+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Fermentation

1. Link to Post #1
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Default Home Fermentation

I recently started brewing my own kombucha, and making own kefir. I am blown away at the difference it has made to my general health. Has anybody got any tips or experiences they would like to share when it comes to home fermenting, gut health, or anything related to it?

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Uilleam For This Post:

aceninja (10th January 2020), Anka (9th January 2020), EFO (9th January 2020), haroldsails (9th January 2020), Ioneo (9th January 2020), jjjones (10th January 2020), Joe (11th January 2020), Mercedes (9th January 2020), Nenuphar (9th January 2020), Pam (10th January 2020), shaberon (10th January 2020), Strat (10th January 2020), toppy (10th January 2020), TrumanCash (9th January 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,728 times in 1,343 posts

Default Re: Home Fermentation

I like to ferment veggies at home for probiotics and prebiotics. Some people call it "kimchi". Very easy to do.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TrumanCash For This Post:

EFO (9th January 2020), jjjones (10th January 2020), Mercedes (9th January 2020), Pam (10th January 2020), Strat (10th January 2020), toppy (10th January 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    United States Avalon Member Zionbrion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 times in 406 posts

https://www.wildfermentation.com/

I own the book, its great.

6. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Zionbrion For This Post:

Anka (10th January 2020), EFO (9th January 2020), haroldsails (9th January 2020), jjjones (10th January 2020), Mercedes (9th January 2020), Pam (10th January 2020), Strat (10th January 2020), toppy (10th January 2020), Uilleam (9th January 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    UK Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Do you just use salt in a jar?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uilleam For This Post:

jjjones (10th January 2020), Pam (10th January 2020), toppy (10th January 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,166 times in 3,979 posts

We have tinkered with this a bit, and for a while we had some Fire Cider, which is something like Apple Cider Vinegar with a plethora of other ingredients like ginger that do indeed make it very sharp.

The only real tip I have would be, try to avoid a dispenser that has a cheap plastic spigot.

Otherwise, the personal testimony of improvement mixed with doing it at home, is of great value. It is simply something that was "stolen" from us with the upsurge of Pasteurization and the general demise of subsistence farming, and here in the U. S. at least, it has been known that our commercial farmland is dead and veggies inert for a hundred years.

The "complementary opposite" I would say is sprouts. I have seen that in Germany, stores have a "sprout cabinet" where the things are still alive, and so if one does not have acreage for wheat, chances are you can launch a small bed of sprouts over and over in limited space. The sprout is a dynamo of concentrated minerals, which thin out during the plant's life, eventually vanishing if grown in commercial farm soil around here.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shaberon For This Post:

Anka (10th January 2020), Antagenet (3rd March 2020), jjjones (10th January 2020), Joe (11th January 2020), Pam (10th January 2020), toppy (10th January 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    France Avalon Member OopsWrongPlanet?'s Avatar
    Thanks

I've had lots of success fermenting vegetables. It's so simple and so healthy.

..... but I have never yet tried Fermenting a whole Home

x

M

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OopsWrongPlanet? For This Post:

Antagenet (3rd March 2020), Craig (12th January 2020), jjjones (10th January 2020), Pam (10th January 2020), toppy (11th January 2020), Uilleam (10th January 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,369 times in 3,306 posts

This was my first year of making my own Apple cider vinegar. It is so very simple to do and works wonderfully with apples that had fallen off my apple trees but were really small. I just wish I had made more.I mix some with water every morning and it actually tastes good, much better than Braggs ACV. I just made my first batch of yogurt using coconut milk, which is a relatively simple process as well. I have also done kombucha. I love the process of fermentation and the health benefits seem to be endless.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

jjjones (10th January 2020), Joe (11th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th February 2020), toppy (11th January 2020), Uilleam (10th January 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,328 times in 2,365 posts

Quote Posted by Uilleam (here)
    I recently started brewing my own kombucha, and making own kefir. I am blown away at the difference it has made to my general health. Has anybody got any tips or experiences they would like to share when it comes to home fermenting, gut health, or anything related to it?
    Re kombucha, anything black in the pot is bad, dump it out, clean the pot and start over. Health benefits: wife tended to lose a lot of hair, but that stopped when drinking kombucha.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

toppy (11th January 2020), Uilleam (13th January 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,263 times in 199 posts

After several years away from it, I began brewing kombucha again earlier this month. Ginger kombucha beats gingerale (pop) any day!

I wanted to get back into making milk kefir, too. Last time (years ago), I was fortunate enough to obtain some extra grains from a woman in my town. This time, there are none that I can find locally, so am paying someone to mail them to me from somewhere else in the province. I must pamper and coddle them once they arrive; I don't want to have to pay $20 for a Tbsp of grains again. Eek.

I found a site called Kefirhood where people can post or seek out milk kefir and water kefir grains and kombucha scobies. I know Facebook seems to be the go-to when it comes to buying, selling, and sharing things these days, but I like to find alternatives to FB and to use them when possible.

18. Link to Post #10
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    This was my first year of making my own Apple cider vinegar. It is so very simple to do and works wonderfully with apples that had fallen off my apple trees but were really small. I just wish I had made more.I mix some with water every morning and it actually tastes good, much better than Braggs ACV. I just made my first batch of yogurt using coconut milk, which is a relatively simple process as well. I have also done kombucha. I love the process of fermentation and the health benefits seem to be endless.
    I made persimmon vinegar this year, first time ever doing anything like that, and I followed a recipe/instructions for ACV. It turned out quite nice, just a bit sweeter than ACV, but no mother formed. I'm trying a second batch now with persimmons I had put in the freezer.

I also did jun, which is very similar to kombucha but used honey and green tea instead of sugar and black tea. I like the flavor better.
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...
    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Anka (29th February 2020)

+ Reply to Thread