+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3

Thread: Stina Bo Bina: a star is born :)

1. Link to Post #41
    United States Avalon Member funkpunk46's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Re: Stina Bo Bina: a star is born :)

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    Quote Posted by funkpunk46 (here)
    I do understand that this is very personal and emotional stuff. I'll just stay tuned for this "big video" she keeps hinting at.
    Yes, it is. Whatever our personal style preferences (and I totally love what she does: this is just the kind of refreshing infotainment that I think most of us need), we all have to admire her courage and refusal to be cowed or to back down.

This is real David-and-Goliath stuff: a 4'11" 100 lb girl, a mother-of-two with no resources apart from an iPhone, standing up alone against a bunch of bullies, manipulators, and attempted enforcers.
    It's definitely something to admire.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkpunk46 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2020), Franny (17th January 2020), Mike (17th January 2020), RunningDeer (17th January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,086 times in 4,035 posts

i don't think it's a 'blackcent' as much as it is an exaggerated southern twangy sort of thing. i think she's from florida.

she's exaggerating her personality most of the time for effect. doesn't bother me. it's a persona, for entertainment purposes.

but being the heart centered person she is, it's pretty easy to see where the persona ends and the real person begins. that's why it works for her.

i'm really enjoying her stuff, and i hope she keeps it up
    Last edited by Mike; 17th January 2020 at 18:44.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Andrew_K (17th January 2020), Bill Ryan (17th January 2020), Ivanhoe (18th January 2020), RunningDeer (17th January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks

Just an FYI and more food for thought:

If you've not looked at my profile, I'm a black woman. Too often I encounter "sassy" white women who adopt black American vernacular, mannerisms, and tones when trying to be entertaining, funny, or angry in a way that can be perceived as humorous or less threatening. It's old and played out, but it's also something that I think white americans do so freely that it's hard to even be aware of when one is doing it.

That said, it bugs me and I don't like it. My culture is not a costume or a persona to be used for entertainment. It's bigger than me and my preferences. I mean, what if she pulled her eyes at the corners and said, "me love you long time"? That's far less subtle than what's being done here, and just as played out and unnecessary.

I don't mean to high jack this thread, so I'll drop it. I just hope ya'll will get past any defensiveness to allow yourself to get to the heart of what I'm trying to communicate. Private messages about this are welcome, but I'll warn you that I don't visit this forum daily and may not reply immediately. PS - don't come at me with any "why are you attacking her" energy, because I'm not.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to funkpunk46 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2020), James (17th January 2020), Ken (17th January 2020), Mike (17th January 2020), RunningDeer (17th January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020)

7. Link to Post #44
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 times in 172 posts

I took some time to check her videos the other day. Totally honest and impressive.

The right side of truth is a dangerous place to be. I admire her bravery and authenticity, and that is the core of the problem... that a couple peculiar fellows who talk about blue aliens and ascension have such a litigious grip over an almost entire community, and that we need such Davids to confront such Goliaths.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2020), Mike (17th January 2020), RunningDeer (17th January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020)

9. Link to Post #45
    Thanks
    Thanked 279,245 times in 20,686 posts

Quote Posted by funkpunk46 (here)
    PS - don't come at me with any "why are you attacking her" energy, because I'm not.
    No, you're not. It's all cool. We really appreciate all your contributions. (It's your avatar that I heard raising a few questions! )

Regarding accents, most people who aren't North American (like yours truly) can't tell one US accent from another. Or even American from Canadian. Just [often] like the other way round, re England! But I do understand that can be a sensitivity. (And trivia: yes, Mike's right. Stina's from Florida. )

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Andrew_K (17th January 2020), funkpunk46 (21st January 2020), James (17th January 2020), Mike (17th January 2020), RunningDeer (17th January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020), Yoda (19th January 2020)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Avalon Member RunningDeer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 113,950 times in 13,133 posts

For new members and guests, Stina Bo Bina is an Avalon member. Stina Bo Bina, a.k.a. Stinamaria has posted on this thread and elsewhere.

Stinamaria, should you need financial assistance because of these conmen, I’d contributed to a GoFundMe account.

And from one mother to another, Family trumps conmen. I know you know this, sometimes it helps to hear it in another’s voice.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RunningDeer For This Post:

Andrew_K (17th January 2020), Bill Ryan (17th January 2020), Mike (17th January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020)

13. Link to Post #47
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,086 times in 4,035 posts

Hi there funkpunk46,...yes, when you put it that way, I can see why that would be annoying!

I didn't view your posts as attacks. In fact, the overuse of the word "attack" on text forums makes me nauseous. It's dramatic and silly.

Back to your point tho...
    Adopting a "blackcent" is often something women of color will even do. Ever watch Oprah? She'll talk "white" for 10 mins and then suddenly throw in a "oh no you didn't!" or something to that effect. Tyra Banks is notorious for this too. Halle Berry. Etc.

Part of the problem is that the exaggerated parody of the sassy black woman is also being perpetuated by black folks. Famous ones. And now it's become something of a pop cultural meme. Memes, being archetypal and universal, eventually get adopted by everyone...even white Youtubers.

I'll let Stina speak for herself on this one from here on out. But that's basically how I see it. In other words, although I can see why that would annoy you (I really can! It would likely bug me too if I was a black man) i don't think she's doing it to be disrespectful.
    Last edited by Mike; 17th January 2020 at 21:50.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bill Ryan (17th January 2020), Ivanhoe (18th January 2020), James (18th January 2020), Jill (17th January 2020), RunningDeer (17th January 2020), Strat (21st January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020)

15. Link to Post #48
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Adopting a "blackcent" is often something women of color will even do. Ever watch Oprah? She'll talk "white" for 10 mins and then suddenly throw in a "oh no you didn't!" or something to that effect. Tyra Banks is notorious for this too. Halle Berry. Etc.

Part of the problem is that the exaggerated parody of the sassy black woman is also being perpetuated by black folks.
    You're wrong on two points.

1. A stereotype is a fixed and oversimplified image or idea of a particular type of person or thing, while a parody is an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect. The perpetuation of stereotypes and parodies are not done by the people within those communities - black women are just being black women, how can I promote a stereotype just by being myself? It's like you're saying that Black American vernacular English is, in and of itself, a stereotype and not the result of culture. It's the focusing on a single or a few particular aspects of a culture and then oversimplifying and deliberately exaggerating them for whatever reason.

2. It's totally normal for people of all cultures to change their intonation and use of vernacular depending on the context of their conversation and company. Kinda like when people who live in big cities go visit their families down south and suddenly their southern accent and slang comes back. It's when this change is *intentionally* affected as a means of *entertainment* that annoys and offends me. Black Americans specifically have a more nuanced approach to this, due to the societal expectation that we present ourselves a certain way. Halle Berry is an actress, so I wouldn't look at the way she speaks in movies as a good example of what you're trying to say. To me, Oprah's voice is just her voice. When she changes her intonation when using a particular phrase (she's gotten flack for using a deep southern accent as well, but let's not forget, it's from kosciusko, Mississippi), I think of it more like the example I provided at the beginning of my response.

I don't believe that we are talking about the same thing here.

(Edited to add: I know I said that I'd drop it but since Mike responded here rather than privately, I felt the need to respond here. Especially since his response promotes some pretty irresponsible ideas about cultural stereotypes. So, one more time - I'm happy to discuss this privately but if you're makin' claims out in these message board streets then I'll respond out in these message board streets)
    Last edited by funkpunk46; 21st January 2020 at 18:29.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funkpunk46 For This Post:

Bill Ryan (21st January 2020), Mike (21st January 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020)

17. Link to Post #49
    Thanks
    Thanked 279,245 times in 20,686 posts

Just realized this hadn't been posted — Stina responding to YouTube comments, published a little over a week ago on 28 Jan. Enjoy!

Also appropriate to post here is Stina's co-presentation with Jay Weidner, on 4 Feb.

The discussion about that, which is interesting and important, is on this thread starting at post #320.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Andrew_K (8th February 2020), Denise/Dizi (9th February 2020), funkpunk46 (9th February 2020), Tintin (8th February 2020), Yoda (10th February 2020)

19. Link to Post #50
    United States Avalon Member Denise/Dizi's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,828 times in 798 posts

Quote Posted by Sammy (here)
    Regarding Bill's detailed post just two posts up...

One very true fact. Bill Ryan, being Bill Ryan... meaning, as Bill has put it, a "micro-celebrity" has been someone who finds himself from time to time "attracted to" by others where the motivations of these others sometimes includes a desire to achieve a rise in their own star. So when the schism occurred in January of 2015, a mob targeted him much like you see being done to Trump.

Essentially, Bill had been "boogey-manned" by others as the "creator" of Corey Goode. I have seen Bill blamed for this on other forums and on websites of ex-PA members ever since. But I had a front row seat to that movie and its my strong opinion Bill was scapegoated by others (especially one other) who were far more responsible for the creation of Corey Goode and they know it. I still have all my notes and details of the whole saga. It was my first lesson in mismanagement of back channel relationships.

I can see how this happens, I HAVE seen this happen.. It was horrifying. (Not with Corey Goode, but elsewhere) And I was beside myself trying to figure out a way to stop it... Yet you never can stop the actions of another can you? I suppose the best that you can do is make others aware it is happening, step back and let it play out and HOPE the damage is minimal...

Let's just hope the fallout from the Goode story, and Wilcock fiasco bring people here hoping to find out what truly happened..

As a side note.. And probably the thing I should have STARTED with given the tread topic?

STINA! Great presence.. You go girl!

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Denise/Dizi For This Post:

Andrew_K (9th February 2020), Bill Ryan (9th February 2020), Tintin (9th February 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 3