+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jack Ma vs Elon Musk

1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Jack Ma vs Elon Musk

Hi Folks,

I really enjoyed watching this debate.

Feels like a very different path being expressed by the two.

The level of respect in the argumentation towards each other is admireable, I think.

Last edited by JJA; 8th September 2019 at 17:55.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to JJA For This Post:

Alekahn2 (8th September 2019), Antagenet (9th September 2019), Bill Ryan (8th September 2019), edina (8th September 2019), Gracy (8th September 2019), Michi (8th September 2019), RogueEllis (8th September 2019), Star Tsar (10th September 2019), toppy (8th September 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States On Sabbatical
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,671 times in 266 posts

Default Re: Jack Ma vs Elon Musk

I agree with you about the different paths and respect between the two. I think Jack Ma owned the debate, but then, I don't really care for Elon Musk.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RogueEllis For This Post:

Michi (8th September 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,200 times in 436 posts

I started listening to the debate.
    A bit weird - Elon talks about the low input bandwidth of smartphones, which is only two two-finger input - however omitting voice control input (like Siri or Google) and then he continues with high input bandwidth (while probably meaning high output bandwidth).
    Anyhow - I will listen to the end ...
    Last edited by Michi; 8th September 2019 at 21:49. Reason: grammar
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

6. Link to Post #4
    Language
    German
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,200 times in 436 posts

So, I finished watching the video and find the words from Jack Ma wiser stressing to improve earth (instead of AI playing chess against humans).

Elon seems to be mainly pushing his Neuralink live extension research (stopping the DNA clock - in his own words).

This seems to be the AI endgame, trapping human spirits infinitely in machines - thank you very much!
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own."
    -- Benjamin Disraeli

7. Link to Post #5
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Right at about 3:30 in the conversation, Elon hits home with me that we are already cyborgs, citing that without our phones we feel like we are missing a limb.

True is it not?

8. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Michi (here)
    So, I finished watching the video and find the words from Jack Ma wiser stressing to improve earth (instead of AI playing chess against humans).
    I would have agreed with you until he stated, without qualifying it or providing an alternative, 'I don't worry about jobs!' (I don't think he was talking about Steve here...)
    As a billionaire he at that point sounded like just another rapacious capitalist, completely unable to consider the plight of the less fortunate.

Which is not to say that I completely buy Musk's story either. In his case, I feel his concern for the future of humanity is a bit abstract, in that he seems to have very little concern about the travails of the average man. (Witness his treatment of low level Tesla production employees...)
    The species that he seeks to preserve on Mars as a 'Multi planet species' I suspect will be a hand selected group of elite scientists and entrepreneurs. As the rest of us cook on Earth, he would I expect think about survival of the fittest...
    Last edited by Cara; 10th September 2019 at 06:17. Reason: Fixed quotation tags

9. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 times in 336 posts

Jack is completely uninformed about how AI will advance. I bet Elon was bored out of his mind.

10. Link to Post #8
    Indonesia Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,615 times in 274 posts

FYI, Jack Ma is no longer owner of Alibaba - he was forced to relinquish ownership to 5 unknown signatories from the CCP, and currently under surveillance 24/7 by "bodyguards" assigned to him wherever he goes, including this conference... he's not allowed to speak to anyone who hasn't been pre-approved by the CCP - no exception with Elon Musk due to Elon's involvement with the CCP for special treatment and arrangements regarding his GigaFactory 3 in China. No trust to any of them. Jack Ma life in on the line if he simply steps out of line.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spade For This Post:

AuCo (10th September 2019), Star Tsar (10th September 2019)

12. Link to Post #9
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

I wonder if Elon is privy to some kind of future knowledge he seems determined to "secure the future, future of consciousness"
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

13. Link to Post #10
    Language
    Interlac
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,690 times in 13,806 posts

One thing is clear to me after listening to these two gentlemen is that the human race has much work to do.
    I for one will join in with anyone, I don't care what color you are as long as you want to change this miserable condition that exists on this Earth - Malcolm X / Tsar Of The Star

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Tsar For This Post:

Michi (10th September 2019)

+ Reply to Thread