+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why do we use username aliases on social media?

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,281 times in 1,399 posts

Default Re: Why do we use username aliases on social media?

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    If we on Avalon asked members to please post their photos and real names, just as if they'd met someone in person (at least their first names, as they're called by their friends) — who'd be comfortable with that? (Don't worry: we're not actually going to do this! But it's quite an interesting theoretical question.)
    The internet is forever. I will never post my real name anywhere for public viewing. Unless you wish to be a public figure, to do so is naive. The world is becoming less and less tolerant of individuality and diversity of opinion. I was naive in the early 90s but thankfully my name is common enough and it's buried in usenet databases that are seldom read or searched anymore. If someone wants to know about me, they'll have to get off their ass and talk to me, or hire a private investigator to follow me around.

Better questions: Why do people cooperate with technocrats who are getting rich setting up a surveillance society and an ultimate Hell on Earth? Why are they too lazy to go to an ATM and pay with cash? Why do they want everything about themselves available to the public? Why do they trust organized criminals in govt to protect them? Why are they too disinterested to read 1984, Brave New World and any history of the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany?
    The elitists want it all out there. Imagine you're an 80 year old multi-billionaire and you need a new organ. You have ties to all the data bases and all the people the "Subjects" as they see us and you could be innocent and they could simply have had access to your 23 and me DNA and haplogroup, they had access to your medical file and your blood which they managed to get samples of during a routine biopsy for something routine you had done and then you go in later for a scheduled surgery say for a prostate removal and you wake up to discover they took a kidney 'By Accident' but the truth is they needed your kidney and took it leaving you without it and they knew you were a perfect match for the elite chap that needed your organ.

Think it's unlikely? You know they have so many data bases and so many hackers but they probably financed it all to begin with which means they own it all to do just those very things up to and including killing us to prolong their lives.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (23rd April 2019), petra (23rd April 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

If someone says: "Hi, pleased to meet you, I'm John from New York", we don't reply: "Hi, I'm Galactic Warrior, and I'm certainly not going to tell you anything else."

How did this insanity all start?
    I've been around for a while, and before the internet, I used to run a BBS (Bulletin board system). We had usernames then too, absolutely NO ONE used their real name.

A lot of BBS's started out with fantasy games, and we played stuff like 'Legend of the red dragon'. It was text based. You could have "sex" with other players, get beauty points, et cetera. I think that's probably part of why the nicknames started - because we were using them to log onto BBS's so we could play fantasy RPGs

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Bob (23rd April 2019), Denise/Dizi (23rd April 2019), silvanelf (28th May 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,316 times in 2,099 posts

One of the main issues for me was remembering what happened to a friend who went for a job interview and discovered that they had searched for her online and found quite an innocent discussion on some forum about The Law of Attraction. They grilled her about it and other things about her online presence. The bottom line is she didn't get the job mainly due to her 'bizarre' interests in esoteric subjects.

It can be as innocent as UFOs, the LOA, vaccine safety or climate change. Having unpopular non-consensus views can bring unwanted attention and repercussions. This may not present much of an issue for some people in some circumstances, but for others it may be quite problematic. Each must decide for themselves.

I hear the last few years that some employers demand access to a prospective employee's FB account. If the prospects refuse they will not even be considered. The entire FB history can also be purchased for a low fee if one knows where to look.

Some people won't have a FB account because of that and other reasons; why would they want their actual name out there on public forums and social platforms? I think I recall Avalon does social research on prospective members. It has it benefits...

So, many people consider an alias as some protection from those without their best interests at heart.

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Franny For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Constance (23rd April 2019), Denise/Dizi (23rd April 2019), Intranuclear (27th April 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th September 2020), mojo (23rd April 2019), Nasu (25th April 2019), petra (24th April 2019), Rosemarie (24th April 2019), Seabreeze (23rd April 2019), silvanelf (28th May 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

It is a (small) protection .....and important those days in many cases....

why you think they started fb and other so called social medias? It is all to spy and get detailed informations on all of us...to get everybodys profil...... We are mainly made out of glas in the net....
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 23rd April 2019 at 19:33.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (23rd April 2019), Franny (23rd April 2019), Intranuclear (27th April 2019), petra (24th April 2019), silvanelf (28th May 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 times in 1,693 posts

I think that you're ALL right, because there are so many reasons for why we do it.

Sadly, while the internet brings us together, in many ways it forces us to be more isolated than we ever were before.. It makes you ponder if this will be a good thing for our future? Or something else entirely. Just a random thought I was having I thought I would share..

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Bob (23rd April 2019), ClearWater (24th April 2019), Franny (23rd April 2019), petra (24th April 2019), Rosemarie (24th April 2019), Soda (26th April 2019), Sue (Ayt) (26th September 2020), Valerie Villars (24th April 2019), william r sanford72 (24th April 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,637 times in 2,654 posts

I have been here for many years, there are those who know my identity, that is my choice. Just read through all of this, and ‘mountain of a molehill’ exudes, some who protest too much, verbosity yet again for really no gain but just diatribe presence - let it go - some of us still want to be anonymous in the public eye - so please respect that, thanks.
    The love you withhold is the pain that you carry
    and er..
    "Chariots of the Globs" (apols to Fat Freddy's Cat)

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to avid For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (24th April 2019), meeradas (25th April 2019), petra (24th April 2019), silvanelf (28th May 2019), Valerie Villars (24th April 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

Quote Posted by Praxis (here)
    This is an Emperor's New Clothes question.

I wonder if anyone familiar with the history of social media knows the answer.

Why do posters on forums use anonymous usernames? And how did this start?

We all take it for granted these days, of course. But just consider it all for a moment.

When at a meeting, a social event, a party, or even chatting to someone on a bus or a plane, we introduce ourselves with our real names.

If someone says: "Hi, pleased to meet you, I'm John from New York", we don't reply: "Hi, I'm Galactic Warrior, and I'm certainly not going to tell you anything else."

How did this insanity all start? (And do think about it: I do understand all the personal safety thing, but a lot of this is just nuts. And it is indirectly responsible for a large amount of abuse and toxicity that's prevalent on the net, simply because it's so easy to hide behind a mask.)

If we on Avalon asked members to please post their photos and real names, just as if they'd met someone in person (at least their first names, as they're called by their friends) — who'd be comfortable with that? (Don't worry: we're not actually going to do this! But it's quite an interesting theoretical question.)
    Bill most kids actually have a gaming handle they go by, think like long haul truckers and ham radio people have a handle on the radio, instead of their real name when gaming. I do and it is generally the persona I use when online.

That is why most people my age(33) or younger do it. (at least this is my guess) . Why: We value privacy.

If I were forced to reveal who I am on this site I would probably stop using it. Now, someone who has been paying attention could certainly figure out who I am on here as I have left too much identity. But that at least takes leg work.

Part of why I dont like this Bill is it takes away the Du ceremony(In German, you dont call people with you until you have an official little ceremony where now you can call each other you(du)) that I can choose to have with people.

There are people on here that I have PM with and have given my real name, at least first name. I feel this is a form trust you give someone. So if you know my first name I probably like you.

Finally, it would be irresponsible to force this policy on a website such as this. This should be a safe place for people to share and seek help about intense and extraordinary experiences. Even encouraging people to use their real name would force would be whistleblowers and seekers to make a choice or start off with a pseudo real name just to not stick out for the normality of the board.

I would gladly tell Bill my full name, but as for the rest of yall . . .
    Praxis is correct the "gaming community" has also used what we call a Nik ( Nickname) which is now referred to as a "gamer tag"....this is an extension of a "Nik" being used in older BBS boards and is a throwback to CB users especially truckers had a "Handle" which were call signs in army days.

What I find to be amusing is how actual corporate social media and some governments are now requiring REAL VERIFIED ID to set up some user and internet accounts.....if we were all "paid users" admin would know who we actually are or pretending to be....through billing information.

This begs the question..do we all take off our masks and expose ourselves to our loving community?....and also make ourselves vulnerable to some of those who pop in here for a short time for nefarious and selfish reasons? I'll tell you my real name Bill but I am NOT Doxxing myself and having Corey Goode's Mafia of Deranged Sycophants and Handlers visit me at home or at work.....if an alphabet soup agency wants to know who I am.....they already do!

A conundrum!

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Bob (24th April 2019), Denise/Dizi (24th April 2019), petra (24th April 2019), silvanelf (28th May 2019), Valerie Villars (24th April 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

@CurEus -

Quote This begs the question..do we all take off our masks and expose ourselves to our loving community?....and also make ourselves vulnerable to some of those who pop in here for a short time for nefarious and selfish reasons? I'll tell you my real name Bill but I am NOT Doxxing myself and having Corey Goode's Mafia of Deranged Sycophants and Handlers visit me at home or at work.....if an alphabet soup agency wants to know who I am.....they already do!
    well I will tell you, for the last 28 years I have had EXACTLY that, deranged psychopaths at my home and work. One learns to deal with it, not let them even when they steal your real identity, to take them to task, and not let them abuse you, or harm you or your family. In other words, the psychopath is dealt with, period. No more hiding behind some mask - if one is to be honest with identity and honest with the world, one doesn't need to hide - as you've said, the alphabet soupers absolutely know who one is - one is deluding oneself it seems to be saying they are going to hide.

If one's boss is a prick too, then one maybe doesn't need to be working with such organizations as they no doubt have something to hide - hiding means one has a secret or 10, and that puts stress on the psyche, the body. Keeping secrets then is not open light policy, and we have the reason for Snowden's and Assanges revealing the darkness to those who also want to "hide" (with an excuse well little secrets are fine, its the big ones you see...) the justifications don't work, one has to deal with the psychopaths - they have a secret - they want your life, they want to attack you behind your back with impunity, covertly or overtly.. Stopping the hiding, then allows for truth that can be verified it seems to me.

16. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    I've been around for a while, and before the internet, I used to run a BBS (Bulletin board system). We had usernames then too, absolutely NO ONE used their real name.

A lot of BBS's started out with fantasy games, and we played stuff like 'Legend of the red dragon'. It was text based. You could have "sex" with other players, get beauty points, et cetera. I think that's probably part of why the nicknames started - because we were using them to log onto BBS's so we could play fantasy RPGs
    What I was thinking. Also I remember when I used to play online games your name would always be taken, so you'd have to make up something. Also the early internet/computer/virus/sex appeal/whatever was a big thing in the 90s. A la:

Definitely needed a cool name. 'Dave' or whatever just doesn't cut it when your going up against 'MaximumOverdrive'.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), CurEus (25th April 2019), petra (24th April 2019), silvanelf (28th May 2019)

18. Link to Post #30
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Also I remember when I used to play online games your name would always be taken, so you'd have to make up something. Also the early internet/computer/virus/sex appeal/whatever was a big thing in the 90s.

Definitely needed a cool name. 'Dave' or whatever just doesn't cut it when your going up against 'MaximumOverdrive'.
    I really liked Hackers movie. I named my BBS after a location in the movie.
    My name is the same as the lead female character too.
    Don't you dare tell anyone what my name is lol. If they want to know my name, they'll just have to ask me, or figure it out the hard way

PS: CrashOverride not MaximumOverdrive lol. And DADE.... not Dave! Ha ha ha
    Last edited by petra; 24th April 2019 at 18:37.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), Strat (24th April 2019)

20. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,511 times in 181 posts

I resonate with a lot of the comments on both sides of this discussion. The only thing I have to add (sorry if someone already mentioned this and I overlooked it) is that our 'real' names are also aliases. The name I go by here more clearly represents who I am than my given name does.
    "Be a Light to Yourself" ~ J. Krishnamurti

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ClearWater For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), CurEus (25th April 2019), jebrenham (24th April 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (26th September 2020), meeradas (25th April 2019), petra (26th April 2019), Rich (24th April 2019), Valerie Villars (25th April 2019)

22. Link to Post #32
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

How do you pronounce "Hervé"?

[ "air" + ve(locity) or ve(hicle British)]
    Last edited by Hervé; 25th April 2019 at 14:50.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jebrenham For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019)

24. Link to Post #33
    Hong Kong Avalon Member syrwong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,568 times in 712 posts

Your real name is the name your friends are accustomed to and one you respond to. After long enough, any alias you use becomes your real name. I did not think it mattered what name I used when I joined Avalon, so instead of spending time to think out a good alias, I used my real name. Apparently I was right, after so many years, I have not been bugged or hacked, and no ET located me and stood by my bed.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to syrwong For This Post:

BMJ (25th April 2019), petra (26th April 2019), Valerie Villars (25th April 2019)

26. Link to Post #34
    UK Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 times in 591 posts

It's an interesting point, Bill. You're so right about the anonymity being the cause of most toxicity and abuse online.

27. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by petra (here)
    PS: CrashOverride not MaximumOverdrive lol. And DADE.... not Dave! Ha ha ha
    I blame the Mandela effect (joking).
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

petra (26th April 2019)

29. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member DSKlausler's Avatar
    Language
    Kings' English (colored)
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    The internet is forever. I will never post my real name anywhere for public viewing. Unless you wish to be a public figure, to do so is naive. The world is becoming less and less tolerant of individuality and diversity of opinion. I was naive in the early 90s but thankfully my name is common enough and it's buried in usenet databases that are seldom read or searched anymore. If someone wants to know about me, they'll have to get off their ass and talk to me, or hire a private investigator to follow me around.

Better questions: Why do people cooperate with technocrats who are getting rich setting up a surveillance society and an ultimate Hell on Earth? Why are they too lazy to go to an ATM and pay with cash? Why do they want everything about themselves available to the public? Why do they trust organized criminals in govt to protect them? Why are they too disinterested to read 1984, Brave New World and any history of the Soviet Union or Nazi Germany?
    Right there with ya... I so wish that I had never implemented my current UserName.
    I am actually shocked that so many Users would make it even EASIER to be surveilled by the average low-level predator (which is quite broad).

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DSKlausler For This Post:

petra (26th April 2019)

31. Link to Post #37
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by syrwong (here)
    Your real name is the name your friends are accustomed to and one you respond to. After long enough, any alias you use becomes your real name.
    Back in BBS days, a guy I dated tried to insist I call him by his handle. I just couldn't do it, I felt too foolish. After a while I began calling him [Real Name][Handle][Real Name] behind his back, and that actually caught on. He wasn't pleased ha ha

I've changed my 'official name that I go by' twice throughout my life time. The first time I just changed the spelling but the pronunciation stayed the same, and the second time I shortened it. The name I go by now is what my parents always used to call me, and so it feels more 'official'

32. The Following User Says Thank You to petra For This Post:

Valerie Villars (10th May 2019)

33. Link to Post #38
    United States Avalon Member Smell the Roses's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 times in 285 posts

I chose my UserName in 2013, because I had used it in a Ron Paul forum (the now defunct Daily Paul) during the 2012 election hoopla, and it seemed easy to use it again. I suppose levels of anonymity may represent levels of desired responsibility. Those who use legal names and personal photos are taking a higher level of responsibility in my eyes. Another endeavor I have where I use my real name has led to people expecting me to solve various problems and provide some kind of example for living. I didn't want to be a leader there and just started the whole thing on a whim; but then it took on a life of its own. I'm not really comfortable with this, because it takes time away from my family. I can barely keep up with my job and family and decided a while ago not to take on anything new, because I needed to fulfill the commitments I already had. I publicly announced that I was stepping back from that endeavor a couple of years ago, and others are carrying it on. To be blunt, I don't feel like I have a huge amount of responsibility here. If I were not here, everything would carry on pretty much the same way that it is now. I am happy being a small cog here, so I hope that will continue to be an option.
    There's no time like the present.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smell the Roses For This Post:

Bill Ryan (9th May 2019), petra (29th April 2019), silvanelf (28th May 2019), Valerie Villars (10th May 2019)

35. Link to Post #39
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

I choose to hide behind an alias because if my work colleagues found out about what I do online I would probably loose my job! I work for a financial institution.

My actual name is John but that is sufficiently common that I don't mind using it.

There is probably enough on this forum to pin me down in RL if someone really wanted to do it, but I am guessing those people who make those kind of connections will be on my side and wont dox me.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

silvanelf (28th May 2019), Smell the Roses (10th May 2019), Valerie Villars (10th May 2019)

37. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member James's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 times in 174 posts

I prefer to avoid the notoriety

Aside from the obvious, there’s a sublime art of portraying the aspects of our psyche the world rarely sees (though we wish it did!) The aspects concealed by the overbearing, or the stamps we’ve already been tattooed by, that we feel define us more than our regular actions.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

Smell the Roses (10th May 2019), Sue (Ayt) (26th September 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast