+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avengers Endgame (No Spoilers, don't worry)

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,308 times in 5,692 posts

Default Avengers Endgame (No Spoilers, don't worry)

The Hulk dies midway thru the movie.
    (no he doesn't. relax).

Saw it last night. And being a typical gemini, I'm of 2 minds on it...

I walked away feeling resentful for having been tricked into feeling some emotion. It's all done in such a shallow and superficial way that when it was all over I couldn't be sure if the embarrassment I felt was more an indictment on me or the movie.

The script writer should be shot. No joke - a couple times I thought to myself (when things got especially predictable) "..no! no! Please don't say that. Oh God ple-"..and sure enough they would say it. Some of it was so awful and embarrassing that it actually caused me to shiver. One line in particular (i won't spoil anything, but you'll know it when you hear it...right at the end, uttered by Stark) left me almost frozen in shock at how bad it was (on so many levels). I was desperately hoping for one of those Scorcese meta-moments where the character becomes self-aware and addresses the audience to announce that the line was a mere joke, and replaces it with something reasonable.

Then there were all the tragically corny moments that were intended as comic relief. They were beyond trite, and you could see them coming from a mile away. And when they actually drew laughs from the audience I found myself wishing the ground would swallow me up. It made me embarrassed to be human.

Oh God, and those awful I-mean-business-faces the characters all make to represent a readiness for battle....just terrible. Especially when preceded by the sadly predictable "lets go kill those bastards!" Those types of lines actually drew whoops and hollers from the crowd, and I found myself writhing around in my chair in discomfort, lamenting my inability to disappear and reappear anywhere else besides that theatre. There's nothing worse than being stuck in a theatre full of idiots and being forced to share emotions with them. It's one of the most uncomfortable feelings in the world.

It's a superhero movie, so I guess the joke is on me if I complain about how predictable and formulaic it is, but it won't stop me from complaining how predictable and formulaic it is. I dunno, maybe I expect too much...maybe because it was built up so much (or maybe because I'm a former comic book nerd and prefer the dark gritty realism of Batman)

Maybe I'm being too much of a cynic. In many ways I wish I was as easily amused as the rest of the crowd. I really do.

To it's credit, even though you know what's coming in every scene, it still manages to entertain and make you care about the outcome and the characters...so it succeeds there. Not because it's so good, but mostly because people are so dumb now, including me.

(full transparency: to take the snob'ish feel off this post a little, I will confess to having gotten a little misty when one character in particular dies. a single tear may have been shed, much to my dismay. in my defense, i didnt even have time to think...it just happened..and i still haven't dismissed allergies as a possible culprit, or perhaps i was rubbing my eye too hard at some point during the movie, or maybe there was alot of moisture in the air. one can never be sure)
    Last edited by Mike; 2nd May 2019 at 04:43.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

angelfire (2nd May 2019), Constance (2nd May 2019), Denise/Dizi (2nd May 2019), DNA (2nd May 2019), drneglector (2nd May 2019), Inaiá (8th May 2019), janette (2nd May 2019), meeradas (2nd May 2019), Rosemarie (2nd May 2019), what is a name? (2nd May 2019), Zampano (2nd May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,223 times in 2,093 posts

Default Re: Avengers Endgame (No Spoilers, don't worry)

But yeah you said it -it is based on a comic book. And it is made for a vast age range. I expect that it would very hard to entirely please both the old and new fans of comic books - think of the span of years that actually covers. 60 years?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (2nd May 2019), Inaiá (8th May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019), Rosemarie (2nd May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Patient (here)
    But yeah you said it -it is based on a comic book. And it is made for a vast age range. I expect that it would very hard to entirely please both the old and new fans of comic books - think of the span of years that actually covers. 60 years?

yep, very true. and they do a good job of making it palatable for a very wide audience. kudos to them.

but i'm still gonna sh!t on it a little. someone has to.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (2nd May 2019), DNA (2nd May 2019), janette (2nd May 2019), Rosemarie (2nd May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

i forgot to mention the part where the formerly long-haired captain marvel reappears later in the movie with that junior lesbian camp haircut.

even my soul groaned.

no folks, there's nothing wrong with the haircut or the sexual preference of the character, that's not it. it was the not so subtle attempt at political correctness that drew my weary disappointment.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Constance (2nd May 2019), Denise/Dizi (2nd May 2019), DNA (2nd May 2019), drneglector (2nd May 2019), janette (2nd May 2019), Rosemarie (2nd May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,481 times in 1,693 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    (full transparency: to take the snob'ish feel off this post a little, I will confess to having gotten a little misty when one character in particular dies. a single tear may have been shed, much to my dismay. in my defense, i didnt even have time to think...it just happened..and i still haven't dismissed allergies as a possible culprit, or perhaps i was rubbing my eye too hard at some point during the movie, or maybe there was alot of moisture in the air. one can never be sure)
    snob'ish feel? That was the funniest visual I have ever had of someone giving a movie a critique.. I think I would rather sit and watch you watch the movie, than actually watch the movie itself, it sounds far more entertaining..

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

DNA (2nd May 2019), janette (2nd May 2019), Michi (2nd May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019), Rosemarie (2nd May 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member DNA's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,733 times in 4,313 posts

I haven't seen the movie yet, and I'm sure I will get around to it at some point, once I've heard it told and broken down to the point there is barely a point to seeing it at all.
    Truth be told, I'm getting off on a new form of anti activism this movie and Captain Marvell are creating.
    So many comic book nerds are banning together and discussing their subdued outrage over the anti-male slash anti-white-guy sentiments themed in the movies and especially voiced by the actress Brie Larson who plays Captain Marvell on multiple interviews.
    You can understand the backlash.
    Probably 98% or so of the folks who bought these stories in their comic book form are nerdy white guys, and the keep white-guys down message that George Soros is advocating for has indeed found its way into these movies. I'm loving the recognition nerd nation is giving this "get woke" phenomenon, even if their findings are the diet version, free of any real conspiracy or fingering of the dark lord Soros.
    They even have a rally cry for with holding their movie theater dollars, "get woke, go broke". This "woke" phenomenon is being called out in the new Star wars movies, the new Star trek series and the new doctor who series as well. Nerd nation has also seen collusion with the rotten tomatoes rating systems and "woke" movies getting a bump or their true (fan generated) rating numbers buried and hid.
    Many of these same folks are seeing a conspiracy with the film critics seemingly horrible movies are bring hailed by critics and loathed by fans. I'm loving this recognition by the type who give no attention to politics or the like seeing this as it is.
    Nerd nation has even gone so far as to point out fake revenue claims for Captain Marvell due to Disney buying up tickets to claim sold out status at hundreds of venues while the actual movie theatre workers post pictures on social media of empty theatres playing Captain Marvell while the tickets sales say sold out. Very fascinating watching non conspiracy types putting all of this together.
    Last edited by DNA; 2nd May 2019 at 09:45.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DNA For This Post:

meeradas (2nd May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

The next installment which marvel are calling Phase 4 will introduce the celestial characters ie Kang The Conquer, The Living Triunal, Eternity etc.
    I am convinced that these films are being produced to inject the idea of celestial beings into the publics consciousness & make a bag full of money @ the same time.

I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

meeradas (2nd May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Scotland Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,410 times in 1,804 posts

Thanks for saving me 8 bucks Mike. I know you are not a movie snob type.

Like me, you probably really wanted to like this movie, and were disappointed when it sucked. Interesting that we like superhero movies. They probably remind us of our extra-dimensional potential.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daozen For This Post:

Mike (2nd May 2019), Star Tsar (2nd May 2019), what is a name? (3rd May 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

I cannot last longer than 5 minutes watching movies. My children watch this. I tried but I felt I was being dupe. Disgusting. although I cannot explain why. simply felt disgusting to me.

Every morning before leaving bed I try to tune myself to a good vibe. You know what i mean. And everytime I watch movie I felt that that vibe is being rip off from me. Maybe that's the reason.
    Last edited by Bubu; 2nd May 2019 at 11:12.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Inaiá (8th May 2019), meeradas (2nd May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,261 times in 1,414 posts

I dunno, guys, but I enjoyed Endgame. I try not to prejudice the experience in advance. Sure, the audience's emotions are manipulated, but that's standard fare in watching movies.

Some quite amusing sequences in Endgame are quite subtle, for instance (pardon if these are mini-spoilers), such as ant-man being extricated from the quantum realm by a rat stepping on a button, or Thor being fat and disillusioned, or marvel's haircut change, or the sedate professor hulk, or cap fighting himself, or them going back to re-participate in past events, etc. These plot additions added dimensions to that were unexpected. Also, the concepts on time travel were interesting, and possibly worthy of its own thread.

Of course, it's got many cliché events, but a lot of those went along with the flow. And the devil got his comeupance. So count me as a satisfied customer, even if that sounds corny.
    Last edited by Justplain; 2nd May 2019 at 12:24.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

DNA (2nd May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Daozen (here)

Like me, you probably really wanted to like this movie, and were disappointed when it sucked. Interesting that we like superhero movies. They probably remind us of our extra-dimensional potential.

well, i guess you sort of have to remove all your defenses to enjoy a movie like this(at least i do). in a way, you have to give yourself permission, if that makes any sense.

you have to allow yourself to be emotionally manipulated; you have to allow yourself to laugh at the pitiful jokes. maybe there's some value in that, i don't know. i just couldn't do it.

i prefer a movie that reaches me organically, most of the time. but if you're in the mood for some mindless entertainment, it's a fun movie.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Justplain (here)
    I dunno, guys, but I enjoyed Endgame. I try not to prejudice the experience in advance. Sure, the audience's emotions are manipulated, but that's standard fare in watching movies.

Some quite amusing sequences in Endgame are quite subtle, for instance (pardon if these are mini-spoilers), such as ant-man being extricated from the quantum realm by a rat stepping on a button, or Thor being fat and disillusioned, or marvel's haircut change, or the sedate professor hulk, or cap fighting himself, or them going back to re-participate in past events, etc. These plot additions added dimensions to that were unexpected. Also, the concepts on time travel were interesting, and possibly worthy of its own thread.

Of course, it's got many cliché events, but a lot of those went along with the flow. And the devil got his comeupance. So count me as a satisfied customer, even if that sounds corny.

i hear you man. thats not corny at all. i have to say, over-all, i was entertained

maybe the issue is me, and not the movie. i have some very intelligent friends who enjoyed it just fine, without all the self-consciousness that plagues someone like me.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Justplain (3rd May 2019), meeradas (2nd May 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Language
    germanic
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,845 times in 3,177 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    [...] i guess you sort of have to remove all your defenses to enjoy a movie like this [...]
    Your guess is literally right... one does that before all kinds of intake (otherwise, it's refused or repelled).

The reported feelings you had while watching it speak for themselves (to yourself).

Makes one want to reconsider many a thing on the "nutritional list", doesn't it?!
    Last edited by meeradas; 16th April 2020 at 10:02. Reason: remove unnecessary emphasis

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meeradas For This Post:

Inaiá (8th May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,093 times in 20,639 posts

I haven't been in a movie theater in years (decades, actually), but I would imagine a large part of the problems you were having, Mike, had to do with the environment you were in.
    (Or did you think this particular movie from the Marvel series is worse than the predecessors?)
    I don't like being in crowds in general, especially these days when the public in general is so dumbed down and divided, so I do all my movie-watching at home, and if there is a segment on that I don't particularly want to watch, there are other things I can be doing since I'm not trapped in a seat in a dark theater.

I usually opt for more intelligent entertainment than Marvel comic-based movies too, but I still enjoy the latter on occasion just because I like the characters on the whole, and the actors playing them, and they are imaginative, even though very far-fetched.
    Even if a lot of their lines are hackneyed and trite, I think the actors usually manage to deliver them in a conscious enough way so that I'm not doubly insulted.
    ( But perhaps the standard has fallen with this particular sequel.)

What bothers me most is that there are so many battle sequences in such movies and they happen so quickly that I can't really follow the action and make sense of it unless I slow the DVD down.
    But as I don't want to watch all the fighting anyway, I usually just fast forward through them.
    (And it's disturbing the way that violence in movies affects us subconsciously. Back in the days when I was seriously considering being a Zen Buddhist nun, meditating a lot, going to non-violent, anti-war demonstrations, etc. I could not watch violence like that without becoming very upset.
    Nowadays I'm more "comfortably numb" and it doesn't bother me to that extent, but it worries me that we are perhaps being groomed and programmed by TPTB to provide lots more loosh by being their gladiators, or soldiers in whatever intergalactic wars they are planning to cook up, or whatever other nefarious schemes they have in the works. )

What we need is more ingenuity in non-violent techniques of defeating the dark, not more and more fantasies about superpowers that only designers of supersoldiers could come close to achieving.
    And the whole concept of supersoldiers is just leading into the opposite direction of where we need to be going.
    ( But most of the popular Marvel superheroes really are heroic in a Bodhisattvic kind of way, and that certainly also makes them more bearable than the darker anti-heroes.)

Marvel movies are just mindless entertainment, no doubt about it, but there's something so ridiculously American about them that I still enjoy somehow, I guess just because you can count on the good guys always winning in the end, and I'm American and I still have some shreds of faith in the so-called Yankee spirit and down to earth sense of humor.

One reason why I always enjoy your posts, Mike. I hope you will keep them coming!

QUOTE=Mike;1289575]
    Quote Posted by Daozen (here)

well, i guess you sort of have to remove all your defenses to enjoy a movie like this(at least i do). in a way, you have to give yourself permission, if that makes any sense.

you have to allow yourself to be emotionally manipulated; you have to allow yourself to laugh at the pitiful jokes. maybe there's some value in that, i don't know. i just couldn't do it.

i prefer a movie that reaches me organically, most of the time. but if you're in the mood for some mindless entertainment, it's a fun movie.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Justplain (here)

i hear you man. thats not corny at all. i have to say, over-all, i was entertained

maybe the issue is me, and not the movie. i have some very intelligent friends who enjoyed it just fine, without all the self-consciousness that plagues someone like me.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by onawah; 2nd May 2019 at 20:02.
    Each breath a gift...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Justplain (3rd May 2019), Mike (2nd May 2019)

+ Reply to Thread