Thread: Ricky Gervais Takes No Prisoners At Golden Globes

1. Link to Post #21
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Default Re: Ricky Gervais Takes No Prisoners At Golden Globes

That was great, finally got around to watching it!

The more I've watched Joe Rogan and his comedian friends discussing it, the history and such, the more I appreciate what a fine art it really is, and how badly it's needed. Especially the ones that just don't give a f##k and can walk that tightrope like Mike alluded to.

If worse ever comes to worse, stand up comedy will likely be the last great bastion of free speech. Maybe even the last great hope.

2. Link to Post #22
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,312 times in 5,692 posts

"this past year we saw James corden play a fat pussy....and he was also in the movie Cats."

That was a great joke. No fat on it at all. I think half the audience missed it

And I appreciated his Leo DiCaprio joke too. Was great! I don't have any issue with older men dating younger women or older women dating younger men; my issue with Dicaprio is that he will *only exclusively date 22 year old supermodels*. There's something very bizarre if not pathological about that.

He was smiling and laughing outwardly but pretty uncomfortable inwardly. It was clear! He wanted the ground to swallow him up, im telling you.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (8th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), Chester (9th January 2020), Frank V (9th January 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th January 2020), onawah (9th January 2020), T Smith (9th January 2020), Valerie Villars (9th January 2020)

4. Link to Post #23
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,062 times in 2,419 posts

Quote Posted by Gracy May (here)

The more I've watched Joe Rogan and his comedian friends discussing it, the history and such, the more I appreciate what a fine art it really is, and how badly it's needed. Especially the ones that just don't give a f##k and can walk that tightrope like Mike alluded to.

If worse ever comes to worse, stand up comedy will likely be the last great bastion of free speech. Maybe even the last great hope.
    If so, would the problem of the State (and others) attacking and limiting free speech be solved by each of us holding ourselves out as stand up comics? Or would the State determine who is and who is not a stand up comic? He asks rhetorically.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), Chester (9th January 2020), ClearWater (9th January 2020), Frank V (9th January 2020), Gracy (9th January 2020), onawah (9th January 2020)

6. Link to Post #24
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,414 times in 3,425 posts

Send in the clowns ...

From one of the first people to detect the of the Corey Goode story.
    Last edited by Kryztian; 9th January 2020 at 00:44.

7. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Kryztian For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), Bluegreen (9th January 2020), Chester (9th January 2020), ClearWater (9th January 2020), Earth Angel (14th January 2020), Frank V (9th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), onawah (9th January 2020), Soda (9th January 2020), Stealthy Monk (10th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020), Valerie Villars (9th January 2020)

8. Link to Post #25
    United States Unsubscribed
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,955 times in 1,944 posts

Quote Posted by Satori (here)

If so, would the problem of the State (and others) attacking and limiting free speech be solved by each of us holding ourselves out as stand up comics? Or would the State determine who is and who is not a stand up comic? He asks rhetorically.
    Good question Satori!

Personally, I might see such a scenario as most average working class people are living lives of quiet desperation, scared stiff of losing their dead end paycheck to paycheck job by rocking the boat, and operating on auto pilot from their daily indoctrinations courtesy the evening news.

Maybe the "don't give a f##k" stand up comic they come across online somewhere, re-ignites that long lost spark of individuality and rebellion that many of us are born with. Before it is summarily squashed....

9. Link to Post #26
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

Good question Satori!

Personally, I might see such a scenario as most average working class people are living lives of quiet desperation, scared stiff of losing their dead end paycheck to paycheck job by rocking the boat, and operating on auto pilot from their daily indoctrinations courtesy the evening news.

Maybe the "don't give a f##k" stand up comic they come across online somewhere, re-ignites that long lost spark of individuality and rebellion that many of us are born with. Before it is summarily squashed....
    As with everything, this kind of rhetoric ─ meaning: what Ricky Gervais did ─ is merely a tool, and a tool can always be used for the better or for worse. The caricature of a jester who exposes the dirt on others has for instance been (ab)used by Nigel Farage every time he addressed the European Commission.

As someone who lives within the European Union and who agrees with the concept of a united Europe but not with the way the EU is being run, I personally took pleasure in the veiled and not-so-veiled insults that Farage used to hurtle at former EU president Herman Van Rompuy, who had abandoned his position as (unelected) Belgian Federal Prime Minister in order to become President of the European Union as a nice pre-retirement move in his political career.

Yet, Nigel Farage was more than simply a court jester. He is a British-nationalist and a xenophobe, and he was crucial in orchestrating the apparent grassroots decision of the British people to leave the European Union, exactly because he used this kind of court-jester-like dark humor as a populist tool. If one understands that populism is in itself not the support for a grassroots movement but rather the hijacking thereof, then it is easy enough to see how there could be a very dark side to being a court jester ─ as Mike already illustrated by pointing out that the medieval court jester's job was really to expose the dirt on the King's associates.

The bottom line is that what Ricky Gervais did ─ which in his case was of course closer in significance to the role of the medieval court jesters than to what people like Nigel Farage are doing ─ is a double-sided blade. It can be used for exposing hypocrisy, but it can also be used for mass manipulation, exactly because humor is generally appreciated by everyone, and because as designated underdogs, court jesters tend to easily amass sympathy from the public, and therefore hold a lot of sway. And buyer beware if the court jester happens to be a narcissist in disguise ─ as many of them tend to be.

Just something to think about..

10. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Gervais isn't trying to be a hero. He's more like an anti-hero. actually, he's more closer to being a heyoka, or sacred clown.

he's not really on anyone's team. he just inserts himself into situations where he feels he is needed. sometimes he plays the fool, sometimes the jester, sometimes the social critic, etc. Whatever he feels is required. the heyoka is often a deliberate contrarian.

is it possible he is hired at times precisely to exploit all these things? sure. but don't suppose for a moment he doesn't know it. does he care? likely not. it's not his job to care, it's his job to perform.

but contrary to Maugins post there, Gervais isn't there to deflect the onslaught of exposure; he's there to amplify it. i s'pose the psychology there is that to joke openly and receive some laughs makes all the horrors cutesy and normalized or some such thing. perhaps there is some risk in that happening, but the greater risk is in staying silent. we have to use every opportunity we can to reinforce these messages, even if the method of communication isn't always perfect.

leave it up to the alternative community to whine and complain when a mainstream guy is saying very controversial things at a very mainstream event. we've been begging for it for years, and now that it's happened, we quickly find ways to slam it. why? because it's easier to play the oppressed victim that way. we don't know how to be winners, so we revert back to our old familiar mentality - the cynical loser. i can't listen to randy maugins. i quickly tire of his pretentious attitude towards pretentiousness. no one is ever right besides randy.

11. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), Bluegreen (9th January 2020), Chester (9th January 2020), ExomatrixTV (13th January 2020), Frank V (9th January 2020), Ivanhoe (11th January 2020), Kryztian (9th January 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th January 2020), mokosh (9th January 2020), Satori (9th January 2020), Soda (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020), Valerie Villars (9th January 2020), wegge (9th January 2020)

12. Link to Post #28
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Aragorn (here)

Good question Satori!

As with everything, this kind of rhetoric ─ meaning: what Ricky Gervais did ─ is merely a tool, and a tool can always be used for the better or for worse. The caricature of a jester who exposes the dirt on others has for instance been (ab)used by Nigel Farage every time he addressed the European Commission.

As someone who lives within the European Union and who agrees with the concept of a united Europe but not with the way the EU is being run, I personally took pleasure in the veiled and not-so-veiled insults that Farage used to hurtle at former EU president Herman Van Rompuy, who had abandoned his position as (unelected) Belgian Federal Prime Minister in order to become President of the European Union as a nice pre-retirement move in his political career.

Yet, Nigel Farage was more than simply a court jester. He is a British-nationalist and a xenophobe, and he was crucial in orchestrating the apparent grassroots decision of the British people to leave the European Union, exactly because he used this kind of court-jester-like dark humor as a populist tool. If one understands that populism is in itself not the support for a grassroots movement but rather the hijacking thereof, then it is easy enough to see how there could be a very dark side to being a court jester ─ as Mike already illustrated by pointing out that the medieval court jester's job was really to expose the dirt on the King's associates.

The bottom line is that what Ricky Gervais did ─ which in his case was of course closer in significance to the role of the medieval court jesters than to what people like Nigel Farage are doing ─ is a double-sided blade. It can be used for exposing hypocrisy, but it can also be used for mass manipulation, exactly because humor is generally appreciated by everyone, and because as designated underdogs, court jesters tend to easily amass sympathy from the public, and therefore hold a lot of sway. And buyer beware if the court jester happens to be a narcissist in disguise ─ as many of them tend to be.

Just something to think about..

that was excellent Aragorn. thanks.

you've articulated quite a few things i have been unable to in this thread. appreciated.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), Frank V (9th January 2020), onawah (9th January 2020), Satori (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

14. Link to Post #29
    United States Avalon Member Bluegreen's Avatar
    Language
    ¿
    Thanks
    Thanked 52,179 times in 10,108 posts

I actually agree with much of what Mr Maugans has to say. But not his message.

Everything coming out of Hollywood is scripted, planned, and calculated. Everything, every inch of the visible screen and every second of the recorded sound. To say Gervais' monologue was a surprise to the producers is laughable, inconceivable.

When Nikola Tesla began building Wardenclyffe Tower in 1901, the educated world already knew he was a star. When the rich old white men financing the project came to see it, they realized they had not a star, but a supernova wild card on their hands. Light up the White City of Chicago? This guy can light up the whole state, the entire country! For peanuts on the dollar! Naturally, they panicked, stole everything he had, and ruined his life.

For the next hundred years, they could rest easy, knowing very, very few citizens understood they had become literal slaves to this relatively small coterie of Satanists (yeah, I know its a 'freaky' word to use). Then, in 2001, they got impatient, arrogant, and brought down the Towers. Just as the controlled narrative, with all its holes, served to contain the initial perception of an 'inside job', it also served to awaken a lot of people. I am drawing a parallel here.

It was only a few years ago this monologue would have landed this person in jail. I attended the concert where George Carlin got arrested for public indecency. Although it is the one and only time I ever heard another human say it, I can to this day spout off the 7 Words You Can't Say On Television. The Siegel-Schwall Blues Band saved his ass from serious legal trouble. Times are changing and it is an exciting time to be alive.

The Normies are decent people; it is not their fault they have been hammered over the head since birth by the evil TV/Movie/Media juggernaut that convinces them war and wealth inequality is normal and the way things should be. Despite the fact that it is our present reality, it is not normal and not the way things should be. And here we are talking about paradigm-changing. Inch by inch, person by person, people are waking up and it is a process. Those reading these words on this website are already ahead of the curve in some way, and by varying degrees. Remember, the average man on the street does not know who the Rothschilds are. As one astute member put it, never underestimate the stupidity of the masses.

Was this the event where Gervais 'made his bones', so he could join the likes of Geffen, DeNiro, and the rest of their ankle-biting friends? I don't know. Maybe. The description of a 'double-edged sword' is worth heeding. Here's what I am not buying: the reactions of those in the audience were scripted, designed to bring TV viewers 'into the fold'. Yes, most of those people were actors, whose only actual skill is pretending. Yes, a few were probably told previously to 'act' a certain way. But not Tom Hanks. And not those around him. Not buying it.

Here is how I read Maugans' message: Oh man, we are f-cked. Maugans knows what he is talking about and we don't. We are screwed, its no use. We may as well just give up.

No. It is a process. It is step by step. And I see this as a step in the right direction.

15. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Bluegreen For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), ClearWater (9th January 2020), Ivanhoe (11th January 2020), Ivy23 (10th January 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (9th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), muxfolder (12th January 2020), Soda (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020), Valerie Villars (9th January 2020)

16. Link to Post #30
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,047 times in 645 posts

Some believe sarcasm to be the lowest form of wit, some believe inuendo and direct roasting of others to be great entertainment.

I am curious, but imagine the boardroom meeting to appoint Gervais for the 5th time..

"Right shall we use Ricky again this year? The public are switching off in droves. They're not going to the movies, the studios are being outed, losing money, egos are getting bigger, and the press arent giving the column inches to the industry. I think we need to prove to our sponsors that the GG awards can get publicity for the industry!

What if, we try and turn some of this around and let Ricky do what he does best, lets give him a brief which allows him to rip the piss and make us look good that we the paymasters acknowledge whats going on, but if we allow a comedian to make fun of us all, it will get publicity. Afterall, think of the coverage we'll get?

It's perfect. Controversy gets publicity, outrage, engagement column inches, likes, discussions, shares - exposure of our gitzy event. All publiciity is good publicity for keeping the industry at the forefront of the public's mind letting them think we know whats going on, we not hiding it, we allowing Ricky to remind the public that we know too.

Afterall, it's only the bad eggs that will get pointed out - and we can laugh at our imperfections cant we? We're bigger than all that? aren't we - can't we rise above and look down and laugh, shaking our heads not believing that he actually followed the script legal signed off on.
    But we'll sit in the control room pissing ourselves laughing, high fiving and doing lines of coke snorting ourselves into oblivion amazed that he manages to pull of the objective of the GG awards - EXPOSURE & PUBLICITY of OUR INDUSTRY event including the bad apples.

Oh, but wait - NOTHING HAPPENS until he is cleared by legal BEFORE he goes on. For we as the publisher and broadcaster dont want sued, our stock is valuable and will rise with all the press attention and social media attention as we prove to be THE AWARDS CEREMONY that represents the industry. And if he roasts us (us too?), then perfect - it wont look as tho we're f*****g with the public, and that we really are in control. We gonnae create a win/win/win.

If he does a good job - we win.
    If the press or audience hate him - they hate him, not us (cos he'll rehearse the script to hell n back) - we win.
    If the public like or hate him - we win, who cares, they're talking about Awards ceremony and $$$$ and sponsorship will be even bigger next year.

You in? I say yes - Raise your hand if you're with me, and I'll get Ricky's agent on the phone now.

Believe me guys it's perfect and another thing - I'll make sure we get 30 days to pay on his invoice after the event "

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), ClearWater (9th January 2020), Ivanhoe (11th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), Stealthy Monk (10th January 2020), The Moss Trooper (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

18. Link to Post #31
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,838 times in 650 posts

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    Some believe sarcasm to be the lowest form of wit, some believe inuendo and direct roasting of others to be great entertainment.

I am curious, but imagine the boardroom meeting to appoint Gervais for the 5th time..

"Right shall we use Ricky again this year? The public are switching off in droves. They're not going to the movies, the studios are being outed, losing money, egos are getting bigger, and the press arent giving the column inches to the industry. I think we need to prove to our sponsors that the GG awards can get publicity for the industry!

What if, we try and turn some of this around and let Ricky do what he does best, lets give him a brief which allows him to rip the piss and make us look good that we the paymasters acknowledge whats going on, but if we allow a comedian to make fun of us all, it will get publicity. Afterall, think of the coverage we'll get?

It's perfect. Controversy gets publicity, outrage, engagement column inches, likes, discussions, shares - exposure of our gitzy event. All publiciity is good publicity for keeping the industry at the forefront of the public's mind letting them think we know whats going on, we not hiding it, we allowing Ricky to remind the public that we know too.

Afterall, it's only the bad eggs that will get pointed out - and we can laugh at our imperfections cant we? We're bigger than all that? aren't we - can't we rise above and look down and laugh, shaking our heads not believing that he actually followed the script legal signed off on.
    But we'll sit in the control room pissing ourselves laughing, high fiving and doing lines of coke snorting ourselves into oblivion amazed that he manages to pull of the objective of the GG awards - EXPOSURE & PUBLICITY of OUR INDUSTRY event including the bad apples.

Oh, but wait - NOTHING HAPPENS until he is cleared by legal BEFORE he goes on. For we as the publisher and broadcaster dont want sued, our stock is valuable and will rise with all the press attention and social media attention as we prove to be THE AWARDS CEREMONY that represents the industry. And if he roasts us (us too?), then perfect - it wont look as tho we're f*****g with the public, and that we really are in control. We gonnae create a win/win/win.

If he does a good job - we win.
    If the press or audience hate him - they hate him, not us (cos he'll rehearse the script to hell n back) - we win.
    If the public like or hate him - we win, who cares, they're talking about Awards ceremony and $$$$ and sponsorship will be even bigger next year.

You in? I say yes - Raise your hand if you're with me, and I'll get Ricky's agent on the phone now.

Believe me guys it's perfect and another thing - I'll make sure we get 30 days to pay on his invoice after the event "

Absolutely, Scotslad. You've hit a hole-in-one there pal.

I was 50/50 about this until I read/listened to the Gervais interview yesterday where he stated that he had free-reign with regard to his script and their (FPA) lawyers only checked it before he went on stage.

Folliewood may be a cess-pit of depravity, but they aren't stupid, far from it. Not a chance on earth that they'd intentionally let the fox into the hen-house at night.

Let's sit back and see how this plays out...........

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to The Moss Trooper For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (9th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), ClearWater (9th January 2020), Ivy23 (10th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), scotslad (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

20. Link to Post #32
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,047 times in 645 posts

Afterall, it's only television, and they want our attention and intention on them - not anything else and here we are discussing it - good god we've been sucked in too

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (9th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), Bluegreen (9th January 2020), ClearWater (9th January 2020), Ivy23 (10th January 2020), Kryztian (9th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020), Valerie Villars (9th January 2020)

22. Link to Post #33
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 642 posts

You know what they say about there being "no bad press." It's a self-perpetuating machine. The court jester too has his shows to promote. But without a court what happens to the jester?

$$$$$$$$

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (9th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), ClearWater (9th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), scotslad (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

24. Link to Post #34
    Language
    Mancunian
    Thanks

I don't think it's as complex as people make out.

Ricky Gervais is a very funny guy who has the balls to say it how it is within the confines that even he finds himself in.

He could have said much more..

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to snoman For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Ba-ba-Ra (9th January 2020), Bill Ryan (9th January 2020), Chester (9th January 2020), Eva2 (9th January 2020), Mercedes (9th January 2020), Michi (9th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), Satori (9th January 2020), scotslad (9th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

26. Link to Post #35
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,120 times in 2,678 posts

He makes me laugh. You can call a joke establishing a paradigm then suddenly reversing it, foiling expectation and causing the nervous reaction of laughter, or you can just call it funny.

The PTB don't understand the heyoka and why every tribe needs one. I figure he is good for ratings, that's why they hire him year after year.

I watched him on Netflix last night and split a gut. Watched his Golden Globes master of ceremonies routines and laughed my ass off.

Thanks for the thread, Mike!

Woman runs into police station, "Officer, I've just been graped!"
    Officer--"don't you mean raped?"
    Woman--"No. Graped. There was a bunch of them!"

Lol..apparently an old joke that Gervais signed off with on his Netflix special.

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th January 2020), Chester (9th January 2020), Frank V (9th January 2020), Mike (9th January 2020), onawah (10th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

28. Link to Post #36
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    He makes me laugh. You can call a joke establishing a paradigm then suddenly reversing it, foiling expectation and causing the nervous reaction of laughter, or you can just call it funny.

The PTB don't understand the heyoka and why every tribe needs one. I figure he is good for ratings, that's why they hire him year after year.

I watched him on Netflix last night and split a gut. Watched his Golden Globes master of ceremonies routines and laughed my ass off.

Thanks for the thread, Mike!

Woman runs into police station, "Officer, I've just been graped!"
    Officer--"don't you mean raped?"
    Woman--"No. Graped. There was a bunch of them!"

Lol..apparently an old joke that Gervais signed off with on his Netflix special.

I just heave a huge sigh of relief whenever I read your posts. You're such a clear thinker, and youre just excellent at expressing your thoughts..and very often you sum something up reallly brilliantly in just a few words that would've likely taken me paragraphs (or entire threads). So it's weird mixture of envy and gratitude I feel towards you i really appreciate your mind and your sense of humor. Thanks for chiming in

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

AutumnW (10th January 2020), Bill Ryan (10th January 2020), Chester (9th January 2020), Frank V (9th January 2020), onawah (10th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

30. Link to Post #37
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

I'd like to thank my mother, father, husband, all of my staff, directors, producers. And while I'm at it would like to dispel the "man from Florida," myths that they're all face eating cannibals on bath salts. Everybody please welcome MIKE, from...Florida!

Seriously, thanks Mike. That's high praise. The feelings are mutual!

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Bill Ryan (10th January 2020), Frank V (10th January 2020), Mike (10th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

32. Link to Post #38
    Scotland Avalon Member Stealthy Monk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Stealthy Monk (here)
    Ricky Gervais trivialising rape and paedophilia by turning them into punchlines serves to take the heat off certain individuals, watch Gervais read from the script, as the actors contort their well-trained expressions right on cue.
    Okay people, places please. Lights, camera, action. Wheel out Gervais.... and the mewling herd gobbles it up as if they're witnessing something organic, whilst experts in human behaviour lay waste to their perception of reality.
    ..and cue the applause.
    You've touched upon what has been gnawing at me about his monologue. I get the feeling that it was and is a put-up job, for public consumption. What they hope to achieve by it is to have the public conclude that there is a movement afoot in the industry to clean house from the inside. I doubt that.
    Indeed, and so it goes, the never-ending show of specious bunkum, honed to near perfection, and sold as the staple diet.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Stealthy Monk For This Post:

Tintin (15th January 2020)

34. Link to Post #39
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

Stealthy Monk,

So Weinstein looking haggard and destroyed as he entered the courtroom the other day was just theatre too? Damn, he looked like his death sentence had already been carried out and they dug his body out of the ground.

And all of the other pervs being taken apart by the Metoo movement, just the same as it ever was?

Gervais was confronting all of Hollywood...in a jocular way...but that is as much as he can do, without being dragged into court on defamation charges.

His remarks make a difference, huge ones and people remember, due to comic framing.

He was the real power in the room. He was judge, jury and executioner, without lifting a finger. He also took on the painfully politically correct, also part of the Zeitgeist, for a damned good thrashing. So, so refreshing.

Strange how Gervais, addressing the bigwigs, telling him THEY let it happen, so don't criticize ME, is trivializing rape and
    Last edited by AutumnW; 10th January 2020 at 23:15.

35. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AutumnW For This Post:

Caliban (11th January 2020), ClearWater (11th January 2020), Frank V (10th January 2020), Gracy (10th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

36. Link to Post #40
    Scotland Avalon Member Stealthy Monk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Posted by AutumnW (here)
    Stealthy Monk,

So Weinstein looking haggard and destroyed as he entered the courtroom the other day was just theatre too? Damn, he looked like his death sentence had already been carried out and they dug his body out of the ground.

And all of the other pervs being taken apart by the Metoo movement, just the same as it ever was?

Gervais was confronting all of Hollywood...in a jocular way...but that is as much as he can do, without being dragged into court on defamation charges.

His remarks make a difference, huge ones and people remember, due to comic framing.

He was the real power in the room. He was judge, jury and executioner, without lifting a finger. He also took on the painfully politically correct, also part of the Zeitgeist, for a damned good thrashing. So, so refreshing.

Strange how Gervais, addressing the bigwigs, telling him THEY let it happen, so don't criticize ME, is trivializing rape and
    And then he received a very large cheque from the child-peddling entity known as Hollywood, before heading home for cocoa. Yes, this man's a beacon of hope.

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stealthy Monk For This Post:

Caliban (11th January 2020), ClearWater (11th January 2020), Tintin (15th January 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast