Thread: How to prepare for a CME in the European theatre

1. Link to Post #81
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Default Re: How to prepare for a CME in the European theatre

Quote Posted by Swami (here)
    Cheap Solar panels........
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18168
    Not cheap at all, IMO. Those are 1 watt pannels (6V, 0.160A), and $16.79 per watt is way too much. You can find better deals on ebay for example. Buying single cells (that need to be soldered together + framed) you can get around $3 per watt including shipping plus what you expend in a frame (some wood panels and transparent rigid plastic for the sun facing side).

2. Link to Post #82
    Netherlands Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 times in 402 posts

Quote Posted by Wood (here)
    Not cheap at all, IMO. Those are 1 watt pannels (6V, 0.160A), and $16.79 per watt is way too much. You can find better deals on ebay for example. Buying single cells (that need to be soldered together + framed) you can get around $3 per watt including shipping plus what you expend in a frame (some wood panels and transparent rigid plastic for the sun facing side).
    Thx Wood,

But I also think tthat its way easier to buy this equipment instead of solding them toghether, for "some" Avalonians in here.......
    Not everybody is "programmed" the way you & I are..............

3. Link to Post #83
    Deactivated
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,445 times in 398 posts

swami, i send you a PM

4. Link to Post #84
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lightblue (here)
    so what happens once you've picked a location? how do you go about that - buy a house/rent or stay in tents in the open? how many people are you bringing along/planning with..they'd better have different sets of skills ...how do we rate a toscan coutryside ? a friend owns an old stone hill famhouse, but is otherwise tied up in another part of the world..
    light, we are just brainstoming yet. mentally exploring some options. In which region is that farmhouse ?

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Wood (here)
    Yes, any good source in europe ?

5. Link to Post #85
    Thanks

Quote Posted by bashi (here)
    swami, i send you a PM
    Still in the proces of processing it..............
    Last edited by Swami; 17th April 2010 at 10:40.

6. Link to Post #86
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by samvado (here)
    Yes, the LT40 is an old wirbelkammer diesel, it will work after the cme if I park it on a downhill slope.
    I have protected it with microlon, expensive stuff but makes an engine almost failproof due to mechanical failure.

if you are too paranoid to drive a diesel enfield, which really is a bicycle with small engine attached ( 6 hp, 80 km/h max, 1.5 l/100 km) do a phobia cure (NLP) works like a charm every time for all induced fears and takes about 15 minutes to do.
    if you take a 20l-reserve you'll get with the 25 l built in together to south france before having to refuel. you could take 40l, that would take you all the way to the target.

A convoy is a bit more fun that travelling alone, but appart from that , unless you have a tank in it its not going to give you any advantage over a single car. if bridges are collapsed or tunnels unpassable or cars mashed up over all lanes you are stuck. you will then have to divert into dense populated areas from the autobahn. not a good idea if your vehicle is one of the few still moving.

if you cant fight camouflage is most important. a small motorbike is best, it is fast enough to outrun anything else (except a faster bike) and can go thru the worst smashes and even if you have to divert you can perceivably go cross fields.

you can not carry much but if this plan works out you wouldnt have to. all emergency stuff is already in place at the target. I am 57 and not an athlete. if I can do it you can.
    well, i will think about getting my mental screws tightened.
    But how about the LT40? Is it a "clunker", Rostlaube, without TÜV or is it on the road, ok and registered?

7. Link to Post #87
    Spain Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

Quote Yes, any good source in europe ?
    I have not bought any yet. I am looking at cells from the USA (maybe slightly damaged cells). To buy in Europe I've found german panels on ebay use to be reasonably priced. Go to ebay and search for 'Solarmodul' or 'Solarpanel' or 'Solarzellen', and check sellers with good ratings. That's what I would do. Of course you get better price per watt with larger panels (i.e. 100w) than with 10w panels.

I am thinking a good source of electricity for people that has not bought any solar panel could be a car. It should work as an emergency diesel or gasoline generator by turning it on and connecting an inverter to the battery. I do not know what kind of power it could generate but I guess it could power some CFC or led lamps. If you own a car I guess it is a good idea to always keep the tank full. Of course an inverter (i.e. a cheap 300w inverter) is needed, or a bunch of 12v lights.

Another idea is to use the alternator of a car + some kind of gear to build a wind turbine (e.g. a savonious one) or a turbine powered by a water stream. I am not sure what kind of power it is possible to get from that but I'd test it in case it is needed

EDIT: I think it would be very useful to have a "crank flashlight" and a "crank radio".
    Last edited by Wood; 17th April 2010 at 11:02.

8. Link to Post #88
    Avalon Retired Member Vidya Moksha's Avatar
    Thanks

i have 2 places in mind: Generally one on the northern part of the alps, towards the austrian/bavarian side; one on the southern part towards the italian side.
    I have connection for both places; i was in the northern spot last year, but the guy will not be back before - i guess - 2 months.
    the other in the southern is new, have to cross-check.
    both are minimum 800 meters high, one very remote, the other in a small settlement at valley end.

Interesting thread, i hope you dont need to do this, but fun in the planning eh? I made my choice and came to NZ... However I lived for a while in an abandoned village in the north of Italy. close to the swiss alps... houses, timber, spring water, fruit and nut trees are already there... maybe 6 people live in the place, 800m above sea level, access by foot only.. if you are interested i can post photos and directions, if you want to keep it quiet, but are still interested, then pm me.

9. Link to Post #89
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Vidya Moksha (here)
    Interesting thread, i hope you dont need to do this, but fun in the planning eh? I made my choice and came to NZ... However I lived for a while in an abandoned village in the north of Italy. close to the swiss alps... houses, timber, spring water, fruit and nut trees are already there... maybe 6 people live in the place, 800m above sea level, access by foot only.. if you are interested i can post photos and directions, if you want to keep it quiet, but are still interested, then pm me.
    That sounds very good.
    Last edited by bashi; 17th April 2010 at 14:28.

10. Link to Post #90
    Thanks

Been thinking about this car, not very fast but will keep going.....
    approx. 1980

@Bashi: How about the diodebridge in the alternator of this one, spare parts.......?

11. Link to Post #91
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

well, i will think about getting my mental screws tightened.
    But how about the LT40? Is it a "clunker", Rostlaube, without TÜV or is it on the road, ok and registered?
    its worth about 20.000,- euros. its the last from the old series, built in 1995 but has lived in a barn for over 10 years. engine below 100.000. Those engines are for trucks, they last 500.000 and more. no rust whatsoever. 400 W Solar, shower, garage, GFK housing, the works. I live in it since 1 year now. its a great experience, compared to a flat.

but as i said, it will be left behind, I will not travel on 4 wheels for the reasons now ad infinitum explained.
    Last edited by samvado; 17th April 2010 at 17:51.

12. Link to Post #92
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Swami (here)
    Been thinking about this car, not very fast but will keep going.....
    approx. 1980

@Bashi: How about the diodebridge in the alternator of this one, spare parts.......?
    sorry , i have to pass it along...

13. Link to Post #93
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

When I started this tread I was thinking along the lines of organizational debate, meaning

1) where to do it
    2) how to pay for it
    3) whom to invite (or alternatively let everybody in)

etc.

discussing technical details is a **bit** premature and IMO should be done in the other threads that deal with these specific issues.

I have put down a few lists to that respect but they have been ignored by and large, if not totaly so.

I have to admit I find this unorganized way of dealing with the issue unfit for a thing of such width and possible impact, it needs structure and sincere planing.

I further do not believe that within avalon the necessary "room" will be created as this would divert quite a bit from the "official" raison d'etre.

14. Link to Post #94
    Thanks

If you don't want the LT leave the keys in it and let us know where it is please
    Swanny is the waskly wabbit. :blink:
    Temet Nosce
    Don't worry.....Be happy 44

15. Link to Post #95
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Swanny (here)
    If you don't want the LT leave the keys in it and let us know where it is please
    Yes, thats a brilliant idea! I am volunteering to pick it up.

16. Link to Post #96
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Swanny (here)
    You fool.........

17. Link to Post #97
    Thanks

Quote Posted by samvado (here)
    When I started this tread I was thinking along the lines of organizational debate, meaning

1) where to do it
    2) how to pay for it
    3) whom to invite (or alternatively let everybody in)

etc.

discussing technical details is a **bit** premature and IMO should be done in the other threads that deal with these specific issues.

I have put down a few lists to that respect but they have been ignored by and large, if not totaly so.

I have to admit I find this unorganized way of dealing with the issue unfit for a thing of such width and possible impact, it needs structure and sincere planing.

I further do not believe that within avalon the necessary "room" will be created as this would divert quite a bit from the "official" raison d'etre.
    The most beautiful thing, I learned in my life last couple of years, is to go with the flow.
    This my friend brings moments of Bliss
    ..... and its in moments of Bliss that understanding Universal Vibes occur......
    (Maybe 'Deutsche Grundlichkeit' doesn't work no more these days.......)
    Last edited by Swami; 17th April 2010 at 21:52.

18. Link to Post #98
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

if there are going to be earth movements, what are the most stable parts of europe?
    also, rivers may flow over, there may be flooding...what's the case with the danube - for example? i know the thames barrier is pathetic, but that's because it's tidal...the danube should be ok..
    then i have another principled dilemma - doesn't running away bring bad luck? why do we think we have to rescue ourselves?..because it's a natural instict i suppose...

bashi, i forgot where exactly the farmhouse in toscany was - i'll skype my friend these days..l
    Last edited by lightblue; 17th April 2010 at 23:04.

19. Link to Post #99
    Deactivated
    Thanks

Quote Posted by lightblue (here)
    if there are going to be earth movements, what are the most stable parts of europe?
    also, rivers may flow over, there may be flooding...how are we on danube for example? i know the thames barrier is pathetic...then i have another principled dilemma - doesn't running away bring bad luck? why do we think we have to rescue ourselves?..because it's a natural instict i suppose...

bashi, i forgot where exactly the farmhouse in toscany was - i'll skype my friend tomoorrow...l
    light, there are many theories about so called "safe" places. Different theory - different places.
    I did some "research" to find a reasonable consensus, and came up with the alps. i don`t think that england or france is a good option. i think everybody has to do his/her own research and then, based on it, a decision is been made.
    As you can see, we are the fearful, paranoid people, whom you shouldnt trust

BTW Bill Ryan also sits in the alps. only because of montaineering?

20. Link to Post #100
    Avalon Retired Member
    Thanks

i've nothing against anywhere or alps, only i don't speak german...and i think that in the event human factor would be the most important - who you are with/in neighbourhood of.....it is also possible that people will pull together and display solidarity and not animosity ...unlike what samvado is fearing ...i think if he carries on fearing it, he would face just that, not that i wish it on him...in my case, this is not so much about researching any more, but about what's feasable..
    Last edited by lightblue; 17th April 2010 at 23:27.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 5 6 LastLast