and I could not blame him for seeing it that way. However, the public arrival of free energy will be the biggest event in the human journey, by far. Nothing else comes remotely close, as humanity will form a Type 1 civilization.

So, after those attempts to interest Ed in energy and economics, and free energy and abundance, I stopped, and never brought it up again for the remaining 13 years of our relationship. Ed was far from alone, however, and the last thing that I would ever do would be to get on Ed’s case. I greatly respected what he had committed his life to, and worked with him inside of that framework. It turned out that I never interested anybody in the so-called radical left in free energy. Their ideology got in the way, as it does for nearly everybody, which is one more reason why I know that I seek needles in haystacks. The rad left is hacking at branches, IMO, just like all of the other activists on Earth. Rad lefties can have sophisticated reasons for denying free energy’s possibility and desirability, and I have called such deniers Level 3s. In ways, they are the most frustrating level to deal with, with their “laws of physics” and “conspiracy theory” objections. I long ago learned to relinquish judgment of the situation and just accept it. If I could not get Ed interested, what chance did I have with any other lefties? Progressives could be particularly obtuse on the subject. Reshuffling the deck of scarcity, playing the exchange game, is not going to solve humanity’s problems, as we have our toes over the edge of the abyss. As Uncle Bucky said, there are no political solutions to this problem. Retail politics are meaningless, and sitting American presidents are puppets and know it. JFK was the last president who thought that he could make a dent, and he was rudely disabused of that notion.

But for what Ed had focused his efforts on, media analysis, he was best that I had seen or heard of. So, I stayed within Ed’s framework in our relationship, and here I am, carrying his spears, even after he is gone. I carried Mr. Mentor’s spears for many years, then Dennis’s, then Brian’s, and now Ed’s. I also helped carry Ralph McGehee’s and even Gary’s. Carrying their spears was among my life’s greatest honors and pleasures, but there is nobody left in my life to carry spears for, other than my wife and cats. Carrying spears is in my blood, but I think that carrying Ed’s is going to be the last time that I do it for anybody. It is time to get my task done, and I have devoted the rest of my life’s “spare” time to its pursuit.

With this post, I am going to stop reminiscing about Ed and get on with the task of writing my final bio for him, making the Wikipedia version, publishing it, and doing battle with Wikipedia’s “editors.” Part of me is not looking forward to it, but as with Brian, I am happy to do it for those giants among men. I have also had offers of help from Ed’s pals, so this might go easier. We’ll see how it goes.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 19th November 2017 at 20:16.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (19th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (20th November 2017), Melinda (20th November 2017), Reinhard (19th November 2017)

23. Link to Post #7192
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Progressives could be particularly obtuse on the subject. Reshuffling the deck of scarcity..., is not going to solve humanity’s problems,
    Reshuffling the deck of scarcity is what we have done as hunter gatherers, enforcing egalitarian norms on the small band. Progressives I feel embody that evolutionary past, looking beyond scarcity when it is the most important force shaping us is very hard.

I had to overcome my ride-a-bike thinking, free/open source software movement helped me a lot as did your essay and Amartya Sen. The left has been of no help in this matter, they have been more proponents of sharing what we have.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (20th November 2017), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Wade Frazier (20th November 2017)

25. Link to Post #7193
    Thanks

Hi Krishna:

Yes, we have always been reshuffling the deck of scarcity. The human journey has seen brief golden ages of relative abundance, until the energy ran out. You are right, that scarcity is insidious, and once people accept it like the air they breathe, then they can’t even see how they constantly bend under its force, like constantly leaning into the wind. People don’t even realize that they do it. Part of what I am doing is pointing out that issue. Only if people become aware that they are doing it can they dare to imagine something else, which is part of the point behind my choir idea. It is part of being sentient.

However, I don’t expect to find many people willing and able to do that, but I don’t need that many of them, not relative to the more than seven billion people that we share the planet with. The so-called “left” is more “advanced” then the “right,” as far as their souls’ development (mature souls versus baby and young souls) and personal integrity goes, but yes, like everybody else, they can’t see past their Epoch, stuck in scarcity, unwilling and unable to see past it to abundance. This is part of the conundrum.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 20th November 2017 at 13:36.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (20th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017)

27. Link to Post #7194
    Thanks

Hi:

It is time to report on a book that I recently read, on the rise of civilization, titled Against the Grain. I bought another of that author’s books, and will digest it, too. Not that I agree with his entire hypothesis, but his book was a good source of information, and part of it will make it into my big essay update. In a way, the book was a history of the Third Epoch, although the author likely did not see it that way. He focused on the rise of civilization, but because the author, James Scott, is a political science professor, his orientation is social organization, so his work was all about the state versus the “barbarians” who lived outside of states. IMO, that orientation stunted his perspective, but there was also good stuff in the book and, as usual, for works like his, I’ll plunder his footnotes.

Scott’s work mostly focused in the rise and fall of Sumer, but also took in the other pristine civilizations, and he noted that they were all based on grain. Grain had the virtue of ripening at the same time and being easily taxable. There has been debate for millennia on the rise of civilization, and the two positions are that the people joined civilization for the benefits it conferred, and that civilization was a way that elites could exploit the energy surpluses created by the masses. Scott made the second argument and went even further: civilization was a creation of elites, as they were nothing more than criminals who enslaved the masses to build civilization. Scott argued that there was no agricultural surplus until incipient elites created peasants and slaves to produce it. Otherwise, the “surplus” was spent by people in leisure. Nobody tried to save grain for a rainy day. I doubt that it worked quite like that.

Also, Scott also bought the “there was no collapse” thesis promoted by some sloppy scientist/scholars. He also tried to universalize the process, but the New World’s dynamic of civilization was dramatically different from the Old World’s, partly because the New World’s “barbarians” did not have domestic animals of significance.

Part of his work I agree with, in that the intensively farmed fields became the “grain core” that formed the basis of civilization, with its energy surplus, and controlling that surplus was what civilization rode atop. If the grain core failed, so did civilization. But Scott was quite speculative on the ends of early civilizations, primarily attributing it to epidemic disease. But if a civilization was built around an energy engine, and there were not many places on Earth conducive to building the first ones, and the agrarian mode of production only worked in a few places early on, why would it be abandoned forever, as the ruins of many ancient civilizations attest? Wouldn’t it get used again, when the epidemic passed? And since the grain core had the densest populations, when they were abandoned, where did the population go? Into the waiting arms of the barbarians?

Humans have been intensely territorial since the late Second Epoch, and those migrations from collapsed grain cores can’t have been peaceful, and I doubt that a large fraction of the civilized peoples survived the collapse. Scott argued that the collapse was often just an elite political collapse, while the peasants did fine. Again, I have my doubts. It may have happened in some instances, but far from all.

That said, his book gave plenty of food for thought. I may have to add another “golden age” to my narrative: the golden age of the barbarian. Scott showed how the “barbarians” of Eurasia, primarily mounted on horseback, also exploited the grain core with attacks, which in the “best” situations evolved into a protection racket (or they conquered and set themselves up as the new elite), similar to the games that urban elites played, so the barbarians also enjoyed the benefit of the grain core’s energy surplus. That dynamic did not play out in the New World, without horses, draft animals, and milk, so Scott’s hypothesis is far less than universal.

But Scott ended his book with a lament, that the two primary civilization-related activities of barbarians dug their own graves: selling their neighbors into slavery in the grain cores, and becoming military protectors of the grain cores from other civilizations and other barbarians. That “golden age” was not too golden.

What Scott got right, however, was describing the environments that were conducive to building civilizations, and focusing on Sumer, the first civilization, was appropriate, and Eridu, the first city, farmed, fished, herded, and even did some gathering, and only later was the “grain core” developed.

Scott is of an anarchist bent, and it pays to keep that in mind when reading his work. That he embraced the sloppy work in Questioning Collapse says a lot about him as a scholar (he praised Yoffee, but Yoffee helped edit the book, which arguably libeled Jared Diamond). That said, it pays to read “heretical” works, as there can often be something to them.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 21st November 2017 at 15:01.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (20th November 2017), Reinhard (21st November 2017)

29. Link to Post #7195
    Thanks

Hi:

More on the big picture. I regard the other side as very real, just as everybody who had an NDE does, had OOBs, etc. That said, we are here for a reason, and for all of the undeniable cruelty of this dimension, this is an important place where consciousness comes to evolve, in Creation’s basement. Love is the energy of Creation, and we have come to find and express it in Creation’s densest, cruelest dimension. We are either Creation’s idiots or its bravest denizens, or both. Manifesting love and sentience in this dimension is no easy trick, and those mired in fear here have my sympathy.

The orthodox scientific position is that the physical universe came into being in an instant called the Big Bang. However, there are increasing challenges, even from within the mainstream, that the universe had a more “quantum” beginning, as it slowly flashed into existence. Flashed into existence from what? Are time and space truly infinite, with no beginnings or endings? Seth has said as much, but you will also see a spectrum of mystical opinion. On the other side, time and space eventually lose their meaning, even what we call form, as beings evolve on their way back to the godhead. But while we are here, they define our existence and are important. Einstein said as a half-joke that according to his general theory of relativity, if you removed all matter and energy from this universe, time and space would go with them. The quantum paradox shows that our scientific theories have a long way to go, and what my friend was shown blows today’s mainstream physics out of the water.

I can’t claim that my mystical orientation brought me to my strategy, but when I stood back and looked at it, of amassing enough integrity and sentience to form the choir, that might be able to make a dent, with its harmonic and practical effects, I realized that it was in alignment with the mystical principles that I was taught. Seth’s statements on practical idealism stuck with me and helped comprise the stars that I steered by during my days with Dennis. If we had failed the integrity tests, we would not have gotten very far at all. If I think about it, I suppose that my mystical training did have something to do with developing my strategy, as my mystical radar would have gone off if I had strayed very far (I have lived far from the saintly life). But when I think about it more, my theme of integrity and sentience merely reflects what I learned during my journey, of what worked and what didn’t. It was kind of like I learned the truth of those mystical ideas as I went out and tried to make a dent. It was a most secular education, however, and often it was only later that the mystical significance came clear, even when crazily mystical events propelled me on my journey. That voice in my head only made suggestions the first two times that I heard from it. It was up to me to live it. That seems to be how it works here. The most enlightened channelings are only pep talks. They can’t do much of anything for us other than lend some perspective. We are the ones living here, not them.

As I think about my Epochal perspective of the human journey, of each Epoch riding on the energy surplus of each mode of production, how much of that came from my mystical background? In ways, it does not seem that way at all, and in others, I can see the connection. I’ll say this: when that voice spoke to me the first time, I literally had no idea what I was getting into. The idea that I had been set on the pursuit of the biggest event in the human journey only began coming clear to me in the past decade, when I began studying for what became my big essay. Do I thank that voice, or curse it? My life was wrecked more than once because of my journey, but I can’t regret it, even though my life has been filled with cruelty, often directed at me. It seems to have come with the territory. Dennis had it infinitely worse. Mr. Professor had a ruined and prematurely ended life, thanks to meeting me. Brian’s life was shortened due to his adventures on the fringes. I had it relatively easy, I am the last man standing in my circle, and I carry on partly for them.

Even when I was 16, with my first energy dreams, I knew that energy was a big deal, but I had no idea how big. Only two things undeniably exist in our universe: energy and consciousness. As I studied the journey of life on Earth, those also became the evident themes, as life continually found new ways to harness, preserve, and use energy, and humanity took the game to levels never seen before, with our “intelligence” and tool-making abilities. We are at the brink of becoming a truly sentient species, or we are going to leave Earth to the cockroaches and bacteria, and with each passing year, the muddle-through middle-ground options continue to shrink. And almost nobody knows or cares, as they egocentrically pursue their lives of quiet desperation, with their existence defined by scarcity and fear. In ways, the lessons of my journey were a booby prize, and in others, they showed me what would not work for manifesting a world of abundance, love, and sentience. Even if all of that mystical stuff was just wishful thinking, I would not change my approach.

Coming posts will get more into the details of the big picture that I see, and the learning never ends.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 22nd November 2017 at 02:48.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (21st November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (21st November 2017), Krishna (21st November 2017), Reinhard (21st November 2017)

31. Link to Post #7196
    Thanks

Hi:

Well, I’m not quite done with Ed yet. The New York Times (NYT) had an obituary that was its second on Ed. The NYT’s first was perfunctory. As the NYT was Ed’s favorite target, it could have been far more scathing.

I think that Ed would have liked the NYT’s obit, as it illustrated his work quite well. One part read:

“One case study, for example, asked why a single Polish priest murdered by the Communists was more newsworthy than another cleric killed by a Washington-sponsored Latin American dictator.”

Actually, it was why the Polish priest’s death was more than 100 times as newsworthy. That obit deftly underplayed the magnitude.

The next part of it stated:

Manufacturing Consent was severely criticized as having soft-pedaled evidence of genocide in Cambodia, Rwanda and, during the Bosnia war, Srebrenica.”

That is actually wrong. The conflicts in Rwanda and Bosnia had not yet happened when Manufacturing Consent was published in 1988. In the second edition of Manufacturing Consent, published in 2002, only Serbia/Kosovo is mentioned in Yugoslavia, and only in comparing the disparity of how the media described the events as “genocide.” Bosnia and Srebrenica were never mentioned in any edition of Manufacturing Consent, and neither was Rwanda. Ed wrote about the events in Bosnia at length later, and again in the context of the media’s treatment of the events. Ed was a media critic above all else.

The next section of Ed’s NYT obituary is very misleading, too:

“Dr. Herman and Professor Chomsky argued that in assessing the killings they were seeking an accurate count rather than relying on unreliable reports by survivors. In the civil wars in Rwanda and Bosnia, they said, the victors had exaggerated the toll to justify their rise to power and their pro-Western policies.”

“In the case of Cambodia, they said, the toll had been overstated by enemies of the brutal Khmer Rouge Communist regime, which, the authors wrote, had “dealt with fundamental problems rooted in the feudal past and exacerbated by the imperial system.”

“Among their critics was Professor Gitlin, who wrote in an email, “It’s crucial to their Manichaean view of the world that the suffering of the Cambodians is less important than their need to pin the damage done to Cambodia in the 1970s primarily on the American bombing that preceded the rise of the Khmer Rouge to power — bombing that was indeed heinous, ruinous, and did contribute to the rise of the Khmer Rouge, but that was only the prologue to the horrendous crimes that followed at the hands of the Khmer Rouge.”

Gitlin’s email treads very closely to the “genocide denial” charges that have always been falsely attributed to Ed and Noam. The entire point of Ed’s and Noam’s writings on Cambodia, Rwanda, and Bosnia was how the American media treated those events, not the objective truth about any of them. Those were all nefarious genocides in Ed and Noam’s framework. Ed would have pointed out that their work on Cambodia was explicitly about the American media’s treatment of it, particularly in contrast to the slaughters in Indonesia and East Timor, which were constructive and benign bloodbaths/genocides, which the American media either cheered or was silent on. Regarding Rwanda, Ed wrote extensively about how the media had literally turned reality upside down. Ed wrote for many years about the situation in Yugoslavia and how the media misrepresented the situation there.

So, Ed would have likely congratulated NYT on performing its propaganda function by almost completely missing the point of his work. Ed’s work was focused on the media, and the NYT in particular. Any cursory reading of Ed’s and Noam’s work shows what it was about, but the NYT turned it on its head, as usual. The NYT’s obituary was a fitting tribute to Ed, proving his point.

That said, I saw black eulogies when Howard Zinn died, and it was nice seeing Jeff Cohen get the last word. The obituary could have been worse.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 22nd November 2017 at 15:25.

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (22nd November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (26th November 2017), Krishna (22nd November 2017), Melinda (28th November 2017)

33. Link to Post #7197
    Thanks

Hi:

Cosmology is far from settled. In the past year, universal effects predicted by the models of cosmic inflation have not been found, bringing up the question of whether inflation really happened. The Big Bang is far from a universally accepted event. My thinking is that when the ETs finally come into the open, we can ask them what they think. That said, it seems very likely that elements heavier than hydrogen were made in star cores, as the pressure of gravity fused nuclei. I consider it very likely that Earth is part of a star system that formed several billion years ago from the detritus of a formerly exploded star. Star systems form from what are called accretion disks, as gravity draws together the detritus in the galactic vicinity and fusion begins again. White and brown dwarfs may outnumber the other stars in our galaxy. Today, cosmologists hypothesize the existence of dark matter and dark energy, which supposedly makes up most of our physical universe, but they have not been observed. The foundations of cosmology are anything but firm, and the principles underlying the technologies that my pal was shown will mean a wholesale revision of physics, and the religion of our Epoch, materialism, will also go into the dustbin of human ideologies when the Fifth Epoch arrives.

So, there are great limitations in today’s scientific practice, particularly where Godzilla’s realm is concerned. Just like there is no free press, a true democracy, or a free market, there is no purely pursued science today. That said, some areas are less restricted than others, and I have yet to hear of a fossil dig that has been classified. Scientists can study geology, cosmology, paleontology, and even anthropology relatively free from interference from the global rackets. So, the story of the journey of life on Earth that I tell in my big essay I believe is relatively “pure,” and all hypotheses and theories are subject to challenge, always, as new evidence come to light, as investigative tools improve and scientists find ingenious ways to use them. In many fields, big questions are still there, begging to be addressed.

That said, in coming posts is the big picture that I see today. For me, what is more important than the “right” answer on any of these issues is understanding how the questions are raised, how they are pursued, what the evidence is, how it is interpreted, and the like. Trying to imagine a star forming, how plants and animals first colonized land, how dinosaurs and early humans lived, is kind of what it is all about, for the best scientists.

It is the process of science that is important, not any extraordinary finding of the day, which may go into the dustbin tomorrow. The ideal of science is reproducible evidence. For instance, what I and my fellow travelers learned is easily reproducible; just go bring disruptive energy technology to market or demonstrate a working free energy prototype. People will then begin to learn how our world really works, if they survive the experience.

I will focus on my home planet and the solar system it resides in for the following narrative. A lot of it will be in my upcoming update of my big essay.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 23rd November 2017 at 15:33.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (23rd November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (26th November 2017), Krishna (23rd November 2017), Melinda (28th November 2017)

35. Link to Post #7198
    Thanks

Hi:

Over the years, I have seen the advances in mass spectrometer data and how it has been used. The technology keeps improving, and the results are being used on an ever-wider array of problems. Most people are probably used to hearing about the results of dating, using radioactive decay. But that is only one aspect of it. Mass spectrometer data is also used for stable isotopes, and that data can be more fascinating. Life preferentially uses lighter isotopes, and water, for instance, has its lighter molecules liberated easier from water surfaces by sunlight, and can also be used to help reconstruct ocean temperatures. Those differences can be detected by today’s mass spectrometers, even when the sample is too small to see with the naked eye. It has been used to tell when the ancestors of whales began their migrations into the sea, as freshwater and marine isotopes leave their mark on the teeth of such animals.

When meteorites and Moon rocks were subjected to testing, they conformed to the prominent hypotheses of how the solar system and Moon formed (they are the oldest rocks yet discovered), and fringe “exploded planet” hypotheses (if we can even call them that – they were more like legends) became even less tenable.

Those kinds of tests led to certain hypotheses prevailing over others, but I have seen people completely discard all spectrometer testing as unreliable. Of course, they don’t provide much evidence to support their position, and even when they do, they have very weak arguments for why spectrometer data is unreliable.

Similarly, I have seen even scientists challenge and discard global warming evidence. Most such scientists sold their souls to the hydrocarbon lobby long ago, but I have seen other scientists make obviously invalid and extremely weak arguments to dismiss the data. One dismissal I have seen is to challenge the data on increasing carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere. The challenges have been based on saying that the data is collected too close to cities and volcanoes (such as Mauna Loa), when such challenges don’t survive minimal inspection. Those challenges are of the hand-waving and straw-grasping variety.

When I have relied on spectrometer and related data, I have been dismissed as “Mr. Orthodox,” but the dismissers could never tell me why my reliance was misplaced. When I revisited Velikovsky’s hypotheses after many years of studying scientific findings, practically none of it held up to even cursory scrutiny.

Navigating that morass of hypothesis, theory, and evidence takes time and sharp tools of discernment, but developing a big picture perspective requires nothing less. How I developed my big picture perspective is important. This series of posts will be more about what that picture is, but will return to the evidence periodically.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 24th November 2017 at 17:37.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (24th November 2017), Invictos (18th January 2018), Joseph McAree (26th November 2017), Krishna (24th November 2017)

37. Link to Post #7199
    Thanks

Hi:

Every aspect of the history of Earth and life on Earth has controversy. Some areas are more controversial than others. There is a general consensus that Earth is about 4.5-4.6 billion years old. After it formed, it was battered by asteroids and planetoids, in what is called the Late Heavy Bombardment, but even that is challenged. Today, scientists think that life on Earth may have appeared more than four billion years ago (bya), and that major impacts happened all the way up to two bya. So, early life on Earth may have lived with huge impacts for two billion years. Those are all relatively recent ideas.

In the past couple of years, I have seen prominent scientists make the case that life began in oceanic hydrothermal vents, freshwater ponds, and came from Mars, where life in the solar system may have started. Those controversies won’t end anytime soon. But, what is important, IMO, is to understand the evidence and arguments.

The so-called Hadean Eon was a time of fire and chaos on Earth, but once it ended about four bya, Earth seems to have quickly become the water planet that it is today. The next eon lasted for about 1.5 billion years, and is called the Archaean. Most of the iron ore that humanity has mined came from banded iron formations (BIF), which are up to 3.7 billion years old. BIFs only form in the presence of oxygen, so, oxygenic photosynthesis may be that old. So, the most important metal of the Industrial Revolution was originally refined by the earliest life. The remains of later life provided the energy to further refine it. The remains of other life comprise the most important fuel of the Industrial Revolution. Industrial humanity is one big detritivore, devouring the handiwork and remains of ancient life.

That early photosynthetic life not only made the iron deposits that humanity plunders, but it also saved Earth’s ocean from being blasted into space, like what happened to Mars’s ocean. Venus lost all of its water, too (as did Mercury and our Moon). Earth got oxygenated by oxygenic photosynthesis, which also formed the ozone layer, so life saved life, and made land-lubbing life, like us, possible. Humanity is riding a wave of life, even as it destroys life at a prodigious rate.

Evolution happened from the beginning, and it happened one atom at a time, one molecule at a time. More than three bya, the parent of all life on Earth today lived, which had DNA, enzymes, membranes, and all life on Earth uses ATP as its fuel. The reproduction trick had to be learned from the very beginning. Respiration and photosynthesis are the essential energy behaviors of life. Once Earth became oxygenated, life learned to respire with oxygen, which gets more bang for the buck than any other kind of respiration.

At least once, and maybe only once, an Archaean bacterium either ate or was invaded by a “modern” bacterium, and it was perhaps before Earth was oxygenated, as hydrogen may have been the energy-transfer element that they had in common. Complex cells were then born. That happened around two bya. It took almost another billion years before those complex cells ganged together to form multicellular lifeforms, and plants appear to have preceded animals. Predation and grazing happened early on, as life learned to eat each other.

There is great controversy today on just when Earth’s ocean was oxygenated, and it may have come in phases, with the instance that led to animals happening a little less than 600 million years ago (mya), at the tail-end of a tumultuous period of global ice ages, punctuated by warming phases. Those gyrations may have provided the impetus for the appearance of animals. The first large animals hardly looked like animals at all. After tens of millions of years of evolution, those early animals were swept away in the first of many mass extinctions of large life. Those extinction events usually had profound impacts on Earth’s ecosystems, as previously marginal life came to dominate in the aftermath of the mass extinctions, and entire ecosystems could be dramatically altered. The mass extinctions had numerous causes, but in the end, they were likely cascading energy failures, as multi-tiered ecosystems collapsed when one or more of the links were removed. From the rubble of a mass extinction came the seeds of the next period of complex life. The most important period of animal life was the Cambrian Explosion, when all of today’s phyla of note were born. There has been very little biological innovation since then, at the fundamental level.

For us animals, the varieties of complex life which have graced Earth for the past half billion years have been the most fascinating, and I’ll sketch that journey in coming posts.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 25th November 2017 at 21:42.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (25th November 2017), Joseph McAree (26th November 2017), Krishna (25th November 2017)

39. Link to Post #7200
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

I always assumed that the effects of colonization were the same and that newly independent countries in the 1940's were roughly at the same level. It turns out not to be the case.
    At independence Sri Lanka had a literacy rate of 57.8% , India 12.2% , Taiwan enrollment rate of 71.3% in 1943 literacy rates of around 50% is a good approximation, Korea had enrollment rate 49% in 1945 literacy rate of 22%.

The effect of literacy can be seen in lower child mortality rates, lower fertility rates and other human development indicators.

I wonder what led to the literacy rates at independence? Korea, Taiwan is a result of Japan's colonization.
    Why do India and Sri Lanka have such different literacy rates despite both being under British rule. (Bangladesh, Pakistan also had low literacy rates in 1950).
    So why was Sri Lanka an exception to the British Norm?
    and Why was Japan an exception to the norm that colonizers don't educate the local population?
    Last edited by Krishna; 26th November 2017 at 00:40.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Foxie Loxie (26th November 2017), Joseph McAree (26th November 2017)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 360 of 535 FirstFirst 1 260 310 350 360 370 410 460 535 LastLast