+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 'The Family' - on Netflix

1. Link to Post #1
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,060 times in 646 posts

Default Have you seen 'The Family' documentary - on Netflix?

Interesting documentary on "The Family", "C Street" and US Politics.

Anyone else seen it?

thoughts, comments?
    Last edited by scotslad; 11th August 2019 at 10:43.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Deux Corbeaux (12th August 2019), Gemma13 (11th August 2019), toppy (11th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

Default Re: 'The Family' - on Netflix

Not yet. Thanks for the nod. Reviews are interesting. Will watch over next few weeks. Will be interesting to see if it has "Impact Potential" for mainstreamers.
    Last edited by Gemma13; 11th August 2019 at 02:50.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemma13 For This Post:

scotslad (11th August 2019), toppy (11th August 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,060 times in 646 posts

Based on executive producer Jeff Sharlet's books C Street: The Fundamentalist Threat to American Democracy and The Family: The Secret Fundamentalism at the Heart of American Power

It would appear that many US politicians from both D & R parties, have stayed at "C Street" in D.C., at heavily subsidised rates whilst in office. Putting "JESUS" and their fellowship first before anything and the leader with immense power and influence in D.C. likens it to the mafia in his PUBLIC speeches.
    Bi-partizan party members of the "organisation", prayer meetings, their own slim (5 book) version of the Bible and their influence stretches worldwide across many governments and organisations. (Reminded me a bit like Spectre in James Bond movies)

Quite startling documented revelations begin to come out. Witnesses, ex congressmen come forward with their accounts, and then....
    ...by episode 3, it really starts to get interesting...

The Family "organisation" - All a new one on me.

Makes you wonder who really is the "man at the top" and what really is his (and their) agenda?

Fascinating and educational stuff for sure.

A wee review here -

"As the series unfolds, Trump’s actions that are seen as inexplicable and irredeemable by the secular press – and full disclosure here: I’m worse than a secular member of the media, I’m a Unitarian – are revealed, through incredible leaps of logic and stunningly short-sighted Biblical interpretation, to actually be victories to this community that seeks power through proximity to important figures.

Trump is a “flawed vessel,” the “wolf king” that can wield power in Jesus’ name like no other. The Bible shows that great men can sin grievously – ever hear of King David and Bathsheba? In that light, his reprehensible actions don’t matter as much as the fact that Trump was chosen by a higher power, a selection that automatically puts him in a category unto himself. We are all Chosen, apparently, but some are much more Chosen than others and those people are to be deified.
    "

Continued here - https://www.indiewire.com/2019/08/th...ix-1202163377/

Anyone else seen it, know of the "The Family" got an opinion of it or the "fellowship" and its hold on what's been and is happening in D.C.
    Last edited by scotslad; 11th August 2019 at 08:16.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Franny (13th August 2019), Luxlucis (13th August 2019), toppy (11th August 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,050 times in 521 posts

I was aware of this group before the 2008 democratic primary between Obama and Hillary . Hillary had deep connections to this organization which went back years. I can no longer find those posts I did back then and the research I found with others I haven't seen the netflix doc yet but some of the stuff myself and others had found was real and alarming and yes it envelopes both parties and many top makers and shakers . Some of this goes back to the assassination of JFK and RFK because of the names that keep coming up.

I'll guess I'll watch it.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ichingcarpenter For This Post:

Franny (13th August 2019), scotslad (12th August 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Is this the same organization the does the annual Prayer Breakfast that every president is required to attend? As I recall, it is a Dominionist quasi-Christian organization that believes in a thousand year reich ... uh... I mean rule of the 2nd coming of Jesus. They have a boarding house where several congress creatures live. Dominionism is in wikipedia, check it out:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_theology

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Franny (13th August 2019), scotslad (13th August 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Australian
    Thanks
    Thanked 17,554 times in 2,528 posts

I watched the series. Yes it is the religious organization that host the Annual Prayer breakfast which Presidents attend and give a speech at. The Annual Prayer breakfast has evolved to global reach and is now hosted in multiple countries.

The doco is biased but definitely an eye opener with evidenced based information and interviews. I believe it’s a goodie for newbies beginning to question the reach of power and influence further up the chain of command. Another good expose of a powerful religious organization and their MO for steering social development.

Thanks again for the link.

+ Reply to Thread