Thread: I'll sleep when I'm dead

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,438 times in 3,321 posts

Default I'll sleep when I'm dead

Sleep. We all need it. Some of us seem to need more of it, some of us seem to need less of it but it is the one thing that in today's modern society that we all cannot seem to get enough of.

Sleep is at the very heart and the foundation of our health and wellbeing.

Matthew Walker, a sleep neuroscientist and author of Why We Sleep, explains why sleep is one of the most critical aspects of our lives in this highly inspiring and educational chat with Joe Rogan. It is an absolute must-see for everyone. If you haven't yet read the book, it is an excellent companion to the video.

The bottom line is, according to Matthew, we need 7-9 hours sleep per night to be healthy and happy.

Matthew says that when we don't get enough sleep, a number of things can occur.
    • We crave more carbohydrates so we eat more. People sleeping 4-5 hours a night will on average eat 200-300 extra calories each day.
    • Our cognitive abilities decline - we experience low level brain damage
    • The ability of your lungs to expire CO2 and inhale oxygen decreases
    • The less you sleep, the faster you experience lactic acid build up
    • We can experience a 60% increase in the probability of injury if we compare people who get nine hours of sleep versus those who get five.
    • The lower your peak muscular strength, the lower your vertical jump height, and the lower your peak running speed
    • When you don't get enough sleep, your stability muscles fail earlier
    He also states that there are long term devastating consequences if you are a chronic insomniac or do not get the required 7-9 hours sleep on a regular basis.
    • The shorter your sleep on average, the shorter your lifespan
    • The less you sleep, the less ability your brain has to effectively clear the plaque build up inside your brain called beta amyloid. A build up of beta amyloid is one of the toxins responsible for the underlying mechanism of Alzheimers disease. Therefore, insufficient sleep is the most significant lifestyle factor for determining whether or not you will develop Alzheimers disease
    • Insufficient sleep is linked to bowl, prostate, and breast cancer
    There is a tiny fraction of the population, under one percent, who has a certain gene that allows them to survive on five hours of sleep but as Matthew Walker says, you are more likely to be struck by lightening than to have this gene.

Podcast notes here
    Last edited by Constance; 4th June 2019 at 23:13.

2. The Following 42 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Agape (3rd June 2019), Alan (4th June 2019), avid (3rd June 2019), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Bubu (3rd June 2019), DaveToo (5th June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), DeeMetrios (4th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Forest Denizen (4th July 2019), Franny (4th July 2019), Gracy (4th July 2019), greybeard (3rd June 2019), Hervé (3rd June 2019), Jad (3rd June 2019), James (4th June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (3rd June 2019), Kotch (4th July 2019), Krist (4th June 2019), Kryztian (3rd June 2019), liderr (3rd June 2019), Mark (3rd June 2019), meeradas (3rd June 2019), Mike (3rd June 2019), Nasu (5th June 2019), Omi (4th June 2019), Philippe (3rd June 2019), Rosemarie (3rd June 2019), RunningDeer (3rd June 2019), Seabreeze (4th June 2019), Star Tsar (4th June 2019), Strat (3rd June 2019), Sunny-side-up (3rd June 2019), T Smith (5th July 2019), Tam (4th July 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019), Valerie Villars (3rd June 2019), Violet3 (5th June 2019), Wind (3rd June 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,270 times in 2,725 posts

Default Re: I'll sleep when I'm dead

this is not correct in my case. when i am in top shape I tend to sleep very little. 4 to 5 hours maybe with an occasional 2 hours. this also the time when I ran faster jump higher and have max stamina. and yes I also tend to eat less. knowledge gurus seem to be wrong almost all the times in my case.

oh I also tend to look younger and my skin seems to glow when I sleep less eat less and exercise more. On top of it all my mind is much sharper. than when I sleep more. which can only mean that when I sleep more there is a need for more repair or my body has more damage or I am less healthy.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

avid (3rd June 2019), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), DaveToo (5th June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), DeeMetrios (4th July 2019), Denise/Dizi (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (3rd June 2019), Krist (4th June 2019), Kryztian (3rd June 2019), Rosemarie (3rd June 2019), Sunny-side-up (3rd June 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    this is not correct in my case. when i am in top shape I tend to sleep very little. 4 to 5 hours maybe with an occasional 2 hours. this also the time when I ran faster jump higher and have max stamina. and yes I also tend to eat less. knowledge gurus seem to be wrong almost all the times in my case.

oh I also tend to look younger and my skin seems to glow when I sleep less eat less and exercise more. On top of it all my mind is much sharper. than when I sleep more. which can only mean that when I sleep more there is a need for more repair or my body has more damage or I am less healthy.
    You might be one of the lucky few Bubu who have the gene where you require less sleep! Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by Constance; 3rd June 2019 at 08:11.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

avid (3rd June 2019), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), Denise/Dizi (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), James (4th June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (3rd June 2019), Krist (4th June 2019), Kryztian (3rd June 2019), Rosemarie (3rd June 2019), Sunny-side-up (3rd June 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,449 times in 32,921 posts

Quote Posted by Constance (here)
    Matthew Walker, a sleep neuroscientist and author of Why We Sleep
    Here:

8. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (3rd June 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), Denise/Dizi (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Forest Denizen (4th July 2019), Jad (3rd June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (3rd June 2019), Krist (4th June 2019), Mark (3rd June 2019), Rosemarie (3rd June 2019), RunningDeer (3rd June 2019), Seabreeze (4th June 2019), Tam (4th July 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019), Violet3 (5th June 2019), Yoda (4th June 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Constance (here)

You might be one of the lucky few Bubu who have the gene where you require less sleep! Thanks for sharing
    maybe not because I also sleep 8 hours or more when I ate a lot or when
    i neglect to exercise. think about this. sleep is for repair, for old bloke like me. if less repair is needed then less sleep is required. My point is when something is repeated, it normally is " lies repeated". So now a lot of people will lose sleep over not having enough sleep. Moreover one will sleep 8 hours if his body need to and sleep less if that is required by the body. forcing oneself to sleep 8 hours because many quack guru said so can lead to oversleep.
    I found it easier and healthier to simply go with the natural rhythm.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

avid (3rd June 2019), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Intranuclear (3rd June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (3rd June 2019), Krist (4th June 2019), Kryztian (3rd June 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,375 times in 475 posts

I average between 5 and 6 hours a night. I awake several times during the night, and whilst I'm always able to drop off again, I know that this isn't enough because I always feel not quite with it in the morning after I rise.
    However, I always take naps during the day - some may last only ten minutes. All in all, I think that the balance is right for me.

12. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Le Chat For This Post:

avid (3rd June 2019), Bill Ryan (3rd June 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Intranuclear (3rd June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (3rd June 2019), Rosemarie (3rd June 2019), toppy (3rd June 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

when I was younger already needing less sleep but subscribing to the 8 hours a day mantra, I can say its terrible believing and forcing myself to sleep when I already had enough. That is why I despise this mantra and try to caution everyone to just let it be.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Constance (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Intranuclear (3rd June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (3rd June 2019), Mark (3rd June 2019), Rosemarie (4th June 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Intranuclear's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,326 times in 360 posts

I have rarely slept for 8 hours or more in all of my life. Even as a baby, I would spend many hours watching my parents sleep. If I sleep more than 8 hours, which has happened, I feel almost suicidal, like the world is coming to an end. I have always been told I am weird by pretty much everyone. I personally don't know anyone else like myself, but clearly there are many others (Bubu). On average, I get less than 6 hours these days, but when younger, maybe 4 hours. As a consequence, I have watched tens of thousands of movies and shows and have read many thousands of books, have played insane amounts of video games, worked on crazy amounts of programs (computer) and electronic projects. I am always accused of exaggerating my work to the points where I have deleted most of my resume and don't bother telling anyone anymore, well, I guess except here now. When younger, I did spent countless hours daydreaming but much less now. Basically, nothing seems to happen fast enough.
    I have already waited over 40 years for UFO disclosure which surprisingly has gone backwards compared to 60 years ago.
    Meanwhile everyone around me gets old and dies and humanity feels like it is making giant backwards progress.
    Occasionally I see amazing human compassion and love which fuels me for a short while.
    In these days of such amazing technology, people still question if humans have walked on the moon while simultaneously stating that we have bases on the moon and Mars. The scientific community still doubts the existence of advanced life in this insanely ancient and nearly infinite universe(s) and religions still reign.

Thanks God (or gods) for dreamers out there and many in this forum!

PS. Sorry for the rant.

16. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Intranuclear For This Post:

avid (3rd June 2019), Axman (5th July 2019), Constance (3rd June 2019), Denise/Dizi (3rd June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), jjjones (3rd June 2019), johnf (4th June 2019), Krist (4th June 2019), Philippe (3rd June 2019), Rosemarie (4th June 2019), Strat (4th June 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member James's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 times in 174 posts

Interesting thread, Constance!

A few years ago, I spent a some time designing a boxed mattress for a large furniture company - one of those that come shipped with the air removed from the plastic packaging.

I ended up studying an awful lot about sleep in the process, learning from some interesting sleep scientists along the way.

The data is what the data is, but I can't help but wonder if our population parameter is slightly skewed on account of our average tending to include a vast majority of individuals with less than ideal health. Being completely unscientific here, but I suppose observation is the root of any good hypothesis, I've noticed that when someone begins eating a healthier diet and exercising regularly, they tend to need less sleep - myself included. I used to need closer to nine hours to feel rested, but now need around seven.

Maybe someone has already done this, but I'd love to see the parameter data on a large but more refined population - maybe comprised of individuals that report a certain fitness and nutrition criteria. I'd wonder if the curve would be shifted more toward seven hours with less of a variance.

I'd ponder this more, and probably make a bit more sense, but Variant needs his seven hours soon

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

Constance (4th June 2019), Dennis Leahy (4th July 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), johnf (4th June 2019), Rosemarie (4th June 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,819 times in 790 posts

I am one of those who needs at least 7 hours of sleep a night. I know I will have trouble falling asleep if I eat too late in the evening. It can also be a problem falling asleep If I have too much on my mind. I have learned a technique that helps you relax, lowers your blood pressure and help you fall asleep faster.

Breathe in through your nose deeply and expand your lungs fully. Hold the breath and count to 8. Release your breath through your mouth slowly to the count of 8. Repeat until you fall asleep.

20. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Jean-Marie (here)
    I am one of those who needs at least 7 hours of sleep a night. I know I will have trouble falling asleep if I eat too late in the evening. It can also be a problem falling asleep If I have too much on my mind. I have learned a technique that helps you relax, lowers your blood pressure and help you fall asleep faster.

Breathe in through your nose deeply and expand your lungs fully. Hold the breath and count to 8. Release your breath through your mouth slowly to the count of 8. Repeat until you fall asleep.
    Why yes! I am the same Jean-Marie. I need at least 7 hours sleep to be functioning at a normal level but if I get 8 or 9 hours sleep - look out!

Quote I have learned a technique that helps you relax, lowers your blood pressure and help you fall asleep faster.

Thank you so much for that technique Jean-Marie and for sharing your experience

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), Rosemarie (4th June 2019), Seabreeze (4th June 2019)

22. Link to Post #12
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Variant (here)
    I can't help but wonder if our population parameter is slightly skewed on account of our average tending to include a vast majority of individuals with less than ideal health. Being completely unscientific here, but I suppose observation is the root of any good hypothesis, I've noticed that when someone begins eating a healthier diet and exercising regularly, they tend to need less sleep - myself included. I used to need closer to nine hours to feel rested, but now need around seven.

Maybe someone has already done this, but I'd love to see the parameter data on a large but more refined population - maybe comprised of individuals that report a certain fitness and nutrition criteria. I'd wonder if the curve would be shifted more toward seven hours with less of a variance.
    That is a very interesting question that you pose there Variant. Thank you for that!

You could be well right in saying that a significant proportion of our worlds population are dealing with less than ideal health. I'd like to see a study(s) that reflects a group of individuals who are at their peak of fitness and eating a highly nutritional diet. It is definitely something worth researching. I'm glad to hear that you are in such great health

Just to add to this.

I am wondering what kind of sleeping habits and quality of sleep traditional tribes experience around the world vs our modern sleeping habits.

Sweet dreams Variant. May your sleep be long (all 7 hours of them) and blissful.
    Last edited by Constance; 4th June 2019 at 03:35.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Rosemarie (4th June 2019)

24. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

an interesting info on sleep pattern of geniuses.
    Nikola Tesla 2 hours each day
    Da Vinci Sleep Schedule’ and it involved him sleeping for brief periods – between 20 minutes and two hours per session. He slept like this multiple times during the day so that it totaled to about 5 hours in every 24
    Thomas Edison claim to sleep 2 hours each day with several power naps

https://www.thesleepjudge.com/the-st...reat-geniuses/

"Einstein is said to have slept punctually for 10 hours each night",
    this allege genius is once again the odd among geniuses. maybe he is not a genius at all just a theorist. but you see everywhere on the net he is the symbol of science and genius. the psyop is that good intentioned people will follow his lead to nothingness and uselessness.

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_einstein.htm

there are two psyops here that Im trying to expose. that almost all people needs 8 hours sleep and the fake genius. I would not want anyone to fall for this especially my dear friends.

sleep to your hearts content without worrying how many hours
    Last edited by Bubu; 4th June 2019 at 03:42.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

Constance (4th June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), Rosemarie (4th June 2019), Star Tsar (4th June 2019)

26. Link to Post #14
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

an interesting info on sleep pattern of geniuses.
    Nikola Tesla 2 hours each day
    Da Vinci Sleep Schedule’ and it involved him sleeping for brief periods – between 20 minutes and two hours per session. He slept like this multiple times during the day so that it totaled to about 5 hours in every 24
    Thomas Edison claim to sleep 2 hours each day with several power naps

https://www.thesleepjudge.com/the-st...reat-geniuses/

"Einstein is said to have slept punctually for 10 hours each night",
    this allege genius is once again the odd among geniuses. maybe he is not a genius at all just a theorist. but you see everywhere on the net he is the symbol of science and genius. the psyop is that good intentioned people will follow his lead to nothingness and uselessness.

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/esp_einstein.htm

there are two psyops here that Im trying to expose. that almost all people needs 8 hours sleep and the fake genius. I would not want anyone to fall for this especially my dear friends.

sleep to your hearts content without worrying how many hours
    Thank you for sharing your concerns here dear Bubu. I really do appreciate that you care so much about our fellow Avalonians.

I would just like to say that here at Avalon, I think we have some of the brightest hearts and minds. I honestly feel that we would be hard pressed to find anyone here who isn't taking the time to do their own research regarding whatever it is that they have a passion or a passing interest in.
    I would say that most of us - knowing what we know about the world here, would tend to have a healthy chunk of skepticism within us that is alive and well and kicking! We can always use the discernment and intuitions that we have and use them well.
    Last edited by Constance; 4th June 2019 at 04:24.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bubu (4th June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), Rosemarie (4th June 2019)

28. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 times in 640 posts

I have small children. I Do NOT sleep. I am sure this gentlemen is correct in what he is saying, but maybe what is more amazing is how millions of Parents are kicking ass everyday on four hours sleep only.

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sunwings For This Post:

Bubu (4th June 2019), Constance (4th June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), Iancorgi (5th July 2019), Le Chat (5th June 2019), naochan (4th June 2019), Star Tsar (4th June 2019)

30. Link to Post #16
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,691 times in 13,806 posts

A short exploration into how Narcolepsy affects the human brain...

Seeker

How Narcolepsy Messes With Your Brain

Published 4th June 2019

When you think of narcolepsy, you probably think of people falling asleep at seemingly random times, but it’s actually much more than that. It causes hallucinations, insomnia, sleep paralysis and can be triggered by moments of joy. Oh, and the key to understanding it came from studying man’s best friend.

Nice thread Constance!
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Constance (4th June 2019), Debra (4th June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019)

32. Link to Post #17
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,559 times in 5,028 posts

I sleep for 5 hours tops, sometimes only 4 hours. I fall asleep no problem when my head hits the pillow after a days graft, but I usually wake up in the middle of the night around 4 o'clock and can never get back to sleep. Every few weeks I sometimes manage a 7 hour sleep. When I am not working at weekends I can sleep for an hour in the afternoon.
    My average awake time is 20 hrs each day, 8 hours of that is physical work. I manage to function quite well with little sleep.
    When you express from a fearful heart in the now moment, You create a fearful future.
    When you express from a loving heart in the now moment, You create a loving future.

Have no fear, Be aware and live your lives journey from a compassionate caring nurturing heart to manifest a compassionate caring nurturing future. Billyji

Peace

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Billy For This Post:

Constance (4th June 2019), Jean-Marie (4th June 2019), sunwings (5th June 2019)

34. Link to Post #18
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Tsar (here)
    A short exploration into how Narcolepsy affects the human brain...

Seeker

How Narcolepsy Messes With Your Brain

Published 4th June 2019

When you think of narcolepsy, you probably think of people falling asleep at seemingly random times, but it’s actually much more than that. It causes hallucinations, insomnia, sleep paralysis and can be triggered by moments of joy. Oh, and the key to understanding it came from studying man’s best friend.

Nice thread Constance!
    Thank you

Wow! That was a really insightful video Star!! Thank you, thank you, thank you ever so much for sharing.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Star Tsar (4th June 2019)

36. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

To get enough sleep - is very important, I believe. It is to me. If I dont get enough sleep, I just dont feel well..all day. This is often the case...because I have a sleep apnoe....

It is not only important for all the body functions. As far as I know...while we sleep the cells renew. Babies grow while the sleep...I been told...

It is very important for the mind also. While we sleep the subconsciousness has to scan and work over all the impressions, emotions and actions, solve caused problems aso..more deeply..... which went on while we been up.

But everybody is unique...and some people need more, others less sleep....

If a person does not get the sleep he or she naturally needs, for a longer time frame....it can cause illnesses and mental problems......

I think it is very important to pay attention to our body/mind signes and to take care it good and give the body and mind what it needs to stay healthy....

If your body is talking to you....I am tired - please rest..you should listen and follow the advice....
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 4th June 2019 at 22:18.

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Constance (4th June 2019), Le Chat (5th June 2019), Strat (4th June 2019), sunwings (5th June 2019)

38. Link to Post #20
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Whisper (here)
    But everybody is unique...and some people need more, others less sleep....
    Agreed 100%. I think of the 'how many hours we need' kinda thing as a guideline. Adjust as needed. This also applies to diets.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Constance (4th June 2019), Seabreeze (4th June 2019), sunwings (5th June 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast