+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudflare drops 8chan

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 times in 762 posts

Default Cloudflare drops 8chan

Now here's a dilemma....free speech or ?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cloudflare drops 8chan as a client after mass shootings, calling it ‘a cesspool of hate’

Published: Aug 4, 2019 10:51 p.m. ET
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cl...=mw_latestnews

Network provider’s CEO says it had to act in internet’s best interest

The gunman who killed 20 people Saturday in El Paso, Texas, posted a racist, anti-immigrant manifesto on 8chan shortly before his attack.

On Sunday, Fredrick Brennan, who created 8chan but has since disavowed it, called for its owner — Nevada-based N.T. Technology — to “do the world a favor” and shut down the anonymous, unmoderated message board.

“Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident,” Prince said in the Cloudflare blog post. “Nearly the same thing happened on 8chan before the terror attack in Christchurch, New Zealand. . . . 8chan has repeatedly proven itself to be a cesspool of hate.”

Cloudflare made a similar move in 2017, dropping the neo-Nazi website the Daily Stormer as a client. Prince wrote Sunday that he realized the move was unlikely to keep 8chan off the internet, as a Cloudflare competitor will likely take its place. “They are no longer Cloudflare’s problem, but they remain the Internet’s problem,” he said.

Separately, Tucows Inc., the company that controls 8chan’s domain-name registration, said it had no plans to block the site, according to the New York Times
    Last edited by ramus; 5th August 2019 at 13:55.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Arcturian108 (5th August 2019), Clarity (6th August 2019), ClearWater (5th August 2019), CurEus (5th August 2019), Hervé (5th August 2019), Matt P (5th August 2019), Matthew (5th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), Orph (5th August 2019), Sophocles (6th August 2019), Tintin (5th August 2019), Valerie Villars (5th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Cloudflare drops 8chan

Bill Ryan as told us of behavior when Avalon first started, how disgusting a was. Disrespect, hate, bulling .. he had to shut it down and start over again. 8chan has no mod's it's a free for all, and now a board for murders to post their manifesto's. How does one regulate it, or if at all, without being accused of censorship. Anyone?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

Bill Ryan (5th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), Tintin (6th August 2019), wondering (5th August 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,860 times in 11,838 posts

ramus with respect--you cant compare the early days of Avalon with 8chan and what happened there.
    To the best of my memory there was a lot of respect and love in the original Avalon--I was there--smiling.
    Chris
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

6. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

avid (6th August 2019), Axman (6th August 2019), Bill Ryan (5th August 2019), ClearWater (5th August 2019), enigma3 (5th August 2019), Franny (5th August 2019), jjjones (7th August 2019), Kryztian (5th August 2019), Mark (5th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), ramus (5th August 2019), Sue (Ayt) (5th August 2019), Tintin (6th August 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    ramus with respect--you cant compare the early days of Avalon with 8chan and what happened there.
    To the best of my memory there was a lot of respect and love in the original Avalon--I was there--smiling.
    Chris
    I wasn't comparing Avalon to 8chan I was pointing out how out of control a forum can get, especially with no over site, Bill did say he had to shut it down and start again, and screened who was let in.
    Last edited by ramus; 5th August 2019 at 14:23.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

avid (6th August 2019), Bill Ryan (5th August 2019), greybeard (5th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), Tintin (6th August 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,304 times in 950 posts

Oh, quote of the day :

Quote If you don’t know what 8chan is, well it’s like 4chan but without the sense of decency. If you don’t know what 4chan is, it’s like reddit went off its medication.

Source : ZeroHedge's 8chan: Another Mass Shooting, Another Internet Purge

10. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Clear Light For This Post:

Arcturian108 (5th August 2019), avid (6th August 2019), Bill Ryan (5th August 2019), Cara (6th August 2019), Franny (5th August 2019), greybeard (5th August 2019), ichingcarpenter (5th August 2019), liderr (5th August 2019), Matthew (5th August 2019), Mike (5th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), ramus (5th August 2019), Strat (5th August 2019), Tintin (5th August 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,015 times in 784 posts

My mother told me years ago.....if you would not say it to someone's face do not post it online.

Were I working for an alphabet soup agency I certainly would want 8Chan up and running.just to track down the nutjobs at the breaking point.
    Noting with considerable dismay these terribly unbalanced people are purportedly recruited by said same agencies to commit heinous acts against others...initial reports in the latest horrible shootings indicate several shooters. The false narratives are falling apart before they begin....are we more awake now?

Are the challenges to the dissemination of controlled information disruptive?
    Are counter observations by eyewitnesses TOO inconvenient?
    Several investigative books about Sandy Hook are now banned from publication.....same with 911 and other horrors. Albeit 911 is being continually and professionally challenged.

Even my elderly mother is yelling at nightly newscasts in disgust...."how stupid do they think we are!!??" as she rolls her eyes and tosses the remote at the wall.

And now anyone questioning the narrative is a "conspiracy theorist" and soon to be labelled a "domestic terrorist" noting the godlike website/forum is considering re branding itself as an investigative journalism site, and just banned all anonymous non paid subscribers from posting....some believe they have done so that they cannot be set up as a "hate site" and summarily crushed and wiped off the internet. I expect other forums may be facing similar challenges....they initially branded themselves as " the lunatic fringe"...guess were all citizen journalists now......?

Bill should make an online course for us to take....he's already posted immensely helpful discourses on discernment, forum/topic hijacking among others....there is no such mentoring at any other forum I have come across.

This is why I have so much respect for our members and moderators....we tend not to fall into truly banal hate talk, and it is caught quickly. But we will respectfully challenge architects and mechanisms of control with a deep analysis that goes beyond any race/religion/cult that are often just proxies for agendas. We try to see beyond the blatantly obvious. I am not certain we get it perfectly correct always. I don't think any one person can, but as a collective.....we ( mostly) do listen reflect and consider many facets of scenarios. This allows us to see agendas within the agendas within the agendas.....also why I tend to be of the opinion, no one human is smart enough to plan and execute an agenda over milennia. Not even a an immortal savant.

Jeez don't they ever just get bored planning global domination and the total corruption of humanity....? Nothing better to do?

If this censorship continues we'll be back in the dark ages...

12. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to CurEus For This Post:

Arcturian108 (5th August 2019), avid (6th August 2019), Bill Ryan (5th August 2019), Clear Light (5th August 2019), Constance (5th August 2019), Franny (5th August 2019), greybeard (6th August 2019), Ivy23 (5th August 2019), jjjones (7th August 2019), Matt P (5th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), ramus (5th August 2019), Sue (Ayt) (5th August 2019), Tintin (6th August 2019), Valerie Villars (5th August 2019), Wind (6th August 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,539 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by ramus (here)
    Bill Ryan as told us of behavior when Avalon first started, how disgusting a was. Disrespect, hate, bulling .. he had to shut it down and start over again.
    No, no, no — that's not what happened. Do read here.
    The first forum was shut down, and then re-opened anew, with all the existing members invited to individually re-apply. The cause was the prominence of one particular controversial thread that split the entire community, and also the moderators team. It provoked very strong feelings, out-of-control posting, and irreparable fractures in friendships.

I was away at the time all this blew up (in early 2010: the forum had been going 18 months, highly successfully as greybeard notes), and the decision to relaunch from scratch was taken by Richard, then the senior admin.

The moral of the story may be that we should never scoff at the idea that one particular highly-charged topic, pushed energetically by a small number of individuals, can destroy a whole community.

14. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

avid (6th August 2019), Axman (6th August 2019), ByTheNorthernSea (5th August 2019), Clear Light (5th August 2019), Constance (5th August 2019), Frank V (6th August 2019), Franny (5th August 2019), Gracy (5th August 2019), greybeard (5th August 2019), jjjones (7th August 2019), Kate (6th August 2019), Kryztian (6th August 2019), muxfolder (8th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), ramus (5th August 2019), Sadieblue (6th August 2019), Sophocles (6th August 2019), Tintin (6th August 2019), Valerie Villars (5th August 2019), Yoda (6th August 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Bill: Sorry about that, I took it another way .... I stand corrected .......

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ramus For This Post:

avid (6th August 2019), Bill Ryan (5th August 2019), Constance (5th August 2019), Franny (6th August 2019), greybeard (6th August 2019), Nasu (5th August 2019), Tintin (6th August 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

Cloudflare may not be the fine upstanding company it portrays itself to be:

Quote iSucker: Big Brother Internet Culture
    By Yasha Levine

The other day The eXiled received an offer to sign up for a free security service called CloudFlare that’s supposed to provide security and reliability. Basically, CloudFlare can keep a website running in the event of a DDoS attack by routing all web requests through its servers, allowing it to analyze and reject traffic that it thinks is coming from hostile sources. CloudFlare also keeps a cached version of a website and serves it from its own data centers, which should increase speed and allow the site to be accessed in the event of a server crash.

I looked into the service, and it seemed legit. Tech blogs sing CloudFlare’s praises, and the company was recently named a “technology pioneer” by the world financial elite at the World Economic Forum in Davos:

Quote CloudFlare streamlines its members’ Web traffic through a dozen servers around the world, optimizing the data stream in the process while shielding it from the parasites and predators that increasingly contribute to Web congestion. On the average, websites that join the CloudFlare community and use its intelligent network operate at double the speed of conventional Internet traffic. … The government of Turkey recently signed up with CloudFlare to keep its election website from melting down from the expected surge in traffic and as an added protection against denial of service attacks.
    Now that would be fine, except for one thing: the people who founded CloudFlare were behind something called Project Honey Pot, a service that positions itself as some kind of a grassroot-y antispam registry, but in reality seems to be a pro-corporate law enforcement tool with the specific aim of entrapping and prosecuting spammers/phishing scammers in a way that’s friendly to the marketing industry , and without “violating the rights of marketers”–yeah, because marketers have rights, dude!

QuoteProject Honey Pot network serves as a resource for government law enforcement officials to monitor e-mail address harvesting and subsequent sending.Uniquely, our system allows those prosecuting cases to link the senders of e-mail and the harvesters of e-mail addresses. Our product is the first and only one that allows enforcement officials to start their investigation earlier in the spam cycle.
    On top of that, CloudFlare’s CEO Matthew Prince made a weird, glib admission that he decided to start the company only after the Department of Homeland Security gave him a call in 2007 and suggested he take the technology behind Project Honey Pot one step further…

And that makes CloudFlare a whole different story: People who sign up for the service are allowing CloudFlare to monitor, observe and scrutinize all of their site’s traffic, which makes it much easier for intel or law enforcement agencies to collect info on websites and without having to hack or request the logs from each hosting company separately. But there’s more. Because CloudFlare doesn’t just passively monitor internet traffic but works like a dynamic firewall to selectively block traffic from sources it deems to be “hostile,” website operators are giving it a whole lotta power over who gets to see their content. The whole point of CloudFlare is to restrict access to websites from specific locations/IP addresses on the fly, without notifying or bothering the website owner with the details. It’s all boils down to a question of trust, as in: do you trust a shady company with known intel/law enforcement connections to make that decision?

And here is an added bonus for the paranoid: Because CloudFlare partially caches websites and delivers them to web surfers via its own servers, the company also has the power to serve up redacted versions of the content to specific users. CloudFlare is perfect: it can implement censorship on the fly, without anyone getting wise to it!

Right now CloudFlare says it monitors nearly 1/5 of all Internet visits. An astounding claim for a company most people haven’t even heard of. And techie bloggers seem very excited about getting as much Internet traffic routed through them as possible!

Quote About an hour ago we crossed 10 billion page views having been powered by CloudFlare over the last 30 days. … To put it in perspective, that means more than 13% of worldwide Internet visitors passed through our network at least once in the last month. That’s almost 100 million more unique visitors than Twitter, and more than 3 billion more page views than Wikipedia, over the same period.
    People are suckers: It can’t be Big Brother if it has a design-y logo like this:

PS: As it turns out, CouldFlare was named a “technology pioneer” along with Palantir at the last Davos conference. And everyone remembers what Palantir is all about, right?

Quote The bank and the chamber do not appear to have directly solicited the spylike services of HBGary Federal. Rather, HBGary Federal offered to do the work for Hunton & Williams, a corporate law firm that has represented them.

A Hunton & Williams spokesman did not comment. But spokesmen for Bank of America and the chamber said Friday that they had not known about the presentations and that HBGary Federal was never hired on their behalf. A chamber spokesman characterized the proposal as “abhorrent.”

Since the hacked e-mails appeared on a file-sharing network several days ago, a broad range of bloggers and journalists have been scouring them and discussing highlights on the Internet. The New York Times also obtained a copy of the archive.

One document that has received particular attention is a PowerPoint presentation that said a trio of data-related companies — HBGary Federal, Palantir Technologies and Berico Technologies — could help attack WikiLeaks, which is rumored to be preparing to release internal e-mails from Bank of America.
    From: http://exiledonline.com/isucker-big-...ernet-culture/
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

18. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

avid (6th August 2019), Bill Ryan (6th August 2019), Clarity (6th August 2019), ClearWater (6th August 2019), Ewan (25th August 2023), Frank V (6th August 2019), Hervé (6th August 2019), ramus (6th August 2019), Sophocles (6th August 2019), Tintin (6th August 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I would say I was surprise, but I can't. In the street they say "get down first" it looks like they are. Control the narrative .

+ Reply to Thread