Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,168 times in 10,101 posts

Default Re: Celebrity Crushes

Poison Ivy

Can your taco do the whole enchilada?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

justntime2learn (30th December 2019), Mercedes (30th December 2019), Mike (29th December 2019), onawah (29th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019)

3. Link to Post #42
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,307 times in 1,825 posts

Quote Posted by enfoldedblue (here)
    Not sure how to post a pic...I tried....but embarassed to say after so many years...i still can't do it.
    It's simple once you have it figured out. I'll use an example from my list, Amy Jo Johnson aka The Pink Ranger.

First, find the image you want. Then when you find it, right click the image then click 'Copy Image Location.' Next, when you go to post, click on the 'Insert Image' icon (it's to the right of the envelope icon). You'll then see a small pop up which asks to insert the URL of your image. Then right click and press paste (or ctrl + v).

It's not always foolproof, sometimes it still wont work and sometimes the image is way too large, so some tinkering may be involved. In general though it works fairly well. If you need any help then let me know.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th December 2019), enfoldedblue (29th December 2019), Forest Denizen (29th December 2019), Gracy (29th December 2019), Mercedes (30th December 2019), Mike (29th December 2019), onawah (30th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019)

5. Link to Post #43
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,140 times in 1,005 posts

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    Quote Posted by enfoldedblue (here)
    Not sure how to post a pic...I tried....but embarassed to say after so many years...i still can't do it.
    It's simple once you have it figured out. I'll use an example from my list, Amy Jo Johnson aka The Pink Ranger.

First, find the image you want. Then when you find it, right click the image then click 'Copy Image Location.' Next, when you go to post, click on the 'Insert Image' icon (it's to the right of the envelope icon). You'll then see a small pop up which asks to insert the URL of your image. Then right click and press paste (or ctrl + v).

It's not always foolproof, sometimes it still wont work and sometimes the image is way too large, so some tinkering may be involved. In general though it works fairly well. If you need any help then let me know.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to enfoldedblue For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th December 2019), Forest Denizen (29th December 2019), Mercedes (30th December 2019), Mike (30th December 2019), onawah (30th December 2019), Strat (29th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019)

7. Link to Post #44
    United States Moderator Sue (Ayt)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,530 times in 2,552 posts

Silly thread! LOL

I admit to having a crush on Braveheart. Not Mel Gibson per se, but Braveheart. haha
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Braveheart.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	42193

I always kind of crushed Kris Kristofferson, too. Guess I'm drawn to the rugged type.

(edit to add - Bill's kind of cute, too! Especially with his hat. )
    Last edited by Sue (Ayt); 30th December 2019 at 05:07.
    "We're all bozos on this bus"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sue (Ayt) For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th December 2019), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Mike (30th December 2019), onawah (30th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019)

9. Link to Post #45
    On Sabbatical
    Language
    None
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,828 times in 3,335 posts

When i was 12 and until 14 or so i had a terrible crush with Yulia Volkova. It hurt to know that she was way older than me, how dumb i was LMAO

She looks like when you suddenly scare a chicken and it runs all over the place while making a face like this ( i had terrible taste LOL )
    Tired

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mashika For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th December 2019), conk (2nd January 2020), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Mike (30th December 2019), onawah (30th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019)

11. Link to Post #46
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,307 times in 5,692 posts

I can't believe i forgot Zoe Saldana, from 'Guardians of the Galaxy' fame.

She hardly seems human. I like that about her.

She's so stunning that it hardly seems fair to everyone else:

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th December 2019), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Mashika (30th December 2019), onawah (30th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019)

13. Link to Post #47
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 46,600 times in 5,413 posts

Funny thing Mike is, that she crossed my mind too. I preferred her in Colombiana

Shame on me as I had also forgotten to mention the following:

Ludivine Sagnier - most famously for her performance in Swimming Pool but perhaps more splendidly, her excellent supporting role in one of the finest movies you'll likely ever see: Mesrine

Saoirse (pron. Ser-sha) Ronan - first came to prominence in the film Hanna
    Last edited by Tintin; 30th December 2019 at 10:34.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

Bluegreen (30th December 2019), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Mike (30th December 2019)

15. Link to Post #48
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,168 times in 10,101 posts

The age old question: Ginger or Mary Ann?

No contest!

