Thread: Chopin masterpiece and Best Interpreters ever existed

1. Link to Post #1
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

Cool Chopin masterpiece and Best Interpreters ever existed

This song (ballade no.1 opus.23) is surely Chopin's masterpiece, but the video shows us something of an invaluable cultural dimension. Arthur Rubinstein considered to be Chopin's greatest interpreter ever, in my modest opinion of appreciator, was surpassed by this young pianist.

Play Chopin it's not so easy, because their songs are full of time beats contrasted by jarring, polyphony and melodic intensities, which Arthur Rubistein really did with a rigorous technical perfection, respecting the reading of musical paper. Simple as that, I repeat, respecting the original lecture writed by the brilliant author.

This girl not only does this, but indulges musical performance in a way that would surely leave even Arthur Rubinstein open-mouthed, slack-jawed, and eyes wide open, because it's impossible not to be enchanted by the ability of Natalie Schwamova, that I think lot of people don't know yet.

Last edited by RogeRio; 11th August 2019 at 11:04.

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

anandacate (11th August 2019), Anchor (11th August 2019), Anka (27th December 2019), Antagenet (12th August 2019), arpana (11th August 2019), Cara (13th August 2019), Cardillac (11th August 2019), Clear Light (11th August 2019), conk (12th August 2019), DeeMetrios (12th August 2019), Deux Corbeaux (11th August 2019), drneglector (12th August 2019), Elen (12th August 2019), enigma3 (12th August 2019), haroldsails (11th August 2019), Ioneo (11th August 2019), Ivanhoe (11th August 2019), littleOne (13th August 2019), Mare (11th August 2019), Olam (11th August 2019), Sadieblue (12th August 2019), Satori (11th August 2019), T Smith (11th August 2019), thepainterdoug (12th August 2019), toppy (11th August 2019), Valerie Villars (11th August 2019), wondering (11th August 2019), Zanshin (11th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Ivanhoe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,834 times in 1,859 posts

Default Re: Chopin masterpiece and Best Interpreters ever existed

This is well done, however, to me, there are several pieces of music I adore, but who I enjoy playing them depends on my very subjective emotional or intellectual mood at the time I'm listening to them.
    I love the Beethoven sonatas and listen to performances by Askenazy, Klemperer, and others, but my mood reflects who's performance I listen too. Same goes for Chopin.
    To say one performance (of anything) is the finest depends on personal perspective and taste.
    It's like trying to say who's the greatest sports figure.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ivanhoe For This Post:

anandacate (11th August 2019), drneglector (12th August 2019), enigma3 (12th August 2019), Peter UK (11th August 2019), RogeRio (11th August 2019), Sadieblue (12th August 2019), toppy (11th August 2019), Valerie Villars (11th August 2019), wondering (11th August 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,355 times in 338 posts

Thankyou rogparan, for starting this delightful thread.

I listened to the video of Natalie and although she is very talented, her playing, to my ears, is not as developed as it will be later on in life. I can give you a detailed analysis of this if you would like, but i would rather tell you a story.

My father was a violinist and when retired he had the good fortune to meet a pianist, who was also retired. After playing with her at her home, in private, he mentioned to me that he thought his own playing was getting better, because playing with her was elevating his own musicality. He said she was an amazing musician and I should come to listen to them play. So I did.

What I found was the most advanced musician I had ever heard. I became so enamored of listening to her play that one day I asked if I could lie down on the floor, underneath the grand piano so as to hear the music surround me. She said sure.

It was an overwhelming experience of beauty. Listening to Edith play was as if she opened up every pore of my being to beauty and pathos all at once.

At that time she was in her late 80's. An admirer had the sense to offer to record her with professional equipment, and so she played for us, a group of about
    15 people, and it was all recorded. It took several months for the recording to be completed, and when my father and I finally received it, Edith had passed on. We excitedly opened it and then my father had the idea... Let's listen to a recording of Arthur Rubinstein, and then Listen to Edith.

So we did. We listened to Arthur and enjoyed his recording. Then we put Edith on.

We Both Began To Cry.

We had known she was great. Really great. But only after hearing that recording did we both agree. We might have known the best musician who ever lived.

Please have a listen to a little of Arthur.

And then... skip past the first part of the recording where we are all talking.. and listen to Edith.
    https://soundcloud.com/graci-dazl/02...e-f-maj-chopin

Sorry the recording is cut off at the end. Is worth listening to the whole thing as you get a feel for her incredible range of expression.

Here is an old Advertisement of one of her performances.
    https://www.adspast.com/store/custom...roductid=51793
    Last edited by Antagenet; 12th August 2019 at 08:07.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

arpana (12th August 2019), enigma3 (12th August 2019), Ivanhoe (12th August 2019), RogeRio (12th August 2019), toppy (12th August 2019), Zanshin (12th August 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Relatively rare names here:

Sofronitsky

Horszowski
    Last edited by Cara; 12th August 2019 at 08:40. Reason: Added YouTube video insert codes

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wmel For This Post:

Antagenet (14th August 2019), arpana (12th August 2019), enigma3 (12th August 2019), Ivanhoe (12th August 2019), RogeRio (12th August 2019), toppy (12th August 2019), Valerie Villars (12th August 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,237 times in 3,167 posts

rogparen/ love the thread she's wonderful and like fluid . many hours and dedication!

but on an ancillary note, you have a quote on the bottom //

here I am, but I don't belong to this world
    So, nothing there are here belongs to me.

should that be nothing there OR here?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

conk (12th August 2019), RogeRio (12th August 2019), toppy (12th August 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

Quote Posted by Antagenet (here)
    I can give you a detailed analysis of this if you would like.
    of course I'll like!
    I think it's great that others can also enjoy sensitive and debugged analysis. They are very useful for learning how to refine individual perception.

I didn't register some of mine for not to sound dazzled (lol). I knowed Natalie when she was a little girl, playing Chopin on festival, technically perfect. I found extraordinary because the level of difficulty that she performs is tall for a young girl.

From another side, after listening many recordings, I concluded that the most perfect one about Chopin was recorded by RCA (vinyl long play), with Arthur Rubinstein, of course. So, to my ears, who comes closest Mr.Rubinstein is that girl, not just for one song, but for all the Chopin's work performances.

My main point of analysis is not restricted to a one performance but to the artist's potential. Because she is a young, playing at level equivalent to old experienced, I considered her comparable for her potential. Of course, its a hope subjective meaning I wish she achieved one day, Who Knows ?

In the home video above (ballad no.1), there are times when the piano looks small and she even abuses the piano, which is not very pretty, but only in some more intense passages. I don't think it's fair to criticize for that, because the beauty of well played is all there.

I suggest (for all music lovers here) watch this other Natalie video, with more professional record resources (Scherzo no.2 Op.31). The melody is not so subtil as the ballad no.1 is, but it's a must see too. Enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ2yYUL8T58

PS - I liked the musics posted here, and even downloaded the recordings. The Horszowski nocturne Op.9 (I did play it myself, at young times) reminded me great moments of musical inspiration. Thank you All - I feel young again !

I am thinking posting here The Concert for Violin D maj, Tchaikovsky, another masterpiece with an amazing story.
    Last edited by RogeRio; 13th August 2019 at 05:39. Reason: bad english

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

Anka (27th December 2019), Antagenet (14th August 2019), toppy (12th August 2019), Wmel (13th August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread