+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 1 8 18

Thread: The 'censorship' discussion

1. Link to Post #341
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,203 times in 1,526 posts

Default Re: The 'censorship' discussion

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    who jumped to conclusions about my being some kind of ever-present 24/7 being who never sleeps or eats or does anything else and reads every post on the forum within minutes of it appearing and magically knows when something's there that's there to be read or answered.
    Damn, reality bomb. Image shattered!

(( It was a JOKE!! ))

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Star Mariner For This Post:

justntime2learn (17th July 2019), Ken (19th July 2019), PurpleLama (18th July 2019), RunningDeer (17th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #342
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Here's a question. It'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and answers.

Richard Dolan now puts a lot of his material (and half of his video interviews) behind his RichardDolanMembers.com paywall. You sign up, and pay a small amount, and then it's all there. (I'm not a member, btw.)

When he decided to do this, was this censorship?

Please reply.
    Of course that wasn't censorship!
    Not even close.

A guy wanting to make money or a living is not censorship.
    Funny, but if you pay the bucks for membership, you are no longer 'censored'.
    What he did is what's called "doing business".

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Clear Light (17th July 2019), edina (18th July 2019), Ken (19th July 2019), petra (29th July 2019), silvanelf (19th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #343
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 times in 123 posts

Here's a question. It'd be interesting to hear everyone's thoughts and answers.

Richard Dolan now puts a lot of his material (and half of his video interviews) behind his RichardDolanMembers.com paywall. You sign up, and pay a small amount, and then it's all there. (I'm not a member, btw.)

When he decided to do this, was this censorship?

Please reply.

(Note: Avalon may be significantly preferable: there's no paywall for members to join.)
    This is a really interesting conversation (for the most part!)

I personally do not think of Richard's choice to have a members-only area as censorship, in the way we use the word censorship in our standard lexicon.

cen·sorship
    /ˈsensərSHip/

noun

the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.
    I think this speaks to a larger issue of paywalling, in its many forms, and the effect this process has on mass consciousness.

Scientists obscure knowledge using sub-specialization-specific jargon. Musicians used to throw an avant grade track as the opener to a new record to deter the casual listener. Catholic clergy and attorneys speak from their books in latin. A traveling entertainer charges 50 cents to see the skull of a three-eyed cow.

Sometimes, when we create or find something special, we don't want that special thing to be trampled on. We want it to remain curated, and maybe more importantly, we want to be recognized as the one who created or found it. We want to manage the little rising star and see it to its potential.

A paywall, in its many forms, accomplishes both tasks, and has for millennia.

With the advent of the Internet, we've cracked many of these paywalls, sometimes nefariously, but the concept continues to bubble up in new incarnations.

I don't think Richard is censoring his work, as it seems from the outside to be a slicing the steak in half and putting the rest in the fridge for his own family to eat later, but since it's likely all the same steak, I can't say that one half is more dangerous or different than the other, and as the man at the grill, as long as he's not throwing any of the steak away, or using GMOs, I'm pretty ok with things for the moment.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

edina (18th July 2019), Ken (19th July 2019)

7. Link to Post #344
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Variant (here)
    I don't think Richard is censoring his work,...

Yes and how often do we become upset when someone self-censors as opposed to
    censoring others' viewpoints, work etc.?

BIG difference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

edina (18th July 2019)

9. Link to Post #345
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,047 times in 2,142 posts

I've got one question to ask for everyone. Who of you here post a thread and does not read every reply on the thread you created.
    there is no need to bother posting your answer, Just answer the question for yourself.

10. Link to Post #346
    Thanks

I think some censorships looks like ward off mere onlookers for not to crowd and make a mess.
    Anyway, the selection of one "price to pay" its a consequence of law of supply and demands ..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst 1 8 18