1. Link to Post #21
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

Default Re: I'll sleep when I'm dead

Sleeping for the sleep deprived

A personal observation I've made is that when I practise a regulation, routine and ritual around sleep I am provided with the balance I need to help me to get through the day feeling energised and refreshed.

This helpful little video provides remedies for those who are sleep deprived and offers good common sense sleep hygiene.

ACTION ITEMS:
    1. @10:00 Go to sleep at same time each night.
    2. @11:50 Have a pre-sleep ritual: Set up clothes for next day, lock all doors, close windows, check thermostat, turn out lights, brush teeth, shower etc.
    3. @12:30 Develop skills around relaxation eg. meditation or yoga etc.
    4. @ 37:25 The POWER acronym for better sleep.

FACTS:
    • Power naps longer than 20 minutes starts a deep sleep momentum and that takes about 1 hour to recover and fully awake from it.
    • Caffeine counters sleep pressure, by masking the build up on adenosine. (which makes us feel tired)
    • Sleep debt takes a toll on our brain's cognitive functions.
    • Routines in our rest/awake cycle helps our body to product melatonin.
    • Alcohol makes sleep worse.

TECHNIQUES TO COUNTER INSOMNIA:

Too stressed to sleep? What is helpful is to remove the fear around sleep.
    • Cognitive techniques eg. putting the day to rest.
    • Behavioral techniques - the 1/4 hour rule
    • Take back your control of sleep with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

• Workouts are not recommended prior to sleep because it raises the body temperature, but this can be countered by cooling the room.
    • Varying sleep duration on week vs weekend gives you a bit of a jet lag. It is always better to build up a rhythm in your sleep cycle.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), ByTheNorthernSea (5th July 2019), James (4th July 2019), Rosemarie (4th July 2019), Sunny-side-up (4th July 2019), Valerie Villars (4th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Ecuador Avalon Member Rosemarie's Avatar
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 311 posts

I guess each of us have our own routine that works. For me I have to feel peace , so no noise in my bedroom, no music or tv ) my bed has to be made and the sheets cold to the touch. I need also a cold room so 1 hour before going to sleep I turn the a/c on. ( live in a tropical city ) Take a hot shower ( no bath tub ) put my pj’s and get into bed to read for 1-2 hours. Sleep like a baby for 7 hours.

The only difference during the weekend is that I like to stay in bed longer , but still wake up at the same time which annoys me ! I would like to sleep longer...... but good to know that doing it can bring a little jet lag and better to stick to getting up at the same time.

We are supposed to dream every night. I never ever remember what I dream. Sometimes for a second, the minute I wake up I might remember a tiny bit , but It is gone as soon as it came. Any help there ?
    "Be kind for everybody is fighting a great battle" Plato

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Constance (4th July 2019), Forest Denizen (4th July 2019), Strat (4th July 2019), ulli (4th July 2019), Valerie Villars (4th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member Valerie Villars's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,435 times in 2,846 posts

Keep a notebook, pen and flashlight by your bed and reach for it immediately upon awakening. You will be surprised after you do that for a while and then go back and read your dreams.

Like Joseph Campbell says "Your dreams are your myths." There's a wealth of knowledge inside of you.

You cracked me up with your cold sheets, etc. Rosemarie. I'm the same way. Have a lovely day.
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone when we are uncool." From the movie "Almost Famous""l "Let yourself stand cool and composed before a million universes." Walt Whitman

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Valerie Villars For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Constance (4th July 2019), Forest Denizen (4th July 2019), Rosemarie (4th July 2019), Strat (4th July 2019), ulli (4th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Australia Avalon Member DeeMetrios's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,324 times in 229 posts

great thread Constance with a "punch line" that drew me in .

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeeMetrios For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Constance (4th July 2019), Rosemarie (4th July 2019), ulli (4th July 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Rosemarie (here)
    I guess each of us have our own routine that works. For me I have to feel peace , so no noise in my bedroom, no music or tv ) my bed has to be made and the sheets cold to the touch. I need also a cold room so 1 hour before going to sleep I turn the a/c on. ( live in a tropical city ) Take a hot shower ( no bath tub ) put my pj’s and get into bed to read for 1-2 hours. Sleep like a baby for 7 hours.

The only difference during the weekend is that I like to stay in bed longer , but still wake up at the same time which annoys me ! I would like to sleep longer...... but good to know that doing it can bring a little jet lag and better to stick to getting up at the same time.
    100% the same for me.

We are supposed to dream every night. I never ever remember what I dream. Sometimes for a second, the minute I wake up I might remember a tiny bit , but It is gone as soon as it came. Any help there ?
    I agree with Valerie: keep a dream journal. You must write down what you remember immediately upon awakening, that's the key. You can't use the bathroom first or anything, literally sit up, grab a pen and pad, then start writing down what you remember. Even if it's only very brief, write it down.

It really is monotonous but it works. I assume the results vary from person to person but the process is the same: first you begin to remember more of your dreams (dream recall). So if you typically only remember seconds of your dream upon wakening, only to be forgotten, you will start to notice that you remember more of your dreams and they don't vanish from your memory so quickly. Whereas you used to only remember a few seconds, you will be able to remember 30 seconds, then minutes, etc.

From there your dreams become vivid. The dreams may still seem random and unimportant, but they become clear. They may start to venture into strange realms.

The next stage is you start becoming lucid: as you are dreaming you become aware of the fact you are dreaming, and you may do as you wish... Generally speaking. There is a spectrum in the lucid world, from playing around with fun lucid powers to testing what you perceive as reality. It is what you make of it. It can be a fun play land or it can be a jaw dropping catalyst which makes you question reality. I like to think if I bring anything to the table in Avalon, this is my specialty. Whether or not that is of any value I leave that up to those who are reading this.

EDIT: Oh, and keep your dream journal private. At least that's my advice. When reading about your dreams that you've recorded, it will touch you in places that you are uncomfortable with. The thoughts that you put on the 'back burner' will be brought to the forefront.
    Last edited by Strat; 4th July 2019 at 18:39.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Constance (4th July 2019), Mike (5th July 2019), Rosemarie (4th July 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Ecuador Avalon Member Rosemarie's Avatar
    Language
    Spanish
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 times in 311 posts

Thank you Valerie and Strat ! Will keep you posted , but will keep my dreams a secret. Jaja
    Found this short but interesting Ted Talk about artificial light creating havoc in our sleeping patterns and in our health
    Last edited by Rosemarie; 4th July 2019 at 20:19.
    "Be kind for everybody is fighting a great battle" Plato

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rosemarie For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Constance (4th July 2019), Mike (5th July 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Constance (5th July 2019), Mike (5th July 2019), Rosemarie (5th July 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

Two nights out of the last ten I have gotten no sleep at all. None. I end up napping during the day as I am retired but it isn't the same as sleeping when everyone else does!

I lie there too tired to actually do anything but too much muscle pain, anxiety and restlessness to sleep. These problems are part of a deep unsolvable brain problem due to chronic illness. Some prescription drugs help but nothing else. I am cutting back on them currently but may have to go back on my former dose. It's like insulin for a diabetic.

I sure don't want to get dementia from not sleeping! Maybe I am already there!

One thing I have noticed that is odd is I have the toughest time sleeping if it is totally quiet. I LIKE the sound of traffic. Not traffic noise, but traffic sound.

Anyway, everybody has at least one major problem and that's mine. I am just so grateful, that I don't have any other major ones. Some people have several. Don't know how they manage. Life is hard.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Constance (5th July 2019), Mike (5th July 2019), Rosemarie (5th July 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Two nights out of the last ten I have gotten no sleep at all. None. I end up napping during the day as I am retired but it isn't the same as sleeping when everyone else does!

I lie there too tired to actually do anything but too much muscle pain, anxiety and restlessness to sleep. These problems are part of a deep unsolvable brain problem due to chronic illness. Some prescription drugs help but nothing else. I am cutting back on them currently but may have to go back on my former dose. It's like insulin for a diabetic.

I sure don't want to get dementia from not sleeping! Maybe I am already there!

One thing I have noticed that is odd is I have the toughest time sleeping if it is totally quiet. I LIKE the sound of traffic. Not traffic noise, but traffic sound.

Anyway, everybody has at least one major problem and that's mine. I am just so grateful, that I don't have any other major ones. Some people have several. Don't know how they manage. Life is hard.
    Thank you for sharing AutumnW.

Fingers (and toes) crossed that you will have sweet slumber tonight.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Rosemarie (5th July 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hey Rosemarie!

One thing I used to do to was to program myself to remember my dreams. I would say to myself before I went to sleep at night, "I will remember my dreams. I will remember my dreams." I would say this at least half a dozen times before drifting off to sleep. The unconscious mind will eventually cotton on and program itself to do just that.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Rosemarie (5th July 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

I have had terrible periods of insomnia all through my life.

In one of these, I didn’t sleep for four or five days and it felt like my mind was burning up, as though layers and layers of light were being built up... it was both astonishing and a bit awe inspiring.

Eventually I started to feel I was “dissipating at the edges”, so I went to see the doctor and she gave me this advice:
    Quote even if your mind is not sleepy, lie quietly and calmly so at least your body can rest
    This has helped me immeasurably NOT to be worried about sleeping. And not being worried is a good first step to getting to sleep.

Some of the other methods I’ve tried when I have insomnia are:
    • doing boring tasks in the house: tidying the cupboards, doing washing up (even of clean plates if needed), refolding towels and sheets, etc. These activities can be very meditative since they don’t need too much thinking
    • reading a “textbook”, something with a lot of difficult jargon and maybe a lot of maths I don’t understand well - there are plenty of physics papers to choose from! This is one of the quickest ways for me to feel exhausted.
    • doing some fairly strenuous, vigorous exercise early in the day, before about 2pm, especially if it is a tough session, can send me straight to sleep at night
    • forgetting about sleep for that particular night and doing something else like journaling, doodling, writing poems, imagining things. The next day, after a night spent when my mind has been “allowed to run free”, I can sleep much more easily.
    • if the thing that is keeping me awake can be identified, handling it in one of two ways:
      1. Getting up and doing something about it, or preparing what is needed to do something about it the next day
      2. Making a promise to myself that I will handle it the next day. It’s important here that I keep my promises to myself, otherwise I get cynical about this and the promises don’t work to set my mind at ease.
    • having a good “cry” - by this I mean that if I can create the space to fully witness myself, particularly some part of myself or my behaviour that I have been avoiding or not looking at, and then “letting it all come out” by writing about it, sobbing about it, drawing it, speaking about it (even to myself) etc., then there is a sense of relief, peace and serenity which makes it much easier to sleep.

The last two are the hardest to face emotionally but the most helpful overall.
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

AutumnW (5th July 2019), Constance (5th July 2019), Rosemarie (5th July 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Eight herbs that can calm your mind and may help with the whole sleeping ritual.

24. Link to Post #33
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Are There Benefits to Blue-Blocking Glasses?

STORY AT-A-GLANCE

Poor sleep can contribute to a whole host of chronic health problems, from obesity and diabetes to immune problems and an increased risk for cancer. Plus, it raises your risk of accidents and occupational errors.
    Two of the largest contributors to poor sleeping habits are the use of artificial lighting and electronics at night, and insufficient light exposure during the day.
    To optimize sleep, get sun exposure first thing in the morning, and/or again around noontime. In the evening, avoid blue light. Blue-blocking glasses are a simple remedy. Also make sure to sleep in darkness.

You may remember the blue-blocking sunglasses that were popular in the U.S. in the 1980s. The glasses, with their amber-colored lenses, had a bit of a cult following and were perhaps best known for how clear they made regular objects appear.

They were promoted by Joel Sugarman who is actually a friend of mine and regular reader of this newsletter.

However, many are not aware that these glasses were originally designed for the NASA space program. Astronauts need powerful eye protection in outer space, where ultraviolet (UV) rays from the sun are incredibly strong.

A sunglass manufacturer developed a special design that blocked not only the UV rays but also blue rays.1 The glasses had the desirable "side effect" of making objects appear sharper, but the real benefits of blocking blue light are only beginning to be understood.

Far beyond the benefits to your visual clarity, blocking blue light serves an important biological purpose, helping to regulate your internal clock to control sleep patterns and other body functions. Quite simply, avoiding blue light at night is crucial to protecting your health.

Why Exposure to Artificial Blue Light Needs to Be Avoided

Exposure to artificial light is one of the largest often-overlooked health risks of living in the 21st century. Your early ancestors had no such worries, as their day started and ended with the rise and fall of the sun, which synchronized perfectly with their circadian rhythm.

Today, your body is still attuned to this internal clock. In the morning, bright, blue-light-rich sunlight signals to your body that it's time to wake up. At night, as the sun sets, darkness should signal to your body that it's time to sleep.

The problem is that most people living in developed countries no longer go to sleep when the sun sets.

Instead, we turn on LED lights, computers, televisions, tablets and smartphones, all of which expose us to varying amounts of blue light at a time of day when there's supposed to be next to none. Your body is understandably confused as a result.

It's now becoming clear that one of the least expensive and simplest ways to protect your body's internal rhythm, and thereby support healthy sleep and a lowered risk of many chronic diseases, is to wear blue-light-blocking glasses not just at night but anytime you are exposed to artificial lights.

I found an effective Uvex model (S1933X) on Amazon that costs less than $10. I recommend purchasing a pair for everyone in your household and putting them on at dusk, as the sun sets.

I call them reverse sunglasses and wear them indoors in most commercial buildings that have their lights on and then I remove them the moment I go outdoors.

While you could alternatively buy special light bulbs for evening use and install programs to lower blue-light on your electronic devices at night, one $10 pair of amber glasses does the same thing for far less money and hassle.

The Benefits of Wearing Blue Light-Blocking Glasses

The benefits of blue-blocking glasses are immense and varied. In my view the primary benefit is to prevent damage to the DHA essential fat in your retinal pigmented epithelium which is responsible for converting sunlight into vital DC electric current your body needs.

Additionally blue light will increase the distance of the proteins in the respiratory electron transport chain in your mitochondria making them far less efficient in producing mitochondria.

Additionally, in one recent study published in Bipolar Disorders, for instance, use of such glasses for one week led to "knock-your-socks-off results" among people with bipolar disorder.2,3

Those who wore blue-blocking orange-tinted glasses from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. for seven days had significant improvements in symptoms of mania compared to those who wore clear glasses. What's more, the improvements began after just three nights of use.

The dramatic results make sense in light of the relatively recent discovery of intrinsically photo-responsive retinal ganglion cells, which are receptors in your eyes that detect only blue light.

These receptors communicate with areas of your brain linked to control of your biological clock (hypothalamus) as well as mood and emotions (the limbic system).4

In 2009, research published in Chronobiology International similarly found dramatic improvements in insomnia and mood in about half of bipolar patients who wore blue-blocking glasses.5

Antioxidants May Help Protect Your Eyes From Blue Light Exposure

Zeaxanthin is an antioxidant carotenoid found in your retina, but it cannot be made by your body, so you must get it from your diet. Lutein is found in your macular pigment, which helps protect your central vision and aids in blue light absorption.

Both zeaxanthin and lutein are also found in high concentrations in your macula lutea — the small central part of your retina responsible for detailed central vision. Together, they're believed to serve two primary roles:

1. To absorb excess photon energy

2. Quench free-radicals before they damage your lipid membranes

As noted in a white paper: "Together, lutein and the zeaxanthin isomers absorb a broader spectrum of high-energy blue light, which offers greater protection of retinal tissue."6 Lutein and zeaxanthin are primarily found in green leafy vegetables, with kale and (cooked) spinach topping the list of lutein-rich foods.

You'll also find these nutrients in orange- and yellow-colored fruits and vegetables. (The word lutein actually comes from the Latin word "luteus," which means "yellow.") Organic, pastured egg yolks are also a good source.

Growing Awareness of the Importance of Chronotherapeutics for Health

Chronotherapeutics refers to therapies that shift sleep and wake times or otherwise treat a person according to his or her internal clocks in order to improve health and prevent disease.

The importance of such treatments, including paying attention to light-dark cycles and their impact on human health, is becoming increasingly known. Take, for instance, a recent animal study published in Current Biology.7

When mice were exposed to continuous artificial light for five months, it led to many adverse effects on their health, including pro-inflammatory activation of the immune system, muscle loss and signs of osteoporosis.

Importantly, when the natural light-dark cycle was restored, the mice rapidly returned to normal within a period of two weeks. The researchers noted, "These findings strongly suggest that a disrupted circadian rhythm reversibly induces detrimental effects on multiple biological processes."8

American Medical Association (AMA) Gives Warning About Blue Light-Rich LED Streetlights

At the 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Medical Association (AMA), the AMA issued new guidance for communities on how to "reduce the harmful human and environmental effects of high-intensity [LED] street lighting."

AMA Board Member Dr. Maya A. Babu said in a news release, "Despite the energy efficiency benefits, some LED lights are harmful when used as street lighting."9

The guidance focused on high-intensity LED lighting, which emits a large amount of blue light and appears white to the naked eye. Risks noted by the AMA include risks to nighttime drivers, including:

• Worse nighttime glare than conventional lighting

• Discomfort and disability caused by the intense lighting may "decrease visual acuity and safety, resulting in concerns and creating a road hazard"

The AMA also pointed out that blue-rich LED streetlights operate at a wavelength that adversely suppresses melatonin at night — far more so even than other types of light. The AMA noted white LED lights "have a five times greater impact" on circadian sleep rhythms than conventional street lamps.

This, in turn, may lead to problems with sleep and related conditions. They cited "recent large surveys" that found brighter nighttime light in communities is linked with:

• Reduced sleep times

• Dissatisfaction with sleep quality

• Excessive sleepiness

• Impaired daytime functioning

• Obesity

Bright Light Is Beneficial When Exposure Occurs During the Day

Artificial blue light should be avoided at all times, not just at night. It's important to understand that exposure to full-spectrum natural light from the sun (which naturally contains some blue light) during the day is balanced with red light and actually beneficial and necessary for resetting your internal clock.

If you want to get good sleep, in particular, you have to have properly aligned circadian rhythms, and step No. 1 is to make sure you get a sufficient dose of bright light exposure during the daytime. Your pineal gland produces melatonin roughly in approximation to the contrast of bright sun exposure in the day and complete darkness at night. If you're in darkness all day long, your body can't appreciate the difference and will not optimize melatonin production.

Ideally, to help your circadian system reset itself, get at least 10 to 15 minutes of light first thing in the morning. This will send a strong message to your internal clock that day has arrived, making it less likely to be confused by weaker light signals later on.

Then, around solar noon, get another "dose" of at least 30 minutes' worth of sunlight. A full hour or more would be even better. If your schedule is such that you have to get up and arrive at work before sunrise, aim to get at least that half hour of bright sunlight sometime during the day.

A Fool-Proof Plan to Avoid Artificial Blue Light

Your health depends on a regular light-dark cycle that, ideally, starts and stops at the same time each day. In addition to getting exposure to sunlight in the morning and at mid-day, you can protect the needs of your body's internal clock by following this fool-proof plan.

Anytime that you are exposed to artificial lights (whether they're LED, incandescent or compact fluorescent lamps [CFLs]) and turn off electronic devices to reduce your exposure to light that may stifle your melatonin production you will want to wear blue blocking glasses.

If using a computer or smart phone, install blue-light-blocking software like f.lux, which automatically alters the color temperature of your screen as the day goes on, pulling out the blue wavelengths. Sadly the appreciation of the dangers of artificial blue light in the day is not well appreciated so this program only comes on at sunset.

Once you have your glasses on, it doesn't matter what light sources you have on in your house. You can even wear these glasses outdoors at night if you'll be travelling in an area with LED streetlights. When you're ready to climb into bed, make sure your bedroom is pitch black. The slightest bit of light in your bedroom can disrupt your body's clock and your pineal gland's melatonin production.

It's a good idea to cover your windows with drapes or blackout shades to achieve this — especially if you have LED streetlights outside your bedroom window. If this isn't possible, wear an eye mask, to block out any remaining light.

Source: Dr. Mercola

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Cara (5th July 2019), Rosemarie (5th July 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2