Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6

Thread: What’s Cooking?

1. Link to Post #101
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,765 times in 613 posts

Default Re: What’s Cooking?

I really think that we have to manage ourselves with everything that needs to be gathered for the "house", and the full pantry is one of the realities that will definitely follow in our future.
    We may eventually have to process and preserve our own food in order for us to eat naturally and healthily.

It's all about trying, there may not be time or conditions to maintain a small garden, there may not even be time to buy vegetables or anything, and preserve them, but we must have little time for our health and especially for the health of our children.

Me too, but I also have friends that can make burgers, pizza, hot dogs, crispy poultry wings at home, and we can make them almost taste like fast food, but healthy. I can give thousands of examples of "restaurant kitchen secrets" ... mostly by that's why I left the field somewhat and I advise people to cook at home on their own. From the cook, I chose to be a dishwasher for 4 months seasonal, so at least I didn't feed people anymore, but on the contrary, fun to cleaned up after them.

You can preserve anything in the field of vegetables, but also meat, anyone can make pate, sausages, salami, ham, all just canned and without additives.
    I saw rice pudding in stores, and for me it was somewhat outrageous, the product having an extremely long shelf life.
    Is simple
    - A cup of rice to three of milk and sugar to taste, cooked very slowly over low heat. I added vanilla and lemon peel.
    I am a person who did not know how to cook in his youth. My husband told me, at the beginning, when we met: "Please, if you still go to the market, buy some celery ..." and I didn't know at all what it looked like and I had to ask people in the market
    Also in my first rice pudding, my husband said:" oh and please add a little lemon" (he didn't say peel) and I squeezed the juice from a whole lemon into the whole pudding, becoming extremely sour... I'm here to admit that I learned to cook close to my husband's grandmother's recipes and I feel blessed for that, especially because my husband endured all "my food" for 1-2 years saying "it's good" until I managed to do the right thing

We are supposed to learn the good things easily, I just hope for better health for all people, and cooking is very important in that. But we all already know that.

In the rice pudding, when it is a little colder, I add yolks for yellow color and rich taste, and from the egg whites I make a "mousse": I add 4 tablespoons of sugar for each egg white and I mix them, and at the end I add fruit ( I put raspberries in mine) and then it is placed on top of the rice pudding, served cold, it is a pretty quick and good dessert.

Spinach with eggs and sausages. Fresh minced meat for sausages, we find it at almost $ 2 per kg (still not having the European currency, in our country).

I preserved many jams, from several fruits that I gathered from the garden and from the nearby forest (blackberries and rosehips will follow next month when they are very ripe ) and I put them in the freezer to collect a larger quantity and preserve them only once. .
    I also made many compotes, but I made jam from raspberries, strawberries, peaches, currants, quinces and more. Even melon can be made into jam.
    In winter you can make orange or/with clemmetine jam, I will make it this winter.

When I worked in restaurants, I gathered all the containers opened and used by me, and I brought them home. So I don't need to buy bottles or jars for preservation.That's how I gathered many bottles of rum or liqueur, because I syruped the cake dough with them.

We made peach and apple nectar and we are trying this week for the first time, to make bottled carrot juice, it should be good, because carrots are very sweet (and they often sweeten my food too much).
    I made sweet grape juice, just squeezed grape juice, add a third of water to the quantity obtained (to partially evaporate when boiled) and sugar to taste, boiled (not too much, just until the foam decreases) and bottled in airtight bottles .The juices are very good in the cold winter with sweet cheesecake.

Peppers stuffed with salted cabbage and peppercorns, placed in a jar to which are added bay leaves and horseradish roots, then pour salt water over.
    Red bell peppers, or mushrooms cut into quarters or slices, cooked for 5 minutes (so as not to soften) in a tall pan with a vinegar sauce (to 2 liters of water add sugar and salt to taste, and maybe 0.5 liters vinegar, but depends on the strength of the vinegar)

I wish you all good health on your plate!
    Every human is a question asked to the Spirit of the Universe,again and again,because every human is an endless row of humans and in all humans together dwelling the Great Human Spirit.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Bill Ryan (26th September 2020), EFO (26th September 2020), Elainie (27th September 2020), Harmony (26th September 2020), palehorse (27th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th September 2020), Strat (26th September 2020), Wind (26th September 2020)

3. Link to Post #102
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,825 times in 1,181 posts

EFO and Anka I really enjoy yall's posts a lot and I have a question: What is a through and through traditional Romanian dish?
    That's life, and I can't deny it
    Many times I thought of cuttin' out but my heart won't buy it

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (11th October 2020), Bill Ryan (26th September 2020), Bluegreen (27th September 2020), EFO (27th September 2020), Harmony (27th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th September 2020), Wind (27th September 2020)

5. Link to Post #103
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,275 times in 1,491 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    EFO and Anka I really enjoy yall's posts a lot and I have a question: What is a through and through traditional Romanian dish?
    We don't have a "standardized" dish as German Eisbein or American Thanksgiving turkey,but pork meat varieties are customary with major "adjustments" by geographical areas.For example pork chorba (ciorba de porc) have the same basic ingredients (fried onion,potatoes,carrots and at the end garlic for flavor) all over Romania,but in Transylvania is made with milk and sour cream,in Valachia is made with sauerkraut brine and in Moldavia is made with borsch (a sour liquid ingredient made of fermented wheat).

Perhaps the following link Traditional Romanian Food: 57 Romanian Dishes & Delicacies will give you a narrowed view of the broaden Romanian dish/es and are not all.

The following book have some of the traditional dishes in Romania,it have 581 pages in pdf and is only in Romanian written and never translated in other languages,but with little patience and help,some recipes can be translated even if contains some regionalisms and archaic words.
    Bucate, vinuri si obiceiuri romanesti

If by accident you will came in Romania and will eat here in traditional way you will never leave the country ever and we invite you with pleasure to us to eat a traditional dish if you passing by.
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Bill Ryan (27th September 2020), Bluegreen (27th September 2020), Harmony (27th September 2020), palehorse (27th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th September 2020), Strat (27th September 2020), Wind (27th September 2020)

7. Link to Post #104
    United States Avalon Member Geophyz's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,400 times in 134 posts

I had a big harvest from the garden today. I am roasting beets in honey, coffee and red wine vinegar. I sautéed onions, spicy bell peppers, zucchini and tomatoes in olive oil with a little bacon, then added new potatoes (that were already cooked) and a little lavender and garlic......tomorrow the canning starts! I just love having a garden and going out and munching fresh vegetables!
    Maybe plants are actually farming us; giving us oxygen until we decompose and they consume us.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Geophyz For This Post:

Anka (27th September 2020), Bill Ryan (27th September 2020), EFO (28th September 2020), Harmony (28th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th September 2020), Strat (27th September 2020)

9. Link to Post #105
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,482 times in 499 posts

Since Autumn has arrived here, I'm having my first roast Sunday dinner since Spring.

Roast beef, roast potatoes, peas, carrots and Yorkshire pudding...... Topped off with gravy.

Oh man-o-man, what a time to be alive!

May your Spirit stay unbroken, may you not be deterred.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

Anka (27th September 2020), Bill Ryan (27th September 2020), EFO (28th September 2020), Harmony (28th September 2020), Sarah Rainsong (28th September 2020)

11. Link to Post #106
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,825 times in 1,181 posts

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    If by accident you will came in Romania and will eat here in traditional way you will never leave the country ever and we invite you with pleasure to us to eat a traditional dish if you passing by.
    That would be amazing! I've driven through Europe a little bit and it was so much fun because it's so different from cross-country American travel. I love the feeling of being the foreigner and experiencing the cultural differences. I'd love to try this in Eastern Europe as well, though #1 on my go to list is Egypt and #2 is India.

It'd be great if I could just win the lottery and travel at my hearts desire.
    That's life, and I can't deny it
    Many times I thought of cuttin' out but my heart won't buy it

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (27th September 2020), Bill Ryan (27th September 2020), EFO (28th September 2020), Harmony (28th September 2020), palehorse (11th October 2020), Wind (27th September 2020)

13. Link to Post #107
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,765 times in 613 posts

At first when before entering this thread, I thought it was just an expression..something like this:

But it's really about cooking and eating and I "deal" with both

I made some simple donuts with vanilla, they can be filled with chocolate cream or jam.

Pasta beans: beans must be well cooked and then ground into a kind of pasta(for lack of a word).
    In a frying pan put butter, finely chopped onion, bay leaf,
    salt/pepper, and paprika powder, pour over the bean and add fried sausages.
    Drink before the meal, homemade quince liqueur, for better digestion. Or add pickles.
    I can't extend the recipe any further because the translation brings out a different kind of food ...

But who wants an ice cream, or to "scream" for an ice cream?

Turkish Ice Cream Tricks (1:05)

Every human is a question asked to the Spirit of the Universe,again and again,because every human is an endless row of humans and in all humans together dwelling the Great Human Spirit.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anka For This Post:

Antagenet (11th October 2020), Bill Ryan (11th October 2020), EFO (11th October 2020), palehorse (11th October 2020), Strat (11th October 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6