1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Default Re: Millennials and mental health

Hope for the future and this kids dad needs father of the year award:
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th October 2019), Cara (17th October 2019), Mashika (17th October 2019)

3. Link to Post #42
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,830 times in 3,335 posts

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    i didn't read all the post above, but regardless I feel for this generation and this time. this is all because of cell phones and computers. Being in my 60ies I will often just get written off as being old and out of touch, by this young generation, however this is just as narrow as me looking at them as stupid, empty headed and self centered.

there is no comparison , because those today weren't raised in my time frame and vice versa . I used to fix cars, change tires, build mechanical things, mini bikes and go carts, used to go fishing and do tons of outdoor stuff. now you can't do anything, can't go fishing need a freakin license to stick a pole in the water. can't fix a car unless your Einstein. they took it out of everyones hands and rigged the game.

If us older were born in this time, wed be doing and struggling the same. lying has been brought to an art form in politics, religion and everything. the cats out of the bag. no one believes in anything anymore. even music, albums, records with album covers!! it was great I looked at those albums and listened to that music late into night.

what does someone have now? no imagination! too much excess!! sickening .

god bless this young group of people , I'm so happy I had one son and never remarried. sad to say, its scary to see how zombied people are. I have no idea where its all going. and add 5 g to the equation .
    A couple of days ago i read this article

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/10/eaav5916

Quote In five preregistered studies, we assess people’s tendency to believe “kids these days” are deficient relative to those of previous generations. Across three traits, American adults (N=3,458; Mage = 33-51 years) believe today’s youth are in decline; however, these perceptions are associated with people’s standing on those traits. Authoritarian people especially think youth are less respectful of their elders, intelligent people especially think youth are less intelligent, well-read people especially think youth enjoy reading less. These beliefs are not predicted by irrelevant traits. Two mechanisms contribute to humanity’s perennial tendency to denigrate kids: (1) a person-specific tendency to notice the limitations of others where one excels, (ii) a memory bias projecting one’s current qualities onto the youth of the past. When observing current children, we compare our biased memory to the present and a decline appears. This may explain why the kids these days effect has been happening for millennia.
    Find it very interesting how people tend to see younger people like that

Great musician: younger people are less savvy about music
    Great mathematician: younger people don't know math well anymore
    Great driver: younger people can't drive well anymore
    Great pilot: younger people can't fly like we used to

And so on..

Every generation does it to the next one :D
    Tired

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Strat (18th October 2019), Sue (Ayt) (18th October 2019), T Smith (18th October 2019)

5. Link to Post #43
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Mashika (here)
    Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    i didn't read all the post above, but regardless I feel for this generation and this time. this is all because of cell phones and computers. Being in my 60ies I will often just get written off as being old and out of touch, by this young generation, however this is just as narrow as me looking at them as stupid, empty headed and self centered.

there is no comparison , because those today weren't raised in my time frame and vice versa . I used to fix cars, change tires, build mechanical things, mini bikes and go carts, used to go fishing and do tons of outdoor stuff. now you can't do anything, can't go fishing need a freakin license to stick a pole in the water. can't fix a car unless your Einstein. they took it out of everyones hands and rigged the game.

If us older were born in this time, wed be doing and struggling the same. lying has been brought to an art form in politics, religion and everything. the cats out of the bag. no one believes in anything anymore. even music, albums, records with album covers!! it was great I looked at those albums and listened to that music late into night.

what does someone have now? no imagination! too much excess!! sickening .

god bless this young group of people , I'm so happy I had one son and never remarried. sad to say, its scary to see how zombied people are. I have no idea where its all going. and add 5 g to the equation .
    A couple of days ago i read this article

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/5/10/eaav5916

Quote In five preregistered studies, we assess people’s tendency to believe “kids these days” are deficient relative to those of previous generations. Across three traits, American adults (N=3,458; Mage = 33-51 years) believe today’s youth are in decline; however, these perceptions are associated with people’s standing on those traits. Authoritarian people especially think youth are less respectful of their elders, intelligent people especially think youth are less intelligent, well-read people especially think youth enjoy reading less. These beliefs are not predicted by irrelevant traits. Two mechanisms contribute to humanity’s perennial tendency to denigrate kids: (1) a person-specific tendency to notice the limitations of others where one excels, (ii) a memory bias projecting one’s current qualities onto the youth of the past. When observing current children, we compare our biased memory to the present and a decline appears. This may explain why the kids these days effect has been happening for millennia.
    Find it very interesting how people tend to see younger people like that

Great musician: younger people are less savvy about music
    Great mathematician: younger people don't know math well anymore
    Great driver: younger people can't drive well anymore
    Great pilot: younger people can't fly like we used to

And so on..

Every generation does it to the next one :D
    I think this is due in part with the media and internet. It easily leaves you with a false impression. According to the media I'm all of the 'ists' imaginable but I've never been accused as such in real life.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Mashika (18th October 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3