Dawn Wells as Mary Ann

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Ivanhoe (30th December 2019), Kryztian (3rd January 2020), Mike (30th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019)

17. Link to Post #49
    United States Avalon Member funkpunk46's Avatar
    Thanks

Lizzo
    Megan Thee Stallion
    John Frusciante
    Harry Styles

Mostly I think of celebrities as imaginary people, but I'm grateful for the eye candy.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to funkpunk46 For This Post:

Bluegreen (31st December 2019), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Mike (30th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019), wondering (2nd January 2020)

19. Link to Post #50
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Well!! I thought I was not going to post my shamefull tthoughts of my tv star crushes, but I caved!! Soo these two men are and have been my main crushes, each on his own time. This is fun, I don't know why but it is. Clint Walker and Tom Selleck
    Attached Images    

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

Bluegreen (31st December 2019), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Gracy (2nd January 2020), Mike (30th December 2019), Tintin (30th December 2019), wondering (2nd January 2020)

21. Link to Post #51
    United States Avalon Member Dennis Leahy's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 48,583 times in 5,817 posts

All right, ALL RIGHT! You got me, Mike.

David Attenborough, my sapiosexual man-crush.

Name:	DavidAttenborough.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	42219

p.s. Runners-up:

Wade Frazier and Bill Ryan
    Name:  WadeFrazier.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  46.6 KB
    Wade

Name:	BillRyan.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	42221
    Bill

Thank you - to all 3 of you - for what you have done and are still doing to open people's eyes to reality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DavidAttenborough.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	42218  
    Last edited by Dennis Leahy; 2nd January 2020 at 07:15.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Leahy For This Post:

Bluegreen (2nd January 2020), Forest Denizen (2nd January 2020), Kryztian (3rd January 2020), Mashika (3rd January 2020), Mercedes (6th January 2020), Mike (3rd January 2020), Sue (Ayt) (2nd January 2020), Tintin (2nd January 2020), wondering (2nd January 2020)

23. Link to Post #52
    United States Avalon Member conk's Avatar
    Language
    Southern English
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,145 times in 2,998 posts

Gal Gadot is absolutely mesmerizing! Totally enchanting. She can be sultry and hot or the pretty girl next door. Plus, she can put on bizarre costumes and kick villain butts!
    The quantum field responds not to what we want; but to who we are being. Dr. Joe Dispenza

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to conk For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd January 2020), Forest Denizen (3rd January 2020), Mashika (3rd January 2020), Mercedes (6th January 2020), Mike (3rd January 2020), wondering (6th January 2020)

25. Link to Post #53
    Thanks

Denno! I knew you would eventually show up. I had faith in you. You have deeply disturbed both Wade and Bill, but I'm still pleased you arrived

I didn't quite know what I was doing when I started this thread. I knew it could go one of several ways. Part of me didn't expect anyone to admit to celebrity crushes at all, and I imagined myself writing something long and boring about reverse snobbery, and the mental science behind all that.

But you guys have surprised me a little.

There are many reasons we have celebrity crushes. And they're not all silly or superficial. Celebrity admiration and celebrity worship are 2 totally different things.

The word "hierarchy" has become a sort of taboo word here. And while it's true that hierarchies can be tyrannical and prone to corruption, many if not most aren't. A valid hierarchy is based on competence, not power. It's way too easy to see someone above you in any given hierarchy and assume the worst about them, that they're undeserving, privileged, so forth. It makes us feel better about ourselves and justifies our laziness to our nagging conscience...

...but becoming a working actor, for example - even a mildly successful one- is almost all about total dedication and discipline. Even if your last name is Eastwood! Check out Joe Rogan's podcast with Scott Eastwood. Even for him, the son of a legend, the chances of making it in hollywood are remarkably slim. A famous last name might get you in the door, but then you gotta bring the goods if you want a chance at a role.

We admire celebrities because they took an enormous risk early on to make their dream manifest, whether it's as musician, actor, writer etc. They didn't take that safe, soft path. Its the hero archetype. They had the courage to do what all of us wish we had the courage to do. We slag them, tear then down, and accuse them of being reptile possessed lunatics. Why? Because it's much easier to indulge fantasy than it is to acknowledge our deficiencies in courage and fortitude.

Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger for example. It's become hip to poke fun at him. But just consider his background for a moment. He came from a small Austrian town, made it to America, became a body building champion, became a movie star despite his thick accent, married into our royalty, and then became governor of California,...despite having zero political experience. That's hugely impressive. And more than you or I will accomplish in our next 20 lives, most likely.

And it's very ok to admire someone's physical appearance. It recent years this has become sour grapes for our post moderny types who feel perpetually threatened and insecure and feel emotional safety is some kind of right. The fact of the matter is, people that look good have almost all put in the work to look good. We all admire that, whether we acknowledge it internally or not. It's self respect that has propelled them....and sure, maybe some vanity. But vanity in doses is pretty healthy...

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Kryztian (6th January 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (3rd January 2020), Mercedes (6th January 2020), onawah (7th May 2021), wondering (6th January 2020)

27. Link to Post #54
    Thanks

Quote Posted by conk (here)

Gal Gadot is absolutely mesmerizing! Totally enchanting. She can be sultry and hot or the pretty girl next door. Plus, she can put on bizarre costumes and kick villain butts!
    She's just incredibly lovely. Not loudly lovely, not purposefully cutesy, not falsely gushy. Just earnest and quietly and genuinely lovely

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

conk (3rd January 2020), onawah (7th May 2021), wondering (6th January 2020)

29. Link to Post #55
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,496 times in 4,310 posts

Well, you got me too Mike.

It's all in the eye of the beholder isn't it, and for me there are a potential million to choose from, but there is one standing high above many others, one of the greatest beauties human genetics ever produced:

Sophia Loren, in her heyday. In looking for a modern equivalent, Sophia Vergara.

As to these 'bro crushes'. Is this different to admiring another man? I admire many men, but I don't have crushes on them. Can straight men have crushes on other men? It's never entered my head - certainly no judgement here, just asking the question.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Bluegreen (3rd January 2020), Mercedes (6th January 2020), Mike (3rd January 2020), onawah (7th May 2021), wondering (6th January 2020)

31. Link to Post #56
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Star Mariner (here)
    Well, you got me too Mike.

It's all in the eye of the beholder isn't it, and for me there are a potential million to choose from, but there is one standing high above many others, one of the greatest beauties human genetics ever produced:

Sophia Loren, in her heyday. In looking for a modern equivalent, Sophia Vergara.

As to these 'bro crushes'. Is this different to admiring another man? I admire many men, but I don't have crushes on them. Can straight men have crushes on other men? It's never entered my head - certainly no judgement here, just asking the question.

Yeah, the "man crush" is merely admiration; not romantical i was just playfully teasing Dennis there.

Man crush, bro crush...same idea. Glad we cleared that up.

And now I'll offer you a firm, manly handshake (p.s. how about those giants?)

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Mark (Star Mariner) (3rd January 2020), Mercedes (6th January 2020), onawah (7th May 2021), wondering (6th January 2020)

33. Link to Post #57
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,496 times in 4,310 posts

Ah thanks, gotcha loud and clear.

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

And now I'll offer you a firm, manly handshake (p.s. how about those giants?)
    Giants suck. (I'm a through and through JETS man!)
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

Mercedes (6th January 2020), Mike (3rd January 2020), onawah (7th May 2021), wondering (6th January 2020)

35. Link to Post #58
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,089 times in 20,639 posts

You are in good celebrity company, Mike. In Thor Ragnarok, Thor goes on about how he admired the Valkyries and wanted to be one when he was a boy (until he found out they were all women...)

Nat when i was a little boy i would watch the wonder woman series starring lynda carter. and i was f#cking enchanted. my mother still makes fun of me. i was so drunk with awe and wonder that i'd sit there almost catatonically, my face mere inches from the tv screen. her beauty and grace practically hypnotized me. it was lynda, of course, but also the uniform..and all it's not so vaguely implied sexuality.

as an adult (at least on paper) my wonder woman thing still persists. Gal Gadot has this unique beauty that is at once otherworldly and accessible.

adding her to my list.
    Last edited by onawah; 6th January 2020 at 03:49.
    Each breath a gift...

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Mercedes (6th January 2020), Mike (6th January 2020), wondering (6th January 2020)

37. Link to Post #59
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Nat when i was a little boy i would watch the wonder woman series starring lynda carter. and i was f#cking enchanted. my mother still makes fun of me. i was so drunk with awe and wonder that i'd sit there almost catatonically, my face mere inches from the tv screen. her beauty and grace practically hypnotized me. it was lynda, of course, but also the uniform..and all it's not so vaguely implied sexuality.

as an adult (at least on paper) my wonder woman thing still persists. Gal Gadot has this unique beauty that is at once otherworldly and accessible.

adding her to my list.
    Not a sis crush but just plain admiration for her beauty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lynda-Carter-is-set-to-reprise-her-role-as-Wonder-Woman-758x396.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	42235  

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

Bluegreen (8th January 2020), Mike (6th January 2020), onawah (7th May 2021), wondering (6th January 2020)

39. Link to Post #60
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 116,089 times in 20,639 posts

I thought Kim Novak was just gorgeous and loved her in Bell, Book and Candle (one of my favorite all-time movies), Vertigo and Picnic.
    I happened to come across the following (badly edited interview) on youtube today and felt happy for her that she got out of Hollyweird when she did and found happiness with a veterinarian, and a healthy outdoor life.
    She is an animal lover and I can totally understand how she found healing from caring for and interacting animals.
    She's a painter now at age 87 ( she still looks remarkably good even with the botched face injections) and had the courage to speak out about Trump and yet another of his very rude and disrespectful remarks directed at a woman ( in this case, Kim herself, when she appeared on the Academy Awards in 2014).
    Last edited by onawah; 13th January 2020 at 05:15.
    Each breath a gift...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast