+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whitley Strieber

1. Link to Post #1
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

Default Whitley Strieber

I was wondering if I could solicit the good people of Project Avalon for their opinion of Whitley Strieber.

I was wondering too does anyone think it significant that he is seemingly ignored by UFOlogy at large?

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ashva For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (6th January 2020), Bill Ryan (5th January 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (5th January 2020), Chester (5th January 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th January 2020), Meryl (7th January 2020), mountain_jim (6th January 2020), Peter UK (5th January 2020), snoman (5th January 2020), toppy (6th January 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 459,209 times in 32,905 posts

Default Re: Whitley Strieber

Quote Posted by ashva (here)
    I was wondering if I could solicit the good people of Project Avalon for their opinion of Whitley Strieber.

I was wondering too does anyone think it significant that he is seemingly ignored by UFOlogy at large?
    Many thanks, and I'll kick off: coincidentally, I was listening to a radio interview of his just half an hour ago, but I only made the first 20 mins before I baled out.

A couple of bulletpoints that might (or might not!) be helpful. Of course, they're purely subjective.
    • Caveat: I don't know him at all. I spoke with him once at a conference for about a couple of minutes. We've never corresponded.
    • More than other researchers or presenters, he showcases and almost always promotes his own work and books. That's no hanging offense, but he does seem to do that more than most, to the degree that I personally find it a little irritating. He does seem very preoccupied with his own experiences, and almost always references them somehow in his interviews. Again, that can be understood, but it always seems to be there.
    • So in a way, it seems to me he's processing his own experiences, in all he does. That sets him aside from most other researchers, who may actually be more balanced inasmuch as they have no personal axe to grind or personal unknowns to explain. (Richard Dolan, who openly admits to not having had any significant experiences of his own, may be a good example. In other fields, David Jacobs and David Paulides are similar.)
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 5th January 2020 at 21:18.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (6th January 2020), ByTheNorthernSea (5th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), Delight (5th January 2020), Did You See Them (5th January 2020), enigma3 (7th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (6th January 2020), Mark (6th January 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (6th January 2020), Meryl (7th January 2020), mountain_jim (6th January 2020), Peter UK (5th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2020), toppy (6th January 2020), Wansen (6th January 2020), wnlight (6th January 2020), Yoda (6th January 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,101 times in 21,068 posts

Lightbulb Re: Whitley Strieber

Communion by Whitley Strieber

A New Vision of the Unexplained, Part One with Whitley Strieber:

Alien Abductions on Larry King CNN - Whitley Strieber - Part 1:

Alien Abductions on Larry King CNN - Whitley Strieber - Part 2:
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 5th January 2020 at 21:22.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (6th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (5th January 2020), Bill Ryan (5th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), mountain_jim (6th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), toppy (6th January 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,379 times in 5,725 posts

Quote Posted by ashva (here)

(From Bill):
    A couple of bulletpoints that might (or might not!) be helpful. Of course, they're purely subjective.
    Caveat: I don't know him at all. I spoke with him once at a conference for about a couple of minutes. We've never corresponded.
    More than other researchers or presenters, he showcases and almost always promotes his own work and books. That's no hanging offense, but he does seem to do that more than most, to the degree that I personally find it a little irritating. He does seem very preoccupied with his own experiences, and almost always references them somehow in his interviews. Again, that can be understood, but it always seems to be there.
    So in a way, it seems to me he's processing his own experiences, in all he does. That sets him aside from most other researchers, who may actually be more balanced inasmuch as they have no personal axe to grind or personal unknowns to explain. (Richard Dolan, who openly admits to not having had any significant experiences of his own, may be a good example. In another fields, David Jacobs and David Paulides are similar.)
    Yes, he does seem like he is processing his own experience and subjective. It may seem irritating. He may seem preoccupied. The experiences he has had are echoed by others and the realm of mysterious anomalies IMO is near universal though many won't admit it (or would not at least when it threatens their life and livelihoods). It is interesting to me that "science" excludes subjective experience even if thousands of "reports" are the same. One just cannot depend on OFFICIAL and established objectivity (as verified by ACCEPTED double blind study) as the best gauge of truth IMO. Look at how many established "studies" cannot be replicated.

For instance in the vaccine hesitant community, MOST people are oblivious to even questioning the "rationality" of the program until they have a subjective vaccine reaction (of self, friends, family) and are then IGNORED by the scientific community. In fact, there is a concerted effort to gaslight the experience of negative effects. This is just an exaample of the "status quo" that is determined to be reality.

Another is the way that despite numerous video and eyewitness accounts of such incidents as 9/11, an official and authoritative narrative is continuously promoted and believed even long after further investigation which does lend "scientific" credence.

The truth of reality may well be much stranger than most will allow themselves to recall. Streiber has been a champion of contact (with various phenomenon) experience.

Is there some commonality concerning experiencers (of many paranormal kinds) who become comfortable with investigating FROM the experience and the ones who are "objective" and deny any possible relevance of the "subjective" as a investigatory tool. I think it it may be about a level of comfort with trust in one's own perception. It is VERY easy to persuade people to deny their own perceptions unless one has cultivated this inner assuarance IMO.

I have had experiences that I cannot explain (not like his or others so I can even catalog to established lists) which are not answerable by any "objective" measure. I trust that I was not "just imagining them". Also one cannot recall what is not remembered. IMO humans are very good at ignoring/forgetting what does not fit with "beliefs". I think people like Whitley Streiber are "reliable" about their own personal investigation. He is helpful IMO at pushing the boundaries concerning our own! YES The world is more strange than most will allow to be so and we are fenced by our beliefs. IMO the "behind the veil" is waiting to reveal itself MORE truly when we can be able to perceive because we have started opening up to subjectivity as a tool.
    Last edited by Delight; 5th January 2020 at 21:57.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (6th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (5th January 2020), Bill Ryan (5th January 2020), Chester (6th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), graciousb (6th January 2020), Meryl (7th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), toppy (6th January 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,206 times in 5,691 posts

I don't mind he shares his journey of processing. Of course, maybe that's because I have done the same... much of it on this forum. From the POV of my small circle of loved ones, they are glad I have done said "processing."

It never ends... still doing more. Less publicly, more inwardly. Yes, Delight... the questions are getting more profound. It was just a few days ago I realized that. Then read the same from you, today, on a post of yours here.
    Last edited by Chester; 6th January 2020 at 02:22.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

AndrejPeĉënkin (6th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (6th January 2020), Bill Ryan (6th January 2020), ChristianSky (6th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), Delight (6th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2020), toppy (6th January 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member graciousb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 times in 149 posts

I do know him somewhat and can say my intuition says he is 100% sincere. He's transparent with his experiences, and has given into them instead of living in fear and dread. Considering what he's been through, since childhood (military /intelligence stuff as family is deep in that world), it amazes me he's not in a loony bin. I could never maintain my sanity having gone through what he has. Then being the object of national ridicule when he ''comes out''. However I think that experienced inured him to further fear of shame and he just embraces the weirdness and mystery now. What he goes through is on an almost constant basis, and often involves bystanders. So it's understandable to be somewhat absorbed in that, it's almost like when you're sick or injured, or in a crisis situation, and those conditions can tend to make us all self centered as it takes a lot just to get through life.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to graciousb For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th January 2020), Delight (6th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    United States Avalon Member Ba-ba-Ra's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,315 times in 1,567 posts

My Perspective:

Strieber's first 2 books on ET's (Communion & Transformation) brought the subject main stream and gave many others the courage to come forward and begin a dialogue.

I did learn something from each of his books. Most importantly I realized "Hey, I'm not the only one"

Yes, he processes, but how else does one find meaning. There are some great researchers out there, but no matter how well you research, imo, it doesn't compare to an actual experience. Although reading both researcher and those who have experienced will give you a much broader perspective.

I do feel he often comes from a place of fear, so if you are prone to be fearful, his books might exacerbate that emotion in you.

The way I evaluate whether someone is worth my time is: Have I learned something. I definitely have learned some things from Strieber.

Here is a smichen of what I gleaned from his book "The Key": Note: I could probably have learned these same things from other sources, but I didn't. I got them from WS. No one has a patent on truth, so it's out there for any to access. Seems like I read this book in the late 90's or early 2000's. Truth grows, as we grow.

*The part of your brain that enables you to utilize electrons without drawing them into the particulate state was turned off. You became time-bound. You went to sleep, sinking into the time stream, which is where you remain trapped.

*Over the last age, that of Pisces, the elemental body was changed by the process of worshipping God. The body is not the same as it was two thousand years ago. Now the receptacle is larger. Now each of you can contain all of the universe. That was not true then. Now this is a species of sacred beings. But you are babies and still ignorant of your powers. This is the age of God within.

*The Zodiac is a calendar which we devised to measure your development.

*Christianity is the active side of the triad, Islam the passive, Buddhism the reconciling. Christianity seeks God, Islam surrenders to God, Buddhism finds God.

*A part of the electromagnetic field that fills the nervous system rests a few centimeters above the skin, outside of the body. This field is an organ just like the heart or brain. It is in quantum superposition, the electrons effectively everywhere in the universe and nowhere specific. It may be imprinted by information from anywhere and any time. With it, you may see other worlds, you may see the past and the future, you may haunt God.
    Blessed are the cracked, for they are the ones who let in the light!

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ba-ba-Ra For This Post:

Bill Ryan (6th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), Delight (6th January 2020), Mark (6th January 2020), Mike (6th January 2020), mountain_jim (7th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,469 times in 5,705 posts

to his credit, he has taken polygraph tests.

he also submitted to an epilepsy test, to rule that out as a source of his experiences.

it's all detailed here: https://www.unknowncountry.com/strie...ing-the-truth/

he also has several witnesses to high strangeness who have stayed in his cabin in upstate NY.

he has to get some credit for that.

but one can't help but be a little suspicious of a sci fi writer allegedly having ET contact. even if his experiences did actually occur, i imagine it would be a fight for him to not fill in the blanks with some dramatic fiction every now and then.

however, he was a successful writer before his alleged experiences, and wasn't desperate financially to my knowledge. he also had what appeared to be a very lovely wife (now deceased), who - had it all been nonsense - must have been a pretty good actor. she also claimed to have had some experiences along with Whitley.

and he has a son.. who also, along with Strieber's wife, had some very strange experiences (allegedly). if you're a family man, and you're going to build your entire life upon a lie, then you also force your family into a life of lies as well. it would take a very sick man to do that, and he doesn't appear to be that type of person, to me.

he's been to see the legendary Budd Hopkins, and was viewed as legitimate by him.

for what it's worth..
    Last edited by Mike; 6th January 2020 at 17:57.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (6th January 2020), Bill Ryan (6th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), Delight (6th January 2020), mountain_jim (7th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), Strat (7th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    English, Dutch, German, Limburgs
    Thanks
    Thanked 127,101 times in 21,068 posts

I am very wary/cautious by default if some one loves to write horror stories for a living ... filling millions of (young) peoples minds with horrific "suggestions" just for 'fun' ... Knowing that this can create (hypnotic?) templates who are poisoned (semi-possessed) with it.

Whitley Strieber may well have real experiences, but you have to admit that certain vibes attract similar vibes ... we all can co-create certain portals drawing in these (interdimensional) beings due to our own state of mind and/or state of being.

cheers,
    John Kuhles January, 6h 2020
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 6th January 2020 at 21:37.
    No need to follow anyone, only consider broadening (y)our horizon of possibilities ...

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (7th January 2020), Bill Ryan (6th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (6th January 2020), thepainterdoug (6th January 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member thepainterdoug's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,237 times in 3,167 posts

I don't know him at all. And I don't know why, but something doesn't sit right with him for me. And I cant put my finger on it.

its intuitive, a hunch or whatever, but I don't listen to his videos or anything. Perhaps an air of above it all? mainly in it for himself ? I really don't know and just my opinion

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thepainterdoug For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (7th January 2020), Bill Ryan (6th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), jkj777 (6th January 2020), Mike (6th January 2020), Peter UK (6th January 2020), sunflower (6th January 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,469 times in 5,705 posts

Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)
    I don't know him at all. And I don't know why, but something doesn't sit right with him for me. And I cant put my finger on it.

its intuitive, a hunch or whatever, but I don't listen to his videos or anything. Perhaps an air of above it all? mainly in it for himself ? I really don't know and just my opinion

I know why you'd say that Doug. I get it.

I view Strieber as quirky, eccentric, and somewhat pompous. In the early days he appeared to be kind of emotionally frazzled and prone to the occasional tantrum. I sense some instability as well, if you don't mind me going all jedi on you.

But I think those would be expected attributes of a traumatized contactee.

So for me, it's hard to separate his personality from his experiences. In other words, it's hard for me to tell if his personality affirms his alleged experiences or if it casts doubt on them. It can be viewed 2 ways I think
    Last edited by Mike; 6th January 2020 at 22:43.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (7th January 2020), Bill Ryan (6th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (7th January 2020), James (7th January 2020), sunflower (6th January 2020), thepainterdoug (7th January 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,379 times in 5,725 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    Quote Posted by thepainterdoug (here)

I know why you'd say that Doug. I get it.

I view Strieber as quirky, eccentric, and somewhat pompous. In the early days he appeared to be kind of emotionally frazzled and prone to the occasional tantrum. I sense some instability as well, if you don't mind me going all jedi on you.

But I think those would be expected attributes of a traumatized contactee.

So for me, it's hard to separate his personality from his experiences. In other words, it's hard for me to tell if his personality affirms his alleged experiences or if it casts doubt on them. It can be viewed 2 ways I think
    I never met him and I have not read his horror material. In the year after his book Communion came out, a hard cover copy was actually put out for sale at the checkout in the local Grocery Store of all places. It attracted my husband's attention and he bought it. It was not attractive to me and I never read it until sometime later. But I wondered about Greg? His family was weird in a dark way and so had been my own family. It later became a very tragic story including my husband's early death form a brain tumor.

My first interest in Streiber was much later and I am going to stand here as an apologist not for him necessarily, but definitely for the process of "exhuming" darkness that has been hidden away (for fear of..... ). IMO he seems to be processing material that will either be examined and surfaced and released or will always keep us circling around itself. This can be managed in so many ways but IMO always has to be done on one's own or will return. IMO whatever one calls "shadow work" is bringing the monstrous (in our psyches) to the love it has been denied. If we deny it is within us, IMO it will fester.

Religion seems to believe (in its self perpetuating way) that our sins may be expunged by coins and others' priestly interventions are necessary. Nope IMO and moreover we HAVE to do it with God on our own and it becomes forgiving. Also when we allow forgiveness, it has to come though our hearts AND mind. IMO that stopped up heart block that so many describe healing comes when we allow love in after we accept mentally that we are deserving. IMO many may not have much "horror" and others more than enough for everyone but the amount is not the point IMO.

So, I think Whitley is part of something BIG about the shadow and the light and being outstandingly visible so we can feel it is OK to "go there".
    Last edited by Delight; 7th January 2020 at 01:14.

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (7th January 2020), Bill Ryan (7th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (7th January 2020), Mike (7th January 2020), thepainterdoug (7th January 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member James's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 times in 174 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)
    It's interesting to note how his personality and his experiences both are so similar. I'd use the same adjectives to describe Whitley as I would the sum of his experiences.

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to James For This Post:

Ba-ba-Ra (7th January 2020), DeeMetrios (12th January 2020), Mike (7th January 2020), Strat (7th January 2020), thepainterdoug (7th January 2020)

+ Reply to Thread