+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canadian protest should be example to other countries

1. Link to Post #1
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

Wink Canadian protest should be example to other countries ?

Last edited by RogeRio; 16th August 2019 at 22:59.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

avid (16th August 2019), DeDukshyn (16th August 2019), Earth Angel (16th August 2019), East Sun (16th August 2019), Franny (16th August 2019), Ioneo (16th August 2019), Kotch (16th August 2019), Nasu (16th August 2019), Rich (16th August 2019), TomKat (16th August 2019), toppy (16th August 2019), Wind (16th August 2019), yelik (16th August 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,466 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Canadian protest should be example to other countries

Do keep in mind this is in Quebec - and the stats presented only represents healthcare in Quebec.

The news article image above says that the average Canadian doctor makes $403,500 per year - this out of context. The real stat is that specialized doctors in Quebec specifically, make that, and GPs in Quebec make an average of ~$225,000 per year. No data on the rest of Canada in the article.

Quote The letter says recent pay raises negotiated by their professional associations as “shocking”, given the “draconian cuts” that have left nurses, orderlies and others overworked and underpaid, as well as led to a widespread lack of services for patients.
    So I guess their "professional associations" who do the negotiating with the Provincial government is like a union of sorts, only gunning for more and more, without ever looking at the entire healthcare ecosystem, nor caring. That's what it looks like to me. I've seen an out of control union bankrupt a company and put hundreds out of work, because the lost sight of what they are supposed to do in the quest to only ever push for more and more in their continuous "battle" with a company.

That said, great to see people standing up and doing the right thing instead of lining their pocketbooks for a change - kudos to all those doctors!

BTW some extra stats on Canadian GP pay - the average across Canada is $144,000 -- so yeah, those doctors in Quebec are overpaid already, if their GP average is almost 100k more than that.

https://www.payscale.com/research/CA..._Doctor/Salary
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 16th August 2019 at 16:27.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Franny (16th August 2019), Nasu (16th August 2019), RogeRio (16th August 2019), Valerie Villars (16th August 2019), Wind (16th August 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

Thanks so much to DeDukshyn to clarify the whole circumstances. I think this protest are emblematic.

For me, the doctors are protesting about the overwork and underpaid of the others health workers,
    which in a way is commendable, but doesn't solve the whole problem of the canadian health service.

The money returned will certainly not be reversed to meet what the population health services needs.

--edit--
    I just put one "?" in title
    Last edited by RogeRio; 16th August 2019 at 22:59.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

DeDukshyn (16th August 2019), Franny (16th August 2019), Nasu (16th August 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,034 times in 1,088 posts

My cynical side says that this will be used against them to pay them less, while the money saved will be spent elsewhere, not necessarily where it is most needed...x... N

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nasu For This Post:

DeDukshyn (16th August 2019), RogeRio (16th August 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member Fellow Aspirant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 times in 1,002 posts

Quote Posted by rogparan (here)
    Thanks so much to DeDukshyn to clarify the whole circumstances. I think this protest are emblematic.

For me, the doctors are protesting about the overwork and underpaid of the others health workers,
    which in a way is commendable, but doesn't solve the whole problem of the canadian health service.

The money returned will certainly not be reversed to meet what the population health services needs.
    Actually, there is no such thing as a "Canadian" health care service, since health care is 'balkanized' into a separate system for each province. The workers in each system urge its province to 'keep up with' the one with the best service in each area. Some provinces are richer and fund their health care better than some others. That said, there are some provinces that provide better care in some areas than others, and even have specific programs for particular patients that are not mirrored in others. It's a complicated set of systems, and some Canadians will even relocate to a different province to avail themselves of a treatment that is not offered in their 'home' province.
    B.
    A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe," a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest—a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

Albert E.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fellow Aspirant For This Post:

DeDukshyn (16th August 2019), Nasu (16th August 2019), RogeRio (16th August 2019)

+ Reply to Thread