+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boss, Chief, Buddy, Etc.

1. Link to Post #21
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,678 times in 3,332 posts

Default Re: Boss, Chief, Buddy, Etc.

Maybe the annoyance is a male thing. I have never looked at any of those ways of addressing someone as a sort of positioning of power. In fact, I find a lot of them rather endearing. The other side of the coin is that I'm a female so maybe no one ever attempts to establish any power position with me.

Now here is the bristley part..Why does that bother you so much? There is this thing in the world, that which bugs the hell out of you, is always really about you...sometimes I just hate that but it is a great tool if you use it.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (10th December 2019), Gracy (10th December 2019), Mike (10th December 2019), petra (11th December 2019), Tintin (11th December 2019), Valerie Villars (10th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,192 times in 32,903 posts

The mods would like to change the thread title to

Boss, Chief, Buddy, Dude, Big Man, Little Brother, Bro, Luv, Darlin, Toots, Pal, Dear, Hun, Sweetie, Babe, Sweetheart, Ma'am, Miss, Mate, Sheg, Duck*, Hen**

* English
    ** Scottish (don't ask!)

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Gracy (10th December 2019), Mike (10th December 2019), Pam (12th December 2019), petra (11th December 2019), Strat (10th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (11th December 2019), Tintin (11th December 2019), Valerie Villars (10th December 2019), Yoda (13th December 2019)

5. Link to Post #23
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,522 times in 20,692 posts

Don't forget "dudette" !!
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)

Boss, Chief, Buddy, Dude, Big Man, Little Brother, Bro, Luv, Darlin, Toots, Pal, Dear, Hun, Sweetie, Babe, Sweetheart, Ma'am, Miss, Mate, Sheg, Duck*, Hen**

* English
    ** Scottish (don't ask!)
    Each breath a gift...

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (10th December 2019), Gracy (11th December 2019), Mike (10th December 2019), Pam (12th December 2019), Strat (10th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (11th December 2019), Tintin (11th December 2019)

7. Link to Post #24
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

I think if anyone met Mike in real life, and wanted to go home with racoon eyes and a limp, ask him, "What's with the basketball hoop on your door little brother?"
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (10th December 2019), Gracy (11th December 2019), Mike (10th December 2019), Pam (12th December 2019), Tintin (11th December 2019)

9. Link to Post #25
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,469 times in 5,705 posts

* English
    ** Scottish (don't ask!)

The team has been working hard today

I may be forced to inquire about "hen" on the ask Bill thread lol
    Last edited by Mike; 10th December 2019 at 22:35.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (10th December 2019), Gracy (11th December 2019), happyuk (11th December 2019), onawah (11th December 2019), Pam (12th December 2019), Tintin (11th December 2019)

11. Link to Post #26
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    I think if anyone met Mike in real life, and wanted to go home with racoon eyes and a limp, ask him, "What's with the basketball hoop on your door little brother?"
    Literally laughed out loud here!

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (10th December 2019), Gracy (11th December 2019), onawah (11th December 2019), Pam (12th December 2019), petra (11th December 2019), Strat (10th December 2019), Tintin (11th December 2019)

13. Link to Post #27
    Wales Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,232 times in 941 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

* English
    ** Scottish (don't ask!)

It's what many if not most Scottish women informally call each other as in "you okay, hen?". But it's got to be in the right context. My female supervisor once misheard me and asked with amused incredulity "DID YOU JUST CALL ME HEN??!!" lol
    Last edited by happyuk; 11th December 2019 at 06:49.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to happyuk For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), Gracy (11th December 2019), Mike (11th December 2019), onawah (11th December 2019), Pam (12th December 2019), Tintin (11th December 2019)

15. Link to Post #28
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 47,638 times in 5,519 posts

Quote Posted by happyuk (here)

* English
    ** Scottish (don't ask!)

It's what many if not most Scottish women informally call each other as in "you okay, hen?". But it's got to be in the right context. My female supervisor once misheard me and asked with amused incredulity "DID YOU JUST CALL ME HEN??!!" lol
    I was once given the moniker, affectionately mind, of chicken lips and regularly addressed as such - I know that she did have a bit of a 'thing' for me though, so, it was a uniquely charming avatar

These days I am most often addressed as sticks on account of the size and width of my roll-up cigarettes. It warms my heart every time I hear it
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), Gracy (11th December 2019), Mike (11th December 2019), petra (11th December 2019)

17. Link to Post #29
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Little dude. We both looked at each other with mild disbelief and amusement. Jimmy was a little older than both of us then, but at about 5'5", considerably shorter than my friend. Little dude. It became a running joke for a while, and then it just crept into our lexicon in sort of a sarcastic way. I just spoke to him on the phone an hour ago. hey little dude, I said. What's up lil' guy? he replied.
    I was buying fresh salmon from this guy in the seafood department at Publix, and as he was handing the salmon to me, I'm pretty sure he said, "there ya go little brother."
    Hi Mike,
    I've been enjoying this thread a lot, and maybe part of that is because I'm little.

It's definitely weird that people have been calling you little when you're not! Perhaps that's a synchronicity of sorts (I think of those like clues).

The thing that talks to me using my own thoughts once asked me "What do you think you are?" (dumb question, I know) and something else replied "I'm only little". I'll never forget it - really creepy.

As for the 'pet names' stuff, the emotion seems to depend a lot on context. My thoughts used to call me 'Sweety' sometimes, and as creepy as that was, it was also kind of cute. That's also another reason I know it wasn't me - I don't call myself sweety (that would be dumb!). There was another one (maybe same one) that would call me 'Stupid', but instead of getting offended - I found that hilarious! I still do. I refer to that one as 'Idiot' (jokingly). (I'm Stupid, and He's Idiot - together, we make a Stupid Idiot)

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), Gracy (13th December 2019), Mike (12th December 2019), Tintin (17th December 2019)

19. Link to Post #30
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,124 times in 2,678 posts

Thought of another one. And this one, for some reason, realllyyy gets under my skin. You visit an acquaintance in their home for the first time, or vice versa and her kids, who you have never laid eyes on before, call you 'Auntie' This is usually followed with other weird behavior, like crawling all over you, uninvited. I am a very warm person but can't stand this kind of crap. If it's a toddler, no problem. But when your kid is six years old, they should know better and if not its up to the parent to have them back off a bit.
    I get what Mike means about some kind of weird manipulative undertone here. It feels like the kids are reflexively faking a close relationship because they want something from you...like a gift next time you visit? Have no idea if that's what is happening but it feels that way.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), Gracy (13th December 2019), Mike (12th December 2019), Pam (12th December 2019), petra (12th December 2019), Tintin (17th December 2019)

21. Link to Post #31
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 times in 1,413 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Thought of another one. And this one, for some reason, realllyyy gets under my skin. You visit an acquaintance in their home for the first time, or vice versa and her kids, who you have never laid eyes on before, call you 'Auntie' This is usually followed with other weird behavior, like crawling all over you, uninvited. I am a very warm person but can't stand this kind of crap. If it's a toddler, no problem. But when your kid is six years old, they should know better and if not its up to the parent to have them back off a bit.

I get what Mike means about some kind of weird manipulative undertone here. It feels like the kids are reflexively faking a close relationship because they want something from you...like a gift next time you visit? Have no idea if that's what is happening but it feels that way.
    I think it's mostly unintentional when it comes to kids - a kind of conditioned behavior. For example if a child has seen this tactic work, they'll try it again. They don't realize it's manipulative - they think they're being smart.

Parents need to wise up, for sure. I recall reading about a mother who told her kids "If you ask me if your friend can spend the night, and the friend is in the room while asking, the answer is an automatic NO". They explained to the child that this is to avoid manipulation.

One thing I absolutely cannot stand is when parents have their kids kiss their (adult) friends goodnight. That's SO uncomfortable for me, and I can tell it's uncomfortable for the child too. What the heck are those parents trying to show off? How obedient the child is? It's just baffling.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), Gracy (13th December 2019), Mike (12th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (12th December 2019), Tintin (17th December 2019)

23. Link to Post #32
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,678 times in 3,332 posts

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    That kind of thing happens when the parents coach them to say it, believing that you will be honored to be called Auntie by their little darlings...

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), Gracy (13th December 2019), Mike (16th December 2019), Tintin (17th December 2019)

25. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

I read most of this tread and it seems my least favorite hasn't been mentioned. "Hey, what's up Big Guy"? Or the abbreviated version, Guy. "sup Guy"? Does it get any more generic than Guy?

There is a grocery clerk that hits me with more Darlings, Honeys, and Loves than I can bear before paying and escaping. They just flow out of her mouth like molten insincerity. And I can't decide which inevitable question I despise worse. "Did you find everything you're looking for"? or when purchasing a cold drink, "Did you want me to leave this out"? Yes, leave it out and I'll try to carry it under my arm pit, while struggling with 3 bags in each hand, and I'll ask a stranger to get my keys out of my pocket!

Oh, and thanks Slim for such a fun thread.
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), Mike (16th December 2019), Tintin (17th December 2019)

27. Link to Post #34
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)
    I read most of this tread and it seems my least favorite hasn't been mentioned. "Hey, what's up Big Guy"? Or the abbreviated version, Guy. "sup Guy"? Does it get any more generic than Guy?

There is a grocery clerk that hits me with more Darlings, Honeys, and Loves than I can bear before paying and escaping. They just flow out of her mouth like molten insincerity. And I can't decide which inevitable question I despise worse. "Did you find everything you're looking for"? or when purchasing a cold drink, "Did you want me to leave this out"? Yes, leave it out and I'll try to carry it under my arm pit, while struggling with 3 bags in each hand, and I'll ask a stranger to get my keys out of my pocket!

Oh, and thanks Slim for such a fun thread.

Molten insincerity Slim liked that one.

Omg, yeah those automated questions bug me too.

What really gives the autopilot away though is the "have a good day" they'll offer me at 9 in the evening.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), Bill Ryan (16th December 2019), conk (17th December 2019), Tintin (17th December 2019)

29. Link to Post #35
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,309 times in 1,825 posts

I had to hold back laughing today when I went to Subway and the kid working there asked me, "What can I get for you boss man?" You may be a nerd when forum threads are creeping into your mind in real life situations.

Since everyone can identify with whatever they want nowadays, I hereby demand that I must be referred to as 'liege.'
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Anka (19th December 2019), conk (18th December 2019), Mike (17th December 2019), Tintin (18th December 2019)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2