+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Billion Year Old Fungi

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member James's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 times in 174 posts

Default The Billion Year Old Fungi

To quote a legend - “Stuff just keeps on getting older.”

The ancestor to Paul Stamets’ hat may have finally been found.

In a recent paper published in Nature, researchers put forth the discovery of microfossils that date back 900 million years - possibly even one billion years - proving fungi were thriving much deeper into Earth’s early history than previously thought.

The fossils discovered were found embedded in rock and made up of chitin, a component found in fungi cells. The scientists tested the surrounding rock and were able to land on a range of dates for the fungi fossils.

Earth’s early history is rich with unique varieties of fungi shaping ecosystems. Some 400 million years ago, large cone-like fungi called Prototaxites reached toward the sky at incredible heights of 24 feet. This was during a period where the tallest trees barely made it beyond three or four feet tall.

Our environment continues to be influenced by fungi. Armillaria ostoyae, nicknamed, the Humongous Fungus, currently spans 2,385 acres beneath the Malheur National Forest in Oregon. It thrives by leeching nutrients from tree roots, causing them to slowly die and decay.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

conk (29th May 2019), Constance (24th May 2019), DeDukshyn (25th May 2019), Did You See Them (24th May 2019), EFO (25th May 2019), Ioneo (24th May 2019), Jad (24th May 2019), Mark (24th May 2019), Matt P (30th May 2019), Nasu (25th May 2019), Pam (25th May 2019), Sunny-side-up (25th May 2019), toppy (24th May 2019), transliminal (31st May 2019), william r sanford72 (24th May 2019), XelNaga (27th May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Default Re: The Billion Year Old Fungi

This thread didn't get much traction, but I'll recommend Paul Stamet's Joe Rogan interview if you haven't seen it.

Fungi are intelligent, perhaps from a distance place in space. Stamet's theorizes fungi created the world above ground as a feeding source for themselves.
    A single fungus can be immense in size, truly large beyond imagination.
    Portabella mushrooms are poison. When asked why, Mr. Stamet says he can't talk about it or "they" will kill him.

So, so much more.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Constance (29th May 2019), James (29th May 2019), PurpleLama (29th May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member James's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 times in 174 posts

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    This thread didn't get much traction, but I'll recommend Paul Stamet's Joe Rogan interview if you haven't seen it.

Fungi are intelligent, perhaps from a distance place in space. Stamet's theorizes fungi created the world above ground as a feeding source for themselves.
    Portabella mushrooms are poison. When asked why, Mr. Stamet says he can't talk about it or "they" will kill him.
    Thanks - I’ll have to check it out!

From the few podcasts I’ve listened to, Joe Rogan is a stellar interviewer and host, in such a natural and unassuming way.

Regarding portobello mushrooms, I wonder if Paul was referring to the mycotoxin agaritine in them? It’s carcinogenic, and takes a while to cook out of the mushrooms, I believe. Maybe it’s something else entirely different.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

conk (30th May 2019), Constance (29th May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Quote Posted by Variant (here)

From the few podcasts I’ve listened to, Joe Rogan is a stellar interviewer and host, in such a natural and unassuming way.

Regarding portobello mushrooms, I wonder if Paul was referring to the mycotoxin agaritine in them? It’s carcinogenic, and takes a while to cook out of the mushrooms, I believe. Maybe it’s something else entirely different.
    Here you are Variant. The full episode

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

conk (30th May 2019), James (29th May 2019), Matt P (30th May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by Variant (here)

Stamets did say that if you consume portabellas to cook them for a long, long time. The odd thing is why anyone would threaten him for saying as much. Who has an interest in selling these mushrooms and is powerful enough and crazy enough to murder? The conversation between Staments and Rogan was odd. Rogan pushed him on why they shouldn't be eaten and Stamets simply shook his head and said he can't talk about it. Hmmmm.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

+ Reply to Thread