Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Robots (on the verge of) entering society

1. Link to Post #21
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

Default Re: Robots (on the verge of) entering society

There’s a large dose of fear-mongering and anti-China propaganda in this piece (to be expected from a tabloid style media outlet). Probably the “western” based arms industry is upset they didn’t win the deal.

Quote Chinese killer robots sold to Middle East will leave 'every human dead'

Fears that 'fully autonomous' military drones sold by China to Middle East countries could have dire results with the machines able to decide on who lives and dies

BY TIM HANLON
    17:52, 14 NOV 2019

Fears over military 'killer robots'(Image: Supplied)

China is selling its most advanced “fully autonomous” military drones with fears that it could lead to a bloodbath in the Middle East.

The Asian superpower is reportedly selling AI-enhanced combat drones to the region, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Prof Toby Walsh, of the University of NSW, in Australia, said: “They would be impossible to defend yourself against.

“Once the shooting starts, every human on the battlefield will be dead.”

China have reportedly sold the drones to Middle East countries(Image: Supplied)

US Defence Sec Mark Esper has said that China is selling drones programmed to decide themselves who lives or dies.

He told a conference on Artificial Intelligence: “As we speak, the Chinese government is already exporting some of its most advanced military aerial drones to the Middle East as it prepares to export its next generation stealth UAVs when those come online.

“In addition, Chinese weapons manufacturers are selling drones advertised as capable of full autonomy including the ability to conduct lethal, targeted strikes.”

An Australian outlet, news.com.au, reports that a state controlled Chinese defence company is negotiating the sale of its Blowfish A3 armed helicopter drone to Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.

Dr Malcolm Davis, an Australian Strategic Policy Institute analyst says that it is not strange there is no debate over the sales in China.

He reportedly said: “This isn’t a surprise.

The drones have the ability to decide 'who lives and dies'(Image: Supplied)
    “Authoritarian adversaries do not need to conduct the same domestic debate on lethal autonomous weapons as western liberal democracies, because they are not answerable to their people.

“There is no ‘ban killer robots’ movement in China or Russia. The regimes are simply developing and deploying the weapons – and in this case - exporting them to similar regimes in the Middle East.”

The US military though are planning an ethics code for Artificial Intelligence use.

Western countries are planning to tackle the “killer robots” with unmanned systems which humans can override.

Dr Davis said: “While we will ensure our unmanned systems have humans ‘on the loop’ with political oversight into use, it is quite possible that our adversaries will equip with fully autonomous lethal systems.

“That could give them an advantage in a future war.”
    From: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...mpression=true
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th November 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 456,558 times in 32,726 posts

Default Re: Robots (on the verge of) entering society

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Quote Posted by shaberon (here)
    Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Partially yes, but growing organs like that doesn't allow you to enhance them, which is something we will need later on, and if the tech is available to do it you can bet it will be used

Like better breathing under water, or space, or hearts that can resist better than a normal heart would. Better hands that can perform better surgeries, better eyes to go with those hands, and so
    Why would you specifically say we need to make enhanced organs?

I am not sure what to think about indelible "alterations" to the human being or species. I tend to agree with that aspect of medicine that responds to trauma and to acute conditions, and am leery of a good bit of the other stuff.

The non-human marriages and bonding with an android is beyond me. I cannot remotely relate to what must be the motivations of a lot of people.
    It won't be possible to live in space or do long trips to other planets with the way current humans are built, humans organs need to be enhanced before being able to do long space travel or living long term out there in space

https://www.labiotech.eu/features/bi...-space-travel/
    ~~~

See this thread: (I put the title in quotes as I'm not convinced I fully agree with the premise!)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

aoibhghaire (15th November 2019), Cara (15th November 2019), Mashika (15th November 2019), Yoda (16th November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2