+ Reply to Thread

Thread: University Professor Claims Insects and Reptiles live on Mars

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Insects and Reptiles on Mars, says Ohio State U Professor

Dear Guys,

Just came across this article today. I am amazed that a well-known academic should be going down the same path as Andrew Basiago. I'm keeping an open mind at the moment, but it looks as if the consensus is that it's good old pareidolia at work.

[NB: Pareidolia = The perception of a recognizable image or meaningful pattern where none exists or is intended]

I do know that entomology is a pretty precise discipline, with great care taken in the classification of lifeforms, so I'm intrigued:

NASA Photos Show Insect- and Reptile-Like Life Forms on Mars, Entomologist Says

Ohio University Emeritus Professor William Romoser has analyzed photos from NASA’s various Mars rovers, mostly from the rover Curiosity, and found insect/arthropod- and reptile-like organisms (both as fossils and living creatures) in the images.

http://www.sci-news.com/space/insect...ars-07830.html

"There has been and still is life on Mars,” said Professor Romoser, who was an entomology professor at Ohio University for 45 years and co-founded its Tropical Disease Institute, also spent nearly 20 years as a visiting vector-borne disease researcher at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases.

“There is apparent diversity among the Martian insect-like fauna which display many features similar to terran insects that are interpreted as advanced groups — for example, the presence of wings, wing flexion, agile gliding/flight, and variously structured leg elements.”

“While the Martian rovers, particularly Curiosity, have been looking for indicators of organic activity, there are a number of photos which clearly depict the insect- and reptile-like forms.”

“Numerous photos show images where arthropod body segments, along with legs, antennae and wings, can be picked out from the surrounding area, and one even appears to show one of the insects in a steep dive before pulling up just before hitting the ground,” he said.

"Professor Romoser said he used several criteria in the study: dramatic departure from the surroundings, clarity of form, body symmetry, segmentation of body parts, repeating form, skeletal remains, and observation of forms in close proximity to one another.

“An exoskeleton and jointed appendages are sufficient to establish identification as an arthropod,” he explained.

“Three body regions, a single pair of antennae, and six legs are traditionally sufficient to establish identification as insect on Earth. These characteristics should likewise be valid to identify an organism on Mars as insect-like.”

“On these bases arthropodan insect-like forms can be seen in the Mars rover photos.”

“Many insect-like creatures and putative diversity were observed. The most common insect-like forms are robust and loosely resemble bumble bees or carpenter bees on Earth. For convenience, I’ll refer to these creatures as ‘bees’ from this point on.”

“The ‘bees’ appear to vary in size and type. Several characteristic insect/arthropod anatomical features were identifiable, not all on the same individual, but as a mosaic among individuals.”

“Distinct flight behavior was evident in many images. In one case observed, the flight maneuver was impressive with the individual ‘bee’ plunging straight down the side of a cliff and leveling off just before hitting the ground.”

“The insect-like fauna observed appeared to be sheltering/nesting in caves, in burrows beneath the surface, and in specialized structures.”

“Possible predation of the insect-like types by reptile-like creatures and putative insect-like (‘bee’) and reptile-like fossils were seen,” he said.

According to the researcher, interpretations of insect- and reptile-like creatures he described may change in the future as knowledge of life on Mars evolves, but that the sheer volume of evidence is compelling.

“Given evidence for the presence of insect/arthropod and reptile-like organisms beyond the confines of Earth, perhaps ‘astroentomology’ and ‘astroherpetology’ will emerge as important topics within the field of astrobiology,” Professor Romoser concluded.

He presented the findings November 19, 2019 at the National Meeting of the Entomological Society of America in St. Louis, Missouri.
    Last edited by Longjohn; 22nd November 2019 at 11:45.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (22nd November 2019), ExomatrixTV (22nd November 2019), Justplain (22nd November 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019), onawah (22nd November 2019), Philippe (22nd November 2019), Sadieblue (22nd November 2019), Sophocles (22nd November 2019), thepainterdoug (22nd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 125,726 times in 20,828 posts

Exclamation Re: University Professor Claims Insects and Reptiles live on Mars

Mars Anomalies Collection, Curiosity Rover 2018

Curiosity Rover, Mars Anomalies, Dust Storm 2018

100 Mars Anomalies, Mars Rover Curiosity 2015
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 22nd November 2019 at 01:14.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (22nd November 2019), Longjohn (22nd November 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019), mountain_jim (23rd November 2019), Sadieblue (22nd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    Thanks

Scientific Proof of Life, Oxygen, Methane, Ozone, & Flowing Water. The latest test results & images from NASA/JPL.

What Does New-Found Water on Mars Mean for life?

Evidence of Liquid Water Lake on Mars
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 22nd November 2019 at 01:26.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (22nd November 2019), Longjohn (22nd November 2019), Mark (22nd November 2019), mountain_jim (23rd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

7. Link to Post #4
    Language
    Thanks

Default Re: University Professor Claims Insects and Reptiles live on Mars

Must See! Planet Mars Has Something Moving Under Its Surface!

Something Is Alive On Mars..

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), Justplain (22nd November 2019), Longjohn (22nd November 2019), mountain_jim (23rd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

9. Link to Post #5
    Great Britain Avalon Member roguemoon's Avatar
    Thanks

NASA has know about life on Mars since the Viking missions and have known about intelligent structures since the 60s. All suppressed due to religious reasons and of course the brooking report. One has only to look on the images produced by the Mars Global surveyor to see cities that lay down in the southern regions where the winds are less fierce.
    The rover images are all either faked or heavily scrubbed clean, blurred and pixelated though it is possible to see anomalies, just don't get involved with Basiago and his team of wally's on facebook.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to roguemoon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (22nd November 2019), Longjohn (22nd November 2019), mountain_jim (23rd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    Thanks

Top 5 Mars Mysteries yet to be solved!
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 22nd November 2019 at 12:13.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (27th November 2019), Longjohn (22nd November 2019), mountain_jim (23rd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

13. Link to Post #7
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dear Roguemoon,

I hope you didn't misunderstand me. I was not pronouncing myself for or against Andrew Basiago. What makes me sit up and think is that here you have a professional entomologist (a university professor, no less) who presented this paper at the recent US national conference in his field. The professor comes from Ohio State University which is by no means at the bottom of either U.S. or world university rankings.

I'm very much aware that entomology is a discipline that requires precision and attention to detail. I know that from personal experience because my own mother worked in this field!

What you have to ask yourself is that if a guy of Professor Romoser's standing is prepared to put his head above the parapet and make claims like this, then perhaps those earlier ones of Basagio and others have some substance.

All true scientists should observe the following maxim (attributed to Schopenhauer): 'All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident.'

So we should always be prepared to revise our opinions in the light of new evidence!

Regards,

John

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (22nd November 2019), onawah (22nd November 2019), roguemoon (22nd November 2019), Siphonemis (27th November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019), Valerie Villars (29th November 2019)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Definitely not the first time I've heard about reptiles on Mars hyuck hyuck.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (22nd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019), Tyy1907 (22nd November 2019)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

When considering that some level of fraud has been employed, how can anything ostensibly from Mars be trusted? There seems to be credible evidence that some footage from Mars was actually from some island off Canada. Devon Island? The exact same topography. They even photographed a little rodent on Mars. One that just happened to be indigenous to Devon Island.

And how do they see what they claim to see? Even with big red arrows pointed right at an "insect" I can't see it? "This is it's eyes, this is it's abdomen". Riiiiiight. I'm not saying there are no anomalous images or footage actually from Mars. Just how do you know it's really from Mars? The deceit runs deeply.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (27th November 2019), Longjohn (22nd November 2019), Satori (29th November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

19. Link to Post #10
    Great Britain Avalon Member roguemoon's Avatar
    Thanks

Dear Long John.

I respect your feelings about Mr Basiago, the truth is i just don't know what to make of this cat, his story is ludicrous yet he has a strong following on Facebook.

What most folks don't know about these Mars rover images is that there are many renders of the same shot and all have a fuzzy filter placed over the top that renders the image as fragile as a feather. To try enhance a Mars rover image is like placing cling film over treacle and pressing down on it, each time your press down you'll get a different result.
    As i understand it the rovers take the original photo, its beamed up to a satellite then intercepted by Malin industries who clean up each photo then its beamed down to NASA to put online as they are duty bound to do.

There are real Mars images on the net, you can tell the real one cos the sky is a baby blue colour and the rover and background isn't blurred or pixelated.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roguemoon For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), Billy (22nd November 2019), EFO (27th November 2019), onawah (22nd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019), Valerie Villars (29th November 2019)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks
    Thanked 457,535 times in 32,788 posts

Quote Posted by roguemoon (here)
    just don't get involved with Basiago and his team of wally's on facebook.
    Or anywhere else!

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

EFO (27th November 2019), ExomatrixTV (26th November 2019), Longjohn (22nd November 2019), Philippe (26th November 2019), roguemoon (25th November 2019), Sunny-side-up (23rd November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019), Yoda (28th November 2019)

23. Link to Post #12
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dear Conk,

Are you suggesting that the footage we see online was filmed both on Mars and on the Earth, or on only one of those places?

You mention Devon Island: is there some evidence for what you say? Is there actually a photo with a rodent on it?

Cheers,

John

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd November 2019), EFO (27th November 2019), toppy (22nd November 2019)

25. Link to Post #13
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Dear Guys,

I'm getting the impression from the followers of this thread that I have a sneaking support for Andrew Basagio. I don't: I base my opinions on my research which I do as thoroughly as I can. I'm a physicist with M.Sc. degrees in Geophysics and Electronics, and I've done enough image processing to know when to beware of making false interpretations of images. I'm well aware of the human failing of pareidolia (Man in the Moon' syndrome), which I mentioned in my original post.

For example, I'm always rather dubious of people who say there are Martian or lunar cities when they observe rectilinear, street-type geometries present in the given view. All too often, this is most probably due to 'pixelation' resulting from working with a compressed JPEG image of the scene. But you also have to ask yourself why the investigators were prepared to use such inadequate data in the first place and why they did not seek higher quality versions of the same. This reflects rather badly on the 'researchers'.

Equally you have to ask why it is the case that we can't get hold of high quality data when you know that the spacecraft or rover was capable of obtaining it.

For example, in the Clementine moon-orbiter missions, we were never allowed to see the full high-resolution data. If there was nothing to hide and no areas of military (?) significance on the moon, there should have been no impediment to allowing the public to view that data.

It could well be that Professor Romoser, being an entomologist, was not sufficiently aware of image quality issues. Perhaps he has a long-standing interest in alien life and was to some extent biased in his interpretation. On the other hand, he is a professional entomologist of the highest order and so, for the moment, I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Let's see what comes out of all this!

Cheers, John
    Last edited by Longjohn; 23rd November 2019 at 21:34.

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd November 2019), EFO (27th November 2019), mountain_jim (27th November 2019), muxfolder (25th November 2019), onawah (22nd November 2019), Strat (22nd November 2019), The Moss Trooper (29th November 2019)

27. Link to Post #14
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd November 2019), EFO (27th November 2019), mountain_jim (27th November 2019), TomKat (24th November 2019)

29. Link to Post #15
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Quote Posted by Longjohn (here)
    Dear Conk,

Are you suggesting that the footage we see online was filmed both on Mars and on the Earth, or on only one of those places?

You mention Devon Island: is there some evidence for what you say? Is there actually a photo with a rodent on it?

Cheers,

John
    The "rodent" on Mars, which appears exactly like the real rodent found on Devon.

Here is the comparison (albeit a short one) of Devon and Mars. Right down to the exact same rocks/boulders.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

EFO (27th November 2019), Longjohn (29th November 2019), mountain_jim (27th November 2019)

31. Link to Post #16
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 times in 164 posts

Richplanet (www.richplanet.net) did a very good analysis in 2016 of the Mars Rover footage and considered it highly lightly that the Rover footage came from earth:

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IChingUChing For This Post:

conk (27th November 2019), EFO (27th November 2019), Longjohn (29th November 2019), mountain_jim (30th November 2019)

33. Link to Post #17
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Thank you, Conk, for your interesting videos.

To comment on the video entitled 'Mars vs. Devon Island', there is no evidence regarding where the 'Devon Island' pic was supposedly taken. Is there a resource on the internet that allows one to find out? That's something we really do need to know before we can draw conclusions.

In the absence of other evidence to the contrary, I would suggest both pictures were obtained on Mars!

The other video, 'Rat on Mars', is a bit harder to contradict, but seems to be a case of pareidolia at work. The producer of the video makes the patently absurd suggestion that NASA somehow transported the hibernated animal to Mars and then released it to test its ability to survive on the surface. He says it's 'difficult for NASA to deny for that here is 100% proof that there is a rodent on Mars', which doesn't give you much confidence in any of his following statements!

If, on the the other hand, you are absolutely convinced the Rover is roaming around Devon Island, you would still need photographs of much better quality than the available images to be 100% sure you are seeing a rodent and not a rock.

Cheers,

John
    Last edited by Longjohn; 29th November 2019 at 19:26.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

EFO (29th November 2019), mountain_jim (30th November 2019)

35. Link to Post #18
    UK Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Entomologist Romoser backtracks on claims?

Apparently, Romoser has withdrawn his paper after Ohio State University deleted the press release amidst a storm of criticism:

'University Deletes Press Release Claiming Evidence of Bugs on Mars'

'Entomologist backtracks on claims of insects on Mars'
    Last edited by Longjohn; 29th November 2019 at 14:44.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longjohn For This Post:

EFO (29th November 2019), mountain_jim (30th November 2019)

37. Link to Post #19
    United States Avalon Member James's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 times in 174 posts

If all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail.

Or an insect, in this case...

Maybe domes, tunnels, or cities in another.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

EFO (29th November 2019), Longjohn (29th November 2019), mountain_jim (30th November 2019)

+ Reply to Thread