1. Link to Post #21
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

Default Re: Making one's own musical instruments

Quote Posted by Wmel (here)
    This might not be appropriate in this thread but i'll still post anyway.

There are quite a number of theories out there related about music and healing, one being the 432Hz frequency. There are others that claim it is a matter of tuning the instrument in more pure intonation, not the pitch itself.

I re-tuned my sitar in pythagorean tuning (as a result get a scolding from my teacher as it sounded "weird"), I tune my tanbur in the so-called gandharva grama tuning calculated by Mitzi DeWhitt (https://www.amazon.com/Nearly-All-Al.../dp/1413482821) to experience the power of the sound. And there are various books talking about music, tuning and its influence to human being, such as:

Alain Danielou's Music and the Power of Sound: The Influence of Tuning and Interval on Consciousness
    Ernest G. McClain's The Myth of Invariance
    Richard Heath's The Harmonic Origin of the World
    Ted Gioia's Healing Songs
    Hazrat Inayat Khan's music essays
    Joselyn Godwin's Harmonies of Heaven and Earth
    Robert John Stewart's The Spiritual Dimension of Music

So, could it be that music is one of the best practice to just BE (therefore the tuning and theories are just aesthetics and secondary, the intention being the primary) and when the mind is powerful enough, the music might bridge between the metaphysical and the material world.
    On the other hand, music serves as a hidden symbol/code for the ancient to teach about the law of the world, together with science and philosophy, like DeWhitt's claim about G.I.Gurdjieff's theory making much more sense when using music as analogy.

I would like to read and discuss more about the power of music as an agent of healing...
    One more rare instrument to share before closing the post: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5VSt3jj0c&t=336s
    For me its a question of feeling rather than musical knowledge--sometimes I wonder if the bass is playing me rather than the other way about.
    Depends on the music played and the instrument.
    My guitarist friend whom I record with, counts all the beats and is a brilliant guitarist but some songs particularly the blues he is not quite in the essence of it, so to speak, technically correct but!!!
    Music is alive and playing an instrument lifts one to a better place--mind set.
    Im prone to mild depression but the moment I start playing its gone.
    I dont thing the tuning really is an issue--I use standard.
    Lets face it lead guitarists pull the string to get notes a tone above fretted.

Playing requires single minded ness till one gets in the zone then its like meditation--Im aware of the fingers moving the notes produced the tone--the other playing but it does not feel like im doing it--if that makes sense.
    Playing the bass that I put together, even more so--its a part of me.
    Obviously hours were spent learning in my youth but now its as natural as breathing.
    Can anyone identify with that?

Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 5th July 2019 at 11:43.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2019), Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), Did You See Them (5th July 2019), Fellow Aspirant (5th July 2019), Hym (5th July 2019), Inaiá (6th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

I've built a "Fender" Stratocaster in the Past - a long time hunt finding all the correct hardwear for a 78 neck I had ( would never attempt to make a neck !! ) - but I loved the one piece Body that I crafted and finished with a walnut venner - and finally a layer of nitrocellulose.
    I hope I can find the pics !

On the subject of guitars I'm in the market for one now !

I want a Gibson SG but I need to justify the price to myself ! - so I'm trying to decide whether to go cheaper and am looking at the high end Epiphone G-400 pro (about £350 ) in comparison to the almost entry Gibson SG Tribute 2019 (£699 )
    Does anyone have any input ?

Edit - I'm actually going to guitar shop tomorrow to try them out but does anyone have any experience of either models ?
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 5th July 2019 at 12:06.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2019), Constance (6th July 2019), DeDukshyn (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), greybeard (5th July 2019), Hym (5th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Did You See Them I would suggest having a look at Harley Benton guitars.
    There are loads of u tube videos of satisfied guitarists--some have even sold their Gibsons to get a HB
    There is an enormous mark up on the price of Fender and Gibson.
    Anyway the build, quality, sound and play-ability would seem to match the market leaders at a fraction of the price.
    Three year guarantee.
    You wont find them in a guitar shop--hence cutting out middle man profit.
    They are designed in Germany and made in Asia--
    Who actually builds the Gibson and Fender guitars--made in USA? I doubt it.

Chris

Ps here's one £222

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_ben..._f_b_stock.htm
    Last edited by greybeard; 5th July 2019 at 12:24.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2019), Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), Did You See Them (5th July 2019), Fellow Aspirant (5th July 2019), Hym (5th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    Did You See Them I would suggest having a look at Harley Benton guitars.
    There are loads of u tube videos of satisfied guitarists--some have even sold their Gibsons to get a HB
    There is an enormous mark up on the price of Fender and Gibson.
    Anyway the build, quality, sound and play-ability would seem to match the market leaders at a fraction of the price.
    Three year guarantee.

Chris
    Thanks Chris I will check them out now.
    I know Gibson have been having problems recently so I am bit wary ( Would love to be able to solve the problem by just buying an original 60's one - but the wife wont let me sell the house !

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2019), Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), greybeard (5th July 2019), Hym (5th July 2019), william r sanford72 (5th July 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

I'm impressed with what I've quickly read and seen Chris - Thanks for that.
    Now you've really dropped the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons !!
    Time for a bit MORE research

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2019), Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), Fellow Aspirant (5th July 2019), greybeard (5th July 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    I'm impressed with what I've quickly read and seen Chris - Thanks for that.
    Now you've really dropped the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons !!
    Time for a bit MORE research
    Please let me know how you get on.
    U tube is awash with HB guitar demos by unbiased guitarists.
    Some are really good players.
    There will be a copy close to the Gibson of your preference.

Chris

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2019), Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), Did You See Them (5th July 2019), Hym (5th July 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Just to add Chris - I feel your description above about playing/feeling and musical knowledge is spot on.
    Playing puts me in a different place - somewhere I can go anytime I need to change my mood or just forget the world ( oil painting does the same - almost - but I can get exasperated when things take a wrong turn ).

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th July 2019), Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), greybeard (5th July 2019), Hym (5th July 2019), Inaiá (6th July 2019), Valerie Villars (8th July 2019), william r sanford72 (5th July 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

This was one of dad's greatest mistakes and illustrates the generational divide...

My dad asked me what instrument I wanted to learn how to play (the fact that I was going to learn how to play an instrument was not up for discussion). I said I would love to learn how to play the guitar. My dad decided that was not going to fly - so I was told I would learn the accordion.

Fast-forward three years...my accordion has tape on the bellows and chunks missing from the corners from being thrown against the wall countless times - I hated that instrument but had to go to class every week.

Then for my birthday I was given three music books with all rock songs! I tried playing the first one - stairway to heaven, and played it through and sounded pretty good. Then I tried the next and the next. I had learned to play any song I wanted! But still I hated that instrument.

Now many moons later, I wish I had learned another instrument for a completely new reason - accordions are very expensive and I cannot afford one. I wish I could afford it because I miss playing music.

If I could I would build one - but I have neither the time nor the inclination.

Beautiful instruments folks! Quite the latent talent around here...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), Deux Corbeaux (5th July 2019), greybeard (5th July 2019), Hym (5th July 2019), Inaiá (6th July 2019), petra (27th September 2019), Valerie Villars (8th July 2019), william r sanford72 (5th July 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,289 times in 640 posts

Good question Ryan

I have always had a fascination for instruments, why are some recognized by whoever to be a "proper" instrument ?

As child I loved André Franquin's comic books about Gaston.
    Gaston invented a new instrument once, called in swedish translation Elefantofon, (Elephantophon in Eng) , If my memmory serves me .

It looked like a harp with drumbs built in a tree trunk, and it made an awfull racket, made everyone flee from Gaston while he was playing, but Gaston had his eyes shut and enjoyed the music he produced from this instrument. (couldnt find pic from internet, searched but no luck.)

Several years late I stumbeled on a clip on internet about the Theremin, (The only electronical instrument allowed in a Symphony orchestra) and I ordered one of thoose from "Moog"
    https://www.moogmusic.com/synthesizers?type=52, Then I realized I need a I an amplifier, and my friend Magnus had one I could have for free. Yippie aye ! only problem was it was HUGE, LOUD, and made crackling noises.

Living in a small flat with not so tollerent neighbours, Trying to play it, was hard enough.

As a last step bought a silly puny amplifier ( with 4 Batterys in it) that hardly gives out any sound at all

It then went to be boring, so I put it on a shelf.

To conclude what this topic was about, is that I still had a sparcle of hope in my mind to be creative enough to either get this instrument, The Theremin to a new step, or from the Theremin giving me ideas to invent other musical instruments.

PS: A Theremin is played by just using hand movements in the air beside it, which makes it the only instrument you dont touch while playing it.

PS S The Theremin was invented 1919 av Léon Theremin

Check this out!
    Last edited by Rawhide68; 5th July 2019 at 19:00.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rawhide68 For This Post:

Constance (6th July 2019), DeDukshyn (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), Did You See Them (30th September 2019), greybeard (6th July 2019), Valerie Villars (8th July 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

I suppose if I wasn't so busy playing my instruments I might attempt to make some. But there are only so many hours in the day!

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Constance (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (6th July 2019), Did You See Them (30th September 2019), greybeard (6th July 2019), Valerie Villars (8th July 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    Language
    English
    Thanks

If music be the food of love play on. etc
    Every culture has music and dance--no one is immune to it--smiling
    Its a good feeling to play an instrument that one had a hand in the making of.
    I have some expensive bases, second hand, but I am aware that they were made with love by a crafts man
    Chris

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Constance (6th July 2019), DeDukshyn (6th July 2019), Dennis Leahy (7th July 2019), Did You See Them (30th September 2019), Valerie Villars (8th July 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,163 times in 1,390 posts

About 12 years ago, I had the fortune of undergoing an impromptu apprenticeship with none other than Bernie Goodfellow - those who know their basses well will appreciate the scenario.

I worked beside him for around six months, visiting the timber merchant he sourced his exotic materials from, as well as learning many of the basics of bass luthiering. It was a real eye-opener to work with a master even if only for a short period of time and gave me insights into routing, rasping, sanding and finishing as well as fundamentals of design in general.

He was also a right good laugh!

Since then I’ve assembled a couple of my own P. Basses with bodies, necks and other components sourced from Ebay all for a fraction of the price of one of those more “familiar” guitar brands.
    the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Constance (9th July 2019), Did You See Them (30th September 2019), petra (27th September 2019), Valerie Villars (8th July 2019)

25. Link to Post #33
    Language
    English
    Thanks

That must have been an amazing experience Akasha.
    I was an apprentice boat builder--Sailing Dinghys and love the smell of fresh cut wood.
    I have a Warwick bass and it is unbelievably heavy.
    The wood gives the tone even though it has pickups.

I still have the same enthusiasm for playing and the different tones of the instruments that I had as a teen learning to play bass.

Chris

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Akasha (8th July 2019), Constance (9th July 2019), Did You See Them (30th September 2019)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Having in the past put together a few "Stratocaster" style parts casters and having enjoyed the hunt, build and eventual finished product and now having read of Greybeard's experience with a Harley Benton Telescaster kit, I decided to see what was on offer.
    I looked through the Harley Benton range and was quiet impressed.
    I decided that I would get around to trying one out when the time was right.
    The kits I was looking at ranged in price from just shy of £100 upwards.
    A couple of days ago whilst browsing amazon for some chrome pickup covers for my Gibson I came across another kit brand on Amazon - "Beaton" ( very little info - if any, to be found on the net )
    The Beaton Telecaster was priced at £58.02 inc delivery !!
    The kit was not much more than a couple of pounds dearer than two genuine Gibson covers !!!
    Surely this has got to be .. well .... crap ! , but at the price I decided to see what you could actually get for so little money so I clicked the "Buy" button, after all my Gibson can wait for it's bling !!

Here is the standard kit picture from the net.

The Kit arrived the yesterday. ( I still cant get used to the speed of deliveries these days !)

After a cursory look last night I am quiet impressed !
    The body is made of "paulownia" a wood I've never heard of but a quick search says it to be very light, good for tone but with a downside of it being very easily bruised and dented. I can live with that for £58.02 !!
    I quick weigh showed body to be 1.25kg - so very light.
    All supplied hardware seems (as expected) to be on the cheapside .. but it should be at that price !

I will update this over the weekend with pics and observations whilst I decide how to proceed with the build.
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 27th September 2019 at 09:25.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

greybeard (27th September 2019), petra (27th September 2019)

29. Link to Post #35
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Did You See Them.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Best wishes
    Chris

30. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Did You See Them (30th September 2019)

31. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Thanks Chris,

What were your experiences of using Tru-oil for a finish ?
    Did you use liquid wipe on or spray ?

I am hoping to make this a "stock" build without deviating from the supplied hardware etc but I have already decided that before proceeding I am going to drill ferrule holes for a through the body stringing finish ( the supplied bridge is for both back or through configuration for the strings ) but the body is undrilled as supplied.

Tomorrow I will cut and shape the headstock, 50's Telecaster/Broadcaster style - something to do on a rainy Saturday stuck indoors !!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

greybeard (27th September 2019)

33. Link to Post #37
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Hi Aidan
    Tru oil I would use again but that is mainly because im not happy with my ability to spray without runs.
    I put the oil on with t shirt like material. The HB comes with sealed finish ideal for spray but you have to sand first to use Tru oil Loads of u tube videos on how to use.
    Its important after putting the oil on to remove any excess with a clean cloth.
    Its a learning curve.
    I put on about 10 coats sanding lightly every third one --the last coat I thinned with white spirit which gave a nice shine.
    Chris

34. The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

Did You See Them (30th September 2019)

35. Link to Post #38
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    Now many moons later, I wish I had learned another instrument for a completely new reason - accordions are very expensive and I cannot afford one. I wish I could afford it because I miss playing music.
    Harmonica perhaps? Kind of similar, suck and blow vs push and pull - maybe the accordion music can be converted to harmonica music
    Just don't leave it where bugs can crawl into there ;-)

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Did You See Them (30th September 2019), greybeard (27th September 2019)

37. Link to Post #39
    Thanks

Well as forecast we had non stop rain this weekend !! so ... Lets make a guitar !

I stated earlier that the body of my £58.02 telecaster guitar was not drilled for ferrules.
    I started looking for a set of ferrules on ebay on Friday night ( only 99p from China ) when my wife reminded me that the reason for me buying this guitar was to see what a stock cheap guitar was like without spending extra or going off plan so I shelved the idea ( for now !)

Saturday morning came as did the rain and so having let the chickens out I found myself sitting in kitchen at 7 am looking at the kit contents.
    OK - with my wife's words ringing in my ears, a no frills approach took over my mind.

First the neck.

Not a bad piece of wood - nice grain, and the fit to the neck pocket very tight and smooth.
    Cutting the headstock was not easy with the tools available ( I had a lot of tools and things stolen last year - still finding things that have gone missing !! ) I left plenty excess to sand down ( I still have a lot of tidying up on the headstock to do - I ran out of sand paper !! )

I also gave the neck a few coats of nitro laquer through Saturday ( I had one tin spare from a previous partscaster guitar build. )

Next the Body

A quick light sand ( was quiet smooth anyway ) and then the problem of painting.
    I have 2 partial tins of White car spray but no sanding sealer or primer so decide not to go down that route.

I had some Ronseal wood stain !! but that was set when I eventually got the lid off - straight into the bin !!
    The wife suggested I try one of her craft hacks - and showed me a youtube vid of staining wood with acrylic paint and baby wipes !!
    She did not have many acrylic colours left in a suitable colour but she did have Liquitex inks !!

So with baby wipes in hand and a promise not to use to much I set about staining the wood.

I used copper first followed immediately by yellow. - I think this stuff and method needs more exploring - very impressed with what you can achieve with so little product.

Body dried in an hour and within two had had a few thin coats of nitro ( end of tin ! )

Next came the fittings - all went without problems.
    All screw holes aligned, although scratch plate and control plate were a little awkward to align - but they did eventually.

Electrics - well not much problem there ( no wiring diagrams supplied - but easily found on net ) even comes with enough solder to do the job.

First impressions

Sounds quiet Tele like - VERY surprised with sound from the supplied pickups !!

All in all a GOOD guitar for the money - I've heard worse sounding from the real Real Mccoy !!

I will update this next weekend with a few sound clips.

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Do Imgur links not work in posts now ??
    Last edited by Did You See Them; 30th September 2019 at 10:20.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th September 2019), greybeard (30th September 2019)

39. Link to Post #40
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

Moderator note:

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    ...Do Imgur links not work in posts now ??
    Hi Did You See Them,

I did a brief test to see what might be the problem and found that I could get an image to load when I used a longer version of the same link.

So on the first image, you had: https://imgur.com/lYJonBo

When I followed that link and copied from the image itself, I got this one: https://i.imgur.com/lYJonBo_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

And when I used that one, the image appeared.

Have you been able to use links of the first type from imgur previously? (I’ve not used imgur)

Update:

I’ve made a copy of the post to the Sandbox thread so that it can be more easily tested and edited.

That copy is here: https://projectavalon.net/forum4/show...=1#post1316322

Update 2:

I removed from your post here any edits I made in my first test.

The first test (above) was on my ipad. I have now done a test on all the images on my laptop computer - I did this in the Sandbox thread (here).

From what I could see in my test:
    1. Images from imgur do indeed work
    2. What seemed to be missing was the file extension .jpg (or other image type)
    3. When the [IMG] insert tags are used, they seem to require that an image file extension is included.

So, I think the same change can now be made in this original post.

Last edited by Cara; 30th September 2019 at 10:14.
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Bill Ryan (30th September 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast