+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone here work with electronics?

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Default Anyone here work with electronics?

Long story short I need help with electronics. I'm very busy at the moment but in probably a month or so I am picking up an old project that was on the backburner for some time. Basically I'm having trouble installing a rasberry pi in my vehicle. DC/DC inverter I thought would fix the problem but it's not.

Also, less important, is I like older audio/video stuff like amps, vcrs, etc. Mostly amps, I love music.

I've been looking for someone who can maybe point me in a proper direction, though I'd be willing to pay (via pay pal) for skype sessions or whatever for more in depth advice.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bob (10th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019), Intranuclear (11th May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Default Re: Anyone here work with electronics?

Whats a raspberry pi?
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019), Sunny-side-up (12th May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

From their site:
    Quote The Raspberry Pi is a low cost, credit-card sized computer that plugs into a computer monitor or TV, and uses a standard keyboard and mouse. It is a capable little device that enables people of all ages to explore computing, and to learn how to program in languages like Scratch and Python. It’s capable of doing everything you’d expect a desktop computer to do, from browsing the internet and playing high-definition video, to making spreadsheets, word-processing, and playing games.
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/wha...-raspberry-pi/

I know I could just buy an inverter (I already have one) but that's kinda cheating.

EDIT: by 'cheating inverter' I mean cigar lighter style
    Last edited by Strat; 10th May 2019 at 18:31.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bob (10th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Tam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,363 times in 496 posts

Hmmm...I might be able to help you (and don't worry about payment). I have a Pi hooked up to my TV, I use it as a one-stop emulator for retro console gaming.

What do you need it in your vehicle for?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tam For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Intranuclear's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 times in 360 posts

I built quite a few RPI projects for robotics and AI.
    Are you trying to convert car's 12V into Pi's 5V?
    Are you talking about a DC Bost Power Converter, like on Amazon for $15?
    https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converte...ustomerReviews

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019), Strat (11th May 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Intranuclear (here)
    I built quite a few RPI projects for robotics and AI.
    Are you trying to convert car's 12V into Pi's 5V?
    Are you talking about a DC Bost Power Converter, like on Amazon for $15?
    https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Converte...ustomerReviews
    That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

I believe I tried that and it didn't work. It's been a while, not sure what happened (operator error def a possibility), I think it gave low power warning and restarted about a min after loading the OS.

EDIT: oh it did have a touchscreen and sound hat. The TS had its own separate power supply.
    Last edited by Strat; 11th May 2019 at 05:29.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

13. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 times in 309 posts

I think it gave low power warning and restarted about a min after loading the OS.

Sounds like the converter is not able to deliver the amps you need, maybe try something that has higher power rating???

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

15. Link to Post #8
    Indonesia Avalon Member octobpra's Avatar
    Thanks

hello sirs,
    how are you ?? sorry lately i am very busy and rare to visit this forum again, and yes i am working with raspberry 3b+ with dac and many sound sytem , i build several audio project by myself, and i have a background in electronic when i am in university, may be i can help a little bit for your project.
    note : if you want build raspberry pi on car the supply can not be use high freq psu like converter... use battery instead... and note raspberry pi need stabil voltage around 5v or 5.25v in dc and need around 1 amp current for properly operated.
    next i will upload the picture of my project....
    see you and hope you will nice with your project then.

best regards,
    Budijanto Pra.
    cheers......

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to octobpra For This Post:

Bob (11th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019), Strat (14th May 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

So reviewers are using this to power the Raspberry Pi in their cars with: https://www.amazon.com/eBoot-MP1584E...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Only $7.95

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

Strat (14th May 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,741 times in 1,499 posts

If I understand you correctly, you are just trying to reduce a car's 12V (usually close to 13.8V) to 5V. Not sure how much current a Raspberry Pi uses, but I doubt it's more than 1A at 5V.

If so, a 1A 5V regulator IC is all you need. Just look up LM7805 voltage regulator here: https://www.sparkfun.com/datasheets/...nts/LM7805.pdf

There's no nasty switching going on, just old-fashioned liner voltage regulation. Pay attention the the values and locations of the decoupling capacitors and make sure they are within an inch or so of the IC in/out leads.

The LM7805 should probably be bolted to a heat sink (plenty of metal in a car!). Not sure if the mounting tab needs insulating from ground or not. I don't think so but check. I'm sure it'll provide 1.5A without any problems.

Nick

Edit: If you really need more than 2A, the LM123 will supply 3A at 5V. http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm323-n.pdf

There's also this for 5V at 7.5A! https://www.analog.com/en/products/l...oduct-overview
    Last edited by Nick Matkin; 11th May 2019 at 20:38.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nick Matkin For This Post:

Bob (11th May 2019), DeDukshyn (15th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019), Michi (11th May 2019), Strat (14th May 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

So 1A is not enough for the Raspberry Pi, you will get lots of low power warnings and reboots. The Rasberry Pi 3B+ is actually more power efficient, but I don't think that is what is being used.
    The recommended rating is 2A and maybe more if you have other peripherals like touchscreen (which he does) and perhaps USB attachments.
    The module I linked to is cheap and people seem to be using it just for that and can evidently provide up to 3A. I have not used it myself, but you do have to be careful with Raspberry as it is very finicky when it comes to power fluctuations and variability in the voltage. For example you can easily blow it above 5V.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

Bob (11th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019), Strat (14th May 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,293 times in 6,140 posts

What do you think of the Arduino's and the "shields" for add-ons - as to power there are so many different methods to get efficient clean power and various currents. I agree with Nick, the 7805 is a good choice with the right caps and remember to add the reverse diode from output back to input to deal with the output filter cap discharging.. National instruments has some good datasheets on that.

24. Link to Post #13
    Indonesia Avalon Member octobpra's Avatar
    Thanks

dear sirs,
    as long as i know rasp must stable on voltage (is not about amperage) , need voltage without load is around 5.25v, linear psu needed for audio sytem, just use battery for phone or something like that or android charger but need change the connector for insert to rasp.....
    here is another product for your idea :https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-DC-to-...-/252650341819
    cheers.....

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octobpra For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (12th May 2019), Strat (14th May 2019)

26. Link to Post #14
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Thank you all very much for your comments. It will be a while till I get to this project but whenever I do I'll post results here.

Another question: I'd like to further my education on electrical/electronics whatever. Due to health, physically going to trade school isn't an option. I've done it in the past but there were also courses i'd have to drop and that's like flushing money down the toilet. I'd like to take online courses, do any of you know of a website that can teach me this stuff? Also what would be the actual name of a course that I should sign up for? 'Intro into electronics' or something like that i'd assume. I've completed an electrical course in the past at said trade school (actually a community college at the time) for automotive but it's extremely basic and offers zero help w/ electronics.

27. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

No course will teach you more than just getting a most basic arduino kit and just build the basic circuits. I got my son such a kit when he was 9 and we then progressed to building all kinds of cool toys and robots. You also end up learning programming as a byproduct of just working with an arduino. You will learn far more than in any course you will take and in much shorter time.
    You should also get a cheap multimeter with a transistor checker and capacitance meter. Amazon has them starting at $15. Don't spend more until you need to.
    You can get a great arduino kit for around $20-$30 such as this: https://www.amazon.com/LAFVIN-Projec...gateway&sr=8-3

A decent meter I also got for him that has served well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I promise it will be more fun and you will learn far more than ANY course you will take.
    The great thing about arduino is the insane amount of online help for virtually any kind of project you have in mind.

I will be more than happy to help either in this thread or just PM me.
    Have fun.

Oh, and I can always send you all kinds of spare arduinos or parts if money is an issue. However, arduinos are pretty tough so they can take quite a beating and still work, unlike a Raspberry Pi, which is clearly more powerful but also much harder to get basic things working quickly.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

Strat (15th May 2019)

29. Link to Post #16
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,103 times in 806 posts

Most cheap power supplies have less than 80% of power efficiency. Suppose Raspberry Pi requires 5V, 1A power (5W), then I would buy 5V, 1.5A or 5V, 2A one.
    For free society!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Hughe For This Post:

Strat (16th May 2019)

+ Reply to Thread