Results 8,281 to 8,300 of 10694

Thread: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

1. Link to Post #8281
    United States Avalon Member Wade Frazier's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,632 times in 7,518 posts

Default Re: WADE FRAZIER : A Healed Planet

Hi Krishna:

If you want to argue that people learn for the pure joy of it, unrelated to any future benefits, while that is a nice ideal, I don’t know of an evolutionary psychologist on Earth who is going to agree with you, and I won’t either. You are a big fan of literacy and education. I am not in your camp. You understandably still have a foot in the Third Epoch. I don’t. I am about making the Fifth happen.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 7th September 2019 at 20:06.
    My big essay, published in 2014, is here.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Franny (7th September 2019), Joseph McAree (7th September 2019)

3. Link to Post #8282
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Wade Frazier (here)
    Hi Krishna:

If you want to argue that people learn for the pure joy of it, unrelated to any future benefits, while that is a nice ideal, I don’t know of an evolutionary psychologist on Earth who is going to agree with you, and I won’t either.
    I am not sure when i argued that kids learn for the pure joy of it. I said "it is society/adults that decides what they learn." In evolution of childhood melvin konner says "every society views children as a vessel to be filled with knowledge and culture" close paraphrase from memory since it's been a few years since i read the book.. A child has no ability to know whether what is being taught by society is useful or not, they absorb things as children. Teaching kids is what adults do in every epoch, one can observe teaching or its precursors in bonobos and other animals.

The adult who got the physics degree won't go and farm, they will find a factory to work in, start one, or bug their politicians for jobs. That is precisely how countries are becoming industrial in today's world. Emigration is a small part of the story of the world. Even net Mexican immigration for the last decade is zero. And indians dont care as much to emmigrate, as they used to do.

Quote . You understandably still have a foot in the Third Epoch.
    My grandmother was a.doctor taught in the western tradition. All my uncles were college graduate, most of my aunts went to school. All of my cousins went to college. I was born in a house with running water and electricity, we always owned a motorcycle or car. I lived in a house made of concrete brick and steel. I lived in urban india only far from the third epoch of rural India. Was I exposed to the third epoch sure i was, but not all that directly.

I was born into a family environment of the fourth epoch, and am solidly a fourth epoch person even if i had never left India.

======= added later≠======
    All of my education was in English, i can read and write much better in English than my mother tongue, speaking and understanding i am equally good in either language. When i think I think in the English language
    Last edited by Krishna; 7th September 2019 at 23:16.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Forest Denizen (8th September 2019), Franny (8th September 2019), Joseph McAree (8th September 2019), Melinda (13th September 2019)

5. Link to Post #8283
    Thanks

Hi:

After finishing Warriors and Worriers, I want to discuss some of the vast changes that came to Western societies as a result of the Industrial Revolution.

As a prelude, you can read summaries of the discussions in Ian Morris’s Why the West Rules – For Now for why England had an Industrial Revolution, the only pristine instance that there will ever be. Many economists and historians, who have not and do not understand the energy issue, will credit various aspects of the dynamics, but their neglect of the energy issue invalidates their work as comprehensive explanations. Like Rome and Tenochtitlán, Western Europe learned how to turn a body of water into a low-energy transportation lane, but that trick goes back to the earliest civilizations. Without low-energy transportation lanes, civilization would have never developed, as the “tyranny of distance” would have prevailed. What Western Europe did, turning the global ocean into one big transportation lane, was the technical feat that allowed them to conquer the world. It was only an improvement over Rome’s feat.

But, if you read Paul Bairoch’s work (such as Economics and World History), for instance, you will see that the colonial economies and so-called triangular trade had a modest impact on developing European economies. The important dynamics happened within Europe, and most importantly, tapping the energy of fossil fuels. Without that, there would have been no Industrial Revolution, as Europe would have hit the hard ceiling that doomed other agrarian economies. Bairoch showed that while exploiting the colonial domains was not all that helpful for the Western economies, it was devastating for the colonial subjects, for those who survived the process, as they were effectively enslaved.

Europe had been riding an unprecedented energy wave for several centuries before they conquered the world. The explosion of watermills in Western Europe was unprecedented in the human journey, with the first land-based power of significance that was not generated by muscles. It began with the Greeks, but the medieval explosion in Western Europe was unprecedented. In 1492, when Columbus stumbled into the New World, European watermills performed the work of at least 10 million people. That impact cannot be overstated, but when the energy of coal was tapped en masse in England, it was the first time of significance that humanity tapped an energy source that was not dependent on recent and current solar energy. A tree was the deepest in time that humans mined energy of until then, and it was generally less than a century of energy capture, other than the first forest rapings. The coal deposits were hundreds of millions of years old. That was the key to the Industrial Revolution, and everything else is noise. On cognition, to paraphrase Ian Morris, thinking is just another way of using energy.

Warriors and Worriers deals with the long evolutionary journey that is baked into men’s and women’s DNA, in ways that relatively comfortable Westerners are usually oblivious to. And a lot of the change is very recent. Until the Industrial Revolution’s demographic transition, a newborn had about a 50% chance of reaching adulthood. That meant that to just keep populations stable, women had to give birth four times in their lifetimes and watch two of their children die, and about 15% of the women died due to the rigors of childbirth. Today, one in 10,000 Western women will die from childbirth complications, and a Western newborn has a 98% chance of living to be an adult. The impact that that has had on women cannot be overstated.

I have twice visited the town where my grandfather was born, and I also visited the town where he was raised. I visited cemeteries where my family was buried, and that, and hearing my aunt, grandfather, and other relatives describe their ancestors and those days, drove home how different those times were from today, only a century later.

My grandfather was a twin, but his brother died as an infant, and we visited his grave. While visiting the graves, I heard the stories around their deaths. One relative was horsing around with his siblings when his parents were gone and got hit in the testicles so hard that he died from it. I have never heard of such a thing in my lifetime. Another relative was just a boy, and his family filled a big tub with scalding hot water, to use for plucking and preparing chickens. The tub was sitting on the floor of their kitchen, and the boy ran into the kitchen and fell face-first into that tub of water, which instantly killed him while his parents watched in horror. Another relative, whose grave I visited, was killed one day when he walked out of his front door, to be greeted by a tornado. I heard story after story of untimely deaths, the kind that are virtually unheard of in the USA today. Even with all of the crazed mass shootings and seeming epidemic of violence, the USA is far safer than it once was.

At the cemetery where I visited the tornado-killed relative’s grave, the cemetery in the attached photo, as my grandfather opened the gate to it, were other family graves. I also attached a picture of my aunt’s opening the same gate, 17 years later. I will discuss my family’s graves there, which are listed here. Elmer Frazier died at about age 31, and I think that he is the one that a tornado killed. Two children in that plot died as infants. C.S. Frazier I believe was Elmer’s father (another Cyrus, I believe), and was likely part of the 1879 migration from Indiana. My family profited handsomely from all of that “free” land that the Indians had been recently cleared from, using the phony treaties that George Washington recommended, backed up by the U.S. Army. One infant was likely C.S.’s, while the other was Elmer’s. So, as bad as they had it, the Indians had it infinitely worse. So, C.S. Frazier died at age 60, Elmer died at about 31, and the other two died as infants. It looks like that may have been the end of the line for that branch of my family, but I think that that C.S. might be my great, great, great grandfather.

But what struck me even more was pondering the graves of the nearby Doane family. Clayton was the patriarch, born in 1882, probably born there as one of the earliest homesteader families. He had a daughter, Inez, who died at age four in 1914. Ten years after Inez’s death, Clayton’s wife, Lauretta, gave birth to Clayton Junior in 1924, at age 40, and she died the next day, obviously of the complications of childbirth. Clayton Junior died in 1945 at age 20, as a soldier in World War II. Clayton Senior lived until 1969, dying at age 87. Those graves still haunt me. Only one of those eight people lived to be my age today (61), two died as infants, one at age 4, another died a soldier’s death at age 20, and his birth killed his mother, and one by tornado. That is how life was about a century ago, for those homesteaders, something that Americans today have a hard time imagining. Times have radically changed in the past century.

I’ll also attach a picture that drives home what my grandfather told me, about how he and his friends shot at “anything that moved” as children. It is a picture of Sam Frazier, my grandfather’s grandfather, posing with a badger that he killed on the family homestead. Such pride in slaughter, and it might be the most famous of my family’s photos, within my family. It was framed on my grandfather’s wall as I grew up. I visited that homestead, and Sam is buried at another nearby cemetery, and I am posting up a picture of his gravestone. Sam was born in 1862 (maybe to C.S.), and moved to Kansas in that 1879 migration.

When the Dust Bowl hit, my grandparents and many other relatives fled, and after several years of migrating to Arkansas (where one aunt was born), Wyoming, and Idaho (where the farmer stole the harvest money that my family was working the fields to get paid from), my family made it to Bellingham, where they heard about jobs in the shipyards, and I have aunts, uncles, and cousins that still live in Bellingham. My great, great grandfather Sam stayed on the homestead, however, and died in Dust Bowl misery in 1939 (a self-created misery, as the Dust Bowl arose from those homesteader farming practices). My grandfather told me about Sam’s grim last years.

My grandmother was pregnant with my father when they moved to Bellingham, but she was so malnourished that my father was born with rickets, weighed less than five pounds, and was a runt until a growth spurt in high school brought him to nearly six feet tall. My father should not have survived his infancy, but somehow did.

On my mother’s side, she was born with a heart defect and the doctors predicted that she would die in childhood, but she somehow survived. A few years later, my grandmother gave birth to twins, but they were stillborn. My grandfather was a first-generation American, born in Minnesota to Norwegian immigrants in 1892, as I recall, and he was a distant cousin to my grandmother, which was another sign of the times. My grandfather was crippled in World War I’s influenza epidemic and should not have survived. My grandmother’s next two births produced surviving children, my aunts, one of whom was born with a club foot while the other had anemia. My mother had flat feet, which I kind of inherited, and I also had a heart condition while growing up, which was also probably inherited. My mother lost all of her teeth to their atrocious diets and poor dental hygiene by the time she left home.

Those events were not part of some distant beleaguered past, but during the rise of history’s richest and most powerful nation. For the entirely of the human journey until industrialization, the primary preoccupation of all peoples was getting enough to eat. Fat Westerners can barely fathom it. Today’s Americans are history’s fattest and most sedentary humans, and the rest of the West is not far behind.

Anyway, that long journey has left its mark on humanity, and the primary author of Warriors and Worriers makes the case for how a lot of it is still built into our DNA. In the Fifth Epoch, human nature will also change, not just our economic circumstances. Just as today’s Americans have a hard time comprehending how life was in the USA just a century ago, they haven’t the foggiest idea of what is coming, if we can get over the hump, and that is normal.

Best,

Wade
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sam Frazier.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	41514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chalk Mound.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	41513   Click image for larger version

Name:	kansas.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	41512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Badger.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	41515  
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 10th September 2019 at 02:51.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (8th September 2019), JRS (9th September 2019), Krishna (9th September 2019), Melinda (13th September 2019)

7. Link to Post #8284
    Thanks

Hi:

This will be a short one on what people face when walking on the high road. Dennis has always been a businessman, and in his early days, everybody wanted to steal his businesses, and they were successful many times. After I had witnessed several attempts to steal our business, I told Dennis how shocking it was to see, and he said that the first 50 times he saw it, it shocked him, too.

Dennis was an incorrigible idealist, however, and his efforts attracted interest from the power structure, beginning with local interests. Dennis’s efforts, going back to the beginning, were going to be disruptive to established industries, so, he began to suffer from organized suppression, too. If somebody was not trying to steal his business, they were trying to wipe it out. That is how capitalism really works, not the fantasy version that we see today in the business press, etc. In a world of scarcity and fear, I don’t know of a profession or industry that has escaped that dynamic. And the bigger and more powerful the industry or profession is, and the more concentrated its ownership is, the more that such professions and industries will resemble outright rackets, and the GCs sit atop that bloody heap.

When anybody comes along and challenges the rackets, the tactics of suppression are similar. They will try to strip away all means of defending yourself, and when they finally have you helpless and alone, then it is easy to dispose of you. I saw it first with Dennis. Arrest him with a million dollar bail for failing to file a form, wipe his business out (and stealing it accomplishes the same goal), then kangarooing him into prison is easy, and then getting him murdered by the inmates. It was only because of extraordinary efforts by Mr. Professor, me, and Alison that Dennis is alive today, and Dennis’s amazing ability to dodge the bullets. Of course, at the level of the game that we played at, they tried carrots, first (1, 2), as they protected the greatest racket on Earth. The other rackets are not as lucrative, and they often go straight for the stick.

When Gary refused to go along with a frame job, he was framed instead, which ended his career, but his adventures were only beginning. He bought a gas station, bar, and convenience store complex in Ventura County after his career ended, and that was his nest egg. Their (the gangsters that ran Ventura County, mainly its judges) first attack was to thwart the renewal of his liquor license. Then it was to declare an old underground gas tank a hazardous waste site, then it was to send a food inspector to his bar and condemn it. When all of that failed to work, then the fire department broke into his business and fabricated an extension cord violation. What happened to Dennis in Seattle was similar, and one of his employees died in the assault.

Gary took it to trial, but the jury was stacked with firemen’s relatives, and Gary then knew that his goose was cooked. Gary kept on fighting and ran for sheriff, and Ventura County quickly passed a law that made Gary too old to run. Of course, Gary survived at least one murder attempt. I was childhood friends with the son of that food inspector who was sicced on Gary (and keep in touch with him to this day, but never brought up his father’s involvement in Gary’s adventures ), and lived in the same neighborhood with one of the framers, and went to school with his children, who were always dressed fashionably.

When Gary was finally defeated, he sold his store and moved away, but they used a “cutout” to buy his store, who declared bankruptcy when the sale was in escrow, and the gangster judges literally stole Gary’s store from him. Gary died, destitute, in Oregon, with an arrest warrant issued for his wife, whose name the store was in, as she refused to hand over the deed to their store.

Similarly, Rodney Stich took on the incredible corruption in the airline industry, as plane crash after plane crash was covered up. Rodney (whom I once corresponded with) naively boasted on a radio show that he would be fine in his efforts, as long as he stayed a multimillionaire from his real estate dealings over the years. Not long afterward, a CIA front organization filed a phony lawsuit, which was the beginning of the end for Rodney. The Kangaroo Court that I lived through, as Gary did, paled beside what Rodney experienced. My day on the witness stand in Kangaroo Court was the turning point of my life. With his money stripped away, Rodney was easily kangarooed into prison.

However, for all that we all went through, my biggest surprise was how those around me acted. They either fled like cowards, actively helped out the efforts to wipe us out (or decided that it was the ideal opportunity to steal the business (1, 2)), or got on their knees and begged for mercy from the gangsters. Those who stood up to them in Ventura I can nearly count on one hand. When it got back to me that my own mother was campaigning against me, it did not even hurt anymore.

So, we all woke up the hard way, and my life’s greatest lessons were learned in Ventura, my home town. Even as I was driving to Ventura from Boston, more than a year into my adventures with Dennis, you could not have convinced me what I would experience over the next few years.

All of that was infinitely more important for developing my awareness than all of the book-learning that I have ever done. Digesting my big essay is trivial, compared to the lessons that being on the high road impart, if people can survive the experience.

What has been mildly surprising in the past year or so is that I have contacted several people who acquitted themselves honorably during my adventures. I was willing to have a conversation with them, to help them understand the magnitude of what they were involved with, and not one of them wanted to hear about it. Their horizon of awareness was that it was a business opportunity that didn’t work out, and traumatically so, and they all put it in their rearview mirrors, best forgotten about, and they truly did not want to hear any more about it.

And those were the vanishingly few who were actually the good guys of my adventures. So, how hard is it to find people willing to do the work to reach the understandings that my approach requires, which is extremely modest compared to that Indiana Jones stuff? They will be needles in haystacks, and those latest encounters were a reminder of that.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 10th September 2019 at 02:49.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (9th September 2019), Krishna (9th September 2019), Melinda (13th September 2019)

9. Link to Post #8285
    Thanks

Hi:

Last night, I discovered that there is a new book that came out, with Ed and David Peterson’s writings. I am obliged to get it, and have ordered it. There is likely nothing new in it, but at 900 pages, Ed never published a book that large. We’ll see if I decide to update Ed’s bio for any of it.

Best,

Wade

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (10th September 2019), Krishna (13th September 2019), Melinda (13th September 2019)

11. Link to Post #8286
    Thanks

Hi:

To continue a little on a recent post, my orientation before I met Dennis was the inventor’s, and the lessons came fast and furiously for me after meeting Dennis, immediately after the voice told me to move to Seattle, from the Seattle experience to the Boston experience, but the Ventura experience was far and away the most educational, like being in a war. When the dust finally settled in Ventura in 1990, I had long since been radicalized and my life’s greatest lessons had been learned, and we had tried, witnessed, or heard about from fellow travelers nearly all of those failed paths to free energy that I summarized. My life’s learning curve was largely over by the time that I was 30 years old, and the rest has been the small stuff.

In 1990, I was introduced to the work of Noam and Ed, read Ralph McGehee’s memoirs, and hit the books pretty good during the next decade, which largely led to my site as it stands today. I met Brian the next year, just as he was getting his feet wet in the free energy milieu, and the next year, Brian had his life shortened, courtesy of the USA’s military, when he began snooping into UFOs. I briefly rejoined Dennis in 1996, and I walked away certain that the businessman’s path to free energy did not have a prayer. It was in my Ohio years that a close pal got his exotic technology show. When Brian published his first free energy book in 1996, I was his biggest fan, and in 2001, we had our epic note-trading session, after Brian spent five years playing the Paul Revere of free energy, and I met fellow travelers such as Mark, heard spine-chilling tales of Adam’s journey, and similar events. I was introduced to Bucky’s work and the comprehensive lightbulb finally lit up for me in 2003. By the time that I quit NEM in 2004, I was forever cured of the idea of mass movements to make free energy happen. It won’t work that way. I have been doing something different ever since, but not many people yet understand.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 11th September 2019 at 02:02.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (10th September 2019), Krishna (13th September 2019), Melinda (13th September 2019), what is a name? (11th September 2019)

13. Link to Post #8287
    Thanks

Hi:

Today is the 18th anniversary of 9/11, and like the JFK issue, the 9/11 issue is not going to go away in my lifetime. A new report was just released on the collapse of WTC 7. Whether it was an inside job or miraculous “gift” to the neocons (as Noam said), who openly wished for an event like that, there is no doubt that Orwell’s permanent war was implemented, as the USA destroys nation after nation, which “coincidentally” have all had strategic relevance in the USA’s nakedly imperial moves to control the world’s remaining hydrocarbon deposits and maintain global hegemony. It really isn’t any different from what Noam and Ed described long ago. The targets just rotate, although Russia has been a reliable demon for more than a century.
    Best,

Wade

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Baby Steps (12th September 2019), Joseph McAree (12th September 2019), Krishna (13th September 2019), Melinda (13th September 2019)

15. Link to Post #8288
    Thanks

Hi:

Nine years ago, I wrote this passage:

“If I had to describe the human journey in one sentence, it would be something like: ‘Each epoch of humanity’s past was initiated and sustained by achieving the social organization and technological prowess that enabled the exploitation of previously unexploitable energy resources.’”

You can see that I began using “Epoch” back then, and that passage is still the gist of my message. You can read Maxine Berg’s The Age of Manufactures 1700-1820: Industry, Innovation, and Work in Britain, in which she summarizes the forces that propelled the Industrial Revolution’s pristine instance, and reviews the many scholarly debates on the subject, going back to the classical economists, to Marx, and to 20th century economists. As with nearly all other economic analyses, energy takes a back seat. The Industrial Revolution is the most dramatic change in the human journey, and a great deal of ink has been spilled by economists and others to explain it, but, IMO, all of those explanations suffer from not being grounded in the physical sciences.

Without tapping the new energy sources, the new Epochs would not have arrived. Without increasing available energy for such an energy hog, the human-line’s brain would not have grown how it did. The contending hypotheses are:

It is likely some of each, and bipedal locomotion came first, new tools next, and fire last.

As our brains grew, more behaviors became possible, and human cognition steadily increased with the human line’s growing brain. Current evolutionary theory states that an evolutionary innovation had to be immediately useful, or else it would not have evolved, and especially for something as energy-demanding as the human-line’s brain. Once a feature was developed for one purpose, it could be drafted for other purposes. To me, that is one of the key lessons from today’s evolutionary theory. In The Evolution of Childhood, the authors attempt to explain “play,” as only some animals, and the smartest ones, in general, do it. It is thought to be a form of practice. It all has a reason, generally related to survival. There are competing hypotheses on the growing human-line brain and what it was immediately good for, and the one that seems to be in the lead today is that it enabled greater social flexibility and group behaviors. So, it may have been socially spurred, but without that increased energy, it would not have happened. Energy is the primary factor (the necessary condition, in academic parlance), and the others are secondary or tertiary.

When humans became behaviorally modern, around 60,000 years ago or so, they had the toolset, cognitive abilities, and social organization to conquer Earth, and they quickly did, and drove all competing human species and Earth’s easy meat to extinction in the process.

After the easy meat was rendered extinct, the brief Golden Age of the Hunter Gatherer was over, humans became territorial and violent again, and it stayed that way, except for a few places on Earth (called the “lucky latitudes” and other terms) where humans, women, most likely, began to domesticate plants, as the easy meat became extinct while Earth warmed in an interglacial interval.

Men and women were evolutionarily adapted to the sexual division of labor that was probably over a million years old, as men hunted and women gathered. Women gathered for a few reasons. One was that men were faster and stronger, so were better suited to the rigors of hunting (and its consequent warfare). So, men particularly have prowess with large muscle group activities, and the cliché of “throw like a girl” is as old as humanity. The superiority of boys today over girls in throwing is dramatic, and begins not long after they can walk. Women have developed the nimble fingers required for gathering, which have been put to so many new uses in the Third and Fourth Epochs (sewing, typing, etc.). Those are the outcomes of evolutionary realities, and Warriors and Worriers explores them.

The energy that came from domestication was responsible for the Third Epoch. If not for that, humanity today would all resemble the societies that aboriginal Australians had when the British invaded. Without crops, there would have been no civilization. It was the primary determinant, and everything else was noise. It formed the Epoch’s foundation, just as the energy practices of the First and Second Epoch formed theirs.

The Fourth Epoch was no different. Each Epoch also saw energy dynamics at the tail-end that presaged the coming Epoch. For the Fourth Epoch, harnessing water power in mills was seminal, as was the technical feat of turning the world’s ocean into a low-energy transportation lane. Low-energy transportation made civilization possible, along with crops, and water and wind power were keys to the protoindustrial period before the power of coal was tapped in an unprecedented fashion. The Fourth Epoch would not have happened without it. Professions rose and fell, workers and employers battled, people were “deskilled” to tend machines, and new skills developed, but the new sources of energy powered it all. The human animal, however, has changed very little since we became behaviorally modern. A child born 50,000 years ago could have been placed in English society of 1800 as an infant and done as well as the rest.

The Chinese had watermills and coal smelting, too, but they did not capitalize on it, while Europe rushed ahead and industrialized. Coal was more immediately useful for smelting, as there was no substitute for it, in a deforested England, and wind and water power remained competitive with coal power until about 1850.

When people were freed from farming, they populated the factories and mines of an Industrializing England. And, of course, it could be a brutal and involuntary process (1, 2), but as machines replaced strong backs and nimble fingers, England’s standard of living rose, and the Fourth Epoch began. But as with the others, nobody really noticed the changes, as far as a change in Epochs (or energy regimes) went. The Industrial Revolution was more than a century old before anybody realized that it was a revolution. And for that reason, some argue that the Domestication and Industrial revolutions were not revolutions at all, as nobody was trying to overthrow an established order, like political revolutions do. That is partly a semantics game.

My upcoming essay update will cover these areas in a bit more depth than I have before, but the gist will be the same as I wrote back in 2010, to begin this post.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 12th September 2019 at 15:18.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Baby Steps (12th September 2019), Joseph McAree (12th September 2019)

17. Link to Post #8289
    Thanks

Hi:

I got that book of Ed’s writings with David Peterson, and I am glad that I did. It is a very generous collection, weighing in at nearly 900 pages. The full text of their book on Rwanda is one of the chapters, as is their critique of Pinker’s book on violence. I have read Ed’s work on all of the topics that the book covers, but not all of the essays in that book, so I’ll plunk through those that I have not read before, and reread some of them. We’ll see if I update Ed’s bio for any of it. I doubt it, as I already cover all of those subjects in Ed’s bio, but we’ll see.

Also, this gives me another opportunity to write about Ed’s critics, and how they either are incapable of understanding or unwilling to understand what his work was about. The double standards that the American establishment uses in its foreign policy was a focus of Ed’s work from the beginning. When he began collaborating with Noam, the media’s role in promoting imperial propaganda was a key focus, their first uncensored books made that issue explicitly clear, it reached its apotheosis in Manufacturing Consent, and that theme ran through Ed’s work for the rest of his life. In a late-life interview, he said that exposing the media’s double-standards was pretty much the entire point of his work.

Ed and Noam were/are social scientists, and Ed took great pains to approach his work scientifically. So, Ed would state the null hypothesis, which was that the American mass media was a seeker of truth, treating allies and enemies evenhandedly in its coverage, to help the American people make informed decisions, which is an American ideal and part of what the First Amendment is about. Then Ed would amass the available evidence, to see how the media actually functioned, versus its stated ideal. Ed’s work essentially falsified that assumption that the American media was a seeker of truth on behalf of the public, and showed how they were simply capitalist/imperial parrots.

Ed’s work was rarely involved with establishing the objective truth of any of the topics that he wrote about, but was more about how the media approached those topics. As a scientist should, Ed would look at the range of available evidence that the media had access to, how they used it, and what they reported. It was scientific testing of a hypothesis that the media uses as its reason for existence, and Ed showed how the media almost never lived up to its ideal, and how its performance was usually an Orwellian inversion of that ideal.

I’ll provide one late-life example of what Ed (and Peterson, when he helped) wrote about, how he approached the subject, and what his critics would do. They nearly invariably engaged in the same logical fallacies, and the primary one was a straw man argument, claiming that Ed didn’t portray the objective reality accurately, when that was rarely something that Ed even aspired to do. This should not be hard to understand, but I almost never saw his critics get it, or if they did, they disparaged his focus and then tried to show how Ed did not understand the objective reality, which begged the question. That was either stupid or dishonest. Ed would generally be more charitable, and just note how his assailants were unable to jettison their ideological assumptions.

The example in question was how the American media portrayed the 2009 elections in Iran and Honduras. It was a classic instance of the election coverage in enemy and client regimes. Ed co-wrote a book on the subject back in the 1980s, and he invented the term to describe elections in client regimes: Demonstration Elections. In a Demonstration Election, outright electoral fraud is treated as a paragon of fairness, the slaughter of opposing candidates is swept under the rug, and the entire exercise is a stage-play designed to convince the American people that the USA’s foreign intervention was well-received by the target nation, even when our intervention was genocidal, as it was in El Salvador in the 1980s or Vietnam in the 1960s. When enemy regimes held elections, the media would try to find anything that it could to delegitimize the elections, and any rumor would do. That was the framework that Ed established in the 1960s, and the Iran and Honduras elections were merely a 21st century example of that phenomenon.

Ed had long written about what the USA did during the Cold War, as it overthrew governments with abandon while citing the Communist Conspiracy fantasy, which is perhaps the most untenable conspiracy theory of all time, but was a sacrosanct tenet of the American establishment and media throughout the Cold War. The year after the USA overthrew the Iranian government on behalf of Western oil companies, it overthrew the Guatemalan government when it tried to give peasants unused land that United Fruit owned. It was a relatively gentle prelude to the rash of overthrown Latin American governments in the 1960s and 1970s, and helped lead to the Cuban Revolution. Cubans have the highest standard of living in Latin America (and no homeless, which the USA could learn a lesson from), but you wouldn’t know it from digesting the American propaganda since the 1950s.

Under the Shah’s reign of terror, all left-leaning organizations were wiped out, and torture was used liberally in the Shah’s Iran, as usual for American client states. So, the USA bears a huge burden of responsibility for the theocracy that took over Iran after its revolution. What the USA overthrew in 1953 was a republic with an elected leader. The Islamic church was the only non-government institution that survived the Shah’s reign, which helps explain why it is still a theocracy today. But the American media rarely acknowledged that fact.

So, in 2009, Iran held elections, while the American media portrayed the entire exercise as a sham. Ed produced several opinion polls that showed that the man who won the election seemed to be supported by the majority of voters. Ed’s point in producing those polls was that if the American media was going to assess the legitimacy of the Iranian elections, those opinion polls were valid evidence that should have been considered. Of course, the American media never did, which was Ed’s point. Meanwhile, the USA supported a military coup in Honduras in 2009, and the subsequent election was a standard Latin American Demonstration Election, in which the only names on the ballot supported the coup. That coup was partly Hillary Clinton’s handiwork, and was a prelude to her efforts to overthrow Libya’s government a couple of years later, as she burnished her foreign policy credentials in preparation for her run at the presidency.

So, Ed’s writings on the Iranian elections were explicitly made as another one of his famous paired examples, as he contrasted the media’s coverage of both elections. In each instance, a protestor was killed by the government, and Ed and Peterson showed how the killing of the Iranian protestor received more than a hundred times the coverage of the killing of the Honduran protestor. Ed cited that disparity in the last essay published in his lifetime.

That was the point of Ed’s work, going back to the 1960s. His focus was always on the American propaganda system regarding its foreign policy, not who the good guys and bad guys were in the target nations. But in virtually every criticism that I ever saw of Ed’s work on those subjects, his critics either failed to understand that simple issue or willfully misrepresented his work as they assailed it. They usually made it seem that Ed was trying to establish the objective reality in our target nations, such as how Iran was not as democratic as Ed made the case for, when Ed didn’t make the case at all.

This guy in particular misrepresented Ed and Peterson’s work on Iran and Honduras, and hosted a guest columnist who also misrepresented Ed and Peterson’s work, as he argued that Ed and Peterson didn’t understand the objective political reality in Iran, when that was never the point of their work, which was assessing how the American media handled the evidence. How hard can that be to understand?

Those kinds of straw man fallacies have been directed at Ed’s work since the beginning.

I wrote to Ed long ago that I would carry his bags a thousand miles, and I can make the case that I did, but Peterson carried them a million miles. He gets big heaven points for helping Ed as he did.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 13th September 2019 at 14:24.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (14th September 2019), Krishna (15th September 2019)

19. Link to Post #8290
    Thanks

Hi:

I began my Assange thread by noting how whistleblowers had been getting crucified for a long time, and that was a big reason why Snowden, Manning, and Wikileaks rose to prominence. When all of the official avenues are shut off, then we will see unofficial avenues get used. Now, the British are indefinitely incarcerating Assange, as he gets extradited to the USA and life in prison or worse, on entirely frivolous and fanciful charges. It is something that I know all too well, and it is only a more genteel version of what Nazi Germany did. The media has gotten out of parrot mode a little with the Assange case, as what he is being charged with is what journalists normally do, as they try to protect sources, etc. The days of investigative journalism are quickly coming to an end, and the media will become indistinguishable from what Goebbels did, and in fact, it is already largely that way today, but the last rogues such as Assange need to be made examples of.

The USA has always been a plutocracy, ever since its richest citizen became its first president, who wrote the plan to steal a continent, and it is fitting that our little buddy, the UK, is holding Assange for us. They have been carrying our imperial bags for a long time, pretty much since World War II ended. Truly, not a lot has changed since the days of George Washington, as far as who really runs the show and what their motives are. In a world of scarcity and fear, these are the people who rise to the top, and those are only the visible players. There are levels of the game far above what we see on the public stage.

It can change, but enough of us have to do the work.

On a lighter note, when that famous UW physicist died while hiking, the same week as a friend of the family did (the local paper finally covered his death), I noticed that she was a month older than me. In recent weeks, I discovered that two actresses were born on the same day (1, 2) as that physicist was. I have outlived others born the same year as me (1, 2), while others motor on, staying away from drugs and danger. Life is short, and I am trying to get all of the juice out of orange that I have been given. I am finished with taking stupid risks, as I become an old man, but even I was never tempted to do technical climbing. I heard way too many dead climber stories over the years, and I have work to do!

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 14th September 2019 at 12:32.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (14th September 2019), Krishna (15th September 2019), Reinhard (17th September 2019)

21. Link to Post #8291
    Thanks

Hi:

I took my nephew hiking here yesterday, and the old man is feeling it this morning! Pulling my nephew away from the blueberry patches was a chore, but a fun chore. Stopping for blueberries is always a good stop.

This was one of those cool, wet summers that Seattle gets every several years, and was kind of a bust on the hiking front for me, partly because of the weather and partly because I nursed injuries, have been very busy, as usual, and my advancing years are taking their toll on this fat old man, but I still got some good ones in, and the season is far from over. Even my bust years are still good ones.

This winter, however, may be one of those dry ones, as “The Blob” has formed again. In these days of global warming, phenomena such as The Blob appear on the scene, and with increasing frequency. It looks like Category 5 hurricanes are becoming the new normal.

Best,

Wade

Name:	horn 19.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	41537   Click image for larger version

Name:	berries 19.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	41536   Click image for larger version

Name:	horn 2 19.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	41535   Click image for larger version

Name:	colors 19.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	41534  
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 15th September 2019 at 20:31.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (15th September 2019), JRS (18th September 2019), Krishna (16th September 2019), Melinda (18th September 2019), Reinhard (17th September 2019)

23. Link to Post #8292
    Thanks

Hi:

A little note on current events. The guy who wrote a great article on Philip Cross last year wrote one on Assange. Assange is the very definition of a political prisoner, but Amnesty International has had an odd stance regarding him (1, 2, 3), which is standard behavior for the so-called “human rights” organizations anymore, as they have become novel imperial tools. Human Rights Watch actually advocated keeping the “rape” charges in play. That is about as naïve as it gets, at best, but even HRW understands that Assange’s prosecution is a threat to press freedom.

So, this past weekend, Arabian oil facilities were taken out by drones, and the stakes just went up around the world. From the beginning of Brian’s ride as the Paul Revere of Free Energy, he was dismayed by the reactions of denial and fear, from the tops of the world’s leading scientific, political, and “progressive” organizations. When we traded notes, five years into his ride, Brian openly wondered if humanity was a sentient species. But he kept on plugging, we soon founded NEM, but Mallove’s murder spurred Brian’s move to South America, and I didn’t blame him.

From his base in Ecuador, Brian still kept trying to make a dent, but he was shut out from just about everywhere, and near his life’s end, he lamented that in all of the “progressive” efforts that he knew of, which addressed the unsustainability and the damage that our energy production methods inflict on the world, even the possibility of free energy was completely off the table. And as I watch the Middle East heating up once again, it is surreal how the solution that already exists on the planet today is dutifully ignored by all involved. That is probably the most amazing sight of my journey, as we do all of the GCs’ work for them, gratis.

It won’t take many for my little plan to make a dent, but this has been an exercise in patience.

Best,

Wade

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (16th September 2019), JRS (18th September 2019), Krishna (18th September 2019), Melinda (18th September 2019), Reinhard (17th September 2019)

25. Link to Post #8293
    Thanks

Hi:

This will be a little post on politics, current events, and why the usual approaches won’t work for bringing free energy to the world. I saw an article yesterday on Rand Paul and Iran, and he quoted Trump’s “geopolitical blunder” observation regarding the invasion of Iraq. It wasn’t a blunder; it was the greatest crime of the 21st century so far. But as Noam and Ed noted long ago, key Nazis called the Jewish Holocaust a “mistake,” and the American invasion of Southeast Asia was similarly characterized as a mistake. The greatest evils of the past century are called “mistakes,” not crimes, at least by those who commit them.

Assange’s goose is likely cooked, and while the Guardian is a very mixed bag in general, at least they wrote that Assange was exposing American crimes, and that is why he is behind bars today. As I have written, Wikileaks would have likely not existed if the USA did not crucify whistleblowers instead of protect them, which American law requires.

One of the best journalists working today is Caitlin Johnstone, and it is no accident that she is not on anybody’s payroll. What made Noam and Ed so formidable is that they did not write for a living, but did it in their “spare” time and did not have to face the compromises that employee journalists make daily, the often-unconscious adoption of their employer’s perspective, etc. On American TV, the closest that we had to political truth in recent years was on The Daily Show under Jon Stewart, which was a comedy. Arguably the best mainstream journalist in the USA today writes for Rolling Stone, a music magazine. This is how our world works. The professional political writers are all tools of the Empire, to one degree or another.

But I want to discuss one of Johnstone’s latest articles and how it epitomizes the failures of dissidence, attempts for positive change, and how the “left” and any political stripe is totally useless for helping bring free energy to the public. Johnstone wrote an article titled “How to Defeat the Empire.” She wrote about how her work is about solutions, but her solution is to expose mainstream propaganda and thereby weaken the plutocracy and empire.

I agree that waking up from the sleep that the system lulls us into is a requirement for positive change (it ranks number two on my list), but that can only be a start. For me, all that Noam and Ed’s work, for instance, can do, is help wake us up, or, as Noam said, provide “intellectual self-defense.” But the greatest weakness of the Left and its “anti-empire” orientation is that it is victim-oriented, seeing the elites as the bad guys who need to be taken down. There are levels of the elite game that they can’t even imagine, and even refuse to. I have yet to see any “political solution” that was anything more than reshuffling the deck of scarcity, getting more chips for “their” side, even if “their” side was the world’s downtrodden. Bucky wrote on how futile such an approach was. The left, right, and mainstream are united in their scarcity-based victim’s perspective. A creator’s perspective is needed, and that is based on love, not fear. That will be the only path to abundance and a healed humanity and planet.

As Brian O said, combined positive intention was the only approach worth pursuing, not tackling the “bad guys.” Making the elite obsolete is going to be the only lasting solution, it will only happen by the arrival of a new Epoch, and only free energy can make that happen. Attack and coercion is for delusional Young Warriors, who aren’t going to accomplish anything of significance. Love is the answer and always has been, but that is the rarest commodity on Earth, and why my task is like trying to find needles in haystacks. Those overgrown Boy and Girl Scouts are very few and far between, but those are the people who are going to make a dent, if I can find them and we can aim for the root instead of hack at branches. There does not need to be any attack, any war, or any “rebellion,” and that idea is unimaginable to today’s activists. I played the mass movement game several times, before I was finally finished with it. It does not aim nearly high enough.

Best,

Wade

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (18th September 2019), JRS (18th September 2019), Krishna (18th September 2019), Melinda (18th September 2019), Reinhard (17th September 2019)

27. Link to Post #8294
    Thanks

Hi:

I am crazy busy right now. I took my nephew hiking last weekend, my niece hiking on Wednesday, and am going hiking today, pics coming soon, if all goes well. I am also plunking along on my essay update, and will post something before long.

I want to make a brief post on a subject that I’ll write more about on my site one day. During my studies long ago, I thought that cancer was an energy issue, but I was not sure quite how. It has become clearer in recent years for me.

When I updated my fluoride essay, I wrote about free radicals, aging, and programmed cell death. I’ll write more in my essay update about it. Aerobic respiration is high-octane stuff, powered in complex life by mitochondria. Nearly a century ago, Otto Warburg hypothesized that cancer was caused by mitochondria’s shutting down from a lack of oxygen to a cell’s switching to fermentation, which is vastly inferior as an energy generation process. When fermentation is chosen over aerobic respiration, those cells won’t die through apoptosis, as normal cells do that are damaged enough. Warburg’s hypothesis has been getting increasing vindication recently, after being dismissed for many years.

So, fermentation and cancer…. Where have I heard that before? Naessens! And this goes all the way back to Béchamp. If Warburg’s hypothesis becomes the dominant one, I wonder if Naessens and Béchamp will receive their due. Unlikely, but as with the booklet that saved my father’s life, which was banned, but whose findings are now orthodoxy’s first line of defense for heart disease, it has been something to see orthodoxy embrace what it previously assailed. Strange times.

Best,

Wade

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (22nd September 2019), Krishna (24th September 2019), Melinda (22nd September 2019)

29. Link to Post #8295
    Thanks

Hi:

Yesterday I did one of my favorite hikes, which I have been doing nearly annually in the past several years (1, 2, 3). I first saw that lake view in 1986, during my life’s best hiking year. That year, the lake view was just the beginning of that trip, which saw us scramble over mountains to high lakes and mountain goats. Now, the view is my destination, and I’ll do it as long as I am able. I am in pretty decent late-season shape, for a fat old man, so yesterday was pure joy, all the way.

I invited several hiking buds, but none could make it. On the way to the trailhead, I had to brake for wild turkeys crossing the road. It was a perfect hiking day, blissful, as I hiked through the forest, to break out to meadows and lakes. A few hundred yards before that lake view, the trail intersects with the Pacific Crest Trail (“PCT”). The movie from several years ago made it far more popular, and I encountered about a dozen thru-hikers in just those few hundred yards. I often chit-chat with them, but most of them are moving fast, so it is usually only a word of two of encouragement. But yesterday, a man and woman (he is from Ohio, and she is from Sweden) were looking to get out of the mountains for a civilization break, and I hiked them down to my car and deposited them in a town on my way home. That none of my buds were with me allowed me to fill up my car with thru-hikers.

As I tend to do in my old age, after a little probing, I did a Wade’s World talk with them, and they loved it. The nature-lover ratio is pretty high on the PCT. The Fifth Epoch might not be that far off.

Best,

Wade

Name:	turkey2.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	41562   Click image for larger version

Name:	berries19.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	41563   Click image for larger version

Name:	deep19.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	41564   Click image for larger version

Name:	agaric19.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	41565  
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 22nd September 2019 at 14:16.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (22nd September 2019), JRS (23rd September 2019), Krishna (24th September 2019), Krist (23rd September 2019), kudzy (20th October 2019), Melinda (23rd September 2019)

31. Link to Post #8296
    Thanks

Hi:

Oh my, is Wikipedia ever becoming a disinformation mill, even leaving aside my own experiences with them (1, 2). Christopher Black was one of Ed’s most important co-authors, whose work guided Ed in his Rwanda writings. I discovered this past weekend that Chris’s Wikipedia bio has been erased. They couldn’t erase him everywhere. When he had a bio, it was not as defamatory as Ed’s was, so I guess it had to go.

I have long known that the White Helmets were a propaganda operation mounted by the USA and UK, and I regularly read exposures of them and how the media plays them up as credible and impartial good Samaritans, such as here. And, of course, Wikipedia defends the White Helmets to the hilt. Jimmy Wales is an objectivist neocon, which helps explain Wikipedia’s heavy biases, as it becomes a caricature of an encyclopedia. For coverage of the dinosaur extinction and other topics of no political-economic relevance, Wikipedia can serve as a good index of the existing information and state of the debate, but for anything of modern political-economic relevance, Wikipedia is increasingly execrable.

Best,

Wade

32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Gracy (23rd September 2019), Joseph McAree (26th September 2019), Krishna (24th September 2019), Melinda (23rd September 2019), what is a name? (25th September 2019)

33. Link to Post #8297
    Thanks

Hi:

I contacted Chris on his erasure at Wikipedia, and it was the first that he had heard of it. He agreed that before it was erased, it was not defamatory and even pretty good, which is probably why it had to go. I have seen deletion debates go on for some time in the past, but this one happened fast. I found where Deletionpedia saved it. It was proposed for deletion in June.

Around 15 years ago, Dennis briefly had a Wikipedia article, and it was libelous and was soon deleted. Brian had erasure events regarding his employment at NASA and Cal Tech, getting his NASA bio published was an adventure, and then a famous space debunker started in. Deleting an astronaut’s bio would be a stretch, even for Wikipedia, but that rude admin hacked Brian’s bio down to a stub.

So, Chris’s erasure at Wikipedia is just a day at the office in the Empire.

Because it disappeared off of the Internet, I have decided to publish Betsy’s disbarment agreement. Betsy was actually the best of those sicced on Dennis, whose conscience finally awoke, when her nose was rubbed in her crimes. The many others did not even have glimmers of conscience, as they performed their hitman duties, such as Bill, Ken, Mr. Deputy, Mr. Investigator, Ms. Pinch Hitter, etc.

The grim reality is that those hit men and women are the norm, not the exception. The exceptional people are Chris, Ed, Noam, Howard, Dennis, Gary, Ralph, Rodney, Brian, etc. They are in my pantheon, which is not a very big one.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 25th September 2019 at 01:58.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (26th September 2019), JRS (26th September 2019), Krishna (24th September 2019), Melinda (24th September 2019), what is a name? (25th September 2019)

35. Link to Post #8298
    Thanks

Hi:

I was about one programming course short from going the computer consulting route out of college, and likely could have gotten a job at Microsoft in 1986, but that voice had other plans for me, and by 1988 my life was shattered and I was radicalized. My moment of awakening was on the witness stand in Kangaroo Court, as the prosecution made faces at me as I testified.

The next year, I first heard of Noam Chomsky, and the year after that, I began my alternative media education. I was so ready for Noam’s and Ed’s work, and eagerly learned at their scholarly feet. I began corresponding with Noam in 1992 and Ed in 2001, not long after I contacted Howard Zinn. Those great men were among my most gracious correspondents, and I eventually became Ed’s first biographer. I doubt that I will be his last biographer, and hope to live to see a professional biographer take on Ed’s life. Books have been dedicated to Ed’s memory already.

Wikipedia was founded in 2001, at the tail-end of the first dot.com craze. I worked at three different Internet companies between 1999 and 2013, and wrote my first website in 1996. I used the Encarta encyclopedia for the 2002 version of my website, which was likely the last encyclopedia that I will ever buy. While writing this, I looked to see if Encyclopedia Britannica was still in business, and it was, and its article on Noam was written by one of his biographers, which is a vast improvement over Wikipedia’s article.

But there is no biography on Ed at Britannica. Ed was the consummate collaborator. While Noam was obviously the most famous of Ed’s collaborators, Ed’s very first political book was co-written with Richard B. Du Boff, who remained Ed’s staunch ally until the end of Ed’s life and beyond. Most of Ed’s books were collaborative efforts, and his colleagues all loved him. When he was editor of Lies of Our Times (“LOOT”), his previous co-authors were regular contributors, and I am sure that Ed was the reason why they wrote for LOOT.

In 2000, Ed began writing on the West’s dismantling of Yugoslavia, and a new coauthor was Christopher Black. Chris was a different type of coauthor, as he was a human rights attorney, not an academic, and he defended American targets in its kangaroo court tribunals in Yugoslavia and Rwanda. The term “heroic attorney” may seem an oxymoron, but Chris is one, taking on the Empire on its turf. For an attorney, it does not get much more courageous than that. The last email that I ever received from Ed looped me into his circle of collaborators, including Chris, and Chris and I began a correspondence after Ed’s death.

Wikipedia and I go back a ways. In 2008, I was shocked by its racist bias, and a pal and I tried to correct the record at Wikipedia, to only see all of our contributions removed in mere days, as the jingoists prevailed. I became Ed’s first biographer when I wished him a happy birthday in 2017 and offered to improve his libelous Wikipedia bio, and he took me up on it. He died before he got to see my efforts. The year after his death, I finally completed my first draft of his bio and spent about 100 hours writing the improvements to his Wikipedia bio and related articles. To this day, the most active contributor to Ed’s Wikipedia bio is a likely intelligence asset who has been openly defended by Wikipedia’s co-founder, who is currently its “benevolent dictator.”

So, I was expecting to catch flak when I finally published my edits to Ed’s bio, but the intelligence asset and friends did not even have to emerge from their lairs before a rude admin erased all of my contributions (so that the public could not even see what I wrote), not only about Ed, but he also erased my contributions to my astronaut colleague’s Wikipedia biography, while literally swearing and making insults, threats, and unfounded allegations. It was about as unprofessional as I have ever encountered on the Internet. When one of my pupils challenged my treatment at Wikipedia, they banned him from Wikipedia. He nevertheless persisted, obtained some famous help, and Wikipedia finally had to admit that they had no legal standing to erase my work like they did. My changes are no longer erased, but they are reverted and will likely never appear in those articles that I edited, and I’ll never contribute to Wikipedia again. I learned my lesson. Wikipedia is an imperial mouthpiece, and Wikispooks summarizes Wikipedia’s intractable biases well. The reasons that Wikispooks gives for Wikipedia’s biases actually conform very closely to Ed and Noam’s Propaganda Model, so, in a way, it is fitting that Ed’s Wikipedia bio is libelous today.

I recently discovered that Chris’s biography at Wikipedia was erased, and I may write more about it soon. Wikispooks already had a bio of Chris, as it also does of Ed. I might put making my Wikipedia edits at Wikispooks on my list of things to do.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 27th September 2019 at 12:39.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Joseph McAree (26th September 2019), JRS (26th September 2019), Krishna (26th September 2019), Melinda (26th September 2019), what is a name? (25th September 2019)

37. Link to Post #8299
    Thanks

Hi:

I recently wrote about Wikipedia’s erasure of Christopher Black’s bio. Chris’s erasure roughly coincided with the publication of The Hague Tribunal, Srebrenica, and the Miscarriage of Justice, which he wrote a chapter of.

In Ed’s bio, one chapter was devoted to the breakup of Yugoslavia, and a key focus of Ed’s work on Yugoslavia was the tribunal that was established, which dispensed with elementary judicial processes in favor of show trials. Chris was Ed’s coauthor at the beginning of Ed’s writings on the subject.

The arrest and trial of Milosevic was one of the tribunal’s more egregious acts (which helped wake me up to what shams the prominent human rights organizations are), and, as usual, Ed’s primary focus was on how the American media, and the New York Times in particular, handled Milosevic’s trial. And, as usual, Ed and David Peterson clearly showed how poorly the media performed. Stalinist-style show trials get depicted as paragons of judicial rectitude in the American media, when the Empire goes after its official demons.

In Chris’s chapter of The Hague Tribunal, he wrote about the tribunal’s roots (the very idea of the tribunal seems to have been hatched within the USA’s military), and Chris went into detail on how baldly the tribunal dispensed with judicial protocols that nearly every other court on Earth followed. The tribunals in Yugoslavia and Rwanda were the very definition of kangaroo courts, and both courts even used the same personnel. Ed wrote at length on what a travesty those tribunals were, and how they usually dispensed the opposite of justice.

Milosevic died in the tribunal’s custody, and Chris made the case that Milosevic’s death was due to intentional medical negligence at best and murder at worst. Milosevic was vigorously defending himself, and the tribunal’s case was as flimsy as all of its other cases. Chris laid Milosevic’s death at the tribunal’s feet and further suggested that Milosevic might have been right, when he wrote a few days before his death that he was being poisoned, and Chris noted chemicals in Milosevic’s body that still cannot be accounted for, which might well have been part of a poisoning effort. In any case, Milosevic’s death was a convenient event for the tribunal.

Chris wrote about how the tribunal denied him the ability to defend one of its targets because Chris was “hostile” to the court (for another one of its many novel rulings, to be found almost no place else on Earth). However, Chris won an acquittal for one of the Rwanda tribunal’s high-profile targets, and Chris wrote about how the prosecution’s witnesses were fabricated, actors reciting rehearsed scripts, whose “testimonies” quickly fell apart during his cross-examinations.

The Hague Tribunal was primarily concerned with the “genocide” at Srebrenica, which Ed also wrote extensively on. The massacre of several hundred men during a brutal civil war was inflated into a “genocide” in the Western propaganda system, and The Hague Tribunal was one more demonstration of just how untenable the tribunal’s case was.

Chris’s chapter of The Hague Tribunal ended with:

“The Tribunal has proven to be just what we expected it to be, a kangaroo court, using fascist methods of justice that engaged in selective prosecution in order to advance the NATO agenda of conquest of the Balkans as a necessary prelude to aggression against Russia. NATO uses the Tribunal as a propaganda weapon to broadcast a false history of the events in Yugoslavia, to cover up its own crimes, to keep the former republics of Yugoslavia under its thumb, and to justify NATO aggression and its occupation of former Yugoslav territory. It is a stain on the face of civilization: the open contempt for justice.”

As Ed wrote about, a few months before the massacre at Srebrenica, a genuine slaughter of several thousand helpless men, women, and children did occur, during what was arguably a genocide. That event was part of the greatest slaughter of the past generation (only rivaled by the USA’s genocidal activities) but that was carried out under the authority of one of the West’s anointed heroes, so no consumer of the English-speaking mass media, with the partial exception of Australians, because Australian UN workers witnessed the slaughter, has ever heard of that event.

So, just when a new book comes out on the fraudulence of the Yugoslavian tribunal, which Chris wrote a chapter of, his biography gets erased from Wikipedia, although Chris is repeatedly mentioned in that high-profile case in the Rwandan tribunal, for instance. What an amazing coincidence his erasure was. I may write more about Chris’s erasure.

Best,

Wade
    Last edited by Wade Frazier; 30th September 2019 at 12:06.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wade Frazier For This Post:

Bluegreen (28th September 2019), Joseph McAree (28th September 2019), Krishna (27th September 2019), Melinda (28th September 2019)

39. Link to Post #8300
    India Avalon Member
    Thanks

been reading a few books
    • The trouble with AID by Jonathan Glennie
    • The measure of civilization by Ian Morris
    • Poverty and Famines by Amartya Sen

The trouble with AID by Jonathan Glennie, lists the problems with "AID" to Africa. The book is a bit confusing to me, it seems to call for more to be done, and have less conditions for the money. Only skimmed the book.

The measure of civilization by Ian Morris. Morris has an index that consists of energy capture per capita, organization, information technology, and war-making capacity. This could be thought of as trying to create an index for energy and consciousness.A dry boring book, but still valuable for the introduction of how to understand societies and their development.

Poverty and Famines by Amartya Sen
    Maybe you should read this book Wade? Sen won the Nobel for his work on Poverty and Famines. He is no Chomsky, but his understated writing is devastating enough. And provides material to Chomsky in his critique Counting the Bodies - Noam Chomsky
    Will report back when I finish carefully reading it again. Sen is no Ian Morris or even Peter Ward or Richard Wrangham all of whom I see as being much more biased.
    Last edited by Krishna; 30th September 2019 at 00:08.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Krishna For This Post:

Franny (30th September 2019), Joseph McAree (30th September 2019), Wade Frazier (29th September 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 415 of 535 FirstFirst 1 315 365 405 415 425 465 515 535 LastLast