Page 91 of 154 FirstFirst 1 41 81 91 101 141 154 LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 3079

Thread: The Wuhan Coronavirus [Covid-19, the Honey Badger virus]

1. Link to Post #1801
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,287 times in 1,830 posts

Default Re: The Wuhan Coronavirus [Covid-19, the Honey Badger virus]

Quote Posted by Caliban (here)
    From Sheryl Atkisson, updated 3/13, 1:12 p.m. . https://justthenews.com/politics-pol...AKR6z4.twitter

(That 36 # of U.S. deaths should be around 50 now )

Coronavirus is nothing to sneeze at. But so far, widespread panic may not be justified.

You should know:

Almost all of the reported coronavirus deaths in the U.S. happened in long-term care facilities in Washington State. And almost all of those occurred at the same facility.
    Most people who get coronavirus have mild or no symptoms.
    No young or middle-age people have died of coronavirus in the U.S.
    Most around the world diagnosed from January-March 1 have already recovered.

Obviously, this is a fast-moving news target. For the latest information from the government, you can visit the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) coronavirus page at CDC.gov. The following information is accurate as of Thursday.
    URL to Embed

Q: What is the average American’s risk of getting coronavirus?

A: Low. CDC reports: “For the majority of people, the immediate risk of being exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 is thought to be low.”

Q: What’s the likelihood that coronavirus is in my community?

A: Low. CDC reports: "There is not widespread circulation in most communities in the United States.”

Q: How many coronavirus deaths have there been in the U.S.?

A: So far, not many. CDC reports 36 deaths. Adding various news reports, the number could be about 40 and growing. Although one death is too many, the reported deaths are among 43 states (including the District of Columbia) reporting outbreaks since January in a population of more than 327 million people.

Q: How many young people have died of coronavirus in the U.S.?

A: So far, there are no reports of deaths among young people in the U.S. The U.S. Surgeon General reports the average age of people who have died from coronavirus in the U.S. is 80. Additionally, he says those who are most impacted have chronic, serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes, and lung disease.

Q: Who has died so far?

A. These were compiled using CDC reports plus news and local health department reports:

31 Washington State elderly. That includes 27 in King County, (22 at the same elderly nursing facility in Kirkland), three in Snohomish county, and one in Grant County, a patient in their 80s.
    Four California elderly: A woman in assisted living in her 90s, a hospitalized woman Santa Clara in her 60s, an “elderly man” in assisted living, and a 71-year-old man with underlying health conditions who’d been on a Grand Princess cruise ship.
    Two Florida residents in their 70s who had traveled overseas.
    One New Jersey diabetic man, 69, who suffered two cardiac arrests.
    One South Dakota man aged 60-69, with "underlying medical conditions”
    One Georgia man, 67, with “underlying medical conditions”

Q: How many people have recovered?

A: News reports say that in China alone, out of 80,000 diagnosed, nearly 60,000 have already recovered. However, the true number of recovered is likely far higher since most of those who get the virus have mild or no symptoms, and so are not diagnosed at all.

Q: Why have there been so many coronavirus deaths in Italy?

A: Italy has reported 827 coronavirus deaths. Experts say the high number is partly because Italy has more residents in the vulnerable age category. Italy has the oldest population in Europe and more elderly per capita than the U.S. Most of the Italian deaths are in patients in their 80s and 90s. In addition, Italy has a great number of direct China contacts. Italy was the first to join China’s “silk road” economic partnership project. The coronavirus is believed to have originated in China. Italy’s 827 deaths are out of a population of 60 million people. Even though one death is too many, it is still a small relative number.

Q: Why am I hearing so many different fatality rates?

A: Experts say all coronavirus death rates are nothing more than estimates at the moment. That’s because it is impossible to know how many people have or had the virus. And that total number is needed to calculate an accurate rate. What makes it more difficult is the fact that most people have few or no symptoms, and so it is impossible to count them.

Some current death rates that sound high are being calculated in a particular age group. The rate will be highest among the elderly and, in the U.S., there have been zero deaths among people age 50 and under. Some death rates are being calculated as deaths among the sickest patients, those are diagnosed and treated, which will produce a much higher number than a more accurate death rate that takes into consideration those patients who are infected but do not become ill at all.
    Caliban, Lets imagine that this virus is overblown, than throw your attention to the rest. You are a US citizen. We are now throwing 50 billion taxpayer dollars at this virus. The economy has made an about face over it. Jobs will be lost.People that had confidence in the economy and acquired debt may pay dearly. Taxpayer money will be funnelled into corporations. Inflation over the Fed printing will go to what heights? Borders locked down. Unprecedented activities over 2500 cases???? If not the virus, what else is up with this... no matter what, big things are happening here. Your a smart guy, expand on your thinking processes.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Pam For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Caliban (15th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), norman (14th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Sarah Rainsong (14th March 2020), Satori (14th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), Sunny (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (14th March 2020)

3. Link to Post #1802
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 times in 130 posts

Interactive map from Johns Hopkins shows how coronavirus is spreading in real-time

https://www.wsls.com/health/2020/02/...2Rcn1B8GtgHpNE

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sadieblue For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), frodo13 (15th March 2020), Pam (14th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

5. Link to Post #1803
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,125 times in 593 posts

Quote Dorjezigzag, I am so very happy you are back. We need the likes of you at this time. Hang around. This might very well be the time we all knew was coming.
    Thanks for that Peterpam, we are certainly living in interesting times as they say in China

Quote Brought to you by the dumb-f***** demopublican, deep state, controller pussies.

Ps. This type of crap is designed to get you to focus your frustrations on the wrong people and on the wrong issues.
    You may well be right Satori, I think most people on this forum can see it for what it is, I just found it funny and wanted to share. In my opinion Its good to laugh at times like this.
    For orpheus’s lute was strung with poets sinews- Shakespeare, two gentlemen of Verona

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dorjezigzag For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), Pam (14th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), T Smith (14th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

7. Link to Post #1804
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,697 times in 1,269 posts

Quote Posted by Sadieblue (here)
    Interactive map from Johns Hopkins shows how coronavirus is spreading in real-time

And they know this, yes know, not just say it, but know, how?

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), Pam (14th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

9. Link to Post #1805
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,729 times in 529 posts

There are obviously some people that think that they went over board in stockpiling and preparing for the virus.

Some people think that the virus is not going to be as big a problem as we are being told. But many problems are the result of our societies getting pushed past the norm.

We need to keep our eyes on the big picture. Be extra cautious in your day to day routines. Many people will be going into emergency care at hospitals due to the fear of them or their loved ones possibly having the virus. The "better safe than sorry" play.

So, emergency wards will be very busy. This is a bad time for a broken wrist or other small but necessary medical emergency. If you have done everything right to avoid the virus and prepare to keep away from crowds, be extra cautious to avoid injuries that would require emergency medical care.

Slow down, take your time. If you think that your country or community has jumped the gun in cancelling things - oh well, enjoy a bit of down time. Of course there are many financial problems that will come into our lives due to these changes, but we are all in this together. I am setting my mind to have humanity show it's good side - the more of us that do that the better for all!

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Patient For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Caliban (14th March 2020), Dorjezigzag (14th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), silvanelf (15th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), Stardad (15th March 2020), T Smith (14th March 2020), TelosianEmbrace (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

11. Link to Post #1806
    United States Moderator Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 times in 193 posts

Quote Posted by Ayt (here)
    Quote Posted by Dorjezigzag (here)
    Plague Doctors and pandanemics!

Pandemics have come around again and again in history, I find it interesting to look at past aproaches.

I did note a connection between "crow" and latin Corvus, then Greek korōnē , and Koronis. Much symbolism in the Crow, Dorjezigzag... Wonder if anyone else picked up on that imagery during all this?
    Quote crown (n.)
    early 12c., coroune, croune, "royal crown, ornament for the head as a symbol of sovereignty," from Anglo-French coroune, Old French corone (13c., Modern French couronne) and directly from Latin corona "crown," originally "wreath, garland," related to Greek korōnē "anything curved, a kind of crown," according to Watkins from a suffixed form of PIE root *sker- (2) "to turn, bend."
    But Beekes considers the "crown" sense as derived from the formally identical Greek word korōnē "crow" (see raven), which, he says, was used metaphorically "of all kinds of curved or hook-formed objects." "Moreover," he writes, "the metaphorical use of [korōnē] 'crow' is nothing remarkable given the use of its cognates ...; the metaphors may have originated from the shape of the beak or the claws of the bird." Compare Latin corax "crow," also "a hooked engine of war," French corbeau "raven," also "cantilever;" English crowbar, etc.
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/crown

Quote Crow
    The Crow is one of the animals sacred to Apollo and Hera. The crow has made appearances in some myths.

Koroneis
    Koroneis, a princess of Phokis (in central Greece), daughter of Coroneus. Her beauty doomed her as she was pursued by Poseidon. Fleeing from the god she cried out to Athene for help and was transformed into a crow (koronis).

A Tale of Betrayal
    Coronis, daughter of Phlegyas, King of the Lapiths, was one of Apollo's lovers. While Apollo was away, Coronis, already pregnant with Asclepius, fell in love with Ischys, son of Elatus. A white crow which Apollo had left to guard her informed him of the affair and Apollo, enraged that the bird had not pecked out Ischys' eyes as soon as he approached Coronis, flung a curse upon it so furious that it scorched its feathers, which is why all crows are black.
    https://greekmythology.wikia.org/wiki/Crow

Quote The name is derived from the Latin corvus meaning "raven". The type species is the common raven (Corvus corax); others named in the same work include the carrion crow (C. corone), the hooded crow (C. cornix), the rook (C. frugilegus), and the jackdaw (C. monedula).
    I have decided to start calling this Corvid19 I'm pretty sure I saw this exact typo somewhere not on PA, and I thought of this post and decided to just adopt it.

Now I need a gif.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Ayt (14th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Dorjezigzag (14th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), TelosianEmbrace (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (14th March 2020)

13. Link to Post #1807
    Thanks
    Thanked 292,186 times in 21,636 posts

Quote Posted by Satori (here)
    Quote Posted by Sadieblue (here)

And they know this, yes know, not just say it, but know, how?
    That page has been up for at least 6 weeks, maybe longer. It's merely tracking the outbreak clusters as the increased or new numbers are reported every day from each location. Then they plot them on a map, so you can see what's happening where, and to what degree.

These sites do that, too:
    And the best site for the numerical updates (but no map) may be
    I'm sure there are others! But they just present the same data in different ways, as it's reported daily. (New cases, new deaths, new recoveries, new countries with cases, etc.) It's all pretty innocent, as best as I can see.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (15th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), frodo13 (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Satori (14th March 2020), silvanelf (15th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), T Smith (14th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (14th March 2020), Yoda (15th March 2020)

15. Link to Post #1808
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,433 times in 634 posts

Quote Posted by peterpam (here)

Caliban, Lets imagine that this virus is overblown, than throw your attention to the rest. You are a US citizen. We are now throwing 50 billion taxpayer dollars at this virus. The economy has made an about face over it. Jobs will be lost.People that had confidence in the economy and acquired debt may pay dearly. Taxpayer money will be funnelled into corporations. Inflation over the Fed printing will go to what heights? Borders locked down. Unprecedented activities over 2500 cases???? If not the virus, what else is up with this... no matter what, big things are happening here. Your a smart guy, expand on your thinking processes.
    My friend and fellow smart guy,

I don't know if I'm "smart enough" to answer that. But what happened after 9/11 ? Our economy didn't go into total tailspin but they set it into motion and eventually caused a massive upward transfer of wealth. Didn't they introduce unprecedented new "security measures" and grant new powers to brand new agencies that very patently were designed to reduce our individual and collective liberties? Wasn't that the beginning of what we're still involved in now, and is appearing to be ramping up big time? Remember after the Boston Marathon incident--there was basically martial law in Boston for a few days and the National Guard were searching houses with no warrants at all.

I would say we're starting to see that, in bits and pieces. Now I'm sure people are getting ill and there are risks involved. I don't poo-poo that. It goes back to the expression Icke likes to use: Problem-Reaction-Solution. That's what I've got for now, condensedly, from what I've been reading and looking at. In terms of details, exact players and moves, Bill and someone like RD Steele can help us.

I don't want to see people freaking. I am hopeful in that there's lots and lots of great information being digested right now and people are getting educated on Health and what's really going on. (might be going on)

Yeah, be concerned, take the precautions and the oregano oil (just got mine ) But--remember who we are as spiritual beings--and that this too shall pass. Eventually.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (15th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Satori (14th March 2020), T Smith (14th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (14th March 2020)

17. Link to Post #1809
    Netherlands Avalon Member ExomatrixTV's Avatar
    Language
    Dutch
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,350 times in 3,750 posts

Chinese hospitals discharge 36,117 recovered patients of coronavirus infection

Coronavirus: 60% of UK population need to become infected so country can build 'herd immunity', government's chief scientist says
    Last edited by ExomatrixTV; 14th March 2020 at 23:01.
    ~no need2follow anyone only consider to broaden (y)our horizon of possibilities
    ~new: Stop5G.net & FB groups/Stop5G

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ExomatrixTV For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Caliban (14th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Sunny (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (14th March 2020)

19. Link to Post #1810
    Language
    Mancunian
    Thanks

this is worrying... 168,000 people signing as i type

Petition
    Implement UK lockdown for preventing spread of COVID19

The UK needs to follow suit the containment procedures of countries that have been greatly affected by COVID19 such as Italy.
    The UK should restrict unnecessary travel between towns and cities. Travel permitted should only be for work or emergencies.
    Public gatherings should also be discouraged.
    Sign this petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...xcljIzjqPoSKO0

I am very very uncomfortable with rising numbers of people calling to be put in lockdown... I am not however saying i think we shouldnt self-isolate but...
    extrapolating forwards, to another time and event, the control system might well say 'well, last time lockdown was necessary it was the people who had to demand the government impose it, after much inaction for which they came in for severe criticism.. so we are keen to avoid a repeat of that and are taking these steps without public consultation.' society is easily conditioned to changes... this makes me very itchy to say the least

20. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to snoman For This Post:

Ayt (14th March 2020), Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Dorjezigzag (14th March 2020), Eligos (15th March 2020), norman (14th March 2020), Rosco1 (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Satori (14th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), T Smith (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (14th March 2020)

21. Link to Post #1811
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,489 times in 4,567 posts

Quote Posted by snoman (here)
    this is worrying... 168,000 people signing as i type

Petition
    Implement UK lockdown for preventing spread of COVID19

The UK needs to follow suit the containment procedures of countries that have been greatly affected by COVID19 such as Italy.
    The UK should restrict unnecessary travel between towns and cities. Travel permitted should only be for work or emergencies.
    Public gatherings should also be discouraged.
    Sign this petition

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...xcljIzjqPoSKO0

I am very very uncomfortable with rising numbers of people calling to be put in lockdown... I am not however saying i think we shouldnt self-isolate but...
    extrapolating forwards, to another time and event, the control system might well say 'well, last time lockdown was necessary it was the people who had to demand the government impose it, after much inaction for which they came in for severe criticism.. so we are keen to avoid a repeat of that and are taking these steps without public consultation.' society is easily conditioned to changes... this makes me very itchy to say the least
    That's bloody stupid.

IF the case for it is valid, there shouldn't be any exception for any reason, else what the hell's the point.

The dead givaway that something fishy is up with this is that there are exceptions written in to it.

Like, this is life and death, unless you've got a job to go to, FFS, give me a break.
    .................................................. my first language is TYPO..............................................

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (15th March 2020), Inaiá (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (14th March 2020)

23. Link to Post #1812
    Thanks

As best I can understand, Ecuador has just made an announcement that it's cutting off all incoming flights from everywhere, and not even citizens or residents will be able to enter the country by land, sea or air after midnight on Monday. The drawbridge is up.

24. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (14th March 2020), avatar (15th March 2020), Ayt (14th March 2020), Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), David Trd1 (15th March 2020), Dorjezigzag (14th March 2020), Frank V (14th March 2020), graciousb (18th March 2020), Gracy May (15th March 2020), justntime2learn (14th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Rosco1 (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Satori (15th March 2020), silvanelf (15th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), Sunny (15th March 2020), T Smith (15th March 2020), TelosianEmbrace (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (15th March 2020), Yoda (15th March 2020)

25. Link to Post #1813
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,705 times in 1,122 posts

Quote Posted by Baby Steps (here)
    So , say it is true that this virus is an engineered bioweapon, that was planted in Wuhan by parts of the USA deep state.

This does not compute, as it would very likely blow up in their faces
    Not if these so-called perpetrators are "deep-state globalist factions" that do want to bring the USA down... that is, the USA's nationalist government currently commandeered by a rogue administration (which isn't so easily disentangled from "Deep State" per the common understanding of things. How can one really blame one and exonerate the other? It makes perfect sense to me. These "deep state" actors, e.g., NWO globalists, have no love for the USA or any other national power.

Quote Posted by Baby Steps (here)
    They very likely would depart from traditional inscrutability, and publish research, accusing these forces of the crime. Such a statement would greatly assist those in the USA seeking to reestablish the people's control of a deep state currently operating autonomously.
    This is giving a lot of credit to the general PR-washed public in discerning the complex dynamic of geopolitical reality, imho. Even so, Chinese Intelligence has accused these forces of the crime, in the only way that doesn't sound even crazier to the public than it already sounds (even the benign way it's framed by the counter propaganda apparatus in the West portrays the charge as a absurd "conspiracy theory")... The problem is, this is a very "murky" accusation to make... I would guess not 1 in 1000 has a good enough grasp on the complex dynamic of geopolitical reality to understand that a US Soldier potentially planting the virus in Wuhan in November 2019 might be nothing more than an unwitting NWO asset bearing a uniform with the insignia of an American flag in symbol only. His/her mission and objective is not only unbeknownst to the world, but also to him/herself, his/her commanding officers, and, ironically, quite counter to the very interests of the country he/she serves. It is very plausible that these soldiers are their own enemies. How would such a statement or accusation from Chinese intelligence separate the official US military with the globalist factions behind it, i.e. those forces that have deployed the bioweapon using US military assets as lapdogs?

Whether the charge in the article above is true or not (I believe Bill speculated about this well before this article even came out), this is what foreign ministry spokesperson Lijian Zhaohis accusations suggest to me.
    Last edited by T Smith; 15th March 2020 at 16:23.

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to T Smith For This Post:

Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Caliban (15th March 2020), Gracy May (15th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Satori (15th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (15th March 2020)

27. Link to Post #1814
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,489 times in 4,567 posts

I bet I get boo'd off for saying this, but there is one exciting prospect haunting all this lockdown stuff.

With the whole world locked down, the roundup of cabal/deepstate actors should be a piece of cake.
    .................................................. my first language is TYPO..............................................

28. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to norman For This Post:

Alan (14th March 2020), Ayt (14th March 2020), Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Caliban (15th March 2020), David Trd1 (15th March 2020), edina (15th March 2020), justntime2learn (14th March 2020), Patient (15th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (15th March 2020)

29. Link to Post #1815
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,523 times in 1,464 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)
    I bet I get boo'd off for saying this, but there is one exciting prospect haunting all this lockdown stuff.

With the whole world locked down, the roundup of cabal/deepstate actors should be a piece of cake.
    No boo's necessary from where I'm sitting...
    “To develop a complete mind: Study the art of science; study the science of art. Learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else” – Leonardo Da Vinci

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to justntime2learn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (14th March 2020), Caliban (15th March 2020), David Trd1 (15th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (14th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), wondering (15th March 2020)

31. Link to Post #1816
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,697 times in 1,269 posts

Quote Posted by norman (here)

I’m not sure it will be a piece of cake. Yes, there may be fewer innocents walking around and getting in harms way and complicating things, but the implication from the point of view of this theory is that the targets will fold like a cheap tent. I’m not sure that follows. I believe many will cower because they are a bunch of frightened chicken ****s, but some will not go down without having their hired thugs fight back for them.

I just heard that Trump, Pence and other high level US official are leaving the US for some reasons. Is that true? If so, what’s up with that?

32. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th March 2020), David Trd1 (15th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Rosco1 (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (15th March 2020), Sunny (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

33. Link to Post #1817
    United States Avalon Member wondering's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,063 times in 153 posts

Norman, What an excellent thought...no boos from me, either. Diane

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wondering For This Post:

Bill Ryan (15th March 2020), David Trd1 (15th March 2020), justntime2learn (15th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

35. Link to Post #1818
    Thanks

An all-embracing 50 minute conversation between Dave Hodges (host) and Mike Adams, recorded just before Trump's emergency announcement yesterday.

Recommended (and there are some valuable self-treatment tips in there) — but it's not for the faint-hearted.

36. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Ryan For This Post:

Alan (15th March 2020), Eligos (15th March 2020), Frank V (15th March 2020), justntime2learn (15th March 2020), kaytee (15th March 2020), pyrangello (15th March 2020), Rosco1 (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (15th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), T Smith (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020), TrumanCash (15th March 2020), Yoda (15th March 2020)

37. Link to Post #1819
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,011 times in 2,904 posts

Containment need not be for a LONG period but needs to be intensive and would help.

Quote Get started
    The 11 Day Plan to contain COVID-19. The Global 11 Day Plan?
    Jan Barta

This will be very surprising to the absolute majority of people, but it is relatively simple to contain COVID-19 at this point if the right measures are enacted immediately. It’s all about changing government and people mindsets. Instead of taking gradual reactive measures based on the number of cases increasing (the boiling frog analogy) because governments are afraid of damage to the economy, it is absolutely vital to go for total radical and pro-active measures that will essentially grind to a halt the normal course of living for a very short period of time — a couple of days.

Through these measures COVID-19 will be contained within 3 weeks in most places in the given cities/countries enacting these measures and much less harm will be done to the world economy in the end.

I have devised a very simple plan — The 11 Day Plan — that is based on evidence of what works to contain the virus, draws on behavioral economics, minimizes long term damage in mental health (we will be facing a global epidemic of anxiety disorders and OCD otherwise) and takes into account the specifics of the situation and shortcomings we are currently facing, which include:

· Total shortage of protective gear, respirators, masks etc. for even the most exposed in the first line of defense — doctors and medical personnel

· Testing capacity is limited, helplines are clogged up, it is often very difficult for people with symptoms to even get tested

· Our governments are not agile and capable enough to deliver a response like Singapore, which can deliver surgically precise interventions on a micro level. Actually, I firmly believe US/European governments must immediately give up on imitating Singapore, which was prepared on a completely different level than we are (experience with SARS epidemic etc.)

· Contact tracing is becoming increasingly more complicated with the amount of cases and the rise of community spread

· Certain governments (e.g the UK) are on the verge of giving up on the containment phase and are increasingly looking at the option of letting the disease cascade through the population

· We are still very lucky to have a limited amount of cases and little community spread

This is The 11 Day Plan. I have kept it as simple as possible — because that makes it the most effective and easy to understand (there are many tweaks and upgrades I can think about, but I will discuss them later elsewhere):

1. Each country, city, region or village (with a perimeter of a few km to be defined based on contact tracing) that has more than 1 case per 20,000 inhabitants must enact for a period of 11 days a total ban on people leaving their household — except for 1 household member every two days to purchase food/medicine or critical medical visits. This is how you drive down the multiplying effect of the virus substantially. All restaurants (except for takeaways), offices, gyms, pretty much everything, are closed for 11 days. Establish a two hour window, say 10.00 to 12.00, where supermarkets and pharmacies are open only to the most vulnerable — to pensioners — to decrease their chances of infection.

2. For 11 days enact an order that all medical staff, pharmacy and supermarket employees must wear respirators or face masks. On a country level divert your protective supplies to cities with the enacted 11 Day plan so they can supply these employees.

3. Deliver a surge in frequency of public transport for 11 days to increase social spacing (may seem counter-intuitive when use of public transport has already declined, but it is the right thing to do). Ban the taxi service, UBER, LYFT etc. for 11 days for transporting people. Instead, make all these drivers couriers for 11 days.

4. Cut all transport links to other countries, cities and regions that are virus free or have limited cases (under 1 case in 20,000 inhabitants). Only keep them open for critical logistics.

So why enact all these measures for exactly 11 days? 11 days is a short enough time frame that people can envision their lives grinding to a halt for and staying at home. Also, 11 days happens to be where approximately 95%+ of cases fit with their incubation period. The whole idea is that within these 11 days the vast majority of people that are currently infected but are not showing symptoms will develop symptoms and surface. You then keep these people in strict home quarantine and put the most vulnerable/tough cases in the hospital.
    Within 3 weeks you basically have COVID-19 contained with all existing cases in home quarantine or hospital in a given territory. Here and there you will have a new case surface somewhere, but you are dealing with a problem of completely different magnitude and with the small amount of these cases you can deliver a precisely targeted intervention.

The economy can be pretty much immediately restarted in full swing in 3–4 weeks and the least economical damage is done as opposed to gradual reactive measures that most governments are currently enacting.

Now, it is very legitimate to ask why not enact all these measures for the entire country or the entire continent for a globally synchronized 11 day period — especially since the world is so interconnected? It would be obviously difficult to coordinate and the effect on this economy would be a little bit larger, but not significantly. The world economy is paralyzed anyway.

This may sound totally naïve from somebody living somewhere in the Czech Republic with no global policy experience– but I am calling on the WHO/United Nations/World leaders to help me enact this GLOBAL 11 Day Plan. Dream Big, right?

Please share if you support the idea. Also, I would be delighted if at least one small newspaper could publish this because my wife is angry with me because I have been working on my computer nonstop for 2 weeks. I need to show her that I have been doing something useful. Stay strong everybody, this will be over soon.
    This article is creative commons.
    Jan Barta, 34, resides in Prague, Czech Republic. He is a partner in Pale Fire Capital.
    Last edited by Delight; 15th March 2020 at 02:02.

38. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

Alan (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (15th March 2020), David Trd1 (15th March 2020), Frank V (15th March 2020), mountain_jim (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (15th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), Sunny (15th March 2020), T Smith (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

39. Link to Post #1820
    United States Moderator Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 times in 193 posts

Presidential primary delayed, National Guard deployed in Georgia over virus fears

Quote Atlanta — Georgia election officials are postponing the state’s March 24 presidential primaries until May because of fears over the coronavirus.
    On Saturday, Kemp also called up the National Guard, saying he will deploy as many as 2,000 troops to help with the coronavirus response.
    Election officials said in addition to the safety of the public, one of the biggest considerations was the risk the virus posed to poll workers, who are often older.
    I was not expecting all this so soon. I'm acutely aware of Georgia, cause that's where I am, but it's all across the US. And US officials seemed so far behind the curve, I think I half expected our healthcare to be totally overwhelmed before they actually did anything.

There's a lot of talk going around about the need to reduce the risk for those specifically in the high-risk categories. This talk did not exist even just a few days ago!

Like most of you, I've been following this for months. Pretty much at every report, I'm yelling at the screen something along the lines of: "You should have been doing that a month ago!" Now all of the sudden, their actions are on steroids. So part of me feels like "wait, did I miss something?"

I'm totally behind shutting things down and protecting the vulnerable! Remember that scene from Jurassic Park? "People are dying. Would you please shut down the system!" I've been John Hammond yelling that at the US for not acting sooner.

And yet, I have a nagging sensation that all this sudden focus on protecting the vulnerable is being used a smoke screen for something else.

One suspicion I have is that the officials are scared to death of what might happen to them. So many of them are, well, old men. They fall into the high risk age and gender category. Has anyone looked into the demographics of our officials and aligned them with the data for Corvid19? (see what I did there ) If this thing were to sweep through DC, what kind of statistics are we looking at among them?

40. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Basho (15th March 2020), Ben Macdonald (15th March 2020), Bill Ryan (15th March 2020), David Trd1 (15th March 2020), Delight (15th March 2020), Frank V (15th March 2020), Gracy May (15th March 2020), Sadieblue (15th March 2020), Sophocles (18th March 2020), T Smith (15th March 2020), Tintin (15th March 2020)

Closed Thread
Page 91 of 154 FirstFirst 1 41 81 91 101 141 154 LastLast