Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Millennials and mental health

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Millennials and mental health

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Hello,

I've been reading this thread since it opened and i have about to post several times but i backtracked so many times. Have to say that i did not want to turn this into an "Us vs them" scenario, or even worse "Me vs you" :/

But i think there's some kind of disconnection between previous generation and current one, or "Generation Z" and younger "Millennials" (I don't love labels )

I'm not feeling very comfortable addressing this, very honestly, so i would just like to point a few things and then let the conversation continue.

So here are some point from my side, i guess i could say "from the other perspective" and i don't mean to disrespect anyone i'm just trying to voice my perspective of things ok guys?

1. I'm expected to know everything, because i'm younger and "young people are smart and learn fast"
    2. If i get to work and do something better than the older guy, then i'm trying to make him/her look bad or showing off
    3. I have to learn at least 3 times the amount of stuff people from previous generations had to learn, to do the same job, and do it on the same amount of hours/months/years
    4. I'm expected to know it all because i am expected to be "professional" and point number 1
    5. But don't ever question the person with more experience because obviously you can't know more than someone with 20 years of experience "you kids think you know it all"
    6. If you answer a question with stuff the elders don't understand, you mostly get shutdown on your proposal, since they can't control it and its "going to get out of control" in my hands, because i'm young and inexperienced
    7. If a new project that requires modern technologies comes around and no elder knows or cares to learn about it, then it falls on the younglings, "because they are smart and learn faster and are better prepared"
    8. If said project fails then it's because of the younglings, because "they are too young and don't know how things work and are very unexperienced to take it on, we should have used older technologies we all understand and are well set and proven"

I had an experience some weeks ago, basically trying to point out some issues with someone's opinion, it went something like this

Me: "This may be wrong because of this reason"
    He: "Young lady, i know you have read a lot of books, but i am older than you, and i have read even more, when you were drinking your milk i was already reading more advanced books than you are right now. So go to sleep and let me handle this"

That kind of attitude i have seen a lot in the past year, since i started 'working", it almost seems like i should expect it

I'm not bitter no Just want to point out something that seems to be missing on this conversation but i believe someone mentioned a bit about it

Basically, you are young so you are expected to deal with everything older people can't, but at the same time you are not capable because you are young.

If you succeed, great! Keep working hard!
    If you fail, bad! You are young and dumb, maybe we made a mistake with you

We are hired with a miserable salary but expected to act like we have 10+ years of experience. Any error is cause for possibly being let go, any success is just a normal day. Don't tell the kid she's smart, she may believe it, if she succeeds, let's just tell her she did fine, but if she fails, let's hit her with the entire misery we carry on our souls so she becomes like us

LMAO

Yes i know i'm taking things out of proportion, but the general message i want to say is this. There's a lot of expectations from people who also will constantly remind you that you can't be better or smarter because you must be dumber because you are just a kid and don't think your education is better than my experience

So after all that rant The question would be

Who would love to live a life like that? Would you not just say f*k it i don't need this, i need to go away from this toxicity?

I think there's a big disconnection between each generation, starting from the fact that people don't realise that younger generations have to learn all the past generation's stuff plus the new stuff, adding a new layer on top of it while still being required to achieve more in the same amount of time and without any complaining or they are considered weak because "in my days..."

It seems we are on a constant loop. I wonder if someday i will have grand children and i will tell them, i was 22 when A.I. really started to become smart!

And they will say "Yeeeeeees grandma you said that before, i'll go to the moon now in my home built space scooter, see you in three days granny!"

The thing is, i will probably bully them a lot, maybe causing them to not want to be around me or my "experienced self" much more than going to the store to pick up a can of soda

Then i will think they are ill or not well mentally because i have my own set of rules about life they don't want to participate in (therefore they are weak/mentally unhealthy because i was able to live through all of it and they can't/will not suffer through it as i did)

I'm not trying to antagonize anyone so please forgive if i'm seem rude or hateful, i'm just trying to show how it feels to be on this side and how it is mostly overlooked when considering causes of the "health" problem this thread is about
    You heard of crystal children? If so do you think that you are one? Many crystal children are being born in generation Z. https://psychicelements.com/blog/cry...stal-children/

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyran.Sun For This Post:

Mashika (11th October 2019), Sadieblue (13th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

70s & 80s babies are the link between the old skool & the new skool. We experienced a good glimpse of the old times & are the catalyst to the new times. Many of us older millenials 80s babies aren't the snowflakes micro aggression REEE kind of people.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyran.Sun For This Post:

guayabal (11th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,866 times in 2,592 posts

Interesting point, Mashika. I do remember the very same challenges when I was young and in entry-level positions, and of course dealing with the many personalities in the workplace remains a given for us all.

It does make me think, however, that the exponential acceleration of information must be intensifying these challenges. And the time-frame between these challenges does appear to be shortening. (as between Z's and Millenials) Wonder what the outcome will eventually be?
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Mashika (11th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

delete it all.
    Last edited by Kamikaze; 13th November 2020 at 18:09.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kamikaze For This Post:

Antagenet (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Mashika (11th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,331 times in 2,365 posts

All the vaccines they require of children nowadays makes me think of the biblical king who killed all the children in hopes of getting the messiah. Maybe there really are awakened kids being born and the elite are scared to death their world will change unless they cripple the generation?

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Deux Corbeaux (14th October 2019), East Sun (12th October 2019), Mashika (12th October 2019), T Smith (14th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,830 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    All the vaccines they require of children nowadays makes me think of the biblical king who killed all the children in hopes of getting the messiah. Maybe there really are awakened kids being born and the elite are scared to death their world will change unless they cripple the generation?
    That would be some conspiracy, but there are a lot of other countries where vaccines are not applied in the same way as in North America, and i don't think it would be possible to cover the entire world just to be sure no kid can escape it

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Ayt (here)
    Interesting point, Mashika. I do remember the very same challenges when I was young and in entry-level positions, and of course dealing with the many personalities in the workplace remains a given for us all.

It does make me think, however, that the exponential acceleration of information must be intensifying these challenges. And the time-frame between these challenges does appear to be shortening. (as between Z's and Millenials) Wonder what the outcome will eventually be?
    This was very interesting, i think a lot of people miss that fact that there's always more to learn than the previous generation but the time frames are the same for school and the metrics at work are expected to be the same as before, even if the work requires a lot more effort or knowledge and maybe that's why we start seeing things like the Boeing issues and crashes?
    Tired

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), shaberon (12th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,104 times in 4,066 posts

But Strat - after the sun goes down there's still plenty to do!
    I used to use that for trying to become afraid of the "bogeyman" of any kind whatsoever, all that "fear of the dark" kind of stuff. If you face it, it goes away. Nothing of the kind fazes me any more.

To Mashika's point, yes, some of us at least understand and respect it. The knowledge base increased, so you have to do three times as much to get to "start", but then the experienced person is always "more important" than you.

Firstly, the "knowledge base" is a bit of a phony. For example in our Science forum, you can find the original Maxwell equations in quarternion form. They quit teaching this *immediately* due to the convenience of tensors, but, this format would have to be described as "incomplete".

Big Theories (Relativity, Evolution, Tectonic Plate Drift) marginalize, if not excommunicate, professional scientists who attempt to work around them.

Secondly, the "industry" really just cares about its bottom line. That's all. I have a science degree and never worked in the field. I'm something like an "aborted" Wade Frazier who posts here. He is a great example of what happens when you try to change something big. I realized there was not an industry that would do anything I believe in. And so I let it go because I did not want to hide in a trailer in the New Mexican desert to do some renegade project.

Academics aside, the main "lesson" I would hope to pass to the young is how to expose and kill the death cult that has its fingers in everything. Education and industry as we know them are death cult. Most people that we know are in it. Don't mouth off to your boss about it, but, be assured, there are those of us who are not at all pleased with the dehumanizing swindle that has forced these conditions onto us. Profit motive be damned. You know where the real treasure is.

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th October 2019), Antagenet (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (12th October 2019), Franny (13th October 2019), Mashika (12th October 2019), RunningDeer (12th October 2019), Sue (Ayt) (12th October 2019), Valerie Villars (12th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019), what is a name? (15th October 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Lyran.Sun (here)
    Hello,

I've been reading this thread since it opened and i have about to post several times but i backtracked so many times. Have to say that i did not want to turn this into an "Us vs them" scenario, or even worse "Me vs you" :/

But i think there's some kind of disconnection between previous generation and current one, or "Generation Z" and younger "Millennials" (I don't love labels )

I'm not feeling very comfortable addressing this, very honestly, so i would just like to point a few things and then let the conversation continue.

So here are some point from my side, i guess i could say "from the other perspective" and i don't mean to disrespect anyone i'm just trying to voice my perspective of things ok guys?

1. I'm expected to know everything, because i'm younger and "young people are smart and learn fast"
    2. If i get to work and do something better than the older guy, then i'm trying to make him/her look bad or showing off
    3. I have to learn at least 3 times the amount of stuff people from previous generations had to learn, to do the same job, and do it on the same amount of hours/months/years
    4. I'm expected to know it all because i am expected to be "professional" and point number 1
    5. But don't ever question the person with more experience because obviously you can't know more than someone with 20 years of experience "you kids think you know it all"
    6. If you answer a question with stuff the elders don't understand, you mostly get shutdown on your proposal, since they can't control it and its "going to get out of control" in my hands, because i'm young and inexperienced
    7. If a new project that requires modern technologies comes around and no elder knows or cares to learn about it, then it falls on the younglings, "because they are smart and learn faster and are better prepared"
    8. If said project fails then it's because of the younglings, because "they are too young and don't know how things work and are very unexperienced to take it on, we should have used older technologies we all understand and are well set and proven"

I had an experience some weeks ago, basically trying to point out some issues with someone's opinion, it went something like this

Me: "This may be wrong because of this reason"
    He: "Young lady, i know you have read a lot of books, but i am older than you, and i have read even more, when you were drinking your milk i was already reading more advanced books than you are right now. So go to sleep and let me handle this"

That kind of attitude i have seen a lot in the past year, since i started 'working", it almost seems like i should expect it

I'm not bitter no Just want to point out something that seems to be missing on this conversation but i believe someone mentioned a bit about it

Basically, you are young so you are expected to deal with everything older people can't, but at the same time you are not capable because you are young.

If you succeed, great! Keep working hard!
    If you fail, bad! You are young and dumb, maybe we made a mistake with you

We are hired with a miserable salary but expected to act like we have 10+ years of experience. Any error is cause for possibly being let go, any success is just a normal day. Don't tell the kid she's smart, she may believe it, if she succeeds, let's just tell her she did fine, but if she fails, let's hit her with the entire misery we carry on our souls so she becomes like us

LMAO

Yes i know i'm taking things out of proportion, but the general message i want to say is this. There's a lot of expectations from people who also will constantly remind you that you can't be better or smarter because you must be dumber because you are just a kid and don't think your education is better than my experience

So after all that rant The question would be

Who would love to live a life like that? Would you not just say f*k it i don't need this, i need to go away from this toxicity?

I think there's a big disconnection between each generation, starting from the fact that people don't realise that younger generations have to learn all the past generation's stuff plus the new stuff, adding a new layer on top of it while still being required to achieve more in the same amount of time and without any complaining or they are considered weak because "in my days..."

It seems we are on a constant loop. I wonder if someday i will have grand children and i will tell them, i was 22 when A.I. really started to become smart!

And they will say "Yeeeeeees grandma you said that before, i'll go to the moon now in my home built space scooter, see you in three days granny!"

The thing is, i will probably bully them a lot, maybe causing them to not want to be around me or my "experienced self" much more than going to the store to pick up a can of soda

Then i will think they are ill or not well mentally because i have my own set of rules about life they don't want to participate in (therefore they are weak/mentally unhealthy because i was able to live through all of it and they can't/will not suffer through it as i did)

I'm not trying to antagonize anyone so please forgive if i'm seem rude or hateful, i'm just trying to show how it feels to be on this side and how it is mostly overlooked when considering causes of the "health" problem this thread is about
    You heard of crystal children? If so do you think that you are one? Many crystal children are being born in generation Z. https://psychicelements.com/blog/cry...stal-children/

As much i can say.. нет

I as well as you can match a few things on that list, but i can tell i don't get sick, i'm extroverted, i'm not easy to bully among tons of things that don't match

But also one time a few years ago my mom looked at me and simply said "you have a dark soul" LMFAO

Who knows

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by shaberon (here)
    But Strat - after the sun goes down there's still plenty to do!
    I used to use that for trying to become afraid of the "bogeyman" of any kind whatsoever, all that "fear of the dark" kind of stuff. If you face it, it goes away. Nothing of the kind fazes me any more.

To Mashika's point, yes, some of us at least understand and respect it. The knowledge base increased, so you have to do three times as much to get to "start", but then the experienced person is always "more important" than you.

Firstly, the "knowledge base" is a bit of a phony. For example in our Science forum, you can find the original Maxwell equations in quarternion form. They quit teaching this *immediately* due to the convenience of tensors, but, this format would have to be described as "incomplete".

Big Theories (Relativity, Evolution, Tectonic Plate Drift) marginalize, if not excommunicate, professional scientists who attempt to work around them.

Secondly, the "industry" really just cares about its bottom line. That's all. I have a science degree and never worked in the field. I'm something like an "aborted" Wade Frazier who posts here. He is a great example of what happens when you try to change something big. I realized there was not an industry that would do anything I believe in. And so I let it go because I did not want to hide in a trailer in the New Mexican desert to do some renegade project.

Academics aside, the main "lesson" I would hope to pass to the young is how to expose and kill the death cult that has its fingers in everything. Education and industry as we know them are death cult. Most people that we know are in it. Don't mouth off to your boss about it, but, be assured, there are those of us who are not at all pleased with the dehumanizing swindle that has forced these conditions onto us. Profit motive be damned. You know where the real treasure is.
    I think there's not a single reason to figure it out, as it is right now

We may have to figure it out later on, but right now, i'ts better to let it go away, meanwhile people should focus on preparing and figuring it out the next step

< 3
    Tired

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Lyran.Sun (13th October 2019), shaberon (13th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,331 times in 2,365 posts

That would be some conspiracy, but there are a lot of other countries where vaccines are not applied in the same way as in North America, and i don't think it would be possible to cover the entire world just to be sure no kid can escape it[COLOR="red"]
    You don't need many people in on a conspiracy if the conspirators have enough money and religion at their disposal. In this case, scientism, or "better living through chemistry." Its adherents believe that the human race can and should be artificially improved, that a PhD trumps millennia of evolution, and humanity should be replaced by humanity 2.0, 3.0, etc. If you can't feel the forces of transhumanism at your back, you might be half way there already.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Valerie Villars (14th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,269 times in 3,170 posts

i didn't read all the post above, but regardless I feel for this generation and this time. this is all because of cell phones and computers. Being in my 60ies I will often just get written off as being old and out of touch, by this young generation, however this is just as narrow as me looking at them as stupid, empty headed and self centered.

there is no comparison , because those today weren't raised in my time frame and vice versa . I used to fix cars, change tires, build mechanical things, mini bikes and go carts, used to go fishing and do tons of outdoor stuff. now you can't do anything, can't go fishing need a freakin license to stick a pole in the water. can't fix a car unless your Einstein. they took it out of everyones hands and rigged the game.

If us older were born in this time, wed be doing and struggling the same. lying has been brought to an art form in politics, religion and everything. the cats out of the bag. no one believes in anything anymore. even music, albums, records with album covers!! it was great I looked at those albums and listened to that music late into night.

what does someone have now? no imagination! too much excess!! sickening .

god bless this young group of people , I'm so happy I had one son and never remarried. sad to say, its scary to see how zombied people are. I have no idea where its all going. and add 5 g to the equation .
    Last edited by thepainterdoug; 13th October 2019 at 02:12.

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th October 2019), Antagenet (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), ByTheNorthernSea (13th October 2019), Deux Corbeaux (14th October 2019), East Sun (12th October 2019), Franny (13th October 2019), mokosh (13th October 2019), Patient (14th October 2019), RunningDeer (12th October 2019), T Smith (14th October 2019), Valerie Villars (14th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 168,309 times in 18,139 posts

Deleted. Preachy.
    Last edited by RunningDeer; 13th October 2019 at 00:25.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th October 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,104 times in 4,066 posts

We may have to figure it out later on, but right now, i'ts better to let it go away, meanwhile people should focus on preparing and figuring it out the next step

< 3

Ah, it's really clear. Once Upon a Time a Good King had to give the people a Jubilee.

The Fairy Tale has been ended, purposefully, by someone who would like us to forget about it.

A government produces nothing, it must be compelled to serve the people by protecting them against those who control production. Historically, forgiveness of debts was part of that program.

Most of our problems would work themselves out if someone wasn't pushing the gas pedal in the other direction.

My next step is a 1,000 year plan.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Antagenet (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), thepainterdoug (13th October 2019), Valerie Villars (14th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

25. Link to Post #33
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks

Quote Posted by shaberon (here)

< 3

Ah, it's really clear. Once Upon a Time a Good King had to give the people a Jubilee.

The Fairy Tale has been ended, purposefully, by someone who would like us to forget about it.

A government produces nothing, it must be compelled to serve the people by protecting them against those who control production. Historically, forgiveness of debts was part of that program.

Most of our problems would work themselves out if someone wasn't pushing the gas pedal in the other direction.

My next step is a 1,000 year plan.
    I think i wrote that completely out of the context i meant to, so it doesn't make any sense but i just realized now after reading it back

I'm not sure now what i was trying to point out and what i was replying to back then. It doesn't make any sense to me, it doesn't stand alone by itself so i think it can be considered a dumb statement unless i can associate it with the text i tried to reply to. But i don't know what that was anymore :/
    Tired

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Antagenet (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Franny (15th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 times in 1,676 posts

It's an absolutely insane and absurd practice so there has to be some explanation. We may as well consider all possibilities. I personally think it's more of a "dumbing down" and "sickening" of the younger generations, so to render the younger generations more manageable (controllable), less fertile (population control), and to cull and thin the herd and lower the average life expectancy into the 50s and 60s. I suspect this won't become clear until 2050-2060 or so when millennials and the generations after them begin dropping like flies.

It's important to note this isn't a Big Pharma conspiracy--it's a social engineering conspiracy at a much higher level, of which Big Phama, which stands to gain multi-trillions, first on the vaccinations themselves but then mostly on the ensuing drugs and medical procedures and surgeries the vaccinations will necessitate throughout entire lifespans, is but a functional and useful asset. Greed is an asset of Power.

In the words of the very prominent 20th-century philosopher, social engineer, and Nobel Laureate Bertrand Russell:

"Diet, injections, and injunctions will combine, from a very early age, to produce the sort of character and the sort of beliefs that the authorities consider desirable..." Bertrand Russell, The Impact of Science on Society (1952)
    Last edited by T Smith; 14th October 2019 at 13:38.

28. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Alekahn2 (15th October 2019), Antagenet (15th October 2019), AutumnW (14th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Deux Corbeaux (14th October 2019), Franny (15th October 2019), Mike (14th October 2019), Sue (Ayt) (15th October 2019), Valerie Villars (14th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

29. Link to Post #35
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

T Smith,

Do you think people are becoming more stupid or that they think differently?

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Antagenet (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), T Smith (15th October 2019), Valerie Villars (14th October 2019), Victoria (14th October 2019)

31. Link to Post #36
    United States Avalon Member Victoria's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 times in 278 posts

I think this can go here, not sure, but it reminded me of TomKat's original post. Except, instead of just computers, this short video really focuses on how addictive phones are and how we are losing ourselves to these devices and superficiality in becoming detached from one another and living our lives through tech. My mother just sent this to me, thought it ironically on par. https://youtu.be/nKd2QVrQVIM

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Victoria For This Post:

Alecs (14th October 2019), AutumnW (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Cara (15th October 2019), Franny (15th October 2019), Mashika (14th October 2019), Valerie Villars (15th October 2019)

33. Link to Post #37
    United States Avalon Member Victoria's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 times in 278 posts

Mashika,

it wasn't a dumb statement, whatever you intended at the moment, people can still identify with it...maybe they fill in the blanks with their own interpretations and feelings...
    sometimes open-ended things have more substance than finite statements :-)

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Victoria For This Post:

Antagenet (15th October 2019), AutumnW (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (15th October 2019), Mashika (14th October 2019)

35. Link to Post #38
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,418 times in 1,676 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    T Smith,

They undoubtedly think differently--they are the first generation of the so-called information/Internet age, but I think it's too soon to say whether they are becoming more stupid, per se. But they are definitely being biologically altered. This study shows us what happens in the amygdala of rhesus monkeys that have been administered the full vaccination regimen recommended by the CDC relative to a placebo group. The results are conclusive. The neurotoxins of the full vaccination schedule cause inflammation and lesions in the amygdala, which impairs judgement, causes socio-emotional disruptive behavior, including abnormal social interaction, and specifically impairs the recognization of danger and blights survival instincts. One could probably argue the Millennial counterparts of this rhesus monkey study are becoming more stupid due to not only vaccinations, but also diet and other environmental factors prevalent in the information age, but it may be too soon to say whether it's an intelligence factor, or docility, or an anti-social response, or whatever. All I know for sure is it's not good...
    Last edited by T Smith; 15th October 2019 at 03:56.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

AutumnW (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (17th October 2019), Franny (15th October 2019), Victoria (18th October 2019)

37. Link to Post #39
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,866 times in 2,592 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    T Smith,

When I googled it, quite a few studies are stating that IQ scores are declining. Example:

Quote IQ levels inexorably rose during the last century, about three points per decade, according to established research. Now they’re not.

In fact, IQ levels are actually in decline — and not just in Congress.

According to a number of studies, beginning around the turn of this century, IQ test scores were found to be declining across Britain, Germany, Scandinavia, Australia and France.
    Why Are IQ Scores Dropping Now And What’s That Mean?
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

AutumnW (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (17th October 2019), Franny (15th October 2019), T Smith (15th October 2019), Valerie Villars (15th October 2019), Victoria (18th October 2019)

39. Link to Post #40
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,587 times in 5,714 posts

i've recently returned to school to finish my degree, so i have maybe a unique vantage point on millennials.

never paid much attention to them before, or any group of people of any age really, as i'm usually distracted to the point of incompetence. but now it's unavoidable. plus, i just generally think of people as people, and it never really occurs to me that i might be talking to a "millennial" until it's brought up in some way.

having said all that: i've met some really, really bright millennials at school. shockingly bright. wildly intelligent. some profoundly annoying one's too, sure. we have some really bright millennials here on avalon as well.

i don't know if humor is a sign of intelligence, but i think it's a sign of awareness. quite a few of the millennials ive met are well aware of their alleged shortcomings and have a refreshing, ironic sense of humor about it all. it's a pleasure to be around them. i've made some cool friends..and i'm not someone who goes out of his way to meet friends.

human beings are meant to pull and push against something. that's where meaning is found, in the struggle. each generation has it's unique struggles. when humans come up against these unique challenges and overcome them (or at least continually try) their circuitry changes. one quite literally "becomes another person"...in the best of ways. i fear that millennials haven't had to push and pull against much, and have therefore become weak and entitled in some ways. technology has made their lives remarkably easy and entertaining...but they can hardly be blamed for it. any generation prior would have suffered the same fate.

when we criticize millennials, we're usually doing it while considering the least of them..the ones who haven't met their unique challenges. millennials, at their worst, are remarkably soft. they're responsibility-phobic. they're post-moderny relativists. on the male side this manifests as the proverbial man-child who lives in his mother's basement, nihilistic and entitled and resentful and narcissistic (the type that might shoot up a school, for example); and on the female side it manifests as the social-warrior victim types who bemoan the state of the world but refuse to take any responsibility for themselves and usually have some dude supporting them financially even as they lament being a pawn in the "patriarchy" (without seeing the irony)

at best they're wildly inventive and smart, environmentally conscious, compassionate, confident, ambitious, and achievement oriented. they're vastly superior to us "older folks" in these ways.

but most are a combination of the good and bad, just like with any generation. on the whole, the millenials ive met are quite well adjusted to their unique challenges, and have adapted or are adapting admirably. their mental health, in general, seems much better than mine, so i can hardly judge
    Last edited by Mike; 15th October 2019 at 19:04.

40. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Antagenet (15th October 2019), Bill Ryan (17th October 2019), loungelizard (15th October 2019), Mashika (15th October 2019), Sue (Ayt) (15th October 2019), Valerie Villars (15th October 2019), Victoria (18th October 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast