Thread: Chi sau, Chi gong and random healing

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Default Chi sau, Chi gong and random healing

I've meant to bring this up for a while.

I've only somewhat recently become aware of chi gong and its health benefits. It reminded me of when I used to train (wing chun): we had an exercise called chi sao. It is an exercise to develop sensitivity in ones arms as well as a few other things more so combat related. You start out with one hand (don chi sao) then advance to using both hands (shaun chi sao).

When I was training I had these embarrassing cluster of warts on the joint of my thumb. I had them treated by a dermatologist but they came back. I tried the home treatment as well (more or less same as dermatologist method, freezing) but they'd come back. It was gross.

As soon as I began training shaun chi sao the warts went away, all of them, instantly. Like flicking a switch. They never came back till about 10 years later but not as bad, and the home freeze treatment got rid of them this time.

So here's my question: did the chi sao exercises have some random healing effect the same way chi gong does? I'd like to learn more about this if someone can point me in a direction.

I'm skeptical of this, I do believe in coincidences, but my mind is open.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (10th June 2019), Belle (9th June 2019), Constance (16th May 2019), meeradas (17th May 2019), Olam (10th June 2019), Omi (17th May 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (17th May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Intranuclear's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 times in 360 posts

Default Re: Chi sau, Chi gong and random healing

There are so many variables here.
    Freezing has never worked in my experience as it does not get to the root, so they grow back. If you catch the wart just when it is starting to appear, then maybe freezing would work, but once rooted, you need other measures.
    Warts are caused by viruses so clearly your immune system is at work and that is affected by a gazillion things, like your environment, the foods you consume, etc.

ALL martial arts emphasize breathing which absolutely affects your immune system and health. So no surprise there.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (10th June 2019), Belle (9th June 2019), Constance (16th May 2019), meeradas (17th May 2019), Olam (10th June 2019), Omi (17th May 2019), Strat (9th June 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Japan Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Eastern martial art techniques stress the use of Qi (or Ki in Japanese and Korean) energy but I don't want to go there.
    I use qi-gong as a healing modality and not as a fighting technique.
    (Some) qi-gong masters can make humans and animals immobile. But abuse of such energy is conducive to bad karma.

It takes breathing exercises and meditation to strengthen the qi

6. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 times in 325 posts

Great book for Chi Gong practice--Still as a Mountain, Powerful as Thunder
    by Y.P. Dong

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Still-Mount.../dp/087773688X

Last edited by frankstien; 19th May 2019 at 01:21.
    "If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (10th June 2019), Belle (9th June 2019), DeeMetrios (4th July 2019), Didgevillage (19th May 2019), Inaiá (19th May 2019), Olam (10th June 2019), Strat (10th June 2019)

8. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member frankstien's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,677 times in 325 posts

Here is another great book for internal martial artists and practitioners of Chi Gong--

Warrior Walking by Josh Holzer
    https://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Walki.../dp/1892515253

Once you have this little tome in your library you'll read it again every couple of years--a lot of VERY interesting information.
    "If the media will show us airplanes disappearing into towers on 9/11--they'll show us ANYTHING and expect us to believe it."
    --frankstien

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to frankstien For This Post:

Bassplayer1 (10th June 2019), Belle (9th June 2019), Constance (9th June 2019), DeeMetrios (4th July 2019), Olam (10th June 2019), Omi (10th June 2019), Strat (10th June 2019)

10. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Bassplayer1's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,046 times in 264 posts

Thank you Strat for this post and thank you Frankstein for the links. Strat, I know nothing about Chi Sau but QiGong is very effective. I'm assuming Chi Sau it's from the Chinese Tradition? If so, I reckon you could be on to something and there's no reason why it wouldn't have the potential to heal in the same way as Yoga, Tai Chi, QiGong etc. As far as I'm concerned, QiGong is wonderful and really powerful! What gets me is its effectiveness based on gentle practice. When I first moved to Canada I started doing QiGong classes but then they folded. I kind of let the whole thing slide until the end of last year when I came across this YouTube vid and this beautiful woman ... For anyone who happens to be reading this and hasn't done QiGong have a look. I've learnt this routine that I don't actually need to follow the video anymore, but I love this woman and I always stick it on and follow her because it just feels nice to do so. I know she's not with me in reality but it doesn't matter. Oh, and its nice to see a YouTube video with the comments full of love and not spiteful trolling, so that says something! If you feel that Chi Sau has had a positive effect Strat, then go with it and see where it takes you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwlvTcWR3Gs

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bassplayer1 For This Post:

Olam (10th June 2019), Omi (10th June 2019), Strat (10th June 2019)

12. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Bassplayer1 (here)
    Thank you Strat for this post and thank you Frankstein for the links. Strat, I know nothing about Chi Sau but QiGong is very effective. I'm assuming Chi Sau it's from the Chinese Tradition?
    Chi sau ('sticky hands,' in mandarin) is a drill for wing chun practitioners. We never spoke of 'chi' in the traditional sense and nobody else (that I've heard of in the WC circles) reported healing benefits from any WC exercise. If anything just the opposite haha, my teeth are chipped from a knee to the face. Also my shoulders are a bit funky and I suspect it's from throwing lots of elbows and 'bong saos'. But I dunno I'm no doctor.

I do stand by what I said though, it was fascinating to see the warts just simply vanish. They didn't slowly go away it was overnight. However, in life I don't draw conclusions quickly. I absolutely will accept the coincidence explanation.

I'm not practicing WC at the moment so I can't drill chi sau since it requires a partner.

My health has been poor lately and I'm going to see a local traditional chinese medicine doctor. He does acupuncture, massage, and traditional chinese medicines. He's got very high reviews. When I go to see him I plan on asking his 2 cents on the matter.

For skeptics reading this, my main strategy of dealing with my health issues is traditional western medicine. I've even been to a local mayo clinic a few times, the inside of that place is like a space station. The doors in the building are like those on the star ship enterprise. I've followed this route for over 15 years and I'm still ****ed. Take a guess how much money I've spent on that. What's that they say about trying the same thing and expecting different results? So I don't accept ball busting over trying something new.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Omi (10th June 2019), Wind (10th June 2019)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,590 times in 532 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    I've meant to bring this up for a while.

I've only somewhat recently become aware of chi gong and its health benefits. It reminded me of when I used to train (wing chun): we had an exercise called chi sao. It is an exercise to develop sensitivity in ones arms as well as a few other things more so combat related. You start out with one hand (don chi sao) then advance to using both hands (shaun chi sao).

When I was training I had these embarrassing cluster of warts on the joint of my thumb. I had them treated by a dermatologist but they came back. I tried the home treatment as well (more or less same as dermatologist method, freezing) but they'd come back. It was gross.

As soon as I began training shaun chi sao the warts went away, all of them, instantly. Like flicking a switch. They never came back till about 10 years later but not as bad, and the home freeze treatment got rid of them this time.

So here's my question: did the chi sao exercises have some random healing effect the same way chi gong does? I'd like to learn more about this if someone can point me in a direction.

I'm skeptical of this, I do believe in coincidences, but my mind is open.
    Chi is Chi, no matter what you do. !
    One source, many modalities to use it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Olam For This Post:

greybeard (10th June 2019)

+ Reply to Thread