1. Link to Post #1
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Default Street Epistemology

What is Street Epistemology?

Quote 1. Street Epistemology is the application of epistemology (the study of knowledge) outside of formal academic contexts.

2. Street Epistemology is a fun and effective way to talk to people about what's really true.

3. Street Epistemology is a conversational tool that helps people reflect on the reliability of the methods used to arrive at their deeply-held beliefs.

4. Street Epistemology is the process of identifying, understanding, and challenging belief claims by asking questions.
    https://streetepistemology.com/

I'm thinking it's not a bad idea for every truth seeker to question their own deeply held beliefs, in similar manner to how these people do it on the streets. Personally, I find it quite interesting to watch how it's done, making people really dig for why they hold certain beliefs, as in the following example.

It's well worth the watch, to be introduced, whenever you can spare 20 minutes.

2. Link to Post #2
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

Default Re: Street Epistemology

nice subject!

I contribute by proposing a consideration of the role of beliefs, because Beliefs might be not Truth.

So, opinions, assumptions, suspicions and similars are intrinsically related to Beliefs ( that might be not Truth )

A truth seeker can have doubts, and should try to be sure, and so, Beliefs are not a best way to do that.
    Last edited by RogeRio; 30th October 2019 at 13:35.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

aoibhghaire (30th October 2019), Bill Ryan (31st October 2019), Gracy (30th October 2019), Hervé (31st October 2019), Joe (30th October 2019), Mercedes (30th October 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (30th October 2019), Valerie Villars (30th October 2019), Victoria (30th October 2019), wondering (30th October 2019)

4. Link to Post #3
    United States Honored, Retired Member. Ron passed in October 2022.
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,257 times in 2,136 posts

I suspect that suspicions are much better than beliefs.
    Suspicions are more easily changed than beliefs,
    when new information is presented and filtered by intuition.
    I question everything, including my own evolving suspicions.

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ron Mauer Sr For This Post:

aoibhghaire (30th October 2019), Bill Ryan (31st October 2019), Caliban (30th October 2019), earthdreamer (31st October 2019), Gracy (30th October 2019), Hervé (31st October 2019), Michi (31st October 2019), Richard S. (31st October 2019), RogeRio (30th October 2019), sostre (31st October 2019), Sue (Ayt) (30th October 2019), Valerie Villars (30th October 2019), wondering (30th October 2019)

6. Link to Post #4
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,481 times in 1,331 posts

This is very interesting, thank you!

I wonder if this questioning dialogue is what Socrates did all those years ago?

Quote Socrates is one of the few individuals whom one could say has so-shaped the cultural and intellectual development of the world that, without him, history would be profoundly different. He is best known for his association with the Socratic method of question and answer, his claim that he was ignorant (or aware of his own absence of knowledge), and his claim that the unexamined life is not worth living, for human beings. He was the inspiration for Plato, the thinker widely held to be the founder of the Western philosophical tradition. Plato in turn served as the teacher of Aristotle, thus establishing the famous triad of ancient philosophers: Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. Unlike other philosophers of his time and ours, Socrates never wrote anything down but was committed to living simply and to interrogating the everyday views and popular opinions of those in his home city of Athens. At the age of 70, he was put to death at the hands of his fellow citizens on charges of impiety and corruption of the youth. His trial, along with the social and political context in which occurred, has warranted as much treatment from historians and classicists as his arguments and methods have from philosophers.
    *I have loved the stars too dearly to be fearful of the night*

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cara For This Post:

Bill Ryan (31st October 2019), Gracy (31st October 2019), Hervé (31st October 2019), Ron Mauer Sr (31st October 2019)

8. Link to Post #5
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

One of the things I find so fascinating about these impromptu interviews is, starting to understand how little thought most people have put into some of their most deeply held beliefs.

I've watched about 15 of these now, and all but a couple or so maintain right to the finish line that their sacred belief is 100% correct, even though it has been painstakingly laid out to them over and over and over again that evidence of true inquiry has been slim to none and, and it's almost always based directly on nothing but indoctrination from one's parents as a child.

For any one who has the time this lovely young lady is a prime example. 29 minutes.

9. Link to Post #6
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I've taught that class...

I use drama, and straight talk, with no sugar added...
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Gracy (31st October 2019)

+ Reply to Thread