+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6

Thread: Marijuana - a most complicated matter

1. Link to Post #101
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

Default Re: Marijuana - a most complicated matter

I think that for the sake of argument a case can be made that there is quite convincing statistical evidence that smoking causes cancer in some people - we just don't know in whom or why just them. Same for second-hand smoke.

And there is a world of difference between cigarettes manufactured by industry and those made by the indigenous community - although most of that is probably wishful thinking, considering there is no regulation of this illegal activity.

Marijuana is much the same. Some product out there is grown as hydroponics and that can easily be full of toxins if those growing it are inexperienced or not ethically inclined or morally responsible.

There is barely any foods nowadays that is not in some way compromised. Pesticide riddled, genetically altered, grown in depleted soils that need copious amounts of fertilizer, and other inappropriate practices makes for very unhealthy products on our grocery store shelves.

Choose your poison and hope for the best, is what the modern dietary considerations consists of these days.
    Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water...Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. Bruce Lee

Free will can only be as free as the mind that conceives it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

raregem (27th December 2019), Richard S. (4th December 2019), Valerie Villars (4th December 2019), william r sanford72 (4th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #102
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,536 times in 2,553 posts

There are journal studies that explore the physical and mental effects of cannabis. I guess like everything else, reactions are very individual, as are the effects of CBD vs. THC, and level of usage. Below is just one article:

Quote The contribution of cannabis use to variation in the incidence of psychotic disorder across Europe (EU-GEI): a multicentre case-control study
    published:March 19, 2019

Cannabis use is associated with increased risk of later psychotic disorder but whether it affects incidence of the disorder remains unclear. We aimed to identify patterns of cannabis use with the strongest effect on odds of psychotic disorder across Europe and explore whether differences in such patterns contribute to variations in the incidence rates of psychotic disorder.
    Methods

We included patients aged 18–64 years who presented to psychiatric services in 11 sites across Europe and Brazil with first-episode psychosis and recruited controls representative of the local populations. We applied adjusted logistic regression models to the data to estimate which patterns of cannabis use carried the highest odds for psychotic disorder. Using Europe-wide and national data on the expected concentration of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in the different types of cannabis available across the sites, we divided the types of cannabis used by participants into two categories: low potency (THC <10%) and high potency (THC ≥10%). Assuming causality, we calculated the population attributable fractions (PAFs) for the patterns of cannabis use associated with the highest odds of psychosis and the correlation between such patterns and the incidence rates for psychotic disorder across the study sites.
    Findings

Between May 1, 2010, and April 1, 2015, we obtained data from 901 patients with first-episode psychosis across 11 sites and 1237 population controls from those same sites. Daily cannabis use was associated with increased odds of psychotic disorder compared with never users (adjusted odds ratio [OR] 3·2, 95% CI 2·2–4·1), increasing to nearly five-times increased odds for daily use of high-potency types of cannabis (4·8, 2·5–6·3). The PAFs calculated indicated that if high-potency cannabis were no longer available, 12·2% (95% CI 3·0–16·1) of cases of first-episode psychosis could be prevented across the 11 sites, rising to 30·3% (15·2–40·0) in London and 50·3% (27·4–66·0) in Amsterdam. The adjusted incident rates for psychotic disorder were positively correlated with the prevalence in controls across the 11 sites of use of high-potency cannabis (r = 0·7; p=0·0286) and daily use (r = 0·8; p=0·0109).
    Interpretation

Differences in frequency of daily cannabis use and in use of high-potency cannabis contributed to the striking variation in the incidence of psychotic disorder across the 11 studied sites. Given the increasing availability of high-potency cannabis, this has important implications for public health.

full study:
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...048-3/fulltext
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Chester (4th December 2019), raregem (27th December 2019), Richard S. (4th December 2019), Valerie Villars (4th December 2019), william r sanford72 (4th December 2019)

5. Link to Post #103
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

Quote Posted by Praxis (here)

So I am to take it you are against agricultural in general then?

You statement is at odds with agrarian ways of life. One can not farm and have zero impact on the plants they are growing.

Do you consider the Hoover Dam natural?
    Do you consider a beaver dam natural?

What is natural and what is unnatural?
    I think I did write it before already....informations on natural farming you can find under permaculture or listen to Sepp Holzer and his knowledge about nature. It is very intersting and amazing.

Farming and agriculture goes ages the wrong way already, because it is working against nature and not with nature. Monoculture is totaly wrong, so is the use of chemicals or the manipulation of plants. Nature works for us, if we listen to her and do a right farming. Please inform yourself on this... I think Sepp Holzer can explain this way better, than I could.

And don`t all of you see the connection here ...if you compare tobbaco and now cannabis?

As soon they start to manipulate in which way ever...it goes down the drain what use to have a good and healthy effect before when it was
    natural grown.

Something to think about more close...I would say.

https://www.sott.net/article/221013-Health-Benefits-of-Smoking-Tobacco (...maybe this is why they did so much manipulations on natural tobacco.....)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	..still growing.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	41967  
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 5th December 2019 at 03:15.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

raregem (27th December 2019), Richard S. (4th December 2019)

7. Link to Post #104
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,309 times in 5,692 posts

I don't know if it's some kind of synchronicity due to my participation on this thread or what, but I keep seeing weed related things lately. The Graham Hancock/Rogan video is particularly interesting and well worth watching. Both Graham and Willie Nelson speak highly of weed, are not decrying it by any means, but are quitting for both personal and health related reasons.

Personally, I believe Graham will quit long term, but I have much less faith in Willie. I don't even think I want Willie to quit!

Graham Hancock has quit smoking weed:

And holy sh!t, so has Willie Nelson:
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...t-smoking-weed

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Chester (4th December 2019), Ernie Nemeth (8th December 2019), raregem (27th December 2019), william r sanford72 (4th December 2019)

9. Link to Post #105
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

My sources informed me that Hancock did not remain "quit."

As for myself... I stopped completely sometime in late January 2012 with one quite perilous "slip." In late 2015, where I was living back in my hometown, Dallas, Texas, USA (after 15 years of living out of the country where I returned to Dallas "for good" in early February, 2013), I was living in a home where all three of my sons (aged 20, 22 and 24) were also all living with me and were full blown wake and bakers... and I had been working hard on the legal immigration of my wife, Cristina, whose from Colombia... and we came up against a need for a single specific paper from the island of Curaçao whereby the US Embassy in Bogota had told her, without that paper, she would not be granted her US visa and permanent residency.

The smell of the weed that permeated my home combined with the stress of the immigration situation... I got weak and asked my sons for s bud or two which they were very happy to provide me - as, in my experience, most daily users think its great for everyone to use it and encourage it regardless of what might otherwise be reasons the individual should not - my sons had plenty of the "dark data" - much experienced first hand, as that all related to me... but I digress.

So I began an three or four day "slip" where I experienced the heightened psi type experience I call - "hyper-quantum synchronicity." Yet also, I felt the paranoia at times and then... within a few days I was bonging it in the AM (and all day) [IMO this is called "addiction] and... I woke on the fourth or fifth day with the overwhelming feeling of doom as to where this would lead... must specifically, that I would somehow fail to do all I could do to ensure the piece of paper we needed from Curaçao was obtained and would lose my wife, who I loved and love dearly and who means the world to me...

and so I gave the bong to the kids and the little bit of weed I had and begged them to stop doing it in the house so I wouldn't have to smell it all day and night and somehow I was able to stay away until the miracles we needed to fall into place regarding my wife's immigration whereby she arrived on January 13, 2017. Her arrival also meant my sons (who had a year to prepare) had to move out on their own and I no longer had to deal with the usage of marijuana and the smell and my own love for it in my house.

I have remained 100% marijuana free ever since and if we throw out those 4 or 5 days, in January 2020 it will be 8 years.

I would be lying if I did not say I sometimes dream of smoking weed again or being around it in my dreams (like part of a scenario where it is being sold and/or used). I would be lying if I didn't say I sometimes fantasize a "shamanic venture" to Colorado for like a three day mushroom / weed laden "consciousness exploration journey" but I also would be jeopardizing so much based on my history and based on my promises to myself and my wife that I leave that in the realm of fantasy and frankly rarely even have such thoughts. I sometimes wonder "what" might be influencing these thoughts yet also, I operate under the assumption I am 100% responsible for the thoughts I own and thus my words (written and spoken) and my actions... so I don't operate with an excuse even if demonic forces want me to fail and do what they can to ensure my failure. I hope Herve reads this... as the role he has played in my journey to get to this place has been vital (and thus, I always thank him).
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (6th December 2019), ExomatrixTV (26th December 2019), Mike (4th December 2019), Soda (27th December 2019), Tam (4th December 2019), william r sanford72 (4th December 2019)

11. Link to Post #106
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 642 posts

Willie quit toking, not ingesting:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/e...-not-quit-weed

Hyper Quantum Synchronicity. Be careful Sammy, if you don't trademark that name either Deepocket Chopra, Joe Dispenza or Joe Vitale will.... all the way to Chase Manhattan Bank

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Chester (4th December 2019), Ernie Nemeth (8th December 2019)

13. Link to Post #107
    Language
    English
    Thanks

...deleted..
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 4th December 2019 at 21:09.

14. Link to Post #108
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,312 times in 617 posts

Quote Posted by Whisper (here)

I think I did write it before already....informations on natural farming you can find under permaculture or listen to Sepp Holzer and his knowledge about nature. It is very intersting and amazing.

Farming and agriculture goes ages the wrong way already, because it is working against nature and not with nature. Monoculture is totaly wrong, so is the use of chemicals or the manipulation of plants. Nature works for us, if we listen to her and do a right farming. Please inform yourself on this... I think Sepp Holzer can explain this way better, than I could.

And don`t all of you see the connection here ...if you compare tobbaco and now cannabis?

As soon they start to manipulate in which way ever...it goes down the drain what use to have a good and healthy effect before when it was
    natural grown.

Something to think about more close...I would say.

https://www.sott.net/article/221013-Health-Benefits-of-Smoking-Tobacco (...maybe this is why they did so much manipulations on natural tobacco.....)
    Am literally a Owner/Operator of an Organic Farm, both certified by USDA and believe in it beyond just what they require, that focuses on regenerative and low till methods.

Yes Corporate monoculture is the root of all our problems, in all ways not just agrobusines.

I put it this way: Organic Biodiversity out-competes(destroys) corporate monoculture. If you like slogans there you go.

Consider the tomato.

The way I understand your reasoning is that any tomato grown outside of the Americas is wrong and should be stopped because it is not the natural habitat for the tomato.

Is this an incorrect understanding? The sheer planting of a plant outside of where it would naturally be able to get to without the help of humans is an unnatural act is what I understand your stance to be.

Or choosing the most delicious of your tomato plants and planting seeds from it and not other tomato plants would also be an unnatural act?

If these are true it would require even my own farm to change our methods and I think most farms, even organic ones.

I will look into Sepp, but on the cursory look I feel that we are already simpatico as he is very similar to Joel Salatin, who I am aware of(which he a wonderful writer if you have not heard of him).

Whisper, I feel we are on the same team and want the same thing and even, generally believe the same things( in regards to plants and farming methods) so please do not take any of this as an attack.

I know I am aggressive and feel strongly and that is something I work on. I apologize if this is coming off that way. But I really am just trying to understand your perspective as I think we should be very highly critical of corporate structure and strategy especially in regards to our food and land management.

I greatly appreciate your passion in regards to this topic as I believe it is the most important of our time. We are losing allies, as you put them, all across the kingdoms(animal, plant, insect, fungal) and the biodiversity loss is a BIG ****ING DEAL, pardon my language. I think I really like that you are aware of this topic and feel passionately about it.

Cheers

¤=[Post Update]=¤

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    I don't know if it's some kind of synchronicity due to my participation on this thread or what, but I keep seeing weed related things lately. The Graham Hancock/Rogan video is particularly interesting and well worth watching. Both Graham and Willie Nelson speak highly of weed, are not decrying it by any means, but are quitting for both personal and health related reasons.

Personally, I believe Graham will quit long term, but I have much less faith in Willie. I don't even think I want Willie to quit!

Graham Hancock has quit smoking weed:

And holy sh!t, so has Willie Nelson:
    https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...t-smoking-weed
    You will note that Hancock was actually from 2013. He didnt quit.

He took an extended break. He talks about it actually on another JRE podcast where he tokes with Joe after coming off the break. Basically, he says that it can be abused like all things. I am unsure of his current toking status but I wanted to clarify about this video and later developments

15. Link to Post #109
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Smoking pot is a good way to pick up astral attachments. So is getting drunk. My brother's personality, as a teen, changed for the worse overnight after he started smoking pot in high school. He became apathetic and mentally absent much of the time. I think it's still an effort for him to stay present, even though he hasn't smoked in almost 40 years.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Chester (10th December 2019), Richard S. (10th December 2019), ZenBaller (10th December 2019)

17. Link to Post #110
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,243 times in 4,597 posts

I would say that 99.99% of the problem and solution to it is in human hands and ability to discern what is it that we really need.

For me this debate belongs to the generation of people and their children who despite following cultured habits and good manners and studied just about half of the chemistry that we had to study even then these people had just books, TVs and radios to learn from and of course, other people.

What most of them never learned was how to listen to their own “body intelligence” and how to treat themselves and others with care and true discernment.

The whole problem of habits and wrong convictions has nothing to do with any particular substance, I believe. For example. There are millions of people out there who are already, chronically ill yet they continue feeding( themselves) and overeat on daily bases, not only that - they eat foods they like in particular even if it totally whacks their stomachs, gall bladders, livers and so forth.
    They will do it day after day because and after all, according to your western medical specialist if you don’t eat for a day you are “fasting” and should you “fast” longer something is or could go seriously wrong with you. It’s about pre taught convictions.

No matter what your condition is, where one is starting from, it’s really important to realize that every drop and bit ultimately matters.

When I was still teaching meditation and philosophy, back in days I’d always tell people to think and meditate for a while on the amount of human effort needed so that everything takes place and the food people buy in supermarkets, fast, easy and good looking , how many people in chain, how much work was put into making any of those..

Feel little grateful for every bit of everything. Appreciate it, taste, don’t just “consume”.
    Consumers, “consumer market” is a bad label really, economical slang yes but it speaks of unprocessed, unfiltered habit of consuming what ever comes under or whatever is offered.
    It’s a bad moral that this materialistic, agnostic civilisation brought upon itself, desecrating the status of human beings, animals and plants and virtually all life calling it soul less, immoral and primitive.

That kind of life degrading philosophy is responsible for far more confusion, depression and drug abuse than has ever existed or been ever created on this planet in the name of any “deity”.

Seemingly safe, life less philosophy of perfection without soul.

As a result we get millions of people who are in despair about all the rest so also millions who will reach for remedies.

Alcohol is far more dangerous than marijuana yet it’s sold free all over the world.

Even then and as an example, alcohol is also either medicine or poison like any other substance depending how much do you take and what’s your condition.

Same with marijuana and everything, I think.

Do you eat the same foods everyday in the same amount ?

If you did, would it give you any pleasure anymore ?

I bet it would not. Or are you taking chunks of food, putting them to your mouth without discrimination, even if you know you may get sick?
    I bet you don’t, as mature and aware adults.

Now why do people take psychotropic drugs without discrimination and awareness of virtually every moment, of you are doing it, please stop.

It’s not safe the way it’s being offered, aka “for consumption”.

If you know what you’re doing, if your brain or body needs it, you may drink bottle of whisky, get sick and that’s done( no I don’t recommend).
    But if you do it everyday, you are SICK and should not do that.

Wise people don’t consume things that way. In Himalayas and the culture who cultivated cannabis thousands of years ago people still have lots of respect for it because it’s medicinal plant and has virtually almost positive effect on your well being well unless ..
    you have little respect for it and yourself.

In short, yes people can die for wrong upbringing or convictions. Anything of substance, even an energy( frequency, music for example) should be treated with respect and care, as a medicine for body and soul.

I get little angry when I see all these teenagers or any other people smoking and drinking without respect to themselves and each other, the effects may be about anything but your own chaotic condition getting worse.

The way it was done traditionally, as an offering in its original culture had more to do with power or awareness and powerful clarity of mind that should transport the aspirant to more advanced , self-healing state of being.

Young people of today get it via their friends often without any spiritual initiation and instruction. It being illegal yet in many countries there’s also a problem of availability and sense of guilt unless your society accepts it as a norm.

So this only points out the deep rift between ourselves and Mother Nature here. While we breathe tons of chemicals we should not breathe, exhales, fumes from farms and factories and can buy heavy chemicals capable of poisoning thousands

we are so confused about what we need really
    and makings of little flower.

Well, don’t forget about the Flower Generation and All We Need is Love 😀

Without pure love no medicine works

🙏🌸🙏

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Agape For This Post:

bojancan (26th December 2019), Richard S. (11th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (26th December 2019)

19. Link to Post #111
    Thanks

Apparently marijuana psychosis is an actual disorder:

https://www.inquirer.com/health/mari...-20191223.html

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Chester (28th December 2019), Richard S. (26th December 2019)

21. Link to Post #112
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Lightbulb Re: Marijuana - a most complicated matter

Well, everybody is unique. So for some people something is good and helps for another person it could have a bad effect. This is a fact. Some people might get a psychosis from smokeing pot...for others it has positive effects. It is always up to your own private condition of body and soul - I would say.

Talking about psychosis and mental dissorders...I guess nobody so far did read much up on the link about health effects of tobacco smokeing around here..... there is written among other health benefits, for example :

The most fascinating and widely recognized health benefit of smoking is its ability to seemingly alleviate symptoms of mental illnesses, including anxiety and schizophrenia. According to an article published in 1995 in Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews, schizophrenics have much higher smoking rates than people with other mental illnesses, and appear to use it as a method of self-medicating. The article postulates that nicotine found in cigarettes reduces psychiatric, cognitive, sensory, and physical effects of schizophrenia, and also provides relief of common side effects from antipsychotic drugs.

The treatment of schizophrenia isn't the only positive effect that nicotine has on the brain. A series of very interesting studies from multiple academic sources confirms that the risk of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease is surprisingly higher in non-smokers than in smokers. Doctor Laura Fratiglioni of Huddinge University Hospital in Sweden states, "Cigarette smokers are 50% less likely to have PD or AD than are age and gender-matched nonsmokers [...] cigarette smoking exerts an undefined, biologic, neuroprotective influence against the development of PD and AD."

source and full text here: https://www.sott.net/article/221013-...moking-Tobacco

this is interessting also : FDA: Anti-smoking drugs can make you crazy. Los Angeles Times. July 1, 2009. ups..sorry article´´quickly vanished from internet....
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 26th December 2019 at 07:14.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Ratszinger (27th December 2019), Richard S. (26th December 2019)

23. Link to Post #113
    Thanks

Talking about psychosis and mental dissorders...I guess nobody so far did read much up on the link about health effects of tobacco smokeing around here..... there is written among other health benefits, for example :
    I'm not surprised that tobacco smoking has a beneficial mental effect. Smoking 20 cigarettes a day gives one 20 "time outs" a day, 20 withdrawals into a semi-meditative state, a socially acceptable pause from life. Just watch a smoker sometime -- they are half-elsewhere. That's why it's so hard to quit. I found the physical withdrawal is over in a month, but it takes a whole year of abstinence to experience twice every instance that "requires" a cigarette -- after which the habit is gone.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Richard S. (27th December 2019)

25. Link to Post #114
    Language
    English
    Thanks

I guess TomKat, you did not inform yourself also, by the links about health benefits from natural tobacco I did post earlier?

This was just one health benefit you could read up on there. I wrote this one, because members been talking here about psychosis and mental disorders.....

In fact there are many more health benefits on smokeing natural tobacco listed, backed up by links to the study done :

- Cigarette smoking has also been linked to a decrease in risk of certain inflammatory disorders, since nicotine itself appears to be an anti-inflammatory agent.

- While this is certainly not worth at-home experimentation, one astonishing study conducted in Sweden observed two generations of Swedish children and found that the children of smokers had lower rates of allergic rhinitis, allergic asthma, atopic eczema, and food allergies. The studied groups included 6909 adults and 4472 children, and the findings remained consistent, even when adjusted to reflect other variables.

- The treatment of schizophrenia isn't the only positive effect that nicotine has on the brain. A series of very interesting studies from multiple academic sources confirms that the risk of Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease is surprisingly higher in non-smokers than in smokers.

- It appears to reduce the risk of ulcerative colitis, sarcoidosis, endometrial cancer, uterine fibroids and breast cancer among women carrying the very high risk BRCA gene. Using organic tobacco with no additives may be a way to utilize these benefits, without many of the risks posed by conventional tobacco.

If you are a tobacco lover, the best way to obtain it is to plant your own in a garden or in pots. Since there's no recipe on how to use it and in which quantities, a good way would be to use your intuition.

Throughout South and North America, tobacco was used consumed in a diversity of ways: it was chewed, sniffed, smoked, eaten, juiced, smeared over bodies, and used in eye drops and enemas. Its use varied depending on the culture and location - it ranged from medicinal as a remedy for many ailments, to purely recreational consumed by both men and women, and also mystical - a connection to the spiritual world: it´s purifying smoke was blown over fields before planting, over women prior to sex, blown into warriors' faces before battle, it was offered to gods as well as accepted as their gift. In other words, tobacco smoke was believed to carry blessings, protection and most of all purification.

But..
    In the US, the industry uses over 600 intentional chemical additives to blended cigarettes. Furthermore, there is a myriad of additives present in tobacco final products which are not intentionally added, but are simply a by-product of growing and production process.

These include: various microorganisms, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, heavy metals, foreign materials such as metal, cardboard, styrofoam, wood fragments, small animals and insects, and other elements such as organic solvents and dioxins.

As if this wasn't enough, in 1982 tobacco became the first plant that was genetically modified

Question is now : What are the people addicted to? The nicotine itself or some other unnatural ingredients which are added by the industrie? I guess nobody really can answer this question....

By now, we have a massive discrimination going on towards tobacco smokers, build up on lies and false statements....

I think the marijuana will go a similar way soon. Whatever has some health effects for many people is getting manipulated and destroyed sooner or later.....

https://worldnewsdailyreport.com/mon...-of-marijuana/

Monsanto Creates First Genetically Modified Strain of Marijuana /December 2019
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 27th December 2019 at 17:56.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Richard S. (29th December 2019)

27. Link to Post #115
    Thanks

What are the people addicted to? The nicotine itself or some other unnatural ingredients which are added by the industrie? I guess nobody really can answer this question....
    I remember when I switched to Nature's Spirit and had a headache for a week because my body wanted the chemicals. At any rate, that was physical, not psychological, addiction, and it was over quickly. Getting over the psychological addiction took about a year.

I've had no desire to smoke in 3 decades and I'm pretty sure my lungs are better off for it. And I drink decaf coffee because my blood pressure is high enough without caffeine.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Mike (27th December 2019), Strat (27th December 2019)

29. Link to Post #116
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    Apparently marijuana psychosis is an actual disorder:

https://www.inquirer.com/health/mari...-20191223.html
    It is, and is why I created the thread, having experienced 10 psychosis events (one almost fatal - the tenth and last when I finally got the message - 8 years ago)... psychosis events exacerbated by long term, heavy dose use of high quality marijuana.

My left eye is blind as a result of one of these psychosis (the seventh one).

There are far more cases just like this than many wish to acknowledge, yet it is still a very small percentage of users who use marijuana "medically" (and I am talking about "to get high" thus for the THC), still - the fact that marijuana can induce psychosis is proven true more and more. Does this mean "you" should never smoke marijuana? I think your experience should tell you your answer. For most, it can be used "medically" and with benefits (or perceived benefits) and for many, it can be used recreationally without immediate, perceptible issues related to psychosis.

And then there's those who do get addicted - yes, addiction happens with marijuana in some cases... in fact, about 10% (some stats say more) of those who try marijuana two or three times (sometimes just once) become addicted. It doesn't matter if the addiction is only psychological. Addiction is addiction. And understand, each time I was forced to quit (and in two cases, I quit voluntarily), I experienced very real withdrawal symptoms that I felt physically and psychologically and were quite unpleasant with the exception of quitting after my 8th psychosis.

If I read an article like the one above prior to 1990 and that 8th experience (even though I never found one quite so direct and quite so accurate in regards to my own experience), I wouldn't have "bought it." I would have thought it was pure propaganda. But after that 9th experience in 2001 and then the last one in 2012, I started to see articles appear where the conclusions held open the possibility, even likelihood that about 3-5% of the population who had become daily users eventually ended up experiencing psychosis. Up until then, I had always convinced myself these two things were not connected - marijuana and psychosis.

And so now, with the mass "recreational" legalization and "medical marijuana" legalization, coupled with the significant increase in THC percentages... the emergency rooms and rehabs are showing the reality of the risk (including the rise) more and more. It's not "Reefer Madness BS" to point out the facts. But to do so is automatically considered to be "Reefer Madness BS" fear mongering. This is sadly what human beings do (fear mongering) and are susceptible to concluding (that it is fear mongering). I know my own intent and it is devoid of fear mongering. It is driven by compassion for others who might read this and one day appreciate the information as that may relate to a loved one or even their own experience.

And so the few who have both, real experience with marijuana induced psychosis (like myself) and who have done their homework, initially as in my case, because they would rather remain in denial yet fear their suspicions about themselves and marijuana may be right (like myself) and who end up concluding that the chance there is, at least in one's own personal experience, a basis for concluding there's a clear connection, then perhaps one can do what I have done that I have never done before... and that is stay off marijuana (and all drugs for that matter, including alcohol... because they have always led me back to smoking weed) for eight years now.

Here's the text of the article which is pretty much what I have read in several different news reports which are attacked and suppressed as best they can by the marijuana lobby because, as we know full well about humans, greed drives the train above any and all else.

Cannabis-related psychosis, addiction, ER visits: For young users, marijuana can be a dangerous game

Not long ago when Joseph Garbely, chief medical officer for the Caron Foundation, reviewed younger patients starting drug or alcohol treatment on his unit, he usually saw people shaking, sick, and seizing from alcohol or opioid withdrawal. Marijuana was seldom what put them in those medical beds.
    That has changed.

“A few years ago, it was rare to see a young person enter Caron with marijuana-induced psychosis,” said Garbely. “Now we see it on a regular basis. Older teens and young adults — approximately ages 18 to 26 — are the most impacted. We see a significant misperception about the safety and efficacy of marijuana among our teen and young-adult patient population.”

Marijuana, legal for medical uses in well over half the states in the country and as a recreational substance in ever more states, is generating increasing concern as a dependency-causing drug capable of serious impairment and harm, particularly among its youngest users. New Jersey voters will get to decide in 2020 whether to legalize marijuana for recreational use for people age 21 and over.

While it was once doubted as an addictive substance, treatment professionals now say they are seeing more adolescents and young adults with cannabis use disorder. Often starting in their early teens, many graduate to daily use.

“The majority of cases we see of substance use disorder are marijuana,” said Ned Campbell, medical director of Rehab After School, an intensive out-patient program for adolescents in Southeastern Pennsylvania, including the Philadelphia area.

My final comments - The areas of the article that I emphasized are done so because my own experience matches the statement. And I understand I am one person... but I am one person who has not only done a great deal of research on the matter, but has met plenty of others who have endured the same experience. One thing this article did not mention but has been noted in many similar articles... this "thing," marijuana induced psychosis, seems to occur far more in males than females.

I had all the key ingredients. I was 15 when I tried it and within a few months was addicted (bonging it from when I awoke in the morning). I was male. I became addicted every time I started using again (and the only reason I stopped was because of the hospitalizations for psychosis). By age 28, I had had 7 of the 10 psychosis experiences pointing out the concentration between my first, aged 19 and that seventh event, aged 28 - meaning I had 70% of my experiences within that rough window the article points out.

It's real. It happens. The legalization lobby doesn't want to see the concern become a legitimate part of the debate. And the anti-drug fanatics do just as much harm by fear mongering about it.

All groups should come together (but they won't because humans have yet to show they are capable of such). They should come together such that the risk can be properly disseminated to the public. The plant and all its usages should be legalized. The derivatives (high % THC "edibles" for example) should be better regulated. It all should be regulated, but regulations put forth by the powerful and financially strong "marijuana lobby" should not be the regulations established. But again, greed drives this train, just like Big Alcohol did and just like Big Tobacco did.

"Big Marijuana" knows the cost years down the road is not near enough to scare them into being honest about the risks, so they remain dishonest and they continue to deny and/or suppress any information they deem as negative.

So why do I even bother creating a thread like this? Because (as mentioned before) I believe a friend (and member) could benefit from considering the possibility his issues are, at least in part, made worse by usage of marijuana (bonging it... bonging really high quality - high THC content marijuana). I write this because my oldest son (age 28) has had 4 of these same psychosis episodes all involving the same factors related to marijuana that led to my ten experiences. Because my middle son has recently become so heavily paranoid (the last stage before the psychosis becomes full blown) where he has concocted false realities with jealousies at the core which has torn him apart from a few friends, but worse... his younger brother. Where his paranoia led him to conclude "things" about myself which are so horrific our relationship has likely ended for the rest of our lives. Because my youngest son is a wake and baker (in fact, all three are) but on top of that he has followed the path of my father (his grandfather) and is a full blown "functional" (for now) alcoholic at age 24.

And they all sometimes read my posts on this forum. And some of the studies have mentioned the possibility of a genetic connection with regards to the addiction/psychosis proclivity.
    Last edited by Chester; 28th December 2019 at 16:13.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Ernie Nemeth (19th January 2020), Richard S. (29th December 2019)

31. Link to Post #117
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sammy (here)
    “A few years ago, it was rare to see a young person enter Caron with marijuana-induced psychosis,” said Garbely. “Now we see it on a regular basis. Older teens and young adults — approximately ages 18 to 26 — are the most impacted. We see a significant misperception about the safety and efficacy of marijuana among our teen and young-adult patient population.”
    Isn't this the same age schizophrenia generally manifests? Might be a stretch to completely blame marijuana.

32. Link to Post #118
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sammy (here)
    Isn't this the same age schizophrenia generally manifests? Might be a stretch to completely blame marijuana.
    Yes and I don't completely lay it on marijuana. That's been clear in all my posts in this thread. Nevertheless, what has become quite clear, especially since the rise in THC strength of smokable marijuana and the increase in people's usage (which has occurred ever since the trend to legalize in its various forms or decriminalize is that when the susceptibility is there, what sometimes makes the difference between having or not having the experience of full blown psychosis (which can be far more dangerous) is the inducement of the psychosis by usage of marijuana.

I happen to be very libertarian and I think all of this stuff should be completely legal. I also think people should want to know the risks without distortions of those risks. Sadly, the distortions, in both directions are the norm for human beings. Oh well.

33. Link to Post #119
    Language
    English
    Thanks

And I drink decaf coffee because my blood pressure is high enough without caffeine.
    TomKat...
    Coffe does not cause high blood pressure..in fact regular coffee, the caffeine helps the body to eliminate partly certain metalls out of the human body. This is why caffeine is helpful for people who have Alzheimer....for example.... Decaf. coffee does not have this effect... 1-3 cups regular coffee a day is good to drink. I got this from a toxicologist I use to have contact to.....

What is bad to consum if you have high blood pressure already is unnatural salt, magerine and artificial foods and drinks. High blood pressure and diabetis are mainly caused by eating the wrong foods....says Dr. Schnitzer. And his patients get healed in about 2 month, just following his advices on what and how to eat and drink right..... Just thought I let you know. If you want more informations on this, write me a pm, because this is not a subject for this thread. And I am out of here anyways.... Have a good day
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 1st January 2020 at 11:12.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Sue (Ayt) (19th January 2020)

35. Link to Post #120
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...-u-s-1.5431520

As predicted, the pot industry is not doing well in Canada. Stock market prices are dropping fast. There is talk of purposely misleading investors, as this article describes.

The next part of the plan will commence soon. The crackdown on illegal growers and the buyers who support them!

Mark my words.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Chester (19th January 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 6