Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The "Big One": The Cascadia Earthquake that has to come

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,807 times in 10,288 posts

Default The "Big One": The Cascadia Earthquake that has to come

New predictions about the Cascadian Earthquake and what it portends
    There is still no way of knowing definitely when the Big One in the Pacific Northwest will occur, but planning continues for when it does.
    For most, the problem won't be so much how to survive the quake, but how to survive the aftermath, assuming you survive the quake itself, which is predicted to cause more fatalities and damage than the Japanese quake of 2011.

What was most striking to me while watching this was how much denial I think people are in who are still living in that danger zone.
    Having lived through the Loma Prieta quake of '89 in the San Francisco Bay Area, and knowing how likely it was that there would be more coming, I didn't delay long before moving more inland, away from the West Coast.
    Remaining there just felt like madness to me, like tempting fate.
    In my case, there wasn't much holding me there, which is not the case for many.
    But the kind of trauma that people experience in such disasters is severe.
    Even if they survive it, they are never the same, and such trauma can carry over into future incarnations.
    I wonder if any kind of research has been done finding out in hindsight how many people who survive such calamities, having known they were coming, regretted remaining in harm's way.
    Last edited by onawah; 13th January 2020 at 09:18.
    Each breath a gift...

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2020), Curiosity (14th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), Ernie Nemeth (13th January 2020), haroldsails (14th January 2020), Ivanhoe (13th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), Kamikaze (13th January 2020), Kryztian (15th January 2020), moonlight (13th January 2020), peterpam (13th January 2020), raregem (13th January 2020), Reinhard (20th January 2020), Sadieblue (14th January 2020), Sophocles (13th January 2020), Star Mariner (14th January 2020), Sunny (14th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (13th January 2020), Tintin (13th January 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 278,703 times in 20,648 posts

Default Re: The "Big One": The Cascadia Earthquake that has to come

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Curiosity (14th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), haroldsails (14th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), Kryztian (15th January 2020), onawah (13th January 2020), peterpam (13th January 2020), raregem (13th January 2020), Reinhard (20th January 2020), Sadieblue (14th January 2020), Sophocles (13th January 2020), Tintin (13th January 2020), Yoda (13th January 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,987 times in 1,723 posts

I live right in the middle of the this area. I am in a Tsunami alert area with Tsunami warning signs posted on the roads. I live at sea level. I'm not at all in denial about the quake happening. I accept the possibility of it. There are so many things one can be fearful about, I have just decided not to worry about it. I have taken minimal precautions. The reality is that safety is pretty much an illusion. If I moved from here to be safer from earthquakes I would exchange that for another threat to safety.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to peterpam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2020), Bluegreen (14th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), haroldsails (14th January 2020), Jackson (14th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), onawah (13th January 2020), raregem (13th January 2020), Sadieblue (14th January 2020), Sophocles (13th January 2020), Star Mariner (14th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (13th January 2020), Tintin (13th January 2020), wondering (20th January 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Sweden Avalon Member
    Thanks

Quite a comprehensive and precise video on the issue up there with good information.

Should be viewed by the locals in the Northwest USA.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Kamikaze For This Post:

Bill Ryan (13th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), haroldsails (14th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), onawah (13th January 2020), peterpam (14th January 2020), raregem (13th January 2020), Sadieblue (14th January 2020), Sophocles (13th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (13th January 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

This is an excellent depiction of the problem, from https://projects.oregonlive.com/maps...uakes/timeline. The 'Big One' could literally happen tomorrow.

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

4evrneo (14th January 2020), Curiosity (14th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), Mare (14th January 2020), onawah (13th January 2020), peterpam (14th January 2020), raregem (13th January 2020), Sadieblue (14th January 2020), Sophocles (13th January 2020), Star Mariner (14th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (13th January 2020), Yoda (14th January 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,409 times in 576 posts

When it does happen the wall of water will wipe the place like a slate washing it out overnight and there is a good chance of serious inland flooding also. No telling how tall that wall of water will be either but some say it could depending on the size of the quake be a 500 or 600 foot wave coming at them at 220 mph!
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), onawah (13th January 2020), peterpam (14th January 2020), raregem (13th January 2020), Sadieblue (14th January 2020), Sunny-side-up (13th January 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,756 times in 2,628 posts

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)
    I live right in the middle of the this area. I am in a Tsunami alert area with Tsunami warning signs posted on the roads. I live at sea level. I'm not at all in denial about the quake happening. I accept the possibility of it. There are so many things one can be fearful about, I have just decided not to worry about it. I have taken minimal precautions. The reality is that safety is pretty much an illusion. If I moved from here to be safer from earthquakes I would exchange that for another threat to safety.
    I respect your position. I respect you as a intelligent and thoughtful person. I don't know anyone in that area so you represent "people I feel concern about personally". I will visualize you safe and that all is well for all of you there.

Earth changes happen all the time. The Cascadia events of the past were huge and the tensions still exist that triggered them.

What I do not really comprehend is the disconnect about planning to live as a group of people on this planet and the way the earth operates. This just mystifies me. Actually I think that once we were nomadic groups that were NOT primitive but moved around with intuition about the way the shifts needed to be managed. It really makes no sense to build gigantic and concentrated cities where floods, fires, earth quakes and volcanoes are looming. It makes little sense to concentrate ANY population in ghettos of impoverished shanties. If there is a mind parasite, IMO it made us believe we needed to cling together like biofilm enclosed microbes.

In the new world, IMO there will be a mass revelation that we must release our beliefs about how to live and unfortunately I feel concern that this will be a harsh wake up unless we could THOUGHTFULLY and WILL FULLY approach change...

I loved the Portland arae and know for the moment it must be quite awesome. Maybe we can help collectively relax the earth with our minds? Gentle release of pressures and metanoia are my 21st century mantras....
    Last edited by Delight; 13th January 2020 at 20:05.

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), earthdreamer (14th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), onawah (13th January 2020), peterpam (14th January 2020), Reinhard (20th January 2020), Star Mariner (14th January 2020), Sunny (14th January 2020), ZenBaller (14th January 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,869 times in 3,407 posts

Hi peterpam.
    Wishing you and all that live in that area the very best of luck.
    Sometimes you just have to make a stand where you are, even though too some people it seems
    simple to just move, all the best to you if it happens in your/our life time.
    Alan
    Same goes to all of us if, say, the Yellowstone park mega volcano, or any one of those goes off.
    The world gets reset again.
    I'm a simple easy going guy that is very upset/sad with the worlds hidden controllers!
    We need LEADERS who bat from the HEART!
    Rise up above them Dark evil doers, not within anger but with LOVE

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sunny-side-up For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), onawah (13th January 2020), peterpam (14th January 2020), wondering (20th January 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

My dearest friends still live in California, very near the coast, also in the areas where fires are likely to occur.
    I understand the mindset of many Californians, since I lived in the Bay Area and Santa Cruz for 20 years.
    After moving there from the East Coast, in comparison it seemed like such a paradise back in the 70s that I felt, like I think many others did, that even if it went into the ocean, I was willing to go down with it.

But if my friends go down with it, I will certainly feel the loss, even if they don't!
    The West Coast has certainly changed a lot, though, and had even changed a lot by '92, when I moved to Arkansas.
    When I got to Arkansas, it felt like paradise compared to the West Coast, which had become just as crazy, crowded, stressful, expensive and dangerous as the East Coast by that time.
    (But then, I am one of those very sensitive people who just need to be in an uncrowded, natural setting to really feel whole.)

It was a gifted psychic who kept having lucid dreams about a tsunami inundating the coast, who knew many others who were having the same premonitions, that finally convinced me to leave.
    That and my own lucid dream about it.
    My first home in Arkansas was in Hot Springs, where I met and worked with one of my mentors, Viktoras Kulvinskas, who wrote, quite fittingly, this book 27 years ago that is still in bookstores today:

He is also quite psychic, and he said that he had done a lot of research before moving to Hot Springs from the West Coast, and had determined that Arkansas was going to be relatively safe during the earth changes.
    I had to go through a huge amount of personal transition to make that move, but I definitely feel it was worth it.

But when that Big One hits, and if it triggers the San Andreas fault as well, it will be world-changing.
    For one thing, there are going to be big food shortages, which will trigger many other problems, not just on the Coast, but in places that have depended on the Coast as a food source.

If I had my druthers now, I'd be living in a self-sustaining, eco-friendly spiritual community, which one of my other mentors, the late Dr. Christopher Hills, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hills ...thought would play a very large role in the future paradigm of the planet.
    I didn't know anything about Viktoras Kulvinskas when I moved to Arkansas, but as it turned out, he was a huge fan of Dr. Hills.

I've had a nomadic kind of life, living on both coasts and in between over my lifetime, but each time I pulled up my roots and moved somewhere new, I found a good reason for having done so.
    Even though it wasn't always easy, I saw a pattern of connecting dots that made sense of the healing and spiritual discovery journey I was on, in hindsight, if not in foresight.
    I think I was probably in Atlantis when it went down, and maybe I just decided on a soul level that I don't want to have to go through all that again!
    Maybe that kind of experience has value to it as well, so I am not judging, just musing about it all from my own personal perspective!
    Last edited by onawah; 14th January 2020 at 06:50.
    Each breath a gift...

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), Delight (13th January 2020), earthdreamer (14th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), Kryztian (15th January 2020), Ol' Roy (15th January 2020), peterpam (14th January 2020), Reinhard (20th January 2020), Satori (13th January 2020), Sunny (14th January 2020), wondering (20th January 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,185 times in 743 posts

Quote Posted by Ratszinger (here)
    When it does happen the wall of water will wipe the place like a slate washing it out overnight and there is a good chance of serious inland flooding also. No telling how tall that wall of water will be either but some say it could depending on the size of the quake be a 500 or 600 foot wave coming at them at 220 mph!
    If Mother Earth ever wants to get rid of most of humanity, she's probably noticed that most of us live on the coasts or near rivers that connect to the ocean :-)

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), peterpam (14th January 2020), Ratszinger (14th January 2020), Reinhard (20th January 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Quote Posted by onawah (here)
    My dearest friends still live in California, very near the coast, also in the areas where fires are likely to occur.
    I understand the mindset of many Californians, since I lived in the Bay Area and Santa Cruz for 20 years.
    After moving there from the East Coast, in comparison it seemed like such a paradise back in the 70s that I felt, like I think many others did, that even if it went into the ocean, I was willing to go down with it.

But if my friends go down with it, I will certainly feel the loss, even if they don't!
    The West Coast has certainly changed a lot, though, and had even changed a lot by '92, when I moved to Arkansas.
    When I got to Arkansas, it felt like paradise compared to the West Coast, which had become just as crazy, crowded, stressful, expensive and dangerous as the East Coast by that time.
    (But then, I am one of those very sensitive people who just need to be in an uncrowded, natural setting to really feel whole.)

It was a gifted psychic who kept having lucid dreams about a tsunami inundating the coast, who knew many others who were having the same premonitions, that finally convinced me to leave.
    That and my own lucid dream about it.
    My first home in Arkansas was in Hot Springs, where I met and worked with one of my mentors, Viktoras Kulvinskas, who wrote, quite fittingly, this book 27 years ago that is still in bookstores today:

He is also quite psychic, and he said that he had done a lot of research before moving to Hot Springs from the West Coast, and had determined that Arkansas was going to be relatively safe during the earth changes.
    I had to go through a huge amount of personal transition to make that move, but I definitely feel it was worth it.

But when that Big One hits, and if it triggers the San Andreas fault as well, it will be world-changing.
    For one thing, there are going to be big food shortages, which will trigger many other problems, not just on the Coast, but in places that have depended on the Coast as a food source.

If I had my druthers now, I'd be living in a self-sustaining, eco-friendly spiritual community, which one of my other mentors, the late Dr. Christopher Hills, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hills ...thought would play a very large role in the future paradigm of the planet.
    I didn't know anything about Viktoras Kulvinskas when I moved to Arkansas, but as it turned out, he was a huge fan of Dr. Hills.

I've had a nomadic kind of life, living on both coasts and in between over my lifetime, but each time I pulled up my roots and moved somewhere new, I found a good reason for having done so.
    Even though it wasn't always easy, I saw a pattern of connecting dots that made sense of the healing and spiritual discovery journey I was on, in hindsight, if not in foresight.
    I think I was probably in Atlantis when it went down, and maybe I just decided on a soul level that I don't want to have to go through all that again!
    Maybe that kind of experience has value to it as well, so I am not judging, just musing about it all from my own personal perspective!
    It's interesting you should mention the dreams and visions of tsunami's. When I first moved into this house I went up to a small deck upstairs where I can see the water. I actually had the strong feeling and a momentary flash of a huge body of water coming into view from the west. I didn't feel terrified by it, it was sort of mesmerizing. I have always had a fascination and extreme interest in tsunamis. I have had dreams about them as well. I had one about 2 weeks ago. I have a really strong need to live near a large body of water, not sure why that is.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterpam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), justntime2learn (15th January 2020), onawah (14th January 2020), Reinhard (20th January 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,409 times in 576 posts

I never had dreams of tsunamis but I did have a repeating dream as a youth of water receding and me playing out in it. I never tied it together with a tsunami though until the big one that effected so much of the world and I saw the videos. Then it was that "Ahha" moment as they say.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), onawah (14th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    Thanks

One of the things I found very interesting that was in the video in post #1 of this thread is that there is a whole new industry now for people looking for ways to survive a tsunami.
    They are buying big waterproof, reinforced metal balls that they can strap themselves into, lock the door from the inside, and hopefully survive until they land somewhere safe or get rescued.
    I would imagine a ride like that could challenge even an astronaut!

(Imagine getting swept back out to sea in one of those things...I think they should include paddles.)
    There are different sizes, some can hold just 1 or 2 people, others can hold 10--(perhaps there are larger ones too) and some with lots of "mod cons":
    http://survival-capsule.com/Products.html

Quote We currently have five capsule models available or planned for manufacture and sale. Our model matrix defines the various models, including seating arrangements and other building specifications.
    SC2001 Capacity – 2 Adults
    SC4001 Capacity – 4 Adults
    SC6001 Capacity – 6 Adults
    SC8001 Capacity – 8 Adults
    SC10001 Capacity – 10 Adults
    The Survival Capsule comes with many standard features and a few optional extras.
    Designed by aircraft engineers
    Tested to extremes
    Different occupancy models to choose from
    Storage provided for supplies and water
    Dual hatch design
    Locator beacon
    Tethered option
    Multi-hook points on outer surface
    High strength; low weight
    Thermal protection
    Dry shelter for use post-disaster
    Affordable
    The Survival Capsule is a patent-pending, personal safety system (PSS) designed as a spherical ball to protect against tsunami events, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, and storm surges.
    Using a PSS, as opposed to a municipal safety system like a safe house, allows individual groups and families to be more in control of their survival in an emergency situation. The capsule is also a variable disaster solution, which means it can vary position according to the water depth, so it will never be inundated by water levels rising too high. It also provides warmth, safety, and shelter during the initial post-disaster period before rescue crews and relief workers have arrived on the scene.
    Built with strength and survivability in mind, by a team of experienced aerospace engineers, the survival capsule will operate safely and efficiently in the harsh circumstances and environments to which a natural disaster would expose it. The sphere will withstand the initial impact of a natural disaster, as well as sharp object penetration, heat exposure, blunt object impact, and rapid deceleration.
    We’ve designed the capsule to be mounted inside or outside the home or business establishment. The capsules come in various sizes ranging from two-person capacity all the way up to a ten-person capacity. The smaller capsules are suitable for private dwellings and family homes. The larger capsules are designed for municipal buildings, businesses, hospitals, airports, schools and general public safe havens.
    Standard Features
    Safety Seating with Four-Point Harness Straps
    Storage Space (sufficient for five day’s supply per person)
    Multiple Counter Sunk Hoisting Points
    Water Storage (bladder or tank)
    Basic Internal Light
    GPS (Global Positioning System)
    Air Ventilation Vents
    Capsule Storage Stand
    Basic, High-Visibility Unit Color
    Air Supply Tanks (one for each occupant)
    Hard Restraint Support
    Solid, Watertight Marine Door (opens from inside and outside)
    Marine Standard Window
    Capsule2
    Optional Features
    Surround Sound Music System
    Additional Storage
    Multiple Capsule Stacking System
    Dry Powder Seat Toilet
    Additional Internal Lighting
    Solar Panel Array
    Additional Internal Insulation (acoustic and thermal)
    Ground and Rooftop Tether System
    Color Options
    Kind of like big hamster ball, only propelled by the tsunami

Then there's these Bumper Balls :

And this Water Walking Human Hamster Ball :

I guess for some of us, contemplating disasters tends to warp our sense of humor.
    Maybe I should just post this in the "You Must Laugh at Least Once a Day" thread.
    Each breath a gift...

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), Meryl (20th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Thanks

One of the things I found very interesting that was in the video in post #1 of this thread is that there is a whole new industry now for people looking for ways to survive a tsunami.
    They are buying big waterproof, reinforced metal balls that they can strap themselves into, lock the door from the inside, and hopefully survive until they land somewhere safe or get rescued.
    No kidding. There seems to be good fighter-pilot (or racecar-driver) seat belts for the people, but I'd not envy the poor little dog in there.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

justntime2learn (20th January 2020), onawah (15th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020), Yoda (15th January 2020)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

If the owner of a small dog was holding it, it might get squeezed to death by the terrified owner, for one thing.
    One hates to imagine what might befall a small child.

Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    No kidding. There seems to be good fighter-pilot (or racecar-driver) seat belts for the people, but I'd not envy the poor little dog in there.
    Each breath a gift...

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020)

31. Link to Post #16
    Thanks

If the owner of a small dog was holding it, it might get squeezed to death by the terrified owner, for one thing.
    That's very true. I presume the designers have child-seat and baby-carriage options (with smaller seatbelts, etc), but maybe not!

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

justntime2learn (20th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020), Yoda (15th January 2020)

33. Link to Post #17
    Thanks

No doubt something could be custom-made, if not, but even so, what a traumatic experience for a child!
    Quote Posted by Bill Ryan (here)
    That's very true. I presume the designers have child-seat and baby-carriage options (with smaller seatbelts, etc), but maybe not!
    Each breath a gift...

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020)

35. Link to Post #18
    Australia Avalon Member
    In the hills above the sea in Victoria. My off-grid paradise.
    Thanks

And helmets. Surely. No good surviving a tsunami and climbing out brain damaged. What a brilliant concept.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meryl For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020)

37. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Imagine getting in one of those orbs and after surviving being buried alive under tons of rubble and uprooted trees. I'm not sure what would be worse, being killed drowning or being buried alive in a little metal ball.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterpam For This Post:

Bill Ryan (20th January 2020), justntime2learn (20th January 2020), wondering (20th January 2020)

39. Link to Post #20
    Thanks

Imagine getting in one of those orbs and after surviving being buried alive under tons of rubble and uprooted trees. I'm not sure what would be worse, being killed drowning or being buried alive in a little metal ball.
    No kidding. What would be needed (I wonder if the ball manufactures have thought of this?) is an included Personal Locator Beacon [PLB] that would activate automatically when the ball was in motion and send a 24 hour emergency signal to NOAA with its location within 100 meters. (I have one myself — a PLB, not a ball! — that I now take on all my remote mountain hikes.)

Last edited by Bill Ryan; 20th January 2020 at 14:07.

40. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

justntime2learn (20th January 2020), onawah (20th January 2020), onevoice (20th January 2020), peterpam (20th January 2020), Yoda (20th January 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast