+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TOTAL Power Cut in ARGENTINA & URUGUAY

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,410 times in 621 posts

Default TOTAL Power Cut in ARGENTINA & URUGUAY

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-48652686

Electrical failure cuts power to all of Argentina and Uruguay, supplier says

A massive electrical failure has left all of Argentina and Uruguay without power, according to a major Argentine electricity provider.

Reports said the power cut had also affected parts of Brazil and Paraguay.

Argentine media said the power cut occurred shortly after 07:00 (11:00 BST), causing trains to be halted and failures with traffic signalling.

It came as people in parts of Argentina were preparing to go to the polls for local elections.

"A massive failure in the electrical interconnection system left all of Argentina and Uruguay without power," electricity supplier company Edesur said in a tweet.

The country's energy secretary, Gustavo Lopetegui, said the causes for the system failure had not yet been determined. He said power was being restored to some parts of the country, but added that the process could take several hours.

The combined population of Argentina and Uruguay is about 48 million people.

Among the affected provinces in Argentina were Santa Fe, San Luis, Formosa, La Rioja, Chubut, Cordoba and Mendoza, reports said.

Social media reports of the power were widespread - from the capital Buenos Aires in the north, to Mendoza in the west and Comodoro Rivadavia in the south, among many other cities.
    Last edited by boja; 16th June 2019 at 20:12.

2. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to boja For This Post:

aoibhghaire (16th June 2019), Ba-ba-Ra (17th June 2019), Bill Ryan (16th June 2019), Debra (16th June 2019), Hym (16th June 2019), Intranuclear (16th June 2019), JRS (17th June 2019), Lefty Dave (16th June 2019), Libico (17th June 2019), Mercedes (16th June 2019), onevoice (16th June 2019), Philippe (16th June 2019), Rosemarie (16th June 2019), Sadieblue (17th June 2019), silvanelf (16th June 2019), Sophocles (17th June 2019), Star Tsar (16th June 2019), Sunny-side-up (16th June 2019), sunwings (17th June 2019), Tintin (17th June 2019), toppy (17th June 2019), Valerie Villars (16th June 2019), Wind (17th June 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    Zulu
    Thanks

Default Re: TOTAL Power Cut in ARGENTINA & URUGUAY

From a Yahoo News commenter:

2012 Mayan Apocalypse Survivor6 hours ago
    I’m an expat living in Buenos Aires right now on a job contract for my husband. His contract is actually up on June 30, and we are returning permanently to the States. This was quite the experience to have just before we go. It was CRAZY. Based on personal experience in living here for three years, I can say that living in a Third World Country, Argentina *is not* a country that focuses on state-of-the-art anything. During the summer, there are regular government-mandated set time power outages during the day enacted because the electrical grid is too stressed from people running their ACs in the extreme heat seen down here. I am almost positive this is an infrastructure issue, and not some kind of attack. I would be really surprised if it were. Argentina isn’t really a place where those kinds of things happen. Buenos Aires might be a world capital city, but as a country, Argentina just isn’t a front runner on anything, and “good enough” is the cultural norm here. It’s just the way it is.

Perhaps, for once, the situation can be taken at face value and chalked up to an old and overloaded power grid that could probably benefit from an expensive (but necessary) upgrade that no one wants to pay for. Just a thought.
    "Rage, rage against the dying of the light." -D. Thomas

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Siphonemis For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (17th June 2019), boja (17th June 2019), onevoice (17th June 2019), Sophocles (17th June 2019), Tintin (17th June 2019), ulli (17th June 2019), Wind (17th June 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,159 times in 13,484 posts

Default Re: TOTAL Power Cut in ARGENTINA & URUGUAY

I’m sure you are right. Here in Costa Rica we also have power outages, but the power grid is not that centralized, so these outages don’t affect the whole country.

The only time the whole country went dark one night was when a fleet of UFOs went overhead, and thousands of people saw them. That was in the nineties. Many skeptics became believers then.

Quote Posted by Siphonemis (here)
    From a Yahoo News commenter:

2012 Mayan Apocalypse Survivor6 hours ago
    I’m an expat living in Buenos Aires right now on a job contract for my husband. His contract is actually up on June 30, and we are returning permanently to the States. This was quite the experience to have just before we go. It was CRAZY. Based on personal experience in living here for three years, I can say that living in a Third World Country, Argentina *is not* a country that focuses on state-of-the-art anything. During the summer, there are regular government-mandated set time power outages during the day enacted because the electrical grid is too stressed from people running their ACs in the extreme heat seen down here. I am almost positive this is an infrastructure issue, and not some kind of attack. I would be really surprised if it were. Argentina isn’t really a place where those kinds of things happen. Buenos Aires might be a world capital city, but as a country, Argentina just isn’t a front runner on anything, and “good enough” is the cultural norm here. It’s just the way it is.

Perhaps, for once, the situation can be taken at face value and chalked up to an old and overloaded power grid that could probably benefit from an expensive (but necessary) upgrade that no one wants to pay for. Just a thought.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ulli For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (17th June 2019), boja (17th June 2019), Siphonemis (17th June 2019), Sophocles (17th June 2019), Tintin (17th June 2019), Wind (17th June 2019)

+ Reply to Thread