+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Glyphosate remediation

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,262 times in 5,712 posts

Default Glyphosate remediation

I am late to the issue of glyphosate. I have been pretty much oblivious because I try to eat organic, local food. It was not on my radar. Also, I do have some woowoo ideas about my personal health that seem to have been validated in experience.

However, I think in terms of Terrain. My terrain is my personal environment and the larger circles and fractals of my own sphere. Now I have been informed that glyphosate in EVERYWHERE in the food supply. That something is labeled organic makes little difference any more.

Quote Think you can avoid glyphosate by buying organic? Think again. A new investigation by Tropical Traditions reveals that many products in the organic grain market in the U.S. contain glyphosate residue at levels almost the same as conventional grains.

ALERT: Certified Organic Food Grown in U.S. Found Contaminated with Glyphosate Herbicide
    Brian Shilhavy
    Health Impact News Editor

With over 80% of the U.S. food supply now reportedly contaminated with the herbicide glyphosate, many people are turning to USDA certified organic products to avoid this toxic chemical. Current USDA NOP (National Organic Program) standards do not allow the use of the herbicide glyphosate on organic crops.

However, a new investigation by Tropical Traditions has revealed that the U.S. organic grain market is contaminated with glyphosate.

Tropical Traditions has sold organic grains for years. After reading new research about the issue of “crop desiccation” done by using glyphosate on wheat and other grains just prior to harvest, Tropical Traditions decided to first test some commercial wheat products with wheat grown in Montana, North Dakota, and Canada. They sent the commercial samples to a well-known and respected laboratory to test for glyphosate.

All tested positive for glyphosate residue. The range was from 0.07 mg/kg to 0.09 mg/kg. Keep in mind this is glyphosate found in non-GMO crops. For a GMO crop such as GMO soybeans, which are sprayed heavily with glyphosate, the range is typically between 3.3 and 5.7 mg/kg. (Source.)

Next, Tropical Traditions tested the USDA certified organic grains from suppliers they had been using, sourced mainly from western states such as Montana and Idaho. Sadly, the presence of glyphosate residue was found in organic wheat and other organic grains, including organic barley, oats, spelt, and einkorn. The range was from 0.03 to 0.06 mg/kg, just slightly lower than the conventional grains that were tested.

The only organic grains that tested clean were organic rye and organic millet. There was also one variety of organic wheat from small-scale farmers in Wisconsin that tested clean from glyphosate.http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/ale...ate-herbicide/
    Also, I am lately realizing that this is an issue that seems so dire, I cannot just ignore it.

This thread is asking... what do we DO to remediate the soil, the body?

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Baby Steps (20th May 2019), Bill Ryan (20th May 2019), Bubu (20th May 2019), Constance (20th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (22nd May 2019), Dennis Leahy (22nd May 2019), Justplain (21st May 2019), Nenuphar (27th July 2019), Olam (20th May 2019), Omi (20th May 2019), onevoice (8th June 2019), Pam (20th May 2019), ramus (20th May 2019), Sadieblue (21st May 2019), toppy (20th May 2019), Victoria (26th August 2021), Wansen (20th May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019), Wind (20th May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,263 times in 2,725 posts

Default Re: Glyphosate remediation

Are you having trouble with your health?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Delight (20th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (22nd May 2019), ramus (20th May 2019), toppy (20th May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 times in 532 posts

Here is a great video about recent developments as to remove glyphosate from the body by using Chlorine dioxide...

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Olam For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), CurEus (21st May 2019), Delight (20th May 2019), Denise/Dizi (22nd May 2019), Franny (20th May 2019), Ioneo (21st May 2019), Justplain (21st May 2019), ramus (20th May 2019), Tam (21st May 2019), toppy (20th May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    Are you having trouble with your health?
    Actually my health seems stable and strong. The reason?

The anecdotal evidence is that I live in a powerful natural "spot" and my philosophy has always been "the more germs the better". This is not to brag but I have always had a clairsentience about "health" which for me is a lot about the "metaphysical". I may be a witch (as they were called by the inquisition and all who sought to hunt down the heathens.The heathens and all the filtered down understanding of the biome was deliberately destroyed IMo but the knowledge is in the noosphere.)

The earth is ALIVE. All is sentient. We are in a community of conscious life in its expression. That is beautiful. the modern devolution is depressed.

The reason I have become alarmed about glyphosate is because I KNOW that the poison is killing the micro-organisms FIRST and that we are totally connected to the micro world in symbiosis. I have always KNOWN this to be true. In many ways my approach to health is that I LOVE my environment, all the many organisms with whom I share the body "format", the worms, the spiders in my house.... This is not forced and that is why I can say I am a witch. I have many "familiars".

I KNOW we are not stuck with the status quo. No matter what we "see", we can help it be well. I am not sure what steps to take regarding the tangle of glyphosate and the soil and the body. I IMAGINE we can be helped by bringing healthy soil to the sick soil. Perhaps even we can use our own microbiome that has been healed to heal others (fecal transplants based on sharing healthy micro-organisms with others)?

I am not advocating that idea but my understanding is the VALUE of sharing "germs" so the immune system will deal with their effects and germs are only one part of the spectrum we can share. MMS may deal with the pathologic imbalance that happens when glyphosate (for one) kills all the beneficial micro-organisms we symbiotically live with.

This video is so good that I will repost it

IMO and I am NOT alone, it is impossible to approach the restoration without a new paradigm. You cannot change the issues at hand with the same kind of thinking and belief. That I KNOW.

The place I live has never been assaulted by glyphosate or other industrial chemicals. The soil is very fertile. The two acres I live on are adjacent to forest. The traffic nearby has been light. The man who lived here before me plowed with a mule and the house was built in 1908.

This means that I am living more in nature than most and with fewer challenges to my surroundings.
    Last edited by Delight; 20th May 2019 at 22:27.

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Blacklight43 (21st May 2019), Constance (21st May 2019), Denise/Dizi (22nd May 2019), Dennis Leahy (22nd May 2019), Franny (20th May 2019), Olam (20th May 2019), onevoice (8th June 2019), syrwong (27th July 2019), toppy (21st May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (22nd May 2019), Olam (20th May 2019), toppy (21st May 2019), Victoria (26th August 2021)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Don Huber - Glyphosate - Dangers and Soil Remediation
    Global Earth Repair
    Published on May 9, 2019
    Don Huber goes through all the dangers of this defoliant and toxin, why it is so deadly, and how to remove it from bodies and from soil.

Quote Lawful RebelGlyphosate Destroys health - with Dr Stephanie Seneff of MIT
    Published on Mar 24, 2019
    Stephanie Seneff gives a clear and comprehensive presentation of the facts about glyphosate. It is not safe in terms of its overall impact on human health and wellbeing.

What is glyphosate?
    How does it kill things?
    Why is it harmful to Humans?
    Is it really in all food?
    How can we destroy it?
    How can we detoxify from contamination?

These are some of the questions addressed in this show as well as practical ways in which we can minimise our exposure to this substance.

Stephanie Seneff can be contacted at her page at MIT here https://people.csail.mit.edu/seneff/ and here https://www.csail.mit.edu/person/step...
    Last edited by Delight; 20th May 2019 at 23:31.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Denise/Dizi (22nd May 2019), Franny (21st May 2019), Olam (20th May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), Victoria (26th August 2021), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote http://farmingsweetbay.wordpress.com...ur-farms-soil/
    Our Remediation Plan
    Glyphosate remediation was a big conversation topic at the Acres USA conference. By the end of the conference, the consensus landed on a “silver buckshot” approach. The approach was to do everything possible to (1) rejuvenate the beneficial soil organisms that will eventually degrade glyphosate and (2) add soil amendments that can help with detoxification. We were happy to learn that we’re already doing most of them! Here’s our plan:
    1. Inoculate seeds with beneficial microbes such as mycorrhyzae, nitrogen-fixing bacteria for legumes, etc.
    2. Spray microbe inoculants on the fields, especially inoculants that contain pseudomona bacteria. Pseudomona are easily wiped out by glyphosate, and some species are known to be detoxifiers.
    3. Include a microbe stimulant, such as molasses or sugar, in the spray mix. This gives the microbes an extra leg up.
    4. Bring back tillage. No-till farming, especially when combined with GMO crops, glyphosate, and few to no winter cover crops, tends to shut down the soil biology. Open the soils up to counteract this effect and to wake up the microbes.
    5. Amend the soil with humates. Humates are ancient organic matter that has decomposed as far as possible. It’s soft coal, known as leonardite or lignite in the drilling professions. Each microscopic humic acid molecule contains dozens of functional molecular groups and around 100 negatively charged sites that can bind with agricultural chemicals. Humates also add black organic matter (humus) to the soil and provide a nice home for microbes.

I’ve posted about our practices of inoculating seeds, rotovating (tillage) and spraying a microbe inoculant with molasses, so we’ll keep doing this. Adding humates to the soil has now moved up in priority. We found a humate supplier at the conference, so I’ll be posting about that in the near future.

Un-Earthed: Is Monsanto’s Glyphosate Destroying The Soil? (via http://www.occupymonsanto360.org)
    Quote Bio char Journal
    Terra Preta – model of a cultural technique
    by Hans-Peter Schmidt

The secret of Terra Preta lies not solely in its use of biochar, but rather in a societal system that has internalized the importance of closed nutrient cycles in nature. Only by means of conscious recycling of all accumulating waste matter could the otherwise nutrient poor tropical soils allow for population densities which exceed present-day Bangladesh, the Netherlands or Japan.

Lessons from historical Agriculture
    For decades anthropologists considered it a foregone conclusion that the Amazonian rain-forest could not possibly have allowed the emergence of a higher civilization, because significant civil and cultural achievements would have required the existence of large cities. Large cities in the Amazon have, however, been unthinkable, because the humus layer of rain-forest soils is too sparse to guarantee the food supply of hundreds of thousands people.

This explanation seemed so obvious that no one was seriously putting it into question and the reports of the Spanish conquistadors Francesco de Orellana picturing flourishing cities on ‘the great river’ were written off as mere legends. In the 1960s, however, unambiguous remnants of great indigenous civilizations were discovered at the confluence of the Amazon, Rio Negro and Madeira rivers. Still sceptical, scientists went out to conduct once again soil inspections and to find explanations as to how it could have been possible for the large populations of these cities to feed themselves. It was then that the researchers finally discovered what came to be called “Terra Preta” – the black earth of the Amazonian rain-forest, once created by these bygone civilizations.

Clearly visible Terra Preta site in the Amazon rain-forest. Even in this aerial photograph the difference in soil fertility of the Terra Preta site is visible, although this area has been turned into de-forested pasture land from what was once woodland gardens. (Photo: Bruno Glaser)

Microscopically, spectrally, chemically and physically the scientists examined the earthen back in their quest to uncover its secrets. Pottery, bones, traces of chicken manure, traces of human faeces, charcoal, ash and fish bones were among the substances discovered in the soil – a variety of organic waste which gradually made up the soil’s mighty humus layer. The theory quickly emerged that the secret component allowing for these incredibly fertile soils was the biochar. Word of this supposed miracle substance quickly spread, and in many places in the world charcoal, and soon thereafter biochar, came to be used on agricultural soils. Subsequently, in light of the very modest results in European fields, it took quite a dash of idealism not to lose heart in biochar’s potential as a panacea to the world’s problems. Fortunately there was no shortage of idealism, because the fact is that biochar is an extremely valuable agronomic tool – once you understand that it is not a fertilizer, but rather a very effective carrier for plant nutrients and provides an excellent habitat for microorganisms.

Biochar as a Carrier of Nutrients and a Habitat for Microorganisms
    In order to quickly and effectively bring forth biochars soil-enhancing properties, the biochar must first be loaded with nutrients and become organically activated. Besides mixing the biochar with compost, there are numerous other methods for the activation of biochar, the production of organic fertilizers and Terra Preta like substrates.

Biochar is an extremely porous substance with a highly specific surface that has a surface area of up to 300 m2 per gram. Due to the high porosity of biochar, it is capable of soaking up to five times its own weight in water as well as adsorbing large amounts of the therein dissolved nutrients. This property is called the adsorption capacity (AC) of biochar.

Another important property of biochar, which goes to explain its particular nutrient dynamics, is its high cation exchange capacity (CEC). The CEC of biochar is a measure of its ability to bind positively charged ions such as ammonia and ammonium, to its surface, and to make those substances available again to plants and microorganisms under particular circumstances. A high CEC prevents the leaching of positively charged mineral and organic nutrients and, overall, provides a higher total nutrient availability.

Beautifully visible pore structure of biochar which binds water and nutrients and offers a habitat for microorganisms. (Photo: C. Holweg and U. Pieles)

The high CEC and AC values of biochar make it perfectly suitable as a carrier of nutrients. The nutrients absorbed by the biochar offer microorganisms a perfectly suitable habitat, which in turn stimulates the overall micro-biotic activity in the soil, ultimately positively impacting the potential symbiosis between micro-organisms and plants.

Terra Preta – a highly sophisticated Nutrient Cycle
    It took several decades to recognize that biochar was only one component of a complex agricultural system. To understand this complex system, a deeper insight into the anthropology of Central and South America is required.

As the American Continent was being settled by humans at the end of the last ice age 13,000 years ago, mammoths, oxen, elephants, rhinos, horses and other big game were present. These animals, however, were not used to the presence of foraging people as they were in Europe, Asia and Africa. Each species of big game inhabited an isolated ecological niche, where no species threatened the existence of any other species. Only when man populated the new continent with his new hunting methods and sophisticated weapons, were these ecological niches destroyed and each major animal species, which could have later been used for animal husbandry, became extinct. (See Jared Diamond’s highly recommended book:Guns, Germs, and Steel)

For the later inhabitants of the Americas, like the Aztecs, Mayas, Incas, or Anasazi, the extinction of big game meant that they not only lacked the option to breed any livestock, but also that they could use no animals for agricultural work. The latter was also the reason why neither the wheel nor the plow found widespread application in these lands. These civilizations had to rely on native wild fruits, small animals and fish or horticulture in the woodland gardens to cover their food demand.

Forests are among the most productive agricultural systems (Photo: www.motherearthnews.com)

Instead of burning down forests and replacing them with vast agricultural lands, as is common practice in these regions in modern times, the Indians of the Amazon region took advantage of their forests by practicing horticulture in woodland gardens, which they plotted between fruit-bearing trees. The wood of the forest was used as a construction material, firewood and charcoal production. It was this latter use that made these woodland gardens so very fertile over hundreds of years. The Indian practice of mixing charcoal into the human and animal sewage and waste before dumping it on the fields of the woodland gardens, gradually improved soil fertility. This practice allowed a continual rise in yields, which over time allowed the planting of ever higher yielding crops.

Anthropologists have in recent years provably demonstrated very high population densities for the above-mentioned high cultures of the Americas. These masses of people could be fed only by very intensive land usage. The highest yield per unit area could be achieved through vertically planted mixed crop cultures and woodland gardens. This type of farming was very labour intensive. But labour forces, however, were readily available in the densely populated cities of these bygone civilizations.

Surrounding acreages were intensively used and it can now be assumed that one-hectare of woodland gardens on the Amazon could feed about 15 to 20 people. To achieve these high yields per unit area a sophisticated system of complementary mixed crop culture and, above all, an intelligent closed nutrient cycle had to be worked out. Only when the nutrients, which were taken out of the ground through intensive cultivation, were also continuously being returned to the soil could sustainable long-term cultivation with steady yields be achieved. In the case of Amazonian soils, it is critical that the nutrients are added in a fashion in which they will not be washed out by the tropical rains.

All these elements – vertical and horizontal mixed crop cultivation, systematically organized labour, closed nutrient cycles and humus formation – were inextricably linked factors, allowing the maintenance of a stable supply of food and resources, laying the foundation for the stability of these giant garden cities. Since there was no livestock manure to be used as fertilizer, it was the digestive tracts of the population at large which had to be utilized for the production of the necessary organic fertilizer in the form of sanitized faeces.

To avoid the risk of the spread of infectious diseases from the daily processing of sewage into fertilizer, it seems that charcoal played a crucial part. Regularly sprinkling lavatories with charcoal not only diminished odour, but also drastically reduced the spread of germs. Furthermore, it is possible that the toilets were additionally sanitized with lactic acid enzymes. One can certainly assume that hygienic care was the primary reason for the use of charcoal. That this usage also had a significant effect on nutrient efficiency and the build up of humus in the soils was possibly not even known at the time. Nonetheless, the charcoal was an inseparable part of a functioning nutrient cycle system.

The closed nutrient cycle system of Terra Preta was based on the following two foundations: firstly, the fertility of the soil could be sustained only if the food scraps and other organic waste as well as the residual matter from the digestion processes being returned to the soils in an appropriate fashion; and secondly, the vertical structure of the species-rich woodland gardens maintained its humus formation potential as well as its crucial role in erosion mitigation over time.

Can the Terra Preta technique be applied to Central European Forestry?
    To practice sustainable forestry, it is natural that a balanced flow of nutrients must be maintained. If only the debarked logs of trees are being removed from a mixed forest, while its crowns, young twigs, and bark left behind, nutrient deprivation of the forest will be minimal so that a rebalancing of the nutrients in the forest would only have to occur once every few hundred years. If, however, entire trees are being removed from the forest, with even the nutrient-rich young timber being utilized for industrial use, and in addition to that you are not dealing with a humus-building mixed forest, but a monocultural coniferous forest, then even the most selective logging will impact the forest’s nutrient and humus balance. In this case, at the very least a nutrient equilibrium would have to be carried out, for example by repatriating adequate amounts of wood ashes, every 40 to 80 years. Most importantly, forests would have to be appropriately mixed with deciduous trees in order to protect the forest humus.

As long as the European mixed forest remains and as long as no whole-tree harvesting is being carried out and no heavy soil-compacting machineries are being used, the mixed forest ecosystem can be viewed as extremely stable. The use of soil improvement techniques, such as fertilization, use of biochar, biochar compost (Terra Preta like substances), would neither be ecologically nor economically sensible for Central European forestry. Although the biochar would improve water retention capacity, and depending on the soil type also facilitate the build-up of humus, the use of biochar would be an unnecessary encroachment on a stable ecosystem.

Mixed forests are the most stable natural ecosystems of Central Europe. Promoting tree diversity, abstaining from whole-tree harvesting as well as heavy-duty whole tree harvesting machinery are necessary elements for the maintenance of these natural ecosystems. Agricultural mixed use of these forests would in the best case scenario occur in the form of continuously shifting clearance logging.

If, however, the objective is not a sustainable use of forest ecosystems, but rather the most efficient production of biomass as is the case of short-rotation plantations or agricultural forestry systems, then the heavy shift in the nutrient balance and the possibility of mechanical surface machining, would make the Terra Preta technologies once again very interesting. The more resources are removed from a soil or ecosystem, the more important it is to renew these resources sustainably and to close the nutrient cycles.

Carbon and nitrogen, which are continuously being fixed from the atmosphere by the agricultural ecosystem can, by means of removal of biomass from local systems, be channelled to other nutrient and energy cycles. All other non-naturally-replenishing nutrients must, however, be returned appropriately. To this end, the Terra Preta system offers a very promising solution, as nutrients are not being returned solely in the mineral or synthetic form, which results in significant run-off and environmental pollution, but in an organically bound form, allowing for nutrient cycles to be closed.

Interconnectedness of Forestry and Agriculture
    Comparing today’s agriculture to the bygone Terra Preta agriculture of the Amazon, the most striking fact we are faced with is that present acreage yields are at least four times lower than they were in the rain forest. The second striking fact is that despite several tens of thousands of actively working university-trained agronomists, we are currently engaging in soil degradation rather than soil improvement and nutrient balances are being maintained only in appearance. Finally, we must not forget that today, for the production of 1 calorie of food more than 15 calories of energy must be spent, whereas in woodland gardens a net positive cost-benefit energy ratio is realized.

For many centuries ‘clearance cultivation’ (Lichtungsfeldbau) has been practiced in Central Europe. In modern agriculture, clearance cultivation would also present a very efficient usage of ecosystems. In addition, this form of clearance cultivation would be aesthetically more pleasing than the current monotony of rigid straight-lined agricultural forestry systems.

One of the main features and also a fundamental element of the Terra Preta system’s recipe for success is its close interconnectedness of agriculture and forestry. In the Terra Preta system as well as modern agricultural forestry systems, agricultural management units are not measured in units of land, but rather in terms of volume, where the vertical levels are as important as the horizontal zoning. The different levels – the root layer, herbaceous layer, shrub layer and lastly the tree layer – are coordinated in such a fashion that the yields can be optimized in long-term cycles.

In the history of Central European land usage, agricultural and forest lands were also not regarded as separate economic domains, but rather as highly inter-linked entities. Due to the use of draft animals and extensive animal husbandry and hunting practices, however, no woodland gardens similar to the ones in South America emerged because cattle were already extinct. Instead, a variety of mixed systems such as clearance cultivation, pasture woodlands, standard fruit tree meadows, low-woods, middle-woods and forest-acre rotations, in which the various elements such as agriculture, pastures and fruit, raw material and nutrient acquisitions were coordinated efficiently with one another.

The pasture woodland is a stable system of agriculture in which livestock and forestry complement each other very efficiently and provides high biodiversity.
    In order to strengthen and maintain the efficiency of agricultural systems, these traditional Central European agricultural forestry systems should once again move more prominently into focus. This would, for example through active clearance cultivation, create microclimates, which would in the face of climate change, significantly increase the adaptability of agricultural systems. It would be equally important to take long-term cycles into consideration, so that trees can be incorporated in the crop rotation cycles.

The planting of tree-rows, forest islands or seam zones around clearing fields improves not only the microclimate of the fields, but also reduces wind speeds by 15 – 20%, prevents erosion, reduces evaporation rates, reduces the risk of frost, increases humus formation and improves overall economic viability.

Impetus from the History of Agriculture
    While peoples of nearly all epochs of history believed that the golden age lay behind them and that their forefathers knew better how to tame the natural and spiritual resources at their disposal to ease the hardships of everyday life, this belief was starkly reversed at the dawn of the industrial revolution of the late 18th and early 19th century. From then on, the ideology of progress took a hold of society, where the locus of all wisdom and all knowledge was placed in the future and the past was dismissed as a mere step on the ladder towards knowledge and development.

The past was, abruptly, worth only a contemplative glance and history became the subject of a pleasant, but ultimately useless spiritual pursuits, leading to the fatal arrogance, which denied the knowledge and wisdom of our forefathers and bygone peoples and civilizations any bearing on our present.

The discovery of the Terra Preta soils in the Amazon and the rediscovery of clearance cultivation in Central Europe are two of the few examples where it can be said that archaeology and anthropology stumbled upon ancient techniques which could lead to a major impetus to the solution of major problems in modern times.

At a time when agricultural soils are being degraded, if not completely destroyed, by herbicides, pesticides, eutrophication and erosion, the pressure for food stability for an increasingly overpopulated planet is being continually used as the very excuse to continue with current agricultural practices instead of shifting to more sustainable farming practices. Measures are called for which can lead to the development of intelligent strategies that can raise agricultural productivity, while at the same time protect the climate and preserve nature. The interlinkage of forestry and agriculture, as well as the closing of nutrient cycles, as it was practiced on the Amazon as well as the Elbe rivers over a period of many centuries, could become the basis of a modern strategy for an efficient and sustainable use of natural resources, paving the way to a sustainable bio-economy.

Translated by Thomas Rippel
    Last edited by Delight; 20th May 2019 at 22:55.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Constance (21st May 2019), happyuk (9th June 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), Victoria (26th August 2021), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Biochar Is OBVIOUSLY not Terra Preta but is an ingredient. Maybe biochar manufacture and soil amendment can help remove plastic from the environment, produce some oil products and help restore the soil?

"Carbon Black"is the residue form the process where oil is synthesized from plastic.

Slow pyrolysis in Brista

Quote AN EVALUATION OF HEAT AND BIOCHAR PRODUCTION IN
    SWEDEN
    ERIK JONSSON

Biogreen
    A part of the ETIA group a French engineering company specialized in manufacturing thermal
    treatment methods. The pyrolysis unit can handle plastics, biomass, sewage sludge and other waste
    materials. The feedstock has a particle size under 20 mm and keep the moisture levels below 8% to
    produce bio-oil of high quality. The process is producing char, oil and gas.
    How Biochar Helps the Soil

Quote Effects of poultry litter biochar on soil enzyme activities and tomato, pepper and lettuce plants growth
    July 2015

Biochar application to soils is being considered as a means to sequester carbon (C) while concurrently improving soil functions. A greenhouse experiment was carried out to determine the effects of biochar from the pyrolysis poultry litter (PL) on the soil enzyme activities, organic matter content and growth of tomato, pepper and lettuce plants. In the experiment, the combination of 15.15.15 composite fertilizer with 0, 200, 400 and 600kg/da doses of PL biochar were applied into the clay loam soil. Compared to the control and chemical fertilizer alone, the soil organic matter was significantly increased after biochar amendments. β-glucosidase, alkaline phosphatase, urease and arylsulphatase enzyme activities in soils were increased by the biochar applications significantly (P<0.05). Plant fresh and dry weight of tomato, pepper and lettuce plants were higher in 4kg/ha PL biochar treatment than in the other treatments. The results showed that PL biochar amendment to soils in the agricultural use increased yield of plants and enzyme activities with increasing soil organic matter content as well as improving soil properties.
    I am not in a position to judge the true merits of black carbon/ biochar in soil remdiation but we need research and that is IMO the JOB now.....restoration!

If we are not having global warming, I don't know if this following is an issue? I think we need to study the issues and possible remedies as if our life depends on it.

Quote Beware the Biochar Initiative
    Dr Mae-Wan Ho
    November 18, 2010

Turning bioenergy crops into buried charcoal to sequester carbon does not work, and could plunge the earth into an oxygen crisis towards mass extinction
    by Dr. Mae-Wan Ho

The story goes that charcoal buried in the soil is stable for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years and increases crop yields. The proposal to grow crops on hundreds of millions of hectares to be turned into buried ‘biochar’ is therefore widely seen as a “carbon negative” initiative that could save the climate and boost food production.

That story is fast unravelling. Biochar is not what it is hyped up to be, and implementing the biochar initiative could be dangerous, basically because saving the climate turns out to be not just about curbing the rise of CO2 in the atmosphere that can be achieved by burying carbon in the soil, it is also about keeping oxygen (O2) levels up. Keeping O2 levels up is what only green plants on land and phytoplankton at sea can do, by splitting water to regenerate O2 while fixing CO2 to feed the rest of the biosphere [1] (Living with Oxygen, SiS 43).

Climate scientists have only discovered within the past decade that O2 is depleting faster than the rise in CO2, both on land and in the sea [2, 3] (O2 Dropping Faster than CO2 Rising, and Warming Oceans Starved of Oxygen, SiS 44). Furthermore, the acceleration of deforestation spurred by the biofuels boom since 2003 appears to coincide with a substantial steepening of the O2 decline. Turning trees into charcoal in a hurry could be the surest way to precipitate an oxygen crisis from which we may never recover.

Burying charcoal to save the climate

The International Biochar Initiative (IBI), according to its website [4], was formed in July 2006 at a side meeting of the World Soil Science Congress at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the United States, by people from academic institutions, commercial ventures, investment banks, non-government organizations and federal agencies around the world, dedicated to research, development, demonstration, deployment, and commercialisation of biochar on a global scale.

IBI has introduced biochar into the 2008 US Farm Bill, so it now counts among a handful of “new, high-priority research and extension areas”. IBI is also working with the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification to promote biochar in the post-Kyoto climate agreement. And the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change has already included biochar in a section entitled: “Enhanced Action on Mitigation” to serve as basis for negotiations during pre-Copenhagen meetings [5].

Biochar is just charcoal, produced by burning organic matter such as wood, grasses, crop residues and manure, under conditions of low oxygen (pyrolysis). A number of different pyrolysis techniques exist depending on temperature, speed of heating, and oxygen delivery [6, 7], resulting in different yields of biochar and co-products, “bio-oil” (with energy content value approx 55 percent that of diesel fuel by volume) and “syn-gas” (a mixture of hydrogen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and hydrocarbons), which can be used to generate electricity, or as low-grade fuel for ships, boilers, aluminium smelter and cooking stoves.

IBI has encountered strong criticism as a “new threat to people, land and ecosystem” in a declaration signed by more than 155 non-profit organisations worldwide [8]. But patent applications have been made, and companies formed for commercial exploitation of biochar production. Intense lobbying is taking place for biochar to be included in the Kyoto Protocol’s Clean Development Mechanism for mitigating climate change [9, 10], so people implementing that technology would be able to sell certified emission reduction (CER) credits.

Things have moved forward so fast with so little public awareness and debate that critics are alarmed, especially over the proposal from some prominent advocates that 500 million hectares or more of ‘spare land’ could be used to grow crops for producing biochar [11, 12], mostly to be found in developing countries; the same as was proposed in the biofuels initiative several years earlier.

Biofuels proving disastrous

The biofuels ‘boom’ has already exacerbated climate change by speeding up deforestation and peatland destruction, loss of habitats and biodiversity, depletion of water and soil, and increased the use of agro-chemicals. Above all, it has generated poverty, land grab, land conflicts, human rights abuses, labour abuses, starvation and food insecurity as documented by BiofuelsWatch and 10 other groups [13, 14] (see also [15] (Biofuels: Biodevastation, Hunger & False Carbon Credits, SiS 33). Calls for moratorium on biofuels came from Africa, the US, and the United Nations [16] (UN ‘Right to Food’ Rapporteur Urges 5 Year Moratorium on Biofuels, SiS 36).

Biofuel production – mainly bioethanol and biodiesel – more than doubled between 2003 and 2008, driven by rising oil prices; while food prices rose 70 percent between 2005 and 2008 [17], according to data compiled by the international Monetary Fund. The UN declared 2008 the year of the Global Food Crisis (see [18] Food Without Fossil Fuels Now, SiS 39); food riots and fuel protests were rife. UK’s Environment Audit Committee joined the call for moratorium in January 2008 [19], and reiterated it in May 2008 [20].

Biochar is widely seen as the successor to biofuels on grounds that it will sequester carbon and improve soil fertility while also producing energy. Biochar is not just carbon neutral; it is “carbon negative”, according to its proponents, because buried biochar is stable for thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years.

A lifecycle analysis published in 2008 [21] by John Gaunt and Johannes Lehmann, principal biochar proponent at Cornell University, New York, in the United States, considered both purpose grown bioenergy crops (BEC) and crop wastes (CW) as feedstock. The BEC scenario involves a change from growing winter wheat to miscanthus, switchgrass, and corn as bioenergy crops. The CW scenario considers both corn stover and winter wheat straw as feedstock. The energy balance is much more favourable than the production of biofuels such as ethanol from corn. The avoided emissions are between 2 and 5 times greater when biochar is applied to agricultural land than used solely for energy in fossil energy offsets. Some 41–64 percent of emission reductions are related to the retention of C in buried biochar (so the stability of biochar is important), the rest due to offsetting fossil fuel use for energy, fertilizer savings, and avoided soil emissions of N2O and CH4, as additional effects of biochar. Unfortunately, the analysis is largely based on assumptions. Biochar is now found to be not quite as stable as claimed and can speed up litter decomposition in the soil (see below). The energy balance of pyrolysis is taken as that reported by one company; and there is lack of conclusive evidence in support of the supposed significant N2O reduction for at least ten years [6, 11].

Biochar is not ‘terra preta’

The biochar initiative was inspired by the discovery of ‘terra preta’ (black earth) in the Amazon basin [22, 23], at sites of pre-Columbian settlements (between 450BC and 950AD), made by adding charcoal, bone, and manure to the soil over many, many years (see Fig. 1). Besides charcoal, it contains abundant pottery shards, plant residues, animal faeces, fish and animal bones. The soil’s depth can reach 2 metres, and is reported capable of regenerating itself at the rate of about 1 cm a year. Similar sites are found in Benin and Liberia in West Africa, in the South African savannahs, and even in Roman Britain. According to local farmers in the Amazon, productivity on the terra preta is much higher than surrounding soils.

Investigations in the laboratory revealed that terra preta soils are rich in nutrients such as nitrogen, phosphorus, calcium, zinc, and manganese, and have high levels of microbial activities. Terra preta contains up to 70 times more black carbon (BC) than the surrounding soils. Due to its polycyclic aromatic structure, black carbon is believed to be chemically and microbiologically inert (but see later) and persists in the soil for centuries, if not thousands of years. During this time, oxidation produces carboxylic groups increasing its nutrient-holding capacity. Bruno Glaser and colleagues at the University of Bayreuth concluded that [24] “black carbon can act as a significant carbon sink and is a key factor for sustainable and fertile soils, especially in the humid tropics.”

Similarly, BC derived from terra preta sites in central Amazon differing in age from 600 to 8 700 years were chemically, biologically and spectroscopically indistinguishable, as consistent with their “extremely slow” rate of decomposition [25].

However, BC collected from 11 historical charcoal blast furnace sites from Quebec Canada to Georgia USA, were quite different from BC newly produced using rebuilt historical kilns [26]. The historical BC samples were substantially oxidized after 130 years in soils compared to the new BC, or new BC incubated for one year at 30 C or 70 C. The major alterations were an increase in oxygen from 7.2 percent in new BC to 24.8 percent in historical BC; a decrease in carbon from 90.8 percent to 70.5 percent; formation of oxygen-containing function groups, particularly carboxylic acid and phenolic functional groups; and disappearance of surface positive charge, to be replaced entirely by negative charges. New BC incubated at 30 C or 70 C for 12 months increased in oxygen concentrations to 9.2 and 10.6 percent respectively; and also had complete replacement of surface positive charges by negative charges.

These findings show that BC is a substantial oxygen sink, and could deplete atmospheric O2 fairly rapidly if massive amounts are produced in a hurry!

The main factor accounting for the changes was mean annual temperature, which was highly correlated with degree of oxidation. BC oxidation was increased by 87 nmoles/kg C / degree Celsius increase in mean annual temperature. BC oxidation to carboxylic groups accounts for the high cation exchange capacity of natural BC in the soil that the authors suggest is the basis of the enhancement in soil fertility.

So charcoal is not the same as terra preta that has been created over thousands of years by human intervention and natural geochemistry. The claim that biochar is a “stable carbon pool” in the soil that does not degrade for thousands of years is not borne out by the study, nor by a number of other studies (see below).

Naturally occurring black carbon has a far more complex relationship with the soil and the earth as a whole, as recent research is revealing. Moreover, black carbon pollution from fossil fuel and biomass burning associated with deforestation contribute as much to global warming as CO2, and climate scientist are proposing a reduction of black carbon emissions as a way of cooling the planet [27] (see Black Carbon Warms the Planet Second Only to CO2, SiS 44). That’s another reason the biochar initiative will spoil the climate, by increasing BC emissions.

Biochar increases loss of organic carbon from humus

A ten-year trial in Swedish forests showed that buried charcoal appear to promote the breakdown of humus, the decomposing plant matter on the forest floor [28], thus completely offsetting the carbon sequestered in the charcoal.

David Wardle and colleagues at Umeå University started their experiment to investigate the effect of forest fires on soil ecology. They buried hundreds of litter bags containing humus, charcoal, or a 50–50 mixture of the two in several sites in the Swedish boreal forest.

Periodically, they weighed the bags and measured the concentration of carbon and nitrogen. After just one year, they began to see an unexpectedly large decrease in mass from the bags containing the humus–charcoal mixture: 17 percent (the expected was 9 percent), compared to 18 percent in the bags with only humus and 2.5 percent in the bags with only charcoal Over ten years, the bags with mixed humus and charcoal released just as much carbon as did those containing only humus (130 mg per g initial mass), instead of only half as much as would be expected if charcoal had no effect on the loss of carbon from humus. The bags with charcoal had lost a small amount of its carbon (less than 5 mg per g initial mass) but gained about the same in nitrogen and microbial activity. The mixture did not gain or lose any nitrogen while humus released 2 mg N per g initial mass.

The results show that burying charcoal can speed up the decomposition of forest humus during the first decade, thus offsetting nearly all of the carbon sequestered in the charcoal itself.

Biochar may not be a stable carbon poolread more here
    Quote BioChar and Vinegar Degrade Glyphosate
    Posted on September 21, 2017 by Bradford S. Weeks, MD

Dr. Weeks’ Comment: Biochar (charcoal created by burning plant material in a oxygen depleted area (under ground) and vinegar can degrade the highly toxic glyphosate. Biochar is a carbon rich substrate and vinegar (acetic acid) is a powerful acid. Safalab offers that same benefit in The Molecule which people who are exposed to glyphosate-drenched food rely upon.

The effects of biochar, wood vinegar and plants on glyphosate leaching and degradation
    Author links open overlay panel MarleenaHagneraOlli-PekkaPenttinenaKariTiilikkalabHeikkiSetäläa
    https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejsobi.2013.05.002

Leaching of glyphosate is enhanced in the presence of plants.

Biochar decreases glyphosate leaching from the soil.

Biochar decreases the loss of total nitrogen from the soil.

Abstract
    Although glyphosate is a commonly used herbicide, its impacts on ecosystems are not well understood. A pot experiment, was established to explore the potential impacts of biochar, wood vinegar, and plants on the environmental fate of glyphosate. In the presence of plants (Lolium perenne), and irrespective of the presence of biochar or wood vinegar, leaching of glyphosate through the soil was multiple compared to the plant free systems. However, the addition of biochar to the soil decreased the leaching of glyphosate irrespective of plants. Soils treated with biochar-wood vinegar mixture showed the lowest glyphosate leaching, both with and without plants. Biochar, wood vinegar or plants, alone, had no effect on the degradation of glyphosate in soil. When the plants were present the degradation of glyphosate was highest in soils treated with biochar-wood vinegar mixture. Our results imply that biochar in particular can be applied as a soil improving agent to reduce the potential environmental risks to aquatic environments caused by glyphosate
    Last edited by Delight; 21st May 2019 at 00:13.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Constance (21st May 2019), norman (21st May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Another biochar article and one on replenishing Round Up affected soil

Quote Basic Concepts | Projects | Work by others | Pictures | References

Biochar - The new frontier
    Inspired by the intriguing properties of ancient Terra Preta de Indio, biochar‡ was identified as a soil amendment that has the potential to change concepts of soil management. While "discovered" may not be the right word, as biochar has been used in traditional agricultural practices as well as in modern horticulture, never before has evidence been accumulating that demonstrates so convincingly that biochar has very specific and unique properties that make it stand out among organic soil amendments.

The soil fertility benefits of biochar rest on two pillars:

The extremely high affinity of nutrients to biochar and other compounds (adsorption)
    The extremely high persistence of biochar (stability)

Beneficial effects of biochar on both soil microbial functions and soil water availability are highly likely but not yet sufficiently quantified to be effectively managed. Biochars are able to correct undesirable pH similar to lime and can therefore be of value to improve acid soils.

These two properties (adsorption and stability) can be used effectively to address some of the most urgent environmental problems of our time:
    Soil degradation
    Water pollution by agro-chemicals
    Climate change

Biochar is not a silver bullet that will solve environmental problems without a much wider and far reaching strategy. But it can provide an important tool to addressing a wide range of the major challenges: soil degradationand food insecurity, climate change, sustainable energy generation and waste management (Figure 1).

Figure 1: Biochar system components (Lehmann and Joseph, 2009).

Reading:
    Lehmann J 2007 Bio-energy in the black. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5, 381-387.
    Lehmann J and Joseph S 2009 Biochar for Environmental Management: Science and Technology. Earthscan, London.

The two pillars of biochar properties

Nutrient Affinity
    All organic matter added to soil significantly improves various soil functions, not the least the retention of several nutrients that are essential to plant growth. What is special about biochar is that it is much more effective in retaining most nutrients and keeping them available to plants than other organic matter such as for example leaf litter, compost or manures. Interestingly, this is also true for phosphorus which is not at all retained by 'normal' soil organic matter (Lehmann, 2007).

Reading:
    Lehmann J 2007 Bio-energy in the black. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5, 381-387.
    Lehmann, J., da Silva Jr., J.P., Steiner, C., Nehls, T., Zech, W. and Glaser, B.: 2003a, ‘Nutrient availability and leaching in an archaeological Anthrosol and a Ferralsol of the Central Amazon basin: fertilizer, manure and charcoal amendments', Plant and Soil 249 , 343-357.
    Liang, B. , Lehmann, J., Solomon, D., Kinyangi, J., Grossman, J., O'Neill, B., Skjemstad, J.O., Thies, J., Luizão, F.J., Petersen, J. and Neves, E.G.: 2006, 'Black carbon increases cation exchange capacity in soils', Soil Science Society of America Journal 70: 1719-1730.
    Mikan, C.J. and Abrams, M.D.: 1995, 'Altered forest composition and soil properties of historic charcoal hearths in southeastern Pennsylvania', Canadian Journal of Forestry Research 25, 687-696.
    Sombroek, W., Nachtergaele, F.O. and Hebel, A.: 1993, ‘Amounts, dynamics and sequestering of carbon in tropical and subtropical soils', Ambio 22, 417-426.

Persistence
    It is undisputed that biochar is much more persistent in soil than any other form of organic matter that is commonly applied to soil. Therefore, associated benefits with respect to nutrient retention and soil fertility are longer lasting than with alternative management. The long persistence of biochar in soil also makes it a prime candidate for the mitigation of climate change as a potential sink for atmospheric carbon dioxide. The success of effective reduction of greenhouse gases depends on the associated net emission reductions through biochar sequestration. A net emission reduction can only be achieved in conjunction with sustainable management of biomass production. During the conversion of biomass to biochar about 50% of the original carbon is retained in the biochar, which offers a significant opportunity for creating such a carbon sink (Lehmann, 2007). This promises biochar to become an appropriate tool to contribute a significant wedge in a wider strategy for the mitigation of the anthropogenic greenhouse effect.

Reading:
    Baldock JA and Smernik RJ. 2002, 'Chemical composition and bioavailability of thermally altered Pinus resinosa (Red pine) wood', Organic Geochemistry 33: 1093-109.
    Cheng CH, Lehmann J, Thies JE and Burton S 2008 Stability of black carbon in soils across a climatic gradient. Journal of Geophysical Research (Biogeosciences) 113, G02027.
    Kuzyakov, Y., Subbotina, I., Chen, H., Bogomolova, I., Xu, X. 2009. Black carbon decomposition and incorporation into microbial biomass estimated by 14C labeling. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 41, 210-219.
    Lehmann, J.: 2007, 'A handful of carbon', Nature 447, 143-144.
    Lehmann, .J, Gaunt, J. and Rondon, M.: 2006, 'Bio-char sequestration in terrestrial ecosystems – a review', Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 11, 403-427.
    Zimmerman, A. 2010. Abiotic and microbial oxidation of laboratory-produced black carbon (biochar). Environmental Science and Technology44, 1295–1301.

Landuse systems and biochar use

Biochar research and development has experienced a meeting of interests by different scientific communities and stakeholders that allow an exciting perspective on how to handle biomass in a future economy. The potential to combine bio-energy production, sustainable agriculture and waste management while reducing greenhouse gas emissions into one approach using biochar offers in many cases significant synergism for a combined strategy (see Figure 2).read more here
    Quote NOVEMBER 14, 2013NOVEMBER 19, 2013
    Q&A: HOW DO I REPLENISH FARMLAND TREATED WITH ROUNDUP?

Roundup is heavily marketed as a safe, easy-to-use solution for those pesky weeds. Never mind why we’re trying to eradicate these plants for which we’ve created habitat, the marketing & success rate of this product have been an outstanding success. Roundup product sales comprise about half of Monsanto’s profits. Alongside the use of this glyphosate herbicide is the widespread cultivation of genetically-modified “Roundup Ready” crops. Most of our staples – corn, soy, cotton, alfalfa, sugar beets, etc. – are grown as massive monocultures, repeatedly sprayed to decimate any plant not resistant to the herbicide. However, as is the case with these sorts of things, selection pressure has quickly bred “superweeds”, leading to the need for even stronger concentrations, leading to plants with higher resistance… and so on.

The cultivation of Roundup Ready crops has an extreme effect on ecosystems. At the smallest level, they erode topsoil, and kill most healthy soil microorganisms. The monocultures create expansive fodder for herbaceous insects to feast on host plants, prompting the need for pesticides. These chemicals also kill the predator insects that would naturally keep pest levels under control, and the pests, with their shorter life cycles, build resistance more quickly. The honeybee, which is responsible for pollinating most of the food we eat, is experiencing colony collapse disorder due to highly toxic pesticide cocktails. Industrial agriculture creates water runoff pollution, & affects frogs, birds, and has been linked to reproductive defects in humans. However, the amount of money at stake means there are few studies we can trust. On two occasions, the United States EPA has caught scientists deliberately falsifying test results at research laboratories hired by Monsanto to study glyphosate.

Lunaria Gardens helps people disengage from this dangerous, industrialized food system, & begin working with life to meet human needs while benefiting nature. I was recently emailed the following question from a grower in Bucks County, PA.

Question:

Hey Kristen,
    I have a dilemma that I thought you might be able to help me with… or point me in the right direction. I just moved to a farm that grows GMO corn and soy and applies roundup… I’m going to take a small portion of the field for my own garden but I’m not sure how to 1) replenish and clean the soil and 2) coexist with the farmer, buffering my crops and such. I’m not looking for an organic certification right now, but I may in the future. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Answer:

Without knowing whether you are living/ building on this property too, here’s my overall priority overview:

1. Preserve
    2. Buffer
    3. Optimize siting/ design
    4. Work with water: slow it, sink it, spread it
    5. Avoid soil compaction
    6. Build organic matter
    7. Plant woodies: trees & shrubs
    8. Be neighborly

1. Preserve:

Preserve any snippets of healthy ecosystem you can. Don’t cut down native species to plant food. Instead, use that unmanaged ecosystem for habitat (toads & birds for integrated pest management), hunting/ foraging, inspiration, & buffer/ screening.

2. Buffer:

Allocate as much land as possible for buffering from the spraying. This is where you’ll try to recreate forested habitat.

3. Optimize siting/ design:

Check out the permaculture concept of zones of use. The areas you plan on tending most frequently should be those you walk by on a daily basis.

Rows don't have to be straight. Circles often form sacred gathering spaces. The farmers at Sweetwater Farm, in Hugo, OR, had their wedding ceremony in the middle of this lettuce ring.
    Rows don’t have to be straight. Circles often form sacred gathering spaces. The farmers at Sweetwater Farm, in Hugo, OR, had their wedding ceremony in the middle of this lettuce ring.

4. Work with water: Slow it, sink it, spread it.

Usually, optimal building siting is midway along a slope elevation, so you can capture fresh rainwater high to gravity feed for potable uses, then divert greywater further downhill for gardens. In this instance, I’m more worried about chemical runoff, so I would try to site high if possible. In any case, look into swales, rain gardens, rainwater collection to best utilize our most precious resource. Ideally, instead of lots of non-point-source pollution, the runoff is biofiltered through plants & soil flora (your preserve/ buffer). Water will help you grow your crops, but will also be providing the necessary catalyst for the bioremediation work of microorganisms.

5. Avoid soil compaction:

Soil bacteria & fungi are who to thank for neutralizing toxicity. When we talk about certain plants being good for filtration, it’s really their symbiotic relationships with microorganisms. Healthy soil has organic matter, water, inorganic matter (subsoil/ minerals), air, and living things: plants, bacteria, fungus, bugs, burrowing animals.

Air is the huge component most people overlook. After years of erosion and being driven over with heavy equipment, your soil will have very little resemblance to healthy soil, but compaction is something that isn’t easily undone. Plan your growing area to minimize soil compaction as much as possible. Plan for vehicle access, wheelbarrow access, and human access in the appropriate areas. Check out keyhole beds.

I don’t recommend tilling, as I think encouraging plants and animals to do that work will be better, and it’s far easier to dump good things on top.

6. Build organic matter:

Build up as much as possible, as soon as possible. Truck in any organic matter you can get. Luckily it’s fall leaf season. To grow immediately, lay down cardboard and dump soil on top of it to get around the compaction issue. If there’s woody debris, look up hugelkulture – basically piling wood/ branches and dumping soil on top and letting the wood soak up and store moisture, improve fungal activity.

On a larger scale, just try to encourage lots of growth, biomass, topsoil regeneration, and dynamic accumulation. You’re trying to accelerate natural succession, which is natures attempt to heal disturbed areas. So encourage what we would consider weeds, the plants with taproots that draw nutrients up from subsoil, reduce compaction, and decompose and mulch their foliage to let other plants access those nutrients. These are called dynamic accumulators. Dandelion, chicory, dock, horseradish, apiaciae (carrot family), comfrey are all good stuff for soil healing. You can plant native seed mixes, plant perennials, or just let stuff grow. You’re just trying to encourage as much natural biodiversity as possible. Start that ASAP, like this fall. Simply avoid mowing, or seed to get things off to a good start.

Integrate animals. They’ll graze all this fodder while fertilizing the fields for optimal soil activity. Pigs are nature’s rototillers, sheep the lawn mowers, goats the poison ivy eaters. Take advantage of their voracious appetites.

Sheep are great for integrating with orchards, as they mow the grass that competes with tree roots, and eat fallen fruit which harbors pest larvae. The breed shown here is Tunis, a colonial American breed with North African origins, as well as one Jacob sheep, a primitive, spotted & horned breed.
    Sheep are great for integrating with orchards, as they mow the grass that competes with tree roots, and eat fallen fruit which harbors pest larvae. The breed shown here is Tunis, a colonial American breed with North African origins, as well as one Jacob sheep, a primitive, spotted & horned breed.

7. Plant woodies: trees & shrubs

Most agriculture is based on annual crops because there’s a quick return on investment. There are some issues with this mode of operation, however. It requires continuous labor inputs season after season. Annual ecosystems only occur briefly after major environmental disturbance; our native ecosystems naturally rely on a balance including far more perennials & woodies.

I don’t think your plot of land can ever really heal so long as native trees & shrubs are absent.

I’m not against growing tomatoes or basil, but I believe in planning for the joy of producing blueberries & paw paws and persimmons – some of our native foods that have a role in ecosystem health. I recommend planting some initial edible forest garden trees, and then shrubs, then herbs, groundcovers. Inoculate logs or wood chips with mushroom spawn. Try to encourage fungal growth, it’s a really crucial component of mature natural systems that scientists are just staring to figure out. These plantings can provide human uses: food, fiber, fodder, farmaceutecals; and lots of indirect uses.

8. Be neighborly:

You’re going to interact with your farmer neighbor a lot. You might as well start it off right by being non-judgemental & helpful. You probably think differently in a lot of ways, but offer to lend a hand, or share a meal, and I think you’ll learn a lot from each other and form an appreciation for each other’s expertise & resources. Interdependence is stronger than independence.

I realized after I wrote this response, that the steps outlined are the same ones I would recommend to anyone who wants to make informed decisions about interacting with the land, because the steps are based in the principles of permaculture. Readers, how have you coped with Roundup-damaged soil & GMO-growing neighbors?
    Last edited by Delight; 21st May 2019 at 00:12.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Constance (21st May 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Hi Delight,

I started a thread called A path to soil health and food independence a little while ago. I thought it might be beneficial to cross post and reference here if that is helpful to members? The thread is based upon the remarkable work that Dr. Zach Bush is spearheading called Farmers Footprint.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Delight (21st May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Constance (here)
    Hi Delight,

I started a thread called A path to soil health and food independence a little while ago. I thought it might be beneficial to cross post and reference here if that is helpful to members? The thread is based upon the remarkable work that Dr. Zach Bush is spearheading called Farmers Footprint.
    Thanks... I like Zack Bush a lot. I want to add this here and we all are looking in the same direction!

Quote MARCH 18, 2018
    The Rich Roll Podcast – Zach Bush, M.D. on GMO’s, Glyphosate, and Healing the Gut

Zach Bush, MD is a triple board certified physician specializing in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology and Metabolism, as well as in Hospice and Palliative care. The director of M Clinic in Virginia, Dr. Bush has published peer-reviewed articles and book chapters in the areas of infectious disease, endocrinology, and cancer.

This is a mind-blowing conversation that explores new insights into the mechanisms behind human health and longevity. It's about the massive and misunderstood impact of industrial farming, chemical pesticides, the pharmaceutical industry and even errant Western medical practices have on both human and planetary health.

It's a conversation about the difference between the science of disease and the science of health. It's about the microbiome as a critical predictor of and protector against illness. And it's an exploration of autism, epigenetics and the mechanics of intercellular communication..

Quote Key Takeaways
    The immune system lies throughout the body, but 60% of the immune system volume, and 80% of the work done by the immune system, is done in the gut lining
    Glyphosate is a chemical used in Roundup as a pesticide, here’s how it’s harmful:
    It block an important enzyme pathway in soil bacteria, fungi, and plants that makes a number of essential amino acids (so we’re treating a food chain with a chemical that blocks the ability of these plants to make the building blocks for a healthy human body)
    “Less than 1/10th of 1% of the Roundup used on a plant actually hits a weed. The other 99.9% gets into the soil and water system, and runs off.”
    Glyphosate appears to increase the permeability of the tight cellular junctions lining the microbiome, as well as the tight junctions holding the blood brain barrier together (which protects the peripheral nervous system, as well as the brain)
    This has led to a MASSIVE increase in neurological injury to children and adults – leading to increased rates of Alzheimer’s disease, autism, Parkinson’s, and MS
    We know about tight junctions which weld cells together, but glyphosate also damages the gap junctions which exists at the midpoint of the cell (these regulate communication between cells)
    Cancer cells divide like crazy because (at a really simple level) they think they’re the only cell left in the body (due to damaged gap junctions, they are not able to communicate well with other cells), and must replicate to survive
    Normal cells, once damaged, are able to kill themselves off (through apoptosis) by communicating with other cells – this breaks down when gap junctions are damaged
    Antibiotics
    There is a strong correlation between antibiotic use and mood disorders (anxiety, panic attack, depression)
    1 course of antibiotics increases your rate of depression within the next 12 months 25% due to interactions with the gut microbiome
    You destroy the gut flora, develop a leaky membrane, get overly inflamed, and the neurological system starts to get hit as the blood brain barrier fails
    2 courses or more of antibiotics increases the risk of major depression within the next 12 months 60%
    How can you improve your microbiome?
    Breathe as many environments/ecosystems as you can
    Get around ferns – a fern won’t grow unless it has access to the oldest ecosystem on the planet (so go read a book next to a fern)
    Eat more fermented foods – Zach recommends to do the fermentation yourself
    Be cautious about probiotics
    Most probiotics, are made of up bacteria that don’t normally colonize a human gut
    99.9% of the products on the market in the probiotic industry are made from bacteria that grow in the bovine intestine – the guts of bovines have different features than humans
    Buy organic food
    You should never eat non-organic food from the Dirty Dozen list
    “Never put a non-organic strawberry in front of your children. It’s a chemical bomb.”
    Other health tips
    Stop using aluminum based deodorants and cosmetics – They are damaging the neurons in the brain
    Get more magnesium – Humans used to get most of our magnesium from bathing in live streams and ocean water, which we don’t do anymore, so we’re all magnesium deficient
    Stop over soaping and using alcohol based sanitizers
    Think about this – the plants that an animal eats are stressed, the animal itself is stressed when it dies, we then eat the animal, and an hour later we wonder why we’re having a panic attack
    99% of the human genome is not making any proteins, however it produces microRNA
    microRNA turn on and change from second to second, telling your genes what the environment is doing
    If you’re stressed, lonely, or fearful – you start making a totally different population of microRNA that enters the blood stream, courses through you, and is eventually secreted through your breath and saliva – effectively telling the environment how you’re feeling
    When cows are killed, this is what they put into their blood stream (and in turn the meat) right before they’re butchered
    5% of the microRNA in your bloodstream is from your last meal
    Your last meal is literally going into your genome, telling your genes which genes to turn on and off, and which proteins to make from those genes
    Intro
    All physical ailments are caused by inflammation – the body’s immune response to stress of any kind
    Dr. Zach Bush (Website, Twitter, Facebook) is a triple board certified physician, with training and certification in Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, and Metabolism, as well as in Hospice and Palliative Care
    “We have more power than we allow ourselves to believe when it comes to healing ourselves”
    It All Comes Back to Chronic Inflammation
    Cancer and ulcers, when reduced down to a simple level, are both results of chronic inflammation
    “Western medicine is trying to manage diseases rather than induce health”
    In 1975, 1 in 5,000 children had autism. Today 1 out of 36 children have an autism spectrum disorder.
    The fastest acceleration in this growth has happened between 2012 and today
    At the current rate we’ll see one third of children with autism by 2035
    1 out of 2 people will be diagnosed with some form of cancer before they die (not counting skin cancer)
    In 1996 there was a sudden rise in the rate of Alzheimer’s/dementia in women. This same pattern was seen for Parkinson’s disease in men.
    Autoimmune diseases also took off in the late 1990s
    Inflammation and the Gut
    Inflammation is a normal biological response to an injury
    The immune system lies throughout the body, but 60% of the immune system volume, and 80% of the work done by the immune system, is done in the gut lining
    The gut
    It really starts in your sinuses
    It’s the barrier system between the outside world and what you breathe, eat, drink etc.
    The gut is the largest surface area that we have exposed to the outside world (~2 tennis courts in area) – compare this to the skin which is ~1.8 square meters
    The only covering of this surface is a thin layer of epithelial cells – these cells are around 50 microns in diameter (which is half the thickness of a human hair)
    This is the only thing that protects you from every bite of food you eat and every chemical that comes into the food chain
    “Sometime between 1982 and 2000, we did something to the environment to totally decimate the protection abilities of our immune system”
    Check out GMO’s Revealed
    The Beginning
    Nowadays, we are calorically replete and nutritionaly deficit
    During the close of World War II, the United States had a large petroleum industry. As the war ended, this industry which was forced to a halt.
    People realized they could extract nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium out of the same oil used for the war, and chemical based fertilizers were made for the first time
    Farmers started using these fertilizers, leading to the Green Revolution
    However, plants lacked nutrients and medicine – the plants became weak
    Just like a human being who lacks nutrients, the plant’s immune system shuts down, leaving it more prone to viruses and pests
    What is glyphosate and how is it harmful?
    Glyphosate is a chemical used in Roundup as a pesticide
    There is 4.5 billion pounds of glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, sold to treat the soils of the earth annually
    Glyphosate blocks the Shikimate enzyme pathway in soil bacteria, fungi, and plants
    This pathway is important because it makes a number of the essential amino acids
    There are 26 amino acids, 9 of these are known as the essential amino acids which can’t be made by the human body, (these 26 amino acids code for 200,000 proteins in our body)
    By tweaking any of the 9 essential amino acids (which you’d get by eating plants treated with glyphosate), you start to lose the functionality of tens of thousands of protein structures
    Long story short – we’re treating a food chain with a chemical that blocks the ability of these plants to make the building blocks for a healthy human body
    “Less than 1/10th of 1% of the Roundup used on a plant actually hits a weed. The other 99.9% gets into the soil and water system, and runs off.”
    The Mississippi river collects over 80% of all the round up in the country – this evaporates, goes into the air you breath, then the clouds, and eventually it rains down on us
    Recent studies show 75% of the air and 75% the rain are contaminated with Roundup
    “You may be growing organic crops, but they’re getting rained on with Roundup”
    Current estimates say if we stopped spreading Roundup tomorrow, it’d take about 50 years before our ecosystem sees a drop of Roundup below toxic levels
    The Ties Between Glyphosate, the Microbiome, and Neurodegenerative Diseases
    In 2012, Zach found molecules in soil similar to the chemotherapy drug he had been making
    In turns out, they were made by bacteria and fungi in the soil
    In the mid 2000s, papers started coming out examining bacteria in the gut, and how it might predict which type of cancer you may develop
    Now, we know the bacterial genome is way more important in determining cancer than the human genome
    The take away – what if, like the bacteria in the soil, the bacteria in our guts are doing the same thing, and are actually our best source of medicine
    Glyphosate appears to increase the permeability of the tight cellular junctions lining the microbiome
    Outside of affecting the shikimate pathway, glyphosate causes direct injury to the protein structure holding the gut lining together
    Every macro membrane in the body (like blood vessels that fuel the entire body with oxygen and nutrients) are held together with the same tight junctions
    Same with the blood brain barrier which protects the peripheral nervous system and the brain – the same tight junctions holding this membrane together is getting destroyed by glyphosate
    This has led to a MASSIVE increase in neurological injury to children and adults – leading to increased rates of Alzheimer’s disease, autism, Parkinson’s, and MS
    The kidney tubules, held together to detox the body, are also held together by the same tight junctions
    The damage to gap junctions
    Tight junctions weld cells together (regulate the flow of material), gap junctions exist at the midpoint of the cell (they regulate communication between cells)
    Cells communicate with each other through light, and the passage of electrons from one cell to the next using these gap junctions
    Glyphosate damages these gap junctions, and thus hinders communication between cells
    The connection to cancer:
    Cancer cells divide like crazy because (at a really simple level) they think they’re the only cell left in the body (due to damaged gap junctions, they are not able to communicate well with other cells), and must replicate to survive
    Normal cells, once damaged, are able to kill themsevles off (through apoptosis) by communicating with other cells – this breaks down when gap junctions are damaged
    The tie between glyphosate and neruodegenerative diseases
    “We are barely human when it comes down to the shere number of non-human cells we carry within us, that we are completely dependent upon”
    We have about 50 trillion human cells, and 1.5 quadrillion bacteria, and 10x that in fungi (so around 14 quadrillion microbiome elements in our body)
    The brain is the most ATP demanding element we have – there can be 2,000 mitochondria in one neural body
    50% of the calories burned at night are burned by the brain
    Therefore the brain will be the first to show damage to mitochondria
    The hallmark of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease – mitochondrial damage, and hence a loss mitochondrial function (a loss of ATP) and metabolites (mitochondria make oxygen based redox molecules which act as the communication tool/electrical energy which travels across gap junctions to communicate with other cells)
    Simplified – in a neurodegenerative processes we lose energy and lose the healing potential in the intercellular environment because we are losing that communication network
    Every autistic child has a very abnormal microbiome
    They have difficulty detoxing and are highly permeable across all membranes
    Because of this, they have a build up of toxins from food and the environment
    After leak occurs – mitochondria are damaged at a very high rate, causing them to lose mitochondrial capacity
    In optimal health – electrical potential across a cell is at a level 10
    At level 3.5, we die
    As we age, this number tends to drop
    With autism, we see an electrical potential similar to someone with elderly dementia
    KEY POINT – ***This occurs because of the damage to mitochondria, which in turn effects gap junction function, hindering communication between cells***
    Other Side Effects of a Leaky Microbiome
    The leak between the outside world and inside world, through a breakdown of the tight junctions leads, leads to an inhibited identity of the outside world and the inside world
    This is literally taking away self identity from the immune system, leading to autoimmune disease – we react to our own body as if it was foreign
    At the macro level, Zach think’s we’re losing our own self identity as human beings as we start to leak
    We become depressed, have anxiety, panic attacks, fear – “We are literally losing self identity at the cell level because we are eating a chemical that breaks our identity at the cell level”
    Cows and Micro-RNA
    99% of the human genome is not making any proteins, however it produces microRNA
    microRNA turn on and change from second to second, telling your genes what the environment is doing
    If you’re stressed, lonely, or fearful – you start making a totally different population of microRNA that enters the blood stream, courses through you, and is eventually secreted through your breath and saliva – effectively telling the environment how you’re feeling
    When cows are killed, this is what they put into their blood stream (and in turn the meat) right before they’re butchered
    5% of the microRNA in your bloodstream is from your last meal
    Your last meal is literally going into your genome, telling your genes which genes to turn on and off, and which proteins to make from those genes
    Antibiotics
    There is a strong correlation between antibiotic use and mood disorders (anxiety, panic attack, depression)
    1 course of antibiotics increases your rate of depression within the next 12 months 25% due to interactions with the gut microbiome
    You’re destroying the gut flora, develop a leaky membrane, get overly inflamed, and the neurologic system starts to get hit as the blood brain barrier fails
    2 courses or more of antibiotics increases the risk of major depression within the next 12 months 60%
    The rate at which physicians are prescribing antibiotics hasn’t changed in the last 15 years
    Antibiotic use in animals has gone way up
    We’re using 5x more antibiotics in the beef, poultry, and pork industries than we are in humans (7.7 million pounds of antibiotics used in humans, 30 million pounds of antibiotic used in animal production in North America)
    What’s the solution? How can we move forward?
    We need to get back to true farming
    Breathe as many environments/ecosystems as you can to repopulate your microbiome
    Get out of your house, go hike, go travel, and as Wim Hof says – BREATH MOTHER****ER
    Get around ferns – a fern won’t grow unless it has access to the oldest ecosystem on the planet (so go read a book next to a fern)
    Eat more fermented foods – Zach recommends to do the fermentation yourself
    Be cautious about probiotics
    Most probiotics, are made of up bacteria that don’t normally colonize a human gut
    99.9% of the products on the market in the probiotic industry are made from bacteria that grow in the bovine intestine – the guts of bovines have different features than humans
    Buy organic food
    EWG Website – Clean 15 and the Dirty Dozen
    The Clean 15 is a list of the 15 cleanest crops/plants that grown conventionally, have extremely low amounts of pesticide/herbicides, so it’s not worth buying them organic
    You should never eat non-organic food from the Dirty Dozen list
    “Never put a non-organic strawberry in front of your children. It’s a chemical bomb.”
    The drive for organic products is driving the cost down
    Check out Thrive Market
    Stop using aluminum based deodorants and cosmetics
    They are damaging the neurons in the brain
    Get more magnesium
    Humans used to get most of our magnesium from bathing in live streams and ocean water, which we don’t do anymore, so we’re all magnesium deficient
    Magnesium is best absorbed through the skin
    Charles Poliquin, as noted in this Podcast Notes Summary on Sleep, recommends Magnesium Threonate at bedtime
    Stop over soaping and using alcohol based sanitizers
    The vast majority of viruses that would cause the flu are airborne, not translated via handshake
    Thought Provoking
    As mentioned earlier –
    “Any society faced with the fact that 1 in 3 children have autism will collapse under a financial blow that is inescapable”
    “The politicians are not the solution, you and I are the solution, as consumers”
    The organic food movement is taking off – 4-5% of the food sold in the country is organic
    Studies predict if this number gets to 16%, chemical farming would lose its financial stability
    Think about this – the plants that the animal eats are stressed, the animal itself is stressed when it dies, we eat the animal, and an hour later we wonder why we’re having a panic attack – WOW
    Methane from cows is the number 1 greenhouse gas produced in North America
    Zach is working on a product for cows, it reduces the amount of gut stress and methane they produce
    Cows on feed lots are very similar to autisitc children – they are skiddish, can’t make eye contact, are easily startled – they have lost their filter systems just like the child with autism has
    The end of the Mississippi, the last 90 miles or so, which collects all the Roundup/glyphosate, has the highest rates of cancer in the developed world – it is known as Cancer Alley
    Last edited by Delight; 21st May 2019 at 02:12.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alekahn2 (21st May 2019), Constance (21st May 2019), norman (21st May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,259 times in 1,414 posts

Quote Posted by Olam (here)
    Here is a great video about recent developments as to remove glyphosate from the body by using Chlorine dioxide...

This vid is fantastic, Olam. Thanks.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justplain For This Post:

Constance (9th June 2019), Delight (21st May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (22nd May 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

Quote Glyphosate interferes with the essential amino acids pathway in plants
    Posted on March 20, 2019 by Mimi Castellanos

Zach Bush: Glyphosate has interrupted and interfered with the essential amino acids plants were providing to humans.

How did it do this? It did it thru blocking an enzyme pathway called the shikimate pathway.

Wikipedia:
    The shikimate pathway (shikimic acid pathway) is a seven step metabolic route used by bacteria, archaea, fungi, algae, some protozoans, and plants for the biosynthesis of folates and aromatic amino acids (phenylalanine, tyrosine, and tryptophan).

This pathway is not found in animals and humans. Animals and humans require these amino acids. Hence the products of this pathway represent essential amino acids. They must be obtained from organisms which are not animals; or, from animals whose diet includes lower organisms who do have the shikimate pathway and can make these amino acids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikimate_pathway

Monsanto claims Roudup is safe because it interferes with an enzyme pathway only present in bacteria, archaea, fungi, algae, some protozoans, and plants .

So Gly kills the pathway in plants that makes teh essential amino acids humans need.

He details the snowballing effects on infants of loss of healthy bacterial biome.

He says if you go 100% organic, in three weeks, some chronic symptoms begin backing off.
    Round Up is Ubiquitous in The American Landscape. There is more about the shikimate pathway starts at 17:00. We need to grow our own organic food, find organic CSA's and stop eating all processed foods and any non organic foods to minimize the exposure.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (21st May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

27. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Quote Posted by Delight (here)

Think about this – the plants that an animal eats are stressed, the animal itself is stressed when it dies, we then eat the animal, and an hour later we wonder why we’re having a panic attack
    Thanks for sharing this transcript. Awesome work!

Here is a little story that aligns with what Zac Bush has said.

I used to help run a series of wholistic health and wellbeing workshops. Before the lunch break, we would always kindly ask participants to eat a light, plant-based meal for lunch.

However, not all of our participants would oblige. I recall during one afternoon, about an hour after lunch, one of the participants experiencing a fully blown panic attack.

The participant was literally gasping for air. Once they had been treated for their panic attack and they had returned to a balanced state, we then asked them what they had eaten for lunch and they had replied, "fish." Fish gasp for air just before they suffocate to death.

Quote 99% of the human genome is not making any proteins, however it produces microRNA. MicroRNA turn on and change from second to second, telling your genes what the environment is doing. If you’re stressed, lonely, or fearful – you start making a totally different population of microRNA that enters the blood stream, courses through you, and is eventually secreted through your breath and saliva – effectively telling the environment how you’re feeling.
    When cows are killed, this is what they put into their blood stream (and in turn the meat) right before they’re butchered. 5% of the microRNA in your bloodstream is from your last meal. Your last meal is literally going into your genome, telling your genes which genes to turn on and off, and which proteins to make from those genes.
    What has been shared here has deeply profound implications for our health and wellbeing.
    Last edited by Constance; 9th June 2019 at 07:55.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Delight (21st May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

This information Could be very depressing? We could feel afraid? I think we need to demand that there be change from a place of serious concern (in My country USA the glyphosate is in our rainwater even).

There are some things we can do if concerned, and IMO they can be done with reverence for how strong we are as humans. It has been shown that organics eaten exclusively for even 3 weeks can yield health measures improvement. I personally add intention that everything I do will effect me with the highest good.

Personally as I am concerned, I will NO LONGER eat junk food and I will be cooking at home.

Quote How To Protect Yourself From Glyphosate

If you have read my previous two articles on the world's most used pesticide Glyphosate (the active ingredient in Roundup) you will know how widespread this chemical is in our food water and environment.

You will also know how damaging it is to our health.

If you haven't read these two articles, you can read them here:

Part 1 - Glyphosate: The Weed Killer Found In Our Food & Water

Part 2 - Glyphosate: Why You Need To Eat Organic

In this article, part 3 of my glyphosate series, I want to show you 24 ways to protect yourself from the harmful effects of glyphosate - the herbicide found in weed killers like Roundup and Accord.

Before we begin, if you want simple practical takeaway points (saving you the long read) be sure to click HERE to download my 'Protect Yourself from Glyphosate' Cheat Sheet.

24 Ways To Protect Yourself From Glyphosate
    1. Eat More Sulfur Rich Foods
    Examples of sulfur rich foods include eggs, organic cheese, onions and garlic. Why consume more sulfur? Glyphosate exposure in the body depletes sulfur and also effects sulfate pathways.

Insufficient sulfate in the brain impairs the body's ability to remove metals and toxins. Not ideal with glyphosate and other pollutants ubiquitous in our food. Sulfur is also important for the body's detoxification processes.

Dr Stephanie Seneff, a senior scientist at MIT, has done a lot of research on glyphosate and health. She has this to say about sulfur:

One of the most important things [to protect yourself from the harmful effects of glyphosate] is to be sure to get enough dietary sulfur.
    2. Eat Organic
    This is a no brainer. If you're looking to reduce your glyphosate load then avoid foods sprayed with pesticides!

In fact, research has shown that eating an organic diet for 1 week reduced pesticide exposure in the diet by 90% (1).

If you can't afford or source organic, then look for pesticide-free food. Or better yet, grow your own.

If you are one of the fortunate ones eating a 100% organic diet, be sure to continue working through the rest of this article. Studies have found glyphosate residue in organically certified food (33). Not to mention residues in our rain water (3).

3. Avoid All GMO Foods
    GMO - genetically modified organisms crops were introduced to the market by Monsanto in 1996. Monsanto was the original developer of glyphosate and continues to sell the pesticide under the trade name Roundup.

Monsanto developed their GMO crops to be 'RoundUp Ready', this meant that the plant wouldn't die when exposed to glyphosate. Farmers could spray entire fields with Roundup knowing that only the weeds would die.

In turn, GMO crops are exposed to huge levels of pesticides.

GMO food is one of the worst offenders for glyphosate contamination. If you are eating non-organic but are still worried about glyphosate in your diet, make sure you avoid all GMO (also known as GE) food in your diet. This means avoiding grains like canola, soy and corn. Remember, these grains (or their byproducts) are used in a range of foods including:

Cooking Oils
    Margarine
    Biscuits
    Baked Goods
    Snack Bars
    Cereals
    Soda Drink

4. Consume Plenty of Dietary Probiotics
    Glyphosate is a patented antibiotic. It kills bacteria living in our gut. I go into this in more detail in Part 2 - Glyphosate: Why You Need To Eat Organic.

One way to protect against this damage and to help with glyphosate toxicity is to increase your consumption of dietary probiotics.

What are the best go-to sources of probiotics? Fermented foods are a great start. Dr Seneff states:

The other [way to protect yourself from glyphosate is to] get plenty of dietary probiotics. Especially important are fermented foods with a live culture of acetobacter. This includes organic apple cider vinegar, sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, some cheeses and probably yogurt.

5. Test Your Body's Exposure Levels
    If you want to find out how much glyphosate is in the body, and in turn track your progress of reducing your toxin load, then look at testing for glyphosate contamination.
    I asked Dr Seneff what she thought were the best ways to test for glyphosate. Here is what she said:

It's possible to measure glyphosate levels in the urine. I recommend My Labs for Life (www.mylabsforlife.com). Also Great Plains Laboratory (https://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/glyphosate-test).
    This doesn't necessarily map directly to your total glyphosate burden, because there's a large percentage of the glyphosate you're exposed to daily that washes out through the kidneys over probably a two-week period, but there's another small percentage that insidiously accumulates in your bone marrow and elsewhere in your tissues and this part is not easy to measure! It's that part that accumulates that continues to cause disease long after you were first exposed to it.

6. Supplement With Manganese
    Glyphosate is a powerful chelator of certain minerals. It is even patented as a chelating agent. One mineral that it binds very well with is manganese. Studies have shown that roundup depleted manganese levels in animals and plants (4).

Manganese deficiency is linked to a wide range of health effects including mitochondrial function, gut health and cognitive decline (4).

Look at supplementing with a quality manganese supplement such as Thorne Research, Manganese Bisglycinate.

Alternatively consume plenty of manganese rich foods such as tea, cloves, mussels and molasses. Ensure these are all organically sourced.

7. Avoid the Worst Offenders
    Avoid foods tested to be high in glyphosate residues.

All GMO crops are going to be high on this list. But some non-GMO crops are sprayed with Roundup days prior to harvest. This is known as desiccation.

Farmers do this to help increase crop yield (as the plant dies from glyphosate exposure, it sends all it's energy to the seed in one last survival push).

The biggest offenders include:

Any GMO product (soy, canola, corn, cotton)
    Vegetable Cooking oils such as canola oil (for more on this read my article on PUFA's)
    Bread *
    Corn *
    Beer *
    Sugar *
    ChickPeas & Lentils*
    Avoid these foods at all costs!
    *Non-Organic. Organic varieties of these foods are ok.

8. Read The Book Poison Foods of North America
    Tony Mitra's new book Poison Foods of North America: Guide to navigating the glyphosate mine field in our food web looks at glyphosate levels of over 8000 foods sourced from 60 countries. Dr Seneff recommended this book to me saying:

Tony is an activist in Canada who has persuaded the Canadian government to measure glyphosate levels in many foods, and then who has obtained the data from the government through Canada's freedom of information act. He is still in the process of analyzing the data, but his results are very interesting. Most telling is that by far the highest contaminations are found in foods from Canada and the U.S. Foods imported into Canada from Mexico consistently had very low levels of contamination, as did imports from other countries around the world.

Tony found that food from the USA is 'the most toxic food in the world'.

For those not living in the USA, he presents this table showing glyphosate residues in the samples he tested:

Educating yourself on where toxic food exists, and what foods have the highest glyphosate residues, empowers you to make informed and healthy decisions.

9. Use only Organic or Grass Fed Bones for Bone Broth
    I'm a big fan of bone broth. I ensure I have at least a cup of it a day (read why and how to make it HERE).

But you need to certain that your broth is coming from a healthy animal. An animal with minimal glyphosate exposure.

Dr Seneff and her colleague Anthony Samsel report that Glyphosate is dangerous because it mimics glycine. Meaning animals (or humans) exposed to glyphosate could store the harmful pesticide in their bone matrix.

So if you are a regular consumer of bone broth (and you should be!) make sure you are sourcing quality bones. They don't need to be organic, bones from grass fed cows are fine. You want to avoid bones from cows that have been fed GMO grains.

10. Avoid Non-Organic Collagen Products
    Following up on the point above, be wary of foods that contain collagen ( a structural protein found in skin and other connective tissues). Collagen is very high in glycine.

So if you are a regular consumer of collagen-containing products, make sure the collagen is organically sourced.

Collagen is used as a thickener and examples of foods that contain collagen include Jell-O products, candies, ice creams, some cheeses and dips.

If you're looking for an organic source of collagen powder I use and recommend Great Lakes collagen powder (I add it to my morning coffee).

11. Don't Use RoundUp at Home.
    Another obvious way to protect yourself from glyphosate exposure is to avoid using it around the home. Roundup and other glyphosate-containing pesticides are a common sight in garden sheds. People use them to clear weeds, kill of overgrowing grass and even to clear sections of a building.

If you use it around the home and want to improve your health, stop using it! Look at using natural weed killers instead. Or physically remove the plants.

If you must use Roundup, then ensure you follow all the protection guidelines - wear gloves and coveralls and a quality breathing mask.

12. If your Neighbours are Spraying, Stay Inside
    Maybe you live next to a GMO farm? Or perhaps you're over zealous weed control neighbour uses a lot of Roundup. Either way, if you see your neighbours spraying, get inside fast!

Glyphosate is even more harmful when inhaled. Worse, studies show that inhaling glyphosate, even in trace amounts, can cause DNA damage (5).

This is also anther reason why you should use a quality mask if you are dealing with glyphosate.

13. Avoid Recently Sprayed Parks & Play Areas
    Roundup is used by city councils, schools and sports fields all around the world. If you're looking to minimise your glyphosate load, then eating organic may not be enough.

Most councils will display when they have sprayed (or are about to spray). I recommend avoiding parks and play areas around these times.

14. Detoxify If Exposed to Glyphosate
    If you are unlucky enough to come into contact with a large amount of glyphosate then you may want to look at using a detoxification protocol to help minimise the damage.

Activated charcoal, bentonite clay, sauerkraut juice and organic soil matter can all help here. Dr Seneff had this to say about detoxifying glyphosate:

Experiments on cows showed both reduced urinary levels of glyphosate and improved health following a treatment regimen that consisted of orally delivered fulvic acid and humic acid (organic matter from the soil) along with sauerkraut juice, activated charcoal and bentonite clay. I think these nutrients from the soil bind to glyphosate and take it out through the feces.

16. Supplement with Glutathione
    Glutathione is one of the body's most important antioxidant and detoxification factors. Crucial for health and detoxification it's important to ensure our levels of this antioxidant are high.

Unfortunately, glyphosate has been shown to create deficiencies in glutathione (6).

Eating sulfur rich foods can help boost glutathione levels, so can supplemental whey protein powder. Otherwise, you can use a quality glutathione supplement such as Thorne Glutathione-SR.

17. Don't Use Vegetable Oils for Cooking
    Vegetable or Seed oils such as canola oil, peanut oil, corn oil soybean oil and sunflower oil are all extremely high in poly-unsaturated fatty acids (PUFAS). These fats are easily oxidised can cause a lot of health problems (read more in my article PUFA's: The Worst Thing For Your Health That You Eat Everyday).

Worse, a lot of these oils are made from GMO crops - corn, rapeseed (used for canola oil) and soy. These crops contain high levels of glyphosate residue.

For improved health, you should be avoiding excess PUFAs anyway, but if you are looking to protect yourself from glyphosate, here is another good reason to avoid these oils. Instead, use fats higher in saturated fats for cooking (coconut oil, tallow, lard, butter, ghee etc).

18. Avoid Eating Non-Organic Bread, Even If You're Not Celiac
    Dr Seneff has linked gluten intolerance to glyphosate exposure. In fact, experts have claimed that the growing number of people who suffer when eating gluten isn't necessarily due to the gluten itself, but instead the glyphosate residues in the wheat.

Wheat is often sprayed with glyphosate preharvest, so it's going to be high in pesticides. And tests have revealed that 60% of bread sold in the UK is contaminated with glyphosate (7).

If glyphosate is a concern, avoid wheat and wheat containing products like bread. If you must eat wheat, ensure it's certified organic.

19. Use Plant Extracts To Protect From Glyphosate Exposure
    If you know you are going to be exposed to glyphosate (whether it's through diet or environment) Dr Seneff suggests that common plants such as dandelions, barberry, and burdock may be able to provide some protection by supporting sulfate transport.
    Use nature to protect the body from man-made chemicals!

20. Eat a Cholesterol-Rich Diet
    If you're worried about saturated fat or cholesterol, be sure to read my article 9 Reasons Why Your Doctor Is Wrong About Fat.

Now you know that saturated fat isn't going to 'clog up your arteries' you will be pleased to know that it can help protect yourself from glyphosate.

Cholesterol serves as a precursor for the biosynthesis of steroid hormones (such as testosterone) and vitamin D.

For a great explanation of why cholesterol and sulfur are important for health (and how glyphosate messes all these systems up) have a watch of the following:

21. Get Some Sun!
    This tip is easy - get outside! Expose your skin to the sun (and minimise sunscreen use).
    Glyphosate can disrupt the enzyme that is responsible for making cholesterol sulfate. This is not a good situation to be in. Cholesterol sulfate can help shuttle cholesterol around the body without needing it to be packaged up in LDL particles (which are associated with heart disease)

If you watched that video above you would have learnt how sunlight exposure helps synthesis vitamin D and sulfate. The skin is the main producer of cholesterol sulfate. When exposed to the sun it produces cholesterol sulfate and vitamin D.

If we are exposed to glyphosate, we need to do everything we can to ensure our body can still produce cholesterol sulfate - sun exposure is the best way to do this (along with avoiding glyphosate of course!)

22. Sleep More
    Quality sleep not only helps us feel great in the morning but research has shown it can even help the body eliminate toxins (8). Also, Dr Seneff states in this interview (9):

Besides needing melatonin to transport sulfate into the brain, we also need melatonin to reduce heavy metal toxicity. Where supplies of melatonin are adequate, melatonin will bind to aluminum, cadmium, copper, iron, and lead, and reduce their toxicity. Where melatonin is low, a lot of damage can result.
    Melatonin - released at night as long as we're not exposed to blue light can help the body detoxify. More reason to get to bed early tonight. If you are looking for free tips on how to increase your sleep, be sure to head over to THIS page.

23. Supplement with Vitamin C
    Like glutathione listed earlier, supplemental vitamin C has been shown to help mitigate glyphosate exposure.

A 2006 paper found that:

glyphosate alone or included in Roundup 3 plus(®), induced significant changes in cellular antioxidant status as a glutathione depletion, enzymatic (catalase, glutathione-peroxidase and superoxide dismutase) disorders, and increased lipid peroxidation
    They then tested the impact of Vitamin C supplementation and concluded that Vitamin C might have:

preventive effects against deleterious cutaneous cell damage caused by Roundup.(10)
    Dr Seneff, in an interview on Liveto110.com, said that she thinks glyphosate may disrupt red blood cells ability to maintain vitamin C status.

If you are looking to protect yourself from glyphosate, I would suggest supplementing with a quality vitamin c capsule such as Thorne C.

24. Drink Spring Water
    As I outlined in my article Glyphosate: The Weed Killer Found In Our Food & Water, glyphosate is not only found in out food, it's also in our waterways and rain water supply.

If you are serious about decreasing your intake of glyphosate, ensure you drink a quality spring water (bottled at the source).

Otherwise, install a reverse osmosis filter in your house to remove all pollutants and chemicals (not just glyphosate) from your house water supply.

Bonus Tip - Supplement with Restore
    Restore is a new gut support product to hit the market. Developed by Zack Bush, it's getting a lot of hype around it's effectiveness, one of the benefits to the supplement is it's ability to protect the gut against glyphosate exposure!

I have done some digging into the efficacy of Restore, and it does look promising. But as it's a new product it is hard for me to make a solid recommendation.

Wanting a second opinion, I reached out to Dr Seneff. Her response was clear - it's a good supplement and the Restore supplement was high on her list of worthwhile supplements.

So if you are looking for a supplement that can protect against the harmful effects of glyphosate, Restore is the go to choice. You can order it from iHerb. Be sure to use discount code BHS654 to save a few dollars.

Looking For A Cheat Sheet Guide?
    Are you looking for a simple to follow, one-page cheat sheet guide with practical tips to protect yourself from glyphosate? HERE

Print it out, share it with the family, carry it with you when you do your shop. These simple to follow tips will help you and your family minimise the negative impact this toxic chemical has on our health.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (21st May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

Quote Michelle Perro, MD, and Vincanne Adams, PhD, are basically a dream team on the topic of industrialized food and how it may be connected to chronic childhood illness.

Michelle is a pediatrician with over 35 years of experience in acute integrative medicine. Vincanne is professor and vice chair of medical anthropology at the University of California, San Francisco, not to mention editor of the Medical Anthropology Quarterly.

In 2017 Michelle and Vincanne wrote an incredible book called What’s Making Our Children Sick?: How Industrial Food Is Causing an Epidemic of Chronic Illness, and What Parents (and Doctors) Can Do About It to lay out their case.Wellness mama podcast

Interview with Wellness Mama here

Transcript of Wellness Mama interview with Perro + Adams here
    What's Making Our Children Sick + What We Can Do About It - Perro + Adams (July 2018)
    Last edited by Delight; 21st May 2019 at 07:39.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (21st May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (21st May 2019)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

Quote May 13, 2019
    Laboratory testing has revealed high levels of glyphosate pesticide in vegan protein proteins like pea protein, even the organic versions!

Quote Glyphosate Detox: How To Rid Your Body of Harmful Herbicide and Pesticide Residues
    Jul 2, 2018 Carly Fraser

It’s in our waterways, air, and food supply. Glyphosate is a sickness plaguing our planet. The bad news? It’s starting to show up in our bodies.

Glyphosate has many adverse side effects, and may be a contributor to chronic conditions like autism-spectrum disorders and cancer.

This is why it is so essential that we do a glyphosate detox. Not only will the following recommendations help chelate glyphosate from deep down in your tissues, but they will assist in the removal of other harmful pesticides, herbicides and toxins from the body.

What is Glyphosate?
    Glyphosate is the primary active ingredient found in Roundup herbicides, as well 700 other products ranging from household products to non-Roundup herbicides.

Glyphosate was originally developed as an industrial cleansing agent to chelate heavy metals and other substances from clogged pipes (1). When the discovery was made that glyphosate actually kills microbes, it was transformed into what became one of the most widely used weed killers in conventional agriculture.

Nearly 200 million pounds of glyphosate are dumped on American soil each year. This includes Roundup that has been sprayed for agricultural purposes, as well as home use for gardens and yards.

While hundreds of tests and independent, reliable studies have shown that glyphosate is a major threat to human health, the FDA and EPA only rely on tests done by the manufacturer. This means results are largely biased, and as a result, no regulations are put in place to protect humans, animals, or the environment.

Glyphosate is not only used as a means to prevent weeds from popping up, but it is used as a drying agent that is sprayed heavily on crops like wheat and sugarcane.

Dangers of Glyphosate
    When our bodies start storing glyphosate, it becomes evident in the form of chronic health conditions. This is why it is so important to perform a glyphosate detox. This chemical has no purpose in the body, other than making us chronically inflamed and sick.

Studies have found that Monsanto’s GMOs increase human allergy susceptibility, suppress the immune system and possibly cause autism, Parkinson’s and cancer (2). In 2009, glyphosate was temporarily banned in Argentina after incidents of cancer and birth defects started rising in areas where people lived next to glyphosate-sprayed crops (3).

A recent study published in JAMA (4) tracked people over the age of 50 in Southern California from 1993-1996 to 2014-2016. The researchers collected urine samples over this time to measure excretion levels of glyphosate and its metabolite aminomethylphosphonic acid (AMPA). They found that the percentage of people who tested positive for glyphosate increased by over 500% in that time period. The levels of glyphosate usage during this time period also spiked by over 1208%. Coincidence? I think not.

The researchers go on to note that the values observed in their study are higher than in European adults. They also state that chronic exposure to glyphosate-based herbicides can “induce adverse health outcomes,” as they go on to cite a study that makes the following claims (5):
    – Glyphosate-based herbicides (GBHs) are the most heavily applied herbicide in the world, and their use continues to rise
    – GBHs, worldwide, contaminate drinking water sources, precipitation, and air, particularly in agricultural regions
    – The half-life of glyphosate in water and soil is longer than previously recognized
    – Glyphosate and its metabolites are widely present in the global soybean supply
    – Human exposure to GBHs are rising
    – Glyphosate is now authoritatively classified by the World Health Organization (WHO) as a probable human carcinogen
    – Regulatory estimates of tolerable daily intakes for glyphosate in the United States and European Union are based on outdated science.

And while glyphosate-containing products don’t kill people on the spot, that doesn’t mean it isn’t safe. The effects of glyphosate are slow and build up over months and years until you finally start presenting symptoms.

Over time, glyphosate slowly damages our delicate gut flora, leading to chronic diseases rooted in gut dysfunction (like gut inflammation and leaky gut). By destroying our gut villi, glyphosate reduces our ability to absorb vitamins and minerals (6).

Glyphosate also disrupts the shikimate pathway found in beneficial gut microbes (7). The shikimate pathway is a probiotic pathway that helps synthesize critical amino acids as well as cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes. These enzymes are used by the body to detox chemical compounds in the body, as well as xenobiotics.

As you can probably guess, a lack of enzymes to help remove toxic substances from the body means that anyone who is exposed to high levels of glyphosate become even more vulnerable to the damaging effects of other chemicals and environmental toxins they encounter.

Glyphosate Detox: Crops To Avoid
    One of the first things you should consider when doing a glyphosate detox is to quit eating the very foods this chemical is sprayed on. GBHs are used on crops like maize, soy grain, canola, wheat, barley, and edible beans (8). That’s not all, though. Glyphosate is also sprayed as a desiccant on things like almonds, grapes, and rice (9).

According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the following non-organic crops are sprayed with glyphosate (reporting years: 2004-2013) (10):

1. Alfalfa*
    2. Almonds**
    3. Apples*
    4. Apricots
    5. Artichokes
    6. Asparagus
    7. Avocados
    8. Barley*
    9. Beans, Green
    10. Blueberries
    11. Broccoli
    12. Brussels Sprouts
    13. Cabbage
    14. Caneberries
    15. Canola*
    16. Canteloupes
    17. Carrots
    18. Cauliflower
    19. Celery
    20. Cherries*
    21. Chicory
    22. Corn**
    23. Cotton**
    24. Cucumbers
    25. Dates
    26. Dry Beans/Peas*
    27. Fallow**
    28. Figs
    29. Garlic
    30. Grapefruit*
    31. Grapes**
    32. Hazelnuts
    33. Kiwifruit
    34. Lemons*
    35. Lettuce
    36. Nectarines
    37. Oats*
    38. Olives
    39. Onions
    40. Oranges**
    41. Pasture*
    42. Peaches*
    43. Peanuts*
    44. Pears*
    45. Peas, Green
    46. Pecans*
    47. Peppers
    48. Pistachios*
    49. Plums/Prunes*
    50. Pluots
    51. Pomegranates*
    52. Potatoes
    53. Pumpkins
    54. Rice*
    55. Sorghum**
    56. Soybeans**
    57. Spinach
    58. Squash
    59. Strawberries
    60. Sugar Beets**
    61. Sugarcane*
    62. Sunflowers**
    63. Sweet Corn*
    64. Tangelos
    65. Tangerines
    66. Tobacco
    67. Tomatoes*
    68. Walnuts*
    69. Watermelons
    70. Wheat**
    *Over 100,000 pounds of glyphosate herbicide sprayed on them throughout the year
    **Over 1,000,000 pounds of glyphosate herbicide sprayed on them throughout the year

Applying glyphosate to non-GMO crops as a desiccant before harvest is probably one of the worst times to spray, because the glyphosate then absorbs into the food crop directly. In other words, glyphosate can’t simply be “washed off,” as it has become part of the food itself. This chemical is them ingested by those who consume the whole, unprocessed food, or via processed foods that contain glyphosate as an ingredient.

To be honest, I was a little shocked by the number of crops that are sprayed with glyphosate. I was always under the impression that the major crops to stay away from (and to buy organic) were those like wheat, soy, canola, and the basic ones you hear mentioned by many health food websites. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Glyphosate doesn’t only taint our food supply, but it can enter ground water and taint organic crops. Not to mention spray fall-out which can travel miles upon miles on windy days. If we’re not directly eating glyphosate-sprayed crops, then we’re inhaling it, or drinking it (or even bathing in it). There is quite literally no way to escape the glyphosate chemical giant Monsanto (now owned by Bayer) has created.

As a result, we need glyphosate detox methods, and thankfully, certain foods and herbs help remove this herbicide with ease.

Glyphosate Detox: How To Rid Your Body of Harmful Herbicide and Pesticide Residues
    Scientists and clinicians have identified some ways in which harmful herbicide and pesticide residues can be removed or lessened in the body. One of the best ways is to consume a “detox diet.”

Dr. Robert Zieve, an integrative medicine expert and medical director of Partners in Integrative Cancer Therapies, in Prescott, AZ poses the question:

“How do we engage in this lifelong process of detoxification? As a foundation, this involves eating healthy food. This means organic, GMO-free food,” he said in an e-mail interview (11). “Herbs such as cilantro help us to eliminate metals such as lead and mercury,” he said. “Herbs like turmeric and garlic help to lower the levels of inflammation that are often the underlying causes [of chronic diseases.]”

Dr. Zieve also recommends adaptogenic herbs like Siberian ginseng, ashwagandha, rhodiola, and other similar herbs to help guard against the herbicide-induced endocrine disruption. Other herbs like milk thistle and dandelion root help protect the liver. Dr. Zieve philosophically points out that “detoxification is a lifelong process. The body already knows how to do this. We just need to get out of the way and support it in doing what it already knows how to do.”

If you believe you have high levels of glyphosate poisoning in your body, you can also order a Glyphosate Environmental Exposure Test from Health Research Institute. It also screens from AMPA, the metabolite of glyphosate, at no extra cost.

A study published in the December 2014 issue of the Journal of Environmental & Analytical Toxicology found that by consuming the following substances, you can effectively reduce your urine levels of glyphosate (12):
    – Fulvic and humic acids
    – Activated charcoal
    – Bentonite clay
    – Sauerkraut juice

While this study was conducted on cows, it is important to note that there was significant reductions of glyphosate in urine following supplementation. Of course, the amounts they fed the cows were to make up for their weight. A normal serving of these detox items could very likely perform similar glyphosate detox effects in humans.

Other studies have found that certain plant extracts help restore CYP enzyme (mentioned above) activity often disrupted by glyphosate (13), as well as protect liver cells from glyphosate intoxication (14).

These plant extracts include:
    – Dandelion
    – Alder buckthorn
    – Radish
    – Milk thistle
    – Burdock root
    – Barberry
    – Greater celandine

Other suggestions to help eliminate glyphosate from the body are as follows:
    – Use infrared sauna for sweating out toxins
    – Consume probiotic-rich foods, or take a high-quality probiotic (I love Garden of Life brand)
    – Eat nutrient-dense whole foods, particularly raw, organic fruit and vegetables
    – Eat organic foods as much as possible
    – Avoid animal products like meat or dairy where GMO foods were used to feed the animals
    – Avoid using herbicides and pesticides on your lawn
    – Avoid consumption of GMO foods that are directly contaminated with glyphosate
    Quote How can I remove glyphosate from my body?

Glyphosate is the active ingredient in herbicides such as Roundup.

The degree to which glyphosate exposure represents a threat to human health is controversial, in part because most of the toxicology studies have been performed on animals and the results might not hold true for humans. [1]

Pharmacokinetics indicate 99% of the chemical is eliminated through the body’s metabolic processes within 7 days.[2] This suggests that occasional exposure is probably not a concern, however, chronic exposure could be.

Glyphosate has more than one metabolic pathway for elimination from the body, involving the liver and the kidneys. Animals studies have found signs of oxidative stress within the liver at low doses and found the levels of the body’s primary anti-oxidant, glutathione (GSH), were reduced. [3]

Based on these references and others I consulted, it appears to me that the body is efficient at getting rid of glyphosate but this efficiency comes at the expense of the body’s resources of anti-oxidants. Rather than focusing on how to get rid of glyphosate, I suggest you focus on restoring your anti-oxidant status.

Anti-oxidant restoration could be achieved through the following mechanisms:

reduce your exposure to glyphosate by consuming organically grown foods and filtered water
    support your body’s ability to make glutathione by
    consuming these sulfur-rich foods: dairy - especially whey protein, beef, fish, poultry, onions, garlic, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, watercress and mustard greens.
    making sure you get lots of vitamin C from sources like papaya and bell peppers. Ask your doctor if it’s okay for you to take a vitamin C supplement (some people with an enzyme deficiency cannot tolerate it). If it is safe for you, take 500 - 1000 mg per day.
    ensure you are getting enough selenium (needed as a cofactor for GSH production) by eating foods such as brown rice, cottage cheese and Brazil nuts.
    increase your intake of turmeric and talk to your healthcare provider about supplementing curcumin (a medicinally active constituent of turmeric associated with higher activity in GSH enzymes).
    talk to your healthcare provider about taking milk thistle. The medicinal ingredient silymarin has been shown to increase both increase GSH and prevent it’s depletion. If it is safe for you to take, a typical dose would be 150 mg three times per day for one month followed by 150 mg one time per day for one month. If your liver enzyme levels test in the normal range after 2 months of treatment, discontinue the supplement. If they are still high, continue at 150 mg once per day for up to 3 months.
    Don’t bother with oral glutathione supplements because they are very poorly absorbed. You could consider consulting a naturopathic doctor about treatment with nebulized GSH administered by inhalation.
    15 Ways to Raise Glutathione
    October 27, 2016

With so many man-made chemicals being released into our atmosphere, waterways, foods and medications today, you might wonder how your body even knows what to do with them. Relentless toxic exposures, poor diets, medication overuse, chronic stress and insufficient exercise compound our toxic burden and whittle away at our reserves. Fortunately, your body has wisely equipped itself with a natural detoxification system that relies primarily on one powerful antioxidant: glutathione.

Frankly, with today’s toxic onslaught, just about everyone benefits by boosting their glutathione levels — with food, supplements, or a few other tricks we’ll explore below.

Why is Glutathione the #1 Antioxidant in the Human Body?
    Glutathione (GSH) has long been called your “master antioxidant.”
    CLICK TO TWEET

When we think about increasing our antioxidant levels, we typically think of superfoods—but glutathione is different. Largely, your body must manufacture most of its own glutathione, requiring adequate amounts of three amino acids: cysteine, glutamate and glycine. Although some foods contain natural GSH, studies suggest relatively little of your glutathione reserves come from your diet because GSH doesn’t survive the digestive tract. This makes many oral glutathione supplements of questionable value. (We’ll get to that.)

To aid detoxification naturally, glutathione levels are the highest in your liver and kidneys, which are your body’s primary detoxification organs. Glutathione is important to your overall immune system, protecting your cells and mitochondria from the damaging effects of oxidative stress and helping keep inflammation at bay. As my friend and colleague, Dr. David Jockers, reports, every cell in your body faces as many as 10,000 free radical strikes per day—therefore, preventing damage is a formidable task. (1)

GSH is of particular importance for “Phase II detoxification,” where toxins are bound directly to glutathione (aka glutathione conjugation) so they can be eliminated from the body. However, GSH must sacrifice itself in the process—which is why you must continuously make more.

Glutathione is labelled the “master antioxidant” for its unique ability to “recycle” other antioxidants such as vitamins C and E, alpha lipoic acid and CoQ10, so they can be reused by your body. It follows that by increasing your GSH levels, you are effectively increasing many of your other antioxidants as well. (2)

What happens to Glutathione as we age?
    Glutathione levels tend to decline as we age, therefore deficiency is common among the elderly (3), and among alcoholics and athletes who overtrain. Individuals with the lowest GSH levels are 30 percent more likely to have a heart attack than those with the highest levels. (4). Essentially, the more glutathione your body can make, the healthier you will be—and some research suggests, the longer you will live. (5, 6)

The problem is that your body faces a number of challenges in maintaining adequate glutathione levels, which may explain why so many people today are battling toxicity-related diseases. We are bombarded daily with thousands of man-made chemicals that continuously use up our glutathione reserves, and most of us don’t derive enough glutathione (or its building blocks) from our daily diets to keep up. Detoxification is further challenged by the fact that nearly half of us may be missing one or more of the genes necessary to manufacture GSH. What happens when we don’t have enough GSH?

Glutathione deficiency is linked to a number of serious illnesses such as cancer, neurodegenerative diseases including Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s, cardiovascular and pulmonary diseases, arthritis, diabetes, cystic fibrosis, HIV infection and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome—and those are just for starters. (7, 8)

Glutathione deficiency is linked to serious illnesses e.g. cancer, Alzheimers, arthritis, etc.
    CLICK TO TWEET

If we can’t get enough of this uber-important antioxidant from our diets, then how do we increase it? The answer to this question will be the focus of this article, but first let’s take a closer look at glutathione’s important functions in your body.

Glutathione Grabs Toxins and Gives Them the Boot
    Glutathione is different from other antioxidants in that it’s intracellular, so it supports detoxification at the cellular level. (Extracellular, or systemic detoxification, is what people typically think of when it comes to detox … a kidney, liver, or bowel cleanse. Here, I’m talking about getting toxins out of your individual cells so that they can then be pulled from those systems.)

Although GSH plays a role in dozens of important biological operations, its benefits can generally be grouped into two broad categories: detoxification and immune support. (9)

By way of its plentiful sulfur, GSH can eliminate an impressive array of toxins (carcinogens, heavy metals, herbicides, pesticides, xenobiotics, radiation). It binds with them to form soluble compounds that can then be excreted through the urine or bile. Its sulfur atoms scavenge free radicals, transforming them into harmless compounds, such as water. For example, glutathione-mercury complexes are the primary way by which mercury is eliminated from your body. If you consume a great deal of fish, the total mercury retained in your tissues directly depends on your glutathione stores. (10, 11, 12)

This is why your body must continuously replenish its GSH by making more. If you become deficient, toxins can build up—a bit like overflowing dumpsters during a garbage strike.

The best example of glutathione’s unique binding power is illustrated by its role in the treatment of Tylenol (acetaminophen) overdose. Since cysteine is the limiting factor in how much glutathione your body can produce, overdose patients are given an IV containing the amino acid N-acetyl cysteine, or NAC, which triggers a sudden flood of glutathione production. This deluge of GSH to the liver flushes out the acetaminophen and can be the difference between life and death, between full recovery and living with a severely damaged liver.

Your brain is very susceptible to oxidative stress due to its high fat composition and oxygen requirements. Although your brain makes up only two percent of your body weight, it consumes 20 percent of your oxygen. Strong oxidation defenses reduce inflammation levels in the body—including the brain—and we know that brain inflammation is a factor in many neurodegenerative diseases. This may explain why glutathione deficiency is common in diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. One meta-analysis detected a possible link between GSH deficiency and autism. (13)

Glutathione plays a role in countless biological operations, a few of which are outlined below. Keep in mind that these are just the tip of the iceberg.

Maintains energy, strong athletic performance and recovery
    Reduces muscle pain
    Helps synthesize proteins, and aids transport of amino acid into and out of cells
    Sleep quality
    Skin health
    Helps regulate homocysteine
    Enhances immune function (leukotrienes, T-cells, macrophages, etc.)
    Makes medications more bioavailable; enhances efficacy and modulates side effects of chemotherapy and radiation (14)
    Induces cancer cell death (apoptosis) (15)
    Acts as cofactor (“helper”) in many enzymatic reactions
    Boosting Your Glutathione Production Naturally
    It is difficult to optimize GSH levels through diet alone. A large percentage of oral glutathione breaks down and oxidizes in your digestive tract, with only a small fraction making it into your bloodstream, tissues and cells.

Nevertheless, you can increase your glutathione levels to some degree by consuming foods rich in glutathione and its building blocks. A variety of foods, vitamins, minerals and herbs have been scientifically shown to work. We should be getting 250 milligrams of dietary GSH daily, but the standard American diet contains a paltry 35 milligrams. Researchers tested a variety of foods for their GSH content and drew the following conclusion in a report published in the journal Nutrition and Cancer:

Dairy products, cereals, and breads are generally low in GSH; fruits and vegetables have moderate to high amounts of GSH; and freshly prepared meats are relatively high in GSH. Frozen foods generally had GSH contents similar to fresh foods, whereas other forms of processing and preservation generally resulted in extensive loss of GSH. (16)

Cooking raw vegetables destroys nearly 100 percent of their usable GSH. Similarly, the glutathione stores available in meat, dairy, and eggs, are only significant when the foods are consumed raw. It’s unlikely you’ll be consuming large quantities of raw meat and eggs, but have no fear—it turns out the top ten glutathione-containing foods are actually plants: (17)

Asparagus
    Avocado
    Spinach
    Okra
    Broccoli
    Cantaloupe
    Tomato
    Carrot
    Grapefruit
    Orange
    Other foods may boost your GSH levels by providing the nutritional building blocks to support your body’s own GSH production. Sulfur-rich cruciferous vegetables are great for this (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, etc.). (18) Others include garlic, onions, parsley, spinach, beets, curcumin (turmeric), cinnamon, cardamom and black cumin. High-cysteine foods are also beneficial. Raw dairy is the best source of cysteine, but also undenatured raw whey protein. (19) Not surprisingly, GSH is almost entirely absent in pasteurized dairy. On a side note, a ketogenic diet was shown to increase mitochondrial glutathione in rats, but human studies are lacking. (20)

Other nutritional compounds play important roles in glutathione synthesis—your body can’t make GSH without them:

Vitamin C: Vitamin C is glutathione’s number one “crime-fighting cohort,” working with GSH to purge water-soluble toxins from your body. Vitamin C raises glutathione levels by helping your body manufacture it, and glutathione helps recycle vitamin C.
    Vitamin D (plus zinc): Vitamin D appears to increase glutathione production. In a rat study, GSH levels tripled when the rats were given vitamin D. However, the zinc-deficient rats did not make as much GSH as rats with adequate zinc. (21)
    Sulfur: Sulfur is a key compound in GSH, which is why cruciferous vegetables are so beneficial. MSM (methylsulfonylmethane) can be used for additional sulfur. In animal studies, MSM is shown to promote glutathione synthesis and upregulate the activity of glutathione enzymes.
    B vitamins: Vitamins B1, B2, B6 and B12 are required for synthesis of glutathione. Folate (B9) is able to divert cysteine preferentially towards glutathione and away from homocysteine.
    Selenium and Magnesium: Along with vitamin E, selenium is required for your body to manufacture GSH. The best source of selenium is Brazil nuts, and you only need two or three per day. Magnesium is also required for glutathione synthesis.
    Alpha lipoic acid (ALA): ALA is important for recycling GSH and restoring its levels after depletion. Food sources of ALA include organ meats and spinach, although the human body has difficulty extracting it from foods, so the majority must be produced.
    Green tea, fish oil, and resveratrol: These substances have been found to switch on the genes responsible for glutathione synthesis.
    Milk thistle: A source of silymarin, milk thistle stimulates the growth and regeneration of liver cells by helping prevent glutathione depletion in the liver.
    Are There Any Glutathione Supplements Worth Taking?
    Glutathione is rapidly broken down in the digestive tract, so supplementation is tricky.

Oral supplementation has been the subject of much debate as studies are inconsistent and technology is evolving. The studies showing effectiveness tend to involve higher doses and longer treatment duration. (22, 23) Intravenous GSH has been successful for some, but it’s less practical, expensive, and presents only a temporary fix. IV glutathione is better reserved for extreme situations—like getting a jump when your car battery is totally dead.

A while back, though oral GSH supplements and injections were found largely ineffective, recent biotechnology now gives us better options. Research supports the efficacy of the following four strategies for glutathione supplementation, so my recommendation would be to experiment and see what works best for you.

1. N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)

As already discussed, NAC is a precursor to glutathione. Research supports the effectiveness of NAC in upregulating glutathione levels, but the effect tends to be temporary with GSH levels dropping below baseline afterward. NAC also has some reported risks and side effects (nausea, diarrhea, muscle cramps, and others ref). NAC is probably the least optimal of the four supplements, but I’m including it for the sake of completeness.

Recommended Dosage: 400-1200 mg per day, in 2-3 dosages, with or without food.

2. Glutathione Intra-Oral Spray

Glutathione sprays have been shown as effective in increasing intracellular GSH levels. They are rapidly absorbed through oral mucus membranes, largely bypassing the digestive tract.

3. Liposomal Glutathione

Liposomal glutathione—meaning glutathione combined with liposomes—is an excellent option. The liposomes help the glutathione survive your digestive tract in order to make it to your cells. Be sure to avoid the varieties that use soy lecithin, opting for sunflower lecithin instead.

Recommended Dosage: 200-500 mg taken 1-2 times daily, away from food

4. Acetylated Glutathione

The acetylated form is quite similar to liposomal glutathione in that it also survives the gut and makes it into your cells, but it has an additional advantage. Acetylated GSH is cleaved by cellular enzymes, so utilizing it requires no energy expenditure by your body. My personal favorite is the S-acetylated form due its superior bioavailability compared to NAC and liposomal glutathione.

Recommended Dosage: 200-500 mg taken 1-2 times daily, away from food

Ultimately, the best way to determine which method works best for you is to test your body’s levels of GSH, before and after supplementation over a period of time.

One thing we know for sure: Exercise Boosts Glutathione
    If you wish to boost your glutathione naturally, get off your butt. The first longitudinal study measuring the effect of exercise on glutathione levels found a positive connection—physical activity increased glutathione. A combination of cardio and weight training was most effective. (24)

The effect of exercise is not surprising when you consider it’s the number one way to increase the number of mitochondria in your muscles, for increased energy and ATP. Synthesis of macromolecules like GSH is energy-intensive. If your GSH is low, then chances are your cellular ATP is also low. Glutathione depletion can also cause ATP shortage, as was found by a study in Journal of Biological Chemistry. (25)

If you want higher glutathione levels without turning to a supplement, you have to get your body to make more, and this requires providing it with the right building blocks and ample energy to fuel the operation. Moving your body, improving your diet and reducing your toxic load are the best strategies for accomplishing the task.

Do not use the information on this website or in Dr. Hardick’s seminars to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or to determine your need for medication or treatment. Always consult your healthcare professional before adjusting any diet, exercise or medical regimens. Nothing contained in this website should be considered complete or instructional for medical diagnosis or treatment. Click here to read the complete disclaimer.

pinterest_15-ways-to-boost-your-glutathione

Dr. B.J. Hardick
    About Dr. B.J. Hardick
    Raised in a holistic family, Dr. B.J. Hardick is a Doctor of Chiropractic, organic foodie and fanatic for green living and earthly sustainability. He has spent the majority of his life working in natural health care.
    Last edited by Delight; 22nd May 2019 at 04:55.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (23rd May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (22nd May 2019)

35. Link to Post #18
    Thanks

Glyphosate and How to Detox It with Dr. Stephanie Seneff

Transcript pdf

Quote Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases II: Celiac sprue and gluten intolerance.
    Samsel A1, Seneff S2

Celiac disease, and, more generally, gluten intolerance, is a growing problem worldwide, but especially in North America and Europe, where an estimated 5% of the population now suffers from it. Symptoms include nausea, diarrhea, skin rashes, macrocytic anemia and depression. It is a multifactorial disease associated with numerous nutritional deficiencies as well as reproductive issues and increased risk to thyroid disease, kidney failure and cancer. Here, we propose that glyphosate, the active ingredient in the herbicide, Roundup(®), is the most important causal factor in this epidemic. Fish exposed to glyphosate develop digestive problems that are reminiscent of celiac disease. Celiac disease is associated with imbalances in gut bacteria that can be fully explained by the known effects of glyphosate on gut bacteria. Characteristics of celiac disease point to impairment in many cytochrome P450 enzymes, which are involved with detoxifying environmental toxins, activating vitamin D3, catabolizing vitamin A, and maintaining bile acid production and sulfate supplies to the gut. Glyphosate is known to inhibit cytochrome P450 enzymes. Deficiencies in iron, cobalt, molybdenum, copper and other rare metals associated with celiac disease can be attributed to glyphosate's strong ability to chelate these elements. Deficiencies in tryptophan, tyrosine, methionine and selenomethionine associated with celiac disease match glyphosate's known depletion of these amino acids. Celiac disease patients have an increased risk to non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which has also been implicated in glyphosate exposure. Reproductive issues associated with celiac disease, such as infertility, miscarriages, and birth defects, can also be explained by glyphosate. Glyphosate residues in wheat and other crops are likely increasing recently due to the growing practice of crop desiccation just prior to the harvest. We argue that the practice of "ripening" sugar cane with glyphosate may explain the recent surge in kidney failure among agricultural workers in Central America. We conclude with a plea to governments to reconsider policies regarding the safety of glyphosate residues in foods.
    Quote Glyphosate, pathways to modern diseases III: Manganese, neurological diseases, and associated pathologies
    Anthony Samsel and Stephanie Seneff1,*

Manganese (Mn) is an often overlooked but important nutrient, required in small amounts for multiple essential functions in the body. A recent study on cows fed genetically modified Roundup®-Ready feed revealed a severe depletion of serum Mn. Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup®, has also been shown to severely deplete Mn levels in plants. Here, we investigate the impact of Mn on physiology, and its association with gut dysbiosis as well as neuropathologies such as autism, Alzheimer's disease (AD), depression, anxiety syndrome, Parkinson's disease (PD), and prion diseases. Glutamate overexpression in the brain in association with autism, AD, and other neurological diseases can be explained by Mn deficiency. Mn superoxide dismutase protects mitochondria from oxidative damage, and mitochondrial dysfunction is a key feature of autism and Alzheimer’s. Chondroitin sulfate synthesis depends on Mn, and its deficiency leads to osteoporosis and osteomalacia. Lactobacillus, depleted in autism, depend critically on Mn for antioxidant protection. Lactobacillus probiotics can treat anxiety, which is a comorbidity of autism and chronic fatigue syndrome. Reduced gut Lactobacillus leads to overgrowth of the pathogen, Salmonella, which is resistant to glyphosate toxicity, and Mn plays a role here as well. Sperm motility depends on Mn, and this may partially explain increased rates of infertility and birth defects. We further reason that, under conditions of adequate Mn in the diet, glyphosate, through its disruption of bile acid homeostasis, ironically promotes toxic accumulation of Mn in the brainstem, leading to conditions such as PD and prion diseases.

Keywords: Autism, cholestasis, glyphosate, manganese, Parkinson's disease
    Go to:
    INTRODUCTION
    Glyphosate is the active ingredient in Roundup®, the most widely used herbicide on the planet.[314] Glyphosate enjoys widespread usage on core food crops, in large part because of its perceived nontoxicity to humans. The adoption of genetically engineered “Roundup®-Ready” corn, soy, canola, cotton, alfalfa, and sugar beets has made it relatively easy to control weeds without killing the crop plant, but this means that glyphosate will be present as a residue in derived foods. Unfortunately, weeds among GM Roundup®-Ready crops are developing ever-increasing resistance to Roundup®,[107,221] which requires an increased rate of herbicide application.[26] In 1987, glyphosate was the 17th most commonly used herbicide in the United States, but, in large part due to the introduction of glyphosate-resistant core crops, it became the number one herbicide by 2001.[146] Its usage has increased steadily since then, in step with the rise in autism rates. Glyphosate's perceived nontoxicity is predicated on the assumption that our cells do not possess the shikimate pathway, the biological pathway in plants, which is disrupted by glyphosate, and whose disruption is believed to be the most important factor in its toxicity.

It may seem implausible that glyphosate could be toxic to humans, given the fact that government regulators appear nonchalant about steadily increasing residue limits, and that the levels in food and water are rarely monitored by government agencies, presumably due to lack of concern. However, a paper by Antoniou et al.[12] provided a scathing indictment of the European regulatory process regarding glyphosate's toxicity, focusing on potential teratogenic effects. They identified several key factors leading to a tendency to overlook potential toxic effects. These include using animal studies that are too short or have too few animals to achieve statistical significance, disregarding in vitro studies or studies with exposures that are higher than what is expected to be realistically present in food, and discarding studies that examine the effects of glyphosate formulations rather than pure glyphosate, even though formulations are a more realistic model of the natural setting and are often orders of magnitude more toxic than the active ingredient in pesticides.[189] Regulators also seemed unaware that chemicals that act as endocrine disruptors (such as glyphosate[108]) often have an inverted dose–response relationship, wherein very low doses can have more acute effects than higher doses. Teratogenic effects have been demonstrated in human cell lines.[212] An in vitro study showed that glyphosate in parts per trillion can induce human breast cancer cell proliferation.[289]more here

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (23rd May 2019), Olam (22nd May 2019), onawah (22nd May 2019), william r sanford72 (22nd May 2019)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Water filtration?

Quote Independent Lab Testing: Big Berkey® Removes 100% Glyphosate from Water
    by David on March 19, 2019 in Berkey® Water Purifier

On February 12, 2019, Mike Adams, director of Consumer Wellness Center Labs (CWC Labs), released results of independent lab testing to show that the Big Berkey® Water Purification System was one of two gravity-fed water filtration systems that removed 100% of glyphosate from water containing the debated carcinogen. In the video, the Big Berkey® System was configured with (2) Black Berkey Elements and (2) PF2 Fluoride & Arsenic Reduction Elements.

In the 21 minute video, Mike discusses the technical equipment and processes used to run the tests which included several sport bottle water filters, filtration pitchers, and gravity-fed countertop systems. The water used had a dilution of 2 parts per million (ppm) of 41% glyphosate “concentrate weed & grass killer”.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (23rd May 2019), william r sanford72 (22nd May 2019)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Constance (23rd May 2019), william r sanford72 (22nd May 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast