+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spiritual Weight Training and Becoming a Peaceful Warrior with Dan Millman

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Whisper's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,427 times in 377 posts

Exclamation Spiritual Weight Training and Becoming a Peaceful Warrior with Dan Millman

I find it very interesting to listen to what Dan has to say.

I read his first book...the peaceful warrior...which appeard in my bookshelf in a mystery way....I still dont know how it got there.....and it did effect my life in a very positive way.....I did learn a lot out of it.

There is a movie of this first book also, but it does not really match the book. To much parts are missing or got changed in the movie....it is just not the same.....
    Last edited by Whisper; 28th May 2019 at 12:58.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Whisper For This Post:

DeDukshyn (29th May 2019), Delight (29th May 2019), holistic1 (28th May 2019), Ioneo (28th May 2019), johnf (28th May 2019), Rahkyt (31st May 2019), Stardad (29th May 2019), sunwings (28th May 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks

Default Re: Spiritual Weight Training and Becoming a Peaceful Warrior with Dan Millman

Thank you, Whisper.
    I was also very impressed by The Peaceful Warrior.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toppy For This Post:

johnf (28th May 2019), Whisper (28th May 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,177 times in 451 posts

Default Re: Spiritual Weight Training and Becoming a Peaceful Warrior with Dan Millman

Thanks for reminding us about this man. I read his book a long time ago and it had a real imapact on me. Now I think I will read it again...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

DeDukshyn (29th May 2019), toppy (29th May 2019), Whisper (28th May 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,278 times in 1,106 posts

Thanks for this reminder Whisper of my experiences with Dan Millman's story.
    I remember finishing The Sacred Journey of the peaceful Warrior in 1991-1992.
    There were some gems in that one about the three selves that has been a theme in my journey since
    sometime before that.
    I really was hoping to see that 3rd book in the next few years, he mentions it at the end of the second.
    Instead I have been directed to focus on ordinariness.

There was another book that was more practical called "There Are No Ordinary Moments".
    That title was taken from the result of one of Socrates assignments to Dan to come up with an original thought.
    I am still using that pointer to bring my attention back to the magic of the everyday tasks and feelings of not being enough
    that cause me to to try to escape the present. I watched a bit of the interview and have marked it for more viewing.

John
    "I am fascinated by religion. (That's a completely different thing from believing in it!)" Douglas Adams

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnf For This Post:

Rahkyt (31st May 2019), toppy (29th May 2019), Whisper (28th May 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

It is still somhow magical ...for me..how I came to his first book...and the true story...which made Dan start to write about it....

One day his first book.."the peaceful warrior" just was standing in my book shelf. And believe me...I knew all my books, because I read them again and again...and I did not buy or borrow this one..... None of my friends did ever hear of Dan Millman...I asked them. I was living by myself at this time...being a single mother. And this was a german translation of Dan`s book. I still got the book..but not with me right now. It is stored with all my other things until I am settled and then I will have all my stuffs send over.

I did read more of Dans books later on...but don`t remember the titels right now. Very amazing I found the one he wrote..about his expiriences he made on the hawaiian islands also......because I am connected to the islands long time already....

and listen to him in interviews is always very interesting to me also...

The movie has some good parts...but you dont really catch many of the important points of this true story, if you did not read the book before watching it. And to much is different than in the book. Dan doing a different sport there.for example..in the book he did write about jumping trampolin...which is a very special sport...(I was doing myself for many years)....

and then I think Nick Nolte, a exellent actor.(no question about it).....but for this role I find, not the best match to play the part of Socrates...a spiritual teacher.....

so I would not recommend the movie...but surely his book or books, which are very amazing.......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Whisper For This Post:

toppy (29th May 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 31,936 times in 6,896 posts

I had a couple Dan Millman books back in the day. He's pretty good. I'd recommend him for anyone who is willing to get a bit serious about ascending on their self journeys (I hate the term self help or self improvement, so that sounds much better )
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

toppy (29th May 2019), Whisper (30th May 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread