+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Weird ‘Vanishing Stars’ Could Potentially Be Aliens, Study Claims

1. Link to Post #1
    England Avalon Member Did You See Them's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,876 times in 1,034 posts

Default Weird ‘Vanishing Stars’ Could Potentially Be Aliens, Study Claims

"Weird ‘Vanishing Stars’ Could Potentially Be Aliens, Study Claims"

comparative analysis of historical and contemporary astronomical data has resulted in the discovery of approximately 100 star-like objects that unexpectedly vanished. These strange occurrences are likely natural, but scientists say alien technology is a remote possibility.

They start off as dim red dots in the night sky. But then they start to get brighter – anywhere from several to thousands of times brighter. And then they disappear, vanishing from sight in typically less than an hour.

But what are they?

New research published in the Astronomical Journal calls them “red transients,” of which roughly 100 have been chronicled by the authors, a team led by Beatriz Villarroel from Stockholm University and the Institute of Astrophysics of Canarias in Spain. More colloquially, they’re referred to as “vanishing stars,” and they’re baffling scientists.

The red transients were detected thanks to Vanishing & Appearing Sources during a Century of Observations (VASCO) — a project that’s living up to its name. Established in 2017, VASCO researchers are hunting for objects outside of Earth’s immediate area that have mysteriously disappeared. As the authors note in the study:

"Unless a star collapses directly into a black hole, there is no known physical process by which it could physically vanish. If such examples exist this makes it interesting for searches for new exotic phenomena or even signs of technologically advanced civilisations."

For the latest research, Villarroel and her colleagues looked at archival astronomical data collected during the previous century, particularly data found in the U.S. Naval Observatory Catalogue (USNO). This old data was then compared to modern celestial catalogues, including the recently concluded Pan-STARRS Data Release-1 (DR1).

From a pool of 600 million objects, the scientists found 151,193 that weren’t represented in the modern catalogues. To date, Villarroel and her colleagues have only had a chance to analyse 23,667 of these anomalous objects, or just 15.7 per cent. Taking this preliminary sample set aside and studying them closer, the researchers found most of them to be “artefacts of various sorts,” wrote the authors, such as smudges on lenses and other visual defects.

But roughly 100 of these objects could not easily be explained away, warranting their designation as red transients. These objects tended to be very red and made distinguishing movements across the field of view.

More here:

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/12/we...-study-claims/

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Did You See Them For This Post:

Agape (19th December 2019), aoibhghaire (18th December 2019), Craig (18th December 2019), DeDukshyn (19th December 2019), earthdreamer (19th December 2019), EFO (18th December 2019), ExomatrixTV (18th December 2019), Forest Denizen (18th December 2019), Frank V (18th December 2019), Franny (19th December 2019), Islander12 (18th December 2019), Mark (Star Mariner) (19th December 2019), raregem (18th December 2019), rgray222 (19th December 2019), Sadieblue (19th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (19th December 2019), sunwings (19th December 2019), toppy (18th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

Default Re: Weird ‘Vanishing Stars’ Could Potentially Be Aliens, Study Claims

I watched a star vanish from my very eyes once. It was big, fairly bright and red - it caught my attention, but really just looked like a star. My attention became fixed on this one star for several minutes ... I just stared at it with a blank mind, lying on my back looking up. Then it got really bright for a bout two seconds that "poof!" it was gone.

I always thought that was odd ... generally, stars aren't supposed to do that. I suppose it could have legitimately been a star collapsing, but what are the chances of me seeing that, and that it happens in two seconds?
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Agape (19th December 2019), earthdreamer (19th December 2019), Frank V (19th December 2019), Franny (19th December 2019), Sadieblue (19th December 2019), Sue (Ayt) (19th December 2019), sunwings (19th December 2019)

+ Reply to Thread