+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why history often repeats

1. Link to Post #1
    Hong Kong Avalon Member syrwong's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,568 times in 712 posts

Default Why history often repeats

Although it is said that history makes man witty, man actually never learns from history. Two clear examples of repetition in recent history are 1. Germany started the first world war, and it started the second world war. 2. Pearl Harbor brought US to a great war, and 911, the second Pearl Harbor bought it to the great war of anti-terrorism which is continuing and may lead to WW3.

A piece of history or a historic event typically involves an aggressor and a victim. Say, they are nations. It is correct that we can learn from history, but true learning is not by the third party, who has no emotional attachment to this history. True learning should be done by both the aggressor and the victim side. The victim may learn from the pain that they must make the nation strong, and not to suffer the same fate again. There may be many things to learn for a victim; sometimes the victim can emerge stronger and better than before, sometimes not. In actuality, it is more important for the aggressor to learn from history because by not realizing their mistakes they are almost certain to do it again. This is similar to the case of a serial killer.

More often than not, the aggressor does not learn. For one thing, they are usually stronger and gain from the aggression/conquest. This reinforces the greed to attack more victims. Even if they lose, because of the national character generated by years of feeling superior which cannot be easily changed, they may repeat the same act again. This is similar to the case of a rapist raping again after release from jail.

Without arguing too much about the hypothesis, I would like to argue that the main aggressors of WW2 may well play the same roles in the war to come (if there is one).

The two main aggressors, of course, are Germany and Japan. Both have not really repented for their actions. This is quite clear. Germany is better, some of their former chancellors have apologized for the war crimes done to the Jews and even at times to Russia (I think not the Soviet Union). Their apologies, however, are betrayed by their actions in NATO. Being the head of NATO, it is undeniable that they have advanced their military to the Russian border. This is for no rational reasons, certainly not to contain Iran. An apology not backed up by actions is no apology, or even worse, is a camouflage to calm the enemy. Japan is no better. They have not even apologized to China in any official occasions. They have at several times mentioned their “regret”, “sorrowfulness” or similar lesser words. Many words have been used but no apology. The denial of aggression to China is even more blatant in their history textbooks. Invasion is the word never used. Used instead is “entering China” after being provoked. There is also the denial of the Nanking massacre ever occurred. The recent redefining the role of the “Defense Corp” that allows interference outside Japan is very alarming.

At the moment black and white are inverted. The greatest victim nations of WW2, Russian and China are portrait as endangering world peace. Is history about to repeat itself? To avoid any catastrophic war to occur in the future, which will well end humanity, people of the world, in particular people of the aggressor nations should influence their governments to use their might to work for a peaceful future of the world.

It is said that the Nazis did not lose the world war. Germany started two great wars in Europe, now Germany is militarily strong again, could it start yet another one? Since the two Pearl Harbors started great wars so easily for US, could another false flag in the US start another great war for US? The peoples did not want war, but history does not flow with the wishes of the people when they are too passive and are not awaken to the lessons of history.
    Last edited by syrwong; 13th July 2019 at 00:24.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syrwong For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th July 2019), Soda (15th July 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 times in 309 posts

Default Re: Why history often repeats

This post is to inform your view...

Methinks this is somewhat skewed by the statement in 1.

Germany did NOT start WW1 and WW2...

For the rest, I think you should dig in deeper in what history you are talking about.

To get you started,

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

avid (13th July 2019), Bill Ryan (13th July 2019), Cara (13th July 2019), syrwong (13th July 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Richard S. (here)

I am aware of the conspiracies behind the two great wars. My point really was to illustrate my hypothesis, and it would be too complicated to talk about the controversial "conspiracy truth". History repeats at both levels. If you believe that Germany was coerced/forced/driven by some dark forces to make the great wars happen, then because the dark forces are very likely to be in control, they would do the same thing again because it was so successful the last two times.

6. Link to Post #4
    Canada Avalon Member Richard S.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,058 times in 309 posts

Quote Posted by syrwong (here)

I am aware of the conspiracies behind the two great wars. My point really was to illustrate my hypothesis, and it would be too complicated to talk about the controversial "conspiracy truth". History repeats at both levels. If you believe that Germany was coerced/forced/driven by some dark forces to make the great wars happen, then because the dark forces are very likely to be in control, they would do the same thing again because it was so successful the last two times.
    I NEVER believe, I get informed, look at all sides to a story, then make an informed opinion...

For that matter, I don't look at the information I gather in my brain as a conspiracy.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard S. For This Post:

edina (13th July 2019)

8. Link to Post #5
    Philippines Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,266 times in 2,725 posts

because the earth rotates everyday and revolves around the sun each year. life is a cycle a vibration

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubu For This Post:

syrwong (14th July 2019)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Bubu (here)
    because the earth rotates everyday and revolves around the sun each year. life is a cycle a vibration
    Everything goes in a cycle, but if the cycle is vicious, we may want to break it. I think a historic cycle can only be broken if 1. we are aware that we are in the same course 2. we have the desire to stop it and 3. revolt if needed. This must be done by the people of the aggressor nation.

Unfortunately we have none of the three. For
    1. People of the world are not aware the world is heading a destructive course, in fact a much worse course than the previous ones.
    2. Even for those who are aware, there is no desire. They are too busy with everyday living of earning money.
    3. Even if there is the desire, they may feel helpless. The new age philosophy teaches that group will is enough to change course. It is believed that any proactive act of resistance can only play into the hand of the cabal.
    Last edited by syrwong; 14th July 2019 at 03:06.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to syrwong For This Post:

Soda (15th July 2019)

12. Link to Post #7
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,814 times in 3,730 posts

The examples in the OP may be poorly chosen but the premise is correct IMO.

Events that occur to individual humans which offer learning experiences give them a chance to make choices and take actions. These may be aligned with their chosen path (ideals) or not, or not. Then they have to deal with the consequences of that choice.

I think we show up here in life with a laundry list of lessons to work through and if we don't derive the necessary wisdom and learning, the learning catalyst is repeated in creative ways until the lesson grasped and any attendant karmic fallout resolved.

Groups of humans and the Nations formed from those groups similarly go through this, and if the learning catalyst fails to achieve the higher learning objectives then they repeat.

On our path way to living as a harmonious human societal complex, we have much to learn.

My understanding is that humans on this planet are at the apex of complexity in this regard, because there are so many wildly different groups among us, so much distortion and so many wildly divergent ways of seeing our truths.
    -- Let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all, let the truth be known by all --

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anchor For This Post:

syrwong (14th July 2019), Wind (14th July 2019)

14. Link to Post #8
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Anchor (here)
    The examples in the OP may be poorly chosen but the premise is correct IMO.

I think we show up here in life with a laundry list of lessons to work through and if we don't derive the necessary wisdom and learning, the learning catalyst is repeated in creative ways until the lesson grasped and any attendant karmic fallout resolved.

Groups of humans and the Nations formed from those groups similarly go through this, and if the learning catalyst fails to achieve the higher learning objectives then they repeat.

On our path way to living as a harmonious human societal complex, we have much to learn.
    Nations work in a similar way as individuals. The difference now is many rogue nations are given the power of total destruction. We don't have another time to learn.

15. Link to Post #9
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Quote Posted by syrwong (here)

I think maybe some people here are taking issue with some very large brush strokes you are painting with.

To lay the blame of the third(or is it the second or fourth i am not sure) franco prussian war, which you are calling WW1, seems to be a little too simplistic.

There is an excellent podcast called Revolutions by a man named Mike Duncan. I highly recommend you give the whole series a listen as it will cover many of the events that set the stage for the various Franco Prussian(and then later German) wars.

There is also a very excellent series about the rise of Japanese Imperialism from the Meiji restoration onward by Dan Carlin on his podcast Hardcore History.
    It was wonderful and will give you a good understanding of the position Japan was running up to WW2. Yes Pearl Harbor happened but have you ever thought about how it got to that point.

I do agree with some of the points you make about Japan. Their reposition of the military is worrisome and I believe there is still a very strong potential for right wing nationalist to get more power as many are apathetic towards politics from my experience.

The last point I want to throw out there is: Germany is definitely NOT the head of NATO. They are a major member and there are many NATO installations in the countries, as well as US DOD bases. But they are most definitely not the head.

+ Reply to Thread