+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A possible example of Chinese backdoor obsolescence

1. Link to Post #1
    Canada Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Default A possible example of Chinese backdoor obsolescence

I have had a curiosity with most things in life. I follow this site daily for insights I may appreciate. Here's one for you. If you've experienced similar instances, I'd like to hear.
    My Chinese surveillance DVR works great for 5 years. Then, everyday, the language resets back to Chinese and I get a big PAL/NTSC ERROR across the middle of the screen.

I'm not a Nube at these things. I can reset everything back to normal, but it keeps insisting on Chinese as my first language and PAL as my video standard.
    You might say, well the backup battery is dead. Again, I'm not a Nube. Power failure every day?. Backup battery is fine.

The unit works fine if I don't mind resetting the PAL/ NTSC error every day, but my first response was, Hmm,.... the thing's Fu#kd. Might as well buys another one.

Could be many things. Just asking if this rises to the level of a a pattern with anyone else.
    Last edited by mijatoca; 3rd June 2019 at 04:07.

2. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

Default Re: A possible example of Chinese backdoor obsolescence

Very irritating, planned obsolescence.

Not that it will help your situation, but have you seen "The Lightbulb Conspiracy", about planned obsolescence?

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

BMJ (3rd June 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), meeradas (3rd June 2019), Pam (3rd June 2019), RunningDeer (3rd June 2019), Sunny-side-up (3rd June 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Maknocktomb's Avatar
    Thanks

Planned obsolescence is a major factor in the auto industry to support their dealer networks. Auto dealerships biggest profit center is the service department.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maknocktomb For This Post:

BMJ (3rd June 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), enigma3 (3rd June 2019), Le Chat (3rd June 2019), Pam (3rd June 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019)

6. Link to Post #4
    Germany Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,027 times in 268 posts

Perhaps a battery died in the device, that is needed to store the settings.
    I have this issue with all of my digital musical instruments every few years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Olaf For This Post:

Pam (3rd June 2019)

8. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,014 times in 784 posts

I am planning on purchasing another vehicle.....I want a pre 80's ( preferably) "no tech" diesel car....that may be I could fix myself.
    Today's vehicles are so entrenched with electronics and software they are just way too susceptible to failure on so many different levels....and BONUS it does not spy and track my conversations and movements.....if I need/want any "toys" I could add them myself......also why I have a 1980's boat....which is also diesel.

No it is not the "best" choice environmentally but I can play into converting them to electric diesel hybrids...or biofuels etc ....MUCH more easily than with my new LandRover which is in the shop twice monthly....( company car, not my choice)

Less parts moving, less to fix or repair.....just finding the right one is a bit of a puzzle for me....

I also find that planned obsolescence is not the only factor at play "upgrading" to latest and greatest tech also plays a role....I still have 4 VCR and lots of VHS and betamax movies.....and no 4K DVD movies. Just am not paying all over again for the 4th time for content I already bought.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Constance (3rd June 2019), EFO (3rd June 2019), KiwiElf (3rd June 2019), Pam (3rd June 2019)

10. Link to Post #6
    New Zealand Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,520 times in 5,690 posts

Quote Posted by CurEus (here)
    I am planning on purchasing another vehicle.....I want a pre 80's ( preferably) "no tech" diesel car....that may be I could fix myself.
    Today's vehicles are so entrenched with electronics and software they are just way too susceptible to failure on so many different levels....and BONUS it does not spy and track my conversations and movements.....if I need/want any "toys" I could add them myself......also why I have a 1980's boat....which is also diesel.

No it is not the "best" choice environmentally but I can play into converting them to electric diesel hybrids...or biofuels etc ....MUCH more easily than with my new LandRover which is in the shop twice monthly....( company car, not my choice)

Less parts moving, less to fix or repair.....just finding the right one is a bit of a puzzle for me....

I also find that planned obsolescence is not the only factor at play "upgrading" to latest and greatest tech also plays a role....I still have 4 VCR and lots of VHS and betamax movies.....and no 4K DVD movies. Just am not paying all over again for the 4th time for content I already bought.
    VW Beetle or Kombi - the original (engine in the back) - go forever, tons of parts and you can honk them up, (not diesel but they can be adapted to many other different fuels, or electric if you really want to shell out the $$ - it ain't cheap.

And they are going up in value ... HEAPS!).

11. Link to Post #7
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

Quote Posted by Dennis Leahy (here)
    Very irritating, planned obsolescence.

Not that it will help your situation, but have you seen "The Lightbulb Conspiracy", about planned obsolescence?

It appears that the west is once again the originator and China the copy cat :}

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Pam (3rd June 2019)

+ Reply to Thread