Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

Default Re: What’s Cooking?

A lot of home made Ice Cream

Recipe:
    A- The mass for all layers:
    1- 2 liters of milk;
    2- 12 eggs;
    3- honey/sugar by taste
    So proportionally you need 6 eggs to every liter of milk.
    Put the milk on fire and meanwhile mix well the eggs.When the milk is warm enough,add the eggs in the pot and stir gently.Stir until you see that the mixture start to become a sort of flowing pudding.During stirring pay attention at the bottom of the pot because the eggs could coagulate because of the heat.Having that flowing homogeneous pudding,you can pull the pot from the fire and add honey or sugar according to your taste and let it cool.I prefer honey because is offered a denser texture to the final product.That flowing homogeneous pudding,by cooling will became almost a solid pudding,but soft enough to be poured.

B The layers I've done from top to bottom are:caramel,vanilla-banana mix and coffee-chocolate mix.

Caramel recipe:
    1-In a pot add about 250-300 grams of sugar and melt it on the fire stirring continuously.
    2-When the sugar is melted completely and it have a brownish color,pull the pot off the fire and add about 200-250 grams of milk.Pay attention because if the milk is cold or warm it is possible to have small explosions of burned sugar and milk mixture which can burn your skin.It take about 10-15 seconds until the mixture stabilizes and is no more danger.
    3-When the mixture is stabilized pot the pot again on the low fire and stir until the melted sugar is dissolved completely and then pull the pot from the fire and let it cool.
    4-Until the mixture is cooled,whip 300-350 of cream until is almost formed butter.
    5-Taste the mixture and add honey or sugar by your taste.

Ok,now you have the the "pudding" from point "A",diluted in milk burned sugar and whipped cream.
    Take as much as you want from the "pudding" and add it step by step to the whipped cream mixed it by hand not by mixer.When you finished adding the pudding add also step by step the diluted in milk sugar.Now is the moment to put the mixer at work because you have to obtain a homogeneous mass.When you have this mass,you can pour it whatever form you have and put it in freezer.

After one hour or so,depending how freeze is that first layer,you can start work to the second layer.

Vanilla-banana mix recipe:
    This is easier than caramel and less dangerous.
    Ingredients you need:
    1- 1 or 2 vanilla pods according to your taste
    2- 2 bananas
    3- 250-300 cream for whipped
    4- rum
    5- honey or sugar

The process:
    1- Peel bananas and crush them until you obtain a paste;
    2- Cut longitudinal the vanilla pods and take out the good from it and add it to banana paste;
    3- Add as much pudding you want from point "A" and mix it forming a mixture;
    4- Whip 250-300 grams of cream;
    5- Add step by step the mixture from point 3 into the whipped cream stirring gently;
    6- When you finished adding the mixture you can homogenize it with mixer;
    7- During the homogenizing process,taste the mixture and add sugar or honey and rum by your taste;
    8- When is ready,pour it gently over the first layer,if you see that the first layer isn't frozen enough and let it freeze.

Coffee-chocolate mix recipe:
    Ingredients:
    1- 250-300 grams of the strongest black coffee you ever drink.If is necessary boil it again and add more grounded coffee ;
    2- Cocoa powder by taste;
    3- 250-300 grams of cream for whipping
    4- Rum by taste;
    5- Honey or sugar.I prefer sugar for this mix,because honey doesn't fit by taste for me with coffee.

The process:
    1- Mix cocoa powder in the coffee;
    2- Mix the mixture in the rest of the "pudding" remained from point "A".
    3- Whip the cream until is almost butter;
    4- Add step by step the cocoa-coffee mixture to the whipped cream and stir gently.After you finish to add the mixture,start using the mixer to obtain a homogeneous mixture ;
    5- Add rum and honey or sugar by taste and mix until the sugar is dissolved.
    6- Now the third layer is ready for pouring over the second layer and precede the same as point 8 from vanilla-banana mix recipe.

Only now you finish the work and can sit and relax and wait at least 24 hours until the ice cream is completely frozen.

Frozen in the form
    Name:  Lenovo_A1000_IMG_20191119_001406.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  125.6 KB

Out of the form
    Name:  Lenovo_A1000_IMG_20191119_001602.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  121.9 KB
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Cara (21st November 2019), Craig (21st November 2019), DeDukshyn (20th November 2019), Franny (26th November 2019)

3. Link to Post #62
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

That looks delicious! Wow

Just a quick correction on the cabbage, that's Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage, no tomatoes at all. Instead it is sauerkraut and Chabai sausage and sour cream, and the usual stuffed cabbage rolls. Growing up that was my favorite meal after a hard day of sports - I could pack away those cabbage rolls with a dollop of sour cream on top!
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Antagenet (21st November 2019), Cara (21st November 2019), DeDukshyn (20th November 2019), EFO (21st November 2019), Strat (20th November 2019)

5. Link to Post #63
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)

Just a quick correction on the cabbage, that's Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage, no tomatoes at all. Instead it is sauerkraut and Chabai sausage and sour cream, and the usual stuffed cabbage rolls. Growing up that was my favorite meal after a hard day of sports - I could pack away those cabbage rolls with a dollop of sour cream on top!
    I believe sour cream is God's gift to humanity.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (21st November 2019), Craig (21st November 2019), DeDukshyn (20th November 2019), EFO (21st November 2019), Ernie Nemeth (21st November 2019), Kryztian (3rd December 2019), Nenuphar (21st November 2019)

7. Link to Post #64
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,971 times in 1,706 posts

Quote Posted by Baby Steps (here)
    a family regular, that i invented myself

ligurian inspired seafood pasta
    Thank you very much Baby Steps!
    I just wanted to let you know I tried out your recipe last night and it was huge success!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaveToo For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (21st November 2019), EFO (21st November 2019), Ernie Nemeth (21st November 2019)

9. Link to Post #65
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 times in 337 posts

A little off the subject, but do any of you use any apps you like for collecting recipes?
    For organizing your pantry?
    I just got Paprika3 and am having fun collecting recipes.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Antagenet For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (21st November 2019), EFO (21st November 2019)

11. Link to Post #66
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Thanks Ernie!

With your Csabai sausages you open old memories from times when I wandered a lot across Europe passing from time to time through Hungary,visiting some cities like Szolnok,Kecskemet,Bekescsaba,Gyor,Budapest,Mako,Szeged,Debrecen and so on and eating there all kind of sausages and salami.Nowadays they lost more their taste as it was 25-35 years ago.Sad...but perhaps at the country side,people are still keeping the taste of original recipes and ingredients... There are so many cabbage roll recipes,but without sour cream on top they are noting as Strat said "sour cream is God's gift to humanity".

Today we planned to made canned vegetable stew and I'll add the recipe and more photos of the process
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (25th December 2019), Cara (21st November 2019), Ernie Nemeth (21st November 2019)

13. Link to Post #67
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    I believe sour cream is God's gift to humanity.
    Why do you "believe"?It IS God's gift to humanity.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (21st November 2019), Strat (21st November 2019)

15. Link to Post #68
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Antagenet (here)
    A little off the subject, but do any of you use any apps you like for collecting recipes?
    For organizing your pantry?
    I just got Paprika3 and am having fun collecting recipes.
    Paprika3 is interesting,but I don't use apps.Only computer and notebook and my memory.

Recipes notebook is very helpful when computer cracked down and memory failed to help.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Antagenet (30th November 2019), Cara (21st November 2019)

17. Link to Post #69
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Canned vegetable stew recipe with an introductory story

As any gardener know,not all the fruits and vegetables are ripen in the same time so they must be harvested step by step.So we did.As much as we harvested we prepare them as follow:
    Preparing process of red peppers and eggplants.
    1-We cooked them in bbq style;
    2-After that we peeled all of them and remove the seeds - not to the eggplants - and stems;
    3-We pass them through chopping machine - doesn't matter diameter of sieve's holes - ;
    4-Putt every one of them in big plastic bags in the freezer for later use
    This process happened during Summer and Autumn.

Yesterday before making the stew,we took out the bags with peppers and eggplants from the freezer and let them melted outside being chill enough over night.

Today we prepared the stew with following ingredients as follow:
    1- 2 liters of sunflower oil;
    2- 5-6 kg of a mixture of chopped onions and leek - you can use only onions or only leeks;
    3- 4 kg of red peppers prepared as above;
    4- 2,5 kg of eggplants prepared as above;
    5- 2 liters of tomato sauce;
    6- according to your taste:4 bay leaves,salt and grounded black pepper.You can add any other spices you like.

Preparing:
    1-Take a large pot,pour the oil and start the fire;
    2-When the oil is hot enough,add the chopped onions and leeks;
    3-Start stirring until the mixture is fried according to your taste - mine is golden with a tempt of light brown color.This is the moment when you will never stop stirring,until the stew is ready;
    4- When the mixture kept the color,pour the melted red peppers and bay leaves and continue stirring;
    5- From the moment when is start boiling,keep boil it for an other half an hour;
    6- After this time,add the melted eggplants and tomato sauce and continue stirring;
    7- When you have homogenized the mixture add salt by your taste.Star with a small amount,let it dissolve,taste it and if is need it ad more.
    8- Continue boiling the mixture until is hot enough and boiling like tar and don't forget to add grounded black pepper
    9- When is boiling like that,that's the indicator that is the moment to put in previous sterilized jars and lids;
    10- Fasten well the lids and put the in a wooden or cardboard box and cover them with a blanket until next day.
    11- Next day,uncover them and place them in your storage place.
    That's all.Other recipes are with beans or rice,both boiled before be added to the mixture.

Stages of preparing the stew.
    All ingredients,excepting oil,black pepper and salt are homemade,including bay leaves from our bay tree
    Name:  thumbnail.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  thumbnail 1.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  23.7 KB

Tomorrow I will edit this post by adding the photos of the jars.

EDIT...

17 jars of 720 grams each so 12,24 kgs of canned vegetable stew
    Name:  Lenovo_A1000_IMG_20191121_173754.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  120.8 KB
    Last edited by EFO; 23rd November 2019 at 11:47. Reason: adding text and image

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Cara (23rd November 2019), Franny (26th November 2019), Kryztian (19th December 2019), Strat (22nd November 2019)

19. Link to Post #70
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

EFO

Looks like your sunflower oil portion might be wrong, no? At least in the pictures it looks a lot less than 2 liters...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Cara (25th November 2019), EFO (25th November 2019), Kryztian (19th December 2019)

21. Link to Post #71
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Well after a good week in the brine and then hanging to dry my Brisket ( Pastrami to be ) was ready for its cool smoking and then slow steaming.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Left to cool then sliced thinly and then gently steamed to reheat - YUM !

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Antagenet (30th November 2019), Cara (25th November 2019), Craig (26th November 2019), EFO (25th November 2019), Ernie Nemeth (26th November 2019), Krist (19th December 2019), Kryztian (3rd December 2019), Strat (19th December 2019)

23. Link to Post #72
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

EFO

Looks like your sunflower oil portion might be wrong, no? At least in the pictures it looks a lot less than 2 liters...
    Sincerely,it wasn't exactly 2 liters,because some sunflower oil remained inside the bottle's walls. My bad,sorry.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (25th December 2019), Ernie Nemeth (26th November 2019), Kryztian (19th December 2019), Strat (19th December 2019)

25. Link to Post #73
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)
    Well after a good week in the brine and then hanging to dry my Brisket ( Pastrami to be ) was ready for its cool smoking and then slow steaming.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Left to cool then sliced thinly and then gently steamed to reheat - YUM !
    Perfectly marvelous color...I can only dream to its taste!Gracious explanation!
    I'm speechless!
    YOU ARE AN ARTIST!

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (26th November 2019), Strat (19th December 2019)

27. Link to Post #74
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Today's meat pie with homemade kefir

Name:  Lenovo_A1000_IMG_20191203_131118.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  100.0 KB

Ingredients:
    1- 300 grams of grounded pork meat or what ever meat you like;
    2- 1 fine chopped onion;
    3- 100 grams of rice;
    4- salt and black pepper by your taste;
    5- strudel dough.

-Fry the onion until is yellow-brownish.
    -Boil "al dente" the rice.Must be al dente because during cooking the pie,the rice must absorb the the grease from the meat if you use pork.
    -After the rice is boiled,let it cool down and then mix in a bowl all ingredients.
    -Take three sheets of your strudel dough and put them in a tray.
    -Fill the sheets with the mixture and wrap them on top.
    -Put the pie in the preheated oven and take it out when top of the pie looks like in image above.

You can eat it hot or cool with yogurt,kefir or grounded Parmesan.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (5th December 2019), Cara (3rd December 2019), Did You See Them (3rd December 2019), Strat (19th December 2019)

29. Link to Post #75
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Not being religious the christian tradition requesting celebrating the birth of Jesus,but in ancient Dacian religion on 20 December they sacrificed the pigs,custom which is held even this days in rural settlements being a reason of celebration.Dacians believe that the pig is the symbol of the darkness and weakened the light of the Sun in the most shortest day of the year and must be scarified.

Regarding celebrating this season event/s (New Year is counting also ),shall we add more recipes and photos for members and visitors delight?

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (31st January 2020), Krist (19th December 2019), Strat (19th December 2019)

31. Link to Post #76
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Quote Posted by EFO (here)

Regarding celebrating this season event/s (New Year is counting also ),shall we add more recipes and photos for members and visitors delight?
    I will be be preparing Roast Goose with Truffle and Chestnut stuffing this year with all the trimmings - Happy to post a pic come Wednesday

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (31st January 2020), EFO (19th December 2019), Krist (19th December 2019)

33. Link to Post #77
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

shall we add more recipes and photos for members and visitors delight?
    Absolutely! And thanks for that info about Dacian religion. I never knew that. Neat stuff.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (31st January 2020), EFO (19th December 2019), Krist (19th December 2019)

35. Link to Post #78
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,413 times in 3,425 posts

Not actually cooking, but it's food preparation ... sprouting!!!

Broccoli sprouts (left) and "cruncy sprouts", that is, aduki beans, peas, garbanzo beans and green lentils (right).

The broccoli sprouts on our their seventh day and have two more days to go. This is from one and a half tablespoons of seeds. They are the universal garnish here and go on sandwiches, salads, soups, eggs, and sometimes I just grab a pinch and have them as a snack. They are very high in a great nutrient sulphurophane.

The crunchy sprouts took four days. The jar was less than an inch high with dried beans.

Here's my recipe for crunchy bean salad:

Sweet onions (red, Vidalia, Mayan)
    Cucumber (I like the Persian or English ones)
    Crunchy bean sprouts
    Celery
    Crunchy root vegetables (carrots, radish, jicama)
    Parsley, Cilantro or other leafy herb.

Chop all of the above in cubes no more than 1/4" (7 mm). Add your favorite dressing. Enjoy. Make a big batch and keep in the fridge.
    "If seeds in the black earth can turn into such beautiful roses, what might not the heart of man become in its long journey toward the stars?"
    --- G.K. Chesterton

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

Anka (20th December 2019), Cara (31st January 2020), EFO (19th December 2019), Krist (28th December 2019), Strat (19th December 2019)

37. Link to Post #79
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Did You See Them (here)

I will be be preparing Roast Goose with Truffle and Chestnut stuffing this year with all the trimmings - Happy to post a pic come Wednesday
    Christmas meal:
    - pork broth;
    - beuf salad;
    - pleurotus soup;
    - pork steak and mashed potatoes and mix salad;
    - cabbage rolls;
    - ice cream tort or whipped cream and fruits tort.

Of course recipes and photos will follow.

38. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (25th December 2019), Cara (31st January 2020), Krist (28th December 2019), Kryztian (19th December 2019), Strat (19th December 2019)

39. Link to Post #80
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    shall we add more recipes and photos for members and visitors delight?
    Absolutely! And thanks for that info about Dacian religion. I never knew that. Neat stuff.
    If you are interested I can tell you about the cord of "Martisor" and its real significance or Luana's land.

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (25th December 2019), Cara (31st January 2020), Strat (19th December 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 4 9 LastLast