Thread: How to prepare for a CME in the European theatre

1. Link to Post #41
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 times in 402 posts

Default Re: How to prepare for a CME in the European theatre

Quote Posted by Swanny (here)
    Best bet is a sail boat
    That's been crossing my mind many times Admiral.........

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by bashi (here)

I am in Germany.
    What about Schwarzwald...?

2. Link to Post #42
    Thanks

If all hell breaks lose there will be plenty of boats with owners hundreds of miles away that won't be thinking about their boat but will be thinking of survival.
    Free boat anyone??
    Swanny is the waskly wabbit. :blink:
    Temet Nosce
    Don't worry.....Be happy 44

3. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

If all hell breaks lose there will be plenty of boats with owners hundreds of miles away that won't be thinking about their boat but will be thinking of survival.
    Free boat anyone??
    BUT, you need to be near the equator. Due to centrifugal forces (spin of the Earth) there is a mountain of water at the equator. IF the Earth's spin changes you need to be on the highest point otherwise tsunami's will destroy yourboat.

Yes Admiral, I have already choosen the ship I will scoop when the **** hits the fan in case of still being around in the place where I am right now......

4. Link to Post #44
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Posted by samvado (here)
    would you know prices for plain land (no buildings) per square meter or acre ? I searched but couldnt read the ads.
    Land in northern Spain is splitted in small plots owned by many people, unlikely central and southern Spain where few people owns large estates. In northern Spain people was historically free, owners of the land they worked, while in other areas they were working estates owned by feudal lords.

Many places have lost most its population since the 1960s, when people migrated elsewhere. It is difficult to locate the owners and certainly there is no central, online, site to buy land in rural places in the area, just for cities. I think your best bet is to move there, drive around, find villages you like and ask the locals (bring a translator ). There are plenty of abandoned villages and old stone houses partially/totally ruined.

Maybe the people in that eco-village could help you.

5. Link to Post #45
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 times in 398 posts

Considering all possible scenarios, the Alps are the best bet, i think.
    I have experienced and lived through several breakdowns of law and order in other countries.
    You will be surprised how fast and extreme things can change. Self-defense mechanisms are declaring any unknown person as a threat.
    I had a situation where a friend wanted to take shelter in my place during a week long riot. He was grabbed by others and explained that he wanted only to reach to me. He was wearing the wrong stuff and they decided to kill him only because he was a stranger to them. He pleaded and begged and was finally brought to my place for identification. That saved his life.

Without even slightly established roots, it will be a hard stand to relocate. Communication is key! One misunderstanding and you can be in serious trouble.
    Last summer i spend 4 months in the alps:
    In the Alps you have wood and milk; water and slope for a small hydro- power "plant"; not so much language barriers, restricted access for strangers, many self-sufficient people who are used to be cut off during winter/snow; it will be easy to establish a self-defence group to guard a valley when TSHTF.

6. Link to Post #46
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bashi (here)
    Without even slightly established roots, it will be a hard stand to relocate. Communication is key! One misunderstanding and you can be in serious trouble.
    Last summer i spend 4 months in the alps:
    In the Alps you have wood and milk; water and slope for a small hydro- power "plant"; not so much language barriers, restricted access for strangers, many self-sufficient people who are used to be cut off during winter/snow; it will be easy to establish a self-defence group to guard a valley when TSHTF.
    it is true, if you are known to the people who live there you have a huge advantage. but we wont be known to anyone in any area we go because we havnt even decided which area that should be. so that argument is a none argument.
    the alps are not good for many reasons (and good for some).

ALPS BAD BECAUSE

1) Too central, anyone moving east-west or north-south will potentially pass thru, and many have weapons because of war-zones naerby
    2) Geologically instable (in comparison to spain VERY MUCH so)
    4) Too cold already - let the iceage begin and you are under GLACIERS. some scenarios call for a "little iceage" soon like in the 1500s.
    5) Real estate is expensive compared to Spain.
    6) If you choose Austria the laws are VERY restrictive - wouldnt mean anything after TSHTF but means the world for preparations (Building a shack there is more difficoult due to red tape than a house in spain)
    7) You are a LOOOONG way away from the ocean. than may not be only bad BUT should you ever divert to fishing or relocation by boat it may.
    8) You need a self-defense group .. in spain you probably woudnt.
    9) I wont be there to tell stories by the fireside .. <ggg>

AND THE ALPS ARE FULL OF OR IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO MANY NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS: YOU CANT SMELL THEM BUT THEY MIGHT KILL YOU.

spain has one near barcelona. thats the only one even close to the place I favor.
    Last edited by samvado; 15th April 2010 at 20:28.

7. Link to Post #47
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Swami (here)
    BUT, you need to be near the equator. Due to centrifugal forces (spin of the Earth) there is a mountain of water at the equator. IF the Earth's spin changes you need to be on the highest point otherwise tsunami's will destroy yourboat.

Yes Admiral, I have already choosen the ship I will scoop when the **** hits the fan in case of still being around in the place where I am right now......
    If the earth spin changes you can be ANYWHERE and will need a new body, unless you are a microbe
    good news: that will not happen. it has not in the past and will not in the future.

8. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

I've been thinking of a nice little life boat, can't sink them
    Temet Nosce

9. Link to Post #49
    Thanks

I've been thinking of a nice little life boat, can't sink them
    You are lucky Admiral, I'm in that business..........

10. Link to Post #50
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

god guards the ones who guard themselves.. good luck to you all..

i think i'll play it by the ear... don't even have a driving licence to swear by.. i was never interested in cars, or needed one. i'm in london, live whitin 3 miles of where i work, so i get about on my push bike during summer time and i use a local bus when the weather's bad. i am on an elevated patch of london, so if the thames barrier should break (probably will), this will be a riviera...see what happens...l

11. Link to Post #51
    Thanks

You are lucky Admiral, I'm in that business..........
    Excellent
    Can you recommend a good one??
    Temet Nosce

12. Link to Post #52
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lightblue (here)

i think i'll play it by the ear... don't even have a driving licence to swear by.. i was never interested in cars, or needed one. i'm in london, live whitin 3 miles of where i work, so i get about on my push bike during summer time and i use a local bus when the weather's bad. i am on an elevated patch of london, so if the thames barrier should break (probably will), this will be a riviera...see what happens...l

there may 2 or 3 worse place to be, maybe 4 if I think really hard ...

13. Link to Post #53
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

I agree with that. I think there is nothing to worry about. I feel changes are going to be positive, and we will just need to follow our instinct.

14. Link to Post #54
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 times in 313 posts

Hi Guys,
    It's fine and dandy to plan on getting out of the chaos in the cities after a debilitating CME. But I think that maybe you're getting ahead of yourselves here. I realized this last night when all of a sudden the electrical grid went down in our neighborhood.

Suddenly I found myself in pitch blackness and I had to feel my way around from the office to the kitchen with 3 dogs and a cat around me to find matches to light a candle.

We seem to forget that whatever happens will not catch us by surprise or that it will be during the day time so that we will be able to easily see where our emergency supplies are stored to find what we need .

What I learned from this experience:
    1. Have battery backup lighting in the hall ways and in the emergency supply storage room of your home.
    2. Regularly check that your flashlights and portable radio have full batteries.
    3. Keep spare car and home keys in a set area, so that you don't have to fumble around in the dark to find your car keys.
    4. Every room should have some kind of back-up lighting whether it is a small flash light or lantern.
    5. You should have a few extra garden solar lights always powered up and ready to use inside the house in case of emergencies.
    6. Have a portable kerosene heater for a back-up to your electrical heating system.
    7. Always have at least half a tank of gas in your car. You never know when the pumps won't be working.
    8. Keep all of your emergency supplies in one place. What's coming will catch us by surprise and we won't have the time to collect them from several different places in the house.
    9. Keep a small portable butane cooker in the house. You never know when you might need it for emergencies.

Motto of the story: Planning for long-term off the grid living is important, short-term preparadness to get to the long term is just as important.
    Blessings,
    Yiola

15. Link to Post #55
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

To not be missunderstood. Unless I get my DNA up to specs I will MOST LIKELY not live to see anything necessitating these preparations. I'd give it a 1:10 probability (10 for all remains "normal" or better).
    However, 20 years ago I would have given it 1:10.000 or less.

Thats the point. I am willing to do SOME spending and working for a policy that protects me against a 10% chance of having to die in chaos.
    I probably would still not do it if it wasn't fun at the same time.
    So if enough people can be motivated to purchase a policy (translate: invest in the preparation-plans) it will be fun to build the life-boat.
    Its not a underground city, its just a shed with some tools in spain and a bit of land to share with friends.
    I do it for the fun, I dont have children, if I did I would do it for them too.

16. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Excellent
    Can you recommend a good one??
    Look around here Admiral...

Just heard I will be in business one more year at the company I work right now. We are doing business regulary with the company mentioned in the link above.

Proffesional stuff...!

17. Link to Post #57
    Lee-B

i am on an elevated patch of london, so if the thames barrier should break (probably will), this will be a riviera...see what happens...l
    I'll be well and truly mashed if the thames barrier fails, plus living in a basement flat, even more fun. I think I'll invest in some heroin instead, become a junkie for the day and go out with a bang, rather than drowning!

18. Link to Post #58
    Thanks

Quote Posted by LeeSW1 (here)
    I'll be well and truly mashed if the thames barrier fails, plus living in a basement flat, even more fun. I think I'll invest in some heroin instead, become a junkie for the day and go out with a bang, rather than drowning!
    Wont break, the water will flow over................

19. Link to Post #59
    Lee-B

Wont break, the water will flow over................
    Either way, people will drown, any specific reason for pedantics?

20. Link to Post #60
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 3 6 LastLast