+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My experience >> Electronics & media addiction: cut or curb?

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default My experience >> Electronics & media addiction: cut or curb?

So I have a super power. It’s a magnetic force that instinctively draws me to every possible addictive process in life where I suckle on them until I am sick, forcing me to seek understanding and solutions to whichever process I’m looking at..or else be left where I stopped moving.

This lifelong tendency has taken me down your most common addiction avenues as well as lesser known ones, enriching me with the beautiful first hand knowledge of the benefits and absolute necessity of healthy living, healthy thinking, healthy relationships, transparency, constant introspection, simplicity, and of course spirituality. (The latter being most special to me as vividly answered prayers started me on this journey of fighting my leanings and has continued to enable me in this journey in most personal even miraculous ways).

While I by no means claim perfection in anything, I am living a lifestyle completely different and more satisfying than I could have ever thought possible, with one odd puzzle piece not quite fitting and needing to be addressed: my freaking phone and iPad.

Thanks in part to some intriguing education on the dopamine pathways and frontal lobe brain function compromise related to video games and common formats of your average television style entertainment, we got rid of the TV and significantly curtailed our streaming. This has most definitely been a painful and withdrawal inducing experience though a great one. In absence of these (very fun) outlets of relaxation, I’ve found myself continuing to spend a lot of my down time on my iPad and phone, mostly reading but definitely feeling the “need” to use these devices after a period of time of going without. I will say the difference I see in my iPad vs a book is that the Internet is more current and spoils me with it’s easily accessible variety as well as just being more entertaining in general.

To those in tune with my situation: why am i “jonesing” when I don’t get online (to literally just read) a little bit every day? Is this something you would potentially cut out (within reason) when in search of higher truth?

During these considerations I worry I’m thinking too “black and white” and that moderation, even within certain addictive processes is possibly the answer. My prayers tell me something needs to change.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jax_realm; 1st May 2019 at 05:36.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jax_realm For This Post:

ByTheNorthernSea (1st May 2019), Constance (1st May 2019), gord (1st May 2019), meeradas (1st May 2019), Pam (1st May 2019), pueblo (1st May 2019), Sadieblue (2nd May 2019), Strat (1st May 2019), Valerie Villars (1st May 2019), what is a name? (1st May 2019), XelNaga (3rd May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Default Re: My experience >> Electronics & media addiction: cut or curb?

Quote Posted by Jax_realm (here)
    So I have a super power. It’s a magnetic force that instinctively draws me to every possible addictive process in life where I suckle on them until I am sick, forcing me to seek understanding and solutions to whichever process I’m looking at..or else be left where I stopped moving.
    I have the exact same power. I've been working on it lately and good god do i feel so much better. Kinda scary though, going back to said superpower seems to be my default.

Part of me changing my ways was getting to bed very early. I found that I had an electronics addiction for real. Kids joke about it but it is real.

I didn't throw out my tv all together, but I took the one in my room out. I originally took my laptop out but it grew legs and walked back in somehow. It hasn't been a problem as of yet though, as I haven't been using it so much.

I am back on books now. They're infinitely better than the University of Google. Yes, they are boring in comparison but you need a little grit when making life changes.

I'd say allow yourself X amount of time in the day to use electronics. Don't exceed it. If you exceed it by accident, oh well. If you just can't put the damn thing down and therefore exceed your time limit then you have a problem. Then you address it the same way other 'issues' are addressed.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Strat; 1st May 2019 at 11:52.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Constance (1st May 2019), gord (1st May 2019), Inaiá (8th May 2019), Jax_realm (1st May 2019), meeradas (1st May 2019), Pam (1st May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

I hear you. we practice max tolerance at home. "freedom of choice is ultimate" but when it comes to electronics we have to imposed limitations on children. Otherwise their life style is in chaotic state which reflects to household situation in general. I find it so astonishing this one issue becomes the exception at home. In fact I was thinking of writing here the same topic. Normally with other issues we just talk it over, open forum style then problem resolve. This one we talk many times but still unresolved with discussion so imposition is in place.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Constance (1st May 2019), Jax_realm (1st May 2019), meeradas (1st May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    I have the exact same power. I've been working on it lately and good god do i feel so much better. Kinda scary though, going back to said superpower seems to be my default.

Part of me changing my ways was getting to bed very early. I found that I had an electronics addiction for real. Kids joke about it but it is real.

I didn't throw out my tv all together, but I took the one in my room out. I originally took my laptop out but it grew legs and walked back in somehow. It hasn't been a problem as of yet though, as I haven't been using it so much.

I am back on books now. They're infinitely better than the University of Google. Yes, they are boring in comparison but you need a little grit when making life changes.

I'd say allow yourself X amount of time in the day to use electronics. Don't exceed it. If you exceed it by accident, oh well. If you just can't put the damn thing down and therefore exceed your time limit then you have a problem. Then you address it the same way other 'issues' are addressed.

Good luck!
    Interesting you say going to bed early, I’ve found that much less media consumption was a byproduct of that when I was “working on my circadian rhythm”, haha! Definitely worth a closer look..
    Thanks and luck to you too!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jax_realm For This Post:

Constance (1st May 2019), gord (1st May 2019), meeradas (1st May 2019), Strat (1st May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

No kidding. My wife teaches high school and talks about the growing trend of poor reading and critical thinking skills not to mention signs of poor mental health among her students. And the parents appear to be clueless...
    Where is the CNN special on this when you need it?!

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    I hear you. we practice max tolerance at home. "freedom of choice is ultimate" but when it comes to electronics we have to imposed limitations on children. Otherwise their life style is in chaotic state which reflects to household situation in general. I find it so astonishing this one issue becomes the exception at home. In fact I was thinking of writing here the same topic. Normally with other issues we just talk it over, open forum style then problem resolve. This one we talk many times but still unresolved with discussion so imposition is in place.
    Last edited by Jax_realm; 1st May 2019 at 12:31.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jax_realm For This Post:

Constance (1st May 2019), gord (1st May 2019), meeradas (1st May 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,854 times in 3,178 posts

There's no working "moderation" with addictions, you know that already.

No tv since '94; but know the streaming problem... taking long stretches of time (21+ days) off it helps -
    with your re-evaluation of the "preciousness of time well spent".

I do not know how it is to give up smartphone & ilk, as i never owned any...
    must be tough, as one gets dependent on 'em right away (which is why i refuse[d] to have them).

First thing that departs with the arrival of gps is your sense of orientation... that's why i went back to "no gps" -
    i do use a look at satellite maps before a trip, and memorize important points of the way.

Only device/-s i have is/are an ebook-reader (non-colour, simple monochrome screen - for a reason),
    and a bunch of new age wifi/ nfc - capable cameras; all in "flight mode", always.

Good luck!

PS: Yes, like Strat said: Back to real books!
    Get this,
    and start enjoying your 20/20 vision (i do not have it, that's why the ebook-reader: Fontsize!)
    Last edited by meeradas; 1st May 2019 at 19:43. Reason: explain

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Jax_realm (1st May 2019), Strat (1st May 2019), Tintin (2nd May 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by meeradas (here)
    Only device/-s i have is/are an ebook-reader (non-colour, simple monochrome screen - for a reason)
    Very cool. What do you use? Love the monochrome.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

meeradas (1st May 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,854 times in 3,178 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    What do you use?
    I have a simple amazon kindle (4th gen.) which i filled with converted pdfs only (these cannot be "updated" automatically, should i have it in non-flight mode).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Strat (1st May 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Haha I’m in awe of your skills right now. The re-evaluation of “preciousness of time well spent” resonates with me deeply for multiple reasons as well as me being useless without my GPS! And yea moderation, in my experience hasn’t been a friend. Thanks for the quality post, you too Strat
    Quote Posted by meeradas (here)
    There's no working "moderation" with addictions, you know that already.

No tv since '94; but know the streaming problem... taking long stretches of time (21+ days) off it helps -
    with your re-evaluation of the "preciousness of time well spent".

I do not know how it is to give up smartphone & ilk, as i never owned any...
    must be tough, as one gets dependent on 'em right away (which is why i refuse[d] to have them).

First thing that departs with the arrival of gps is your sense of orientation... that's why i went back to "no gps" -
    i do use a look at satellite maps before a trip, and memorize important points of the way.

Only device/-s i have is/are an ebook-reader (non-colour, simple monochrome screen - for a reason),
    and a bunch of new age wifi/ nfc - capable cameras; all in "flight mode", always.

Good luck!

PS: Yes, like Strat said: Back to real books!
    Get this,
    and start enjoying your 20/20 vision (i do not have it, that's why the ebook-reader: Fontsize!)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jax_realm For This Post:

meeradas (2nd May 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Is this something you would potentially cut out (within reason) when in search of higher truth?

During these considerations I worry I’m thinking too “black and white” and that moderation, even within certain addictive processes is possibly the answer. My prayers tell me something needs to change.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Hi Jax

If I was to ask you, how would the wisest and most knowing part of you respond, how would it answer?

My own thoughts are; moderation does not equal balance. I make it a part of my daily ritual to watch uplifting and inspiring videos - videos that intuitively connect me to what interests me the most, whatever it is that I am most passionate about in this life that enables me to develop all my souls, gifts, talents and skills.
    For example, I have an absolute passion for botany, and particular herbs. At the moment, I am learning all about Ecuadorian herbs (and learning some Spanish to boot).

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Jax_realm (2nd May 2019), Tintin (2nd May 2019)

+ Reply to Thread