Thread: Slander, Scam and Cannabis

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Positive, loving, healing and forgiving

(post deleted by Garlic)

~~~

Moderator note from Bill:

New member Garlic has asked us super-nicely to please be retired for personal reasons. We've honored that, of course, letting him know he'd be more than welcome back at any time.

To make sense of the discussion which follows and which has already started, his excellent premise (hence the original title: 'Slander, Scam and Cannabis') was to question what the heck had caused so many people in the alt community (and particularly those in the UFO/ET field) to go so far off the rails — to the extent of becoming illogical, over-credulous, deceptive, and even hostile and dangerously aggressive.
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 11th May 2019 at 13:28.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Garlic For This Post:

Andrew_K (10th May 2019), Bill Ryan (9th May 2019), Bob (9th May 2019), Chip (11th May 2019), christian (11th May 2019), drneglector (10th May 2019), Jasmyne Emmerick (10th May 2019), midnighthourshow (9th May 2019), onawah (9th May 2019), Pam (11th May 2019), Sadieblue (10th May 2019), Sunny-side-up (10th May 2019), toppy (10th May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Slander, Scam and Cannabis

Commercialization and monetization of the peace movement is what killed the peace movement of the 60s ... Money destroys everything it touches ... The excessive cannabis use probably didn't help the overall motivation though

But seriously, turning anything into something to only be valued by the money that could be made by pretending to support that "anything", will destroy whatever that "anything" was initially about.

That's the way I see it, and the strategy of destroying something by turning it into a money making machine is a real one, in fact it appears that Stephen Hodges may have been attempting to do exactly that with Avalon back in the day ...

You wouldn't happen to be "Bright Garlic" come back from retirement would you?
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 9th May 2019 at 22:40.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Franny (10th May 2019), Garlic (9th May 2019), onawah (9th May 2019), Pam (11th May 2019), Sunny-side-up (10th May 2019), toppy (10th May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,527 times in 32,931 posts

Folks, I've moved the 5 latest posts to this more appropriate existing thread:
    This new thread, with its interesting title, is really about how come the alternative media (and the UFO field in particular) has seemingly become so polluted in the last few years by those with disruptive and even hostile agendas.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

christian (11th May 2019), Garlic (10th May 2019), Kryztian (10th May 2019), Pam (11th May 2019), toppy (10th May 2019), Yoda (12th May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Germany Avalon Member christian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,191 times in 2,965 posts

The responsibility lies everywhere. Yet I would encourage everyone to focus on their own responsibility.

Are you interested in drama and sensationalism, are you an armchair quarterback, are you engaging in petty squabble? Or are you doing the hard work to stay measured, grounded and focused on upholding higher standards?

I think people like to feel that they're involved and engaged more than they actually want to be engaged. Having the feeling to be part of this momentous struggle of humanity is exciting and doesn't take much effort. Making a only a little real difference, however, is a lot of hard and tedious work.

We, as a human species, are simply quite lazy and easily succumb to all the little vices and temptations that keep us stuck in the quagmire that we're in.

Actual discipline is in many ways among the hardest, most unsexy, most unpleasant, most unappealing things one could strive for, yet it's the only thing that actually enables a positive development.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to christian For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th May 2019), Flyswim (11th May 2019), Michi (11th May 2019), Pam (11th May 2019), Strat (11th May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,696 times in 3,333 posts

Quote Posted by christian (here)
    The responsibility lies everywhere. Yet I would encourage everyone to focus on their own responsibility.

Are you interested in drama and sensationalism, are you an armchair quarterback, are you engaging in petty squabble? Or are you doing the hard work to stay measured, grounded and focused on upholding higher standards?

I think people like to feel that they're involved and engaged more than they actually want to be engaged. Having the feeling to be part of this momentous struggle of humanity is exciting and doesn't take much effort. Making a only a little real difference, however, is a lot of hard and tedious work.

We, as a human species, are simply quite lazy and easily succumb to all the little vices and temptations that keep us stuck in the quagmire that we're in.

Actual discipline is in many ways among the hardest, most unsexy, most unpleasant, most unappealing things one could strive for, yet it's the only thing that actually enables a positive development.
    christian, thanks for this incredible post. I really need to be reminded that at the end of the day, it is discipline that is the cornerstone to change and transformation. It's interesting that I rarely hear anyone address this.

I can personally relate to wanting to feel like I am involved in something rather than getting off my butt and actually mustering the planning, commitment and discipline to actually make it happen. There have been areas of my life where I actually participate towards a transformation, then the challenge becomes a willingness to accept the outcome, even if it is an unnoticeable drop in the bucket.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th May 2019), christian (11th May 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by christian (here)

I agree Christian, I find most of your post interesting. Your wisdom far exceeds your age. But let me add to this one. Its the "hardest, most unsexy, most unpleasant, most unappealing things one could strive for" because it makes us like a robot. The best recipe is inspiration. Inspiration will bring that discipline you wanted and then you can have the change you wanted plus you are living a life. So find that thing that inspires you and make the jump.
    But wait you also need the courage to jump into that inspiration. This one is beyond me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

christian (11th May 2019)

+ Reply to Thread