Thread: Opinions on mammograms

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Default Opinions on mammograms

What is the latest "opinion" about mammograms. I am male but my wife isn't. She is 54 and has had a few and feels pressure to get one every year by her doctor. She has not done so but is thinking every two years is the right call.

She comes from a large family from Medellin, Colombia (stating this in relation to diet norms of that region... generally healthier than what the uninformed or non caring folks here in the US imbibe). No one in her family has ever had breast cancer until her sister (a few years older) dealt with it five or so years ago. Her sister had done the mammogram thing every year for years. Some of her family and close friends have shared their opinions as to why she got breast cancer - the radiation exposure from these mammograms.

What might be the opinions of Avalonians if any of ya'll would be so kind as to share them.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Arcturian108 (2nd February 2020), Bill Ryan (29th January 2020), DeDukshyn (30th January 2020), Denise/Dizi (29th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), edina (29th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Ioneo (29th January 2020), raregem (29th January 2020), Sadieblue (30th January 2020), toppy (29th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Sarah Rainsong's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,530 times in 505 posts

Default Re: Opinions on mammograms

I am 44, so no one's really pushed for mammograms for me, yet. But here's my opinion for what it's worth: I've never had a mammogram, and unless my self exams or self awareness show an issue, I have no intention of getting one. Same goes for any other 'recommended' invasive or painful procedures. I have no family history of problems. If I did, I would probably do things differently.

I'm also big on being aware of your own health/body and taking responsibility for it. Self exams, self awareness, and taking charge of your health are all things I advocate for.

Sometimes that's not workable, for many reasons, so if someone's not confident or capable of that, then do what the doctor says.
    The world is changed... I feel it in the water... I feel it in the earth... I smell it in the air...
    Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Sarah Rainsong For This Post:

Blacklight43 (29th January 2020), Chester (29th January 2020), Denise/Dizi (29th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), edina (29th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), raregem (29th January 2020), Sadieblue (30th January 2020), Seabreeze (29th January 2020), Sue (Ayt) (29th January 2020), toppy (29th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks

I refuse to get a mammogram and I also take high doses of estrogen (HRT) so my regular doctor thinks I'm insane. I stay up-to-date on longevity science and research topics dealing with all degenerative diseases, in addition to cancer. You may want to research the metabolic theory of cancer.

It's extremely controversial right now but more and more doctors and scientists are coming to the conclusion that insulin resistance is the root cause of most chronic illnesses, including cancer.

My regular doctor refused to prescribe HRT unless I got a mammogram so I ended up finding a special doctor for just the hormones. The whole situation started me on a path where I voraciously research these topics on my own and make my own choices.

I hope this helps

6. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to marielle For This Post:

Blacklight43 (29th January 2020), Cara (1st February 2020), Chester (29th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), raregem (29th January 2020), Sadieblue (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th January 2020), Soda (29th January 2020), toppy (29th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

Uuh..another one. I had this done 1 time...but never again I will have this done. Someone out of the med. field told me...: They (doctors) can not really see anything on those mammogram pictures. On the old ones....sonogram...they see more. (a doctor told her this) But the new machines must run steadily.........

The sonogram is harmless...The mammogram is unhealthy for the human cells...

Then, when I had the mammogram check up the first (and last) time my doctor looked at it and he said : Mmh...I can not really see anything here. Lets do a sonogram where I can see better !!!! So I had a proof on what my friend did tell me before.....

Mammograms should not be done on woman younger than 50 years old......because it is to unhealthy for them. (...was the official statement at that time. Today they talk about it differently .......) But when you turn 50 all of a sudden it is not unhealthy again...and you get forced to do so?

What would be way more important to check is the hormons of woman age 45-50 and older, because of the big hormon changes they go through at this age.

But no....they prefer to look for tumors, they can take care then with surgery or chemotherapy....insteed of looking for what might causes the heavy problems in a woman body in and after the menopause......

THis is the common way today....to tread only the symptom without searching for what causes it...........
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 29th January 2020 at 20:44.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Chester (29th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), raregem (29th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (29th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Thank every one of you for your answers so far. I hope more weigh in.
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Seabreeze (31st January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,945 times in 1,689 posts

I have been using an HMO, Blue Cross medical insurance. If you refuse to touch Pharmaceutical Medications, which are designed to be deadly, in keeping with the Rockefeller plan to use his petrochemicals to produce chemicals used in the medical industry while at the same time, confusing the biochemical balance of the human body and eliminating people from life in keeping with the plan of Global Genocide, the Doctors who apparently receive a KICKBACK from the price of the medication, at the end of the year, gets rid of you as a patient. They apparently get financial benefit from the test facilities they send you to. At the end of the year, when most of your medicare set aside for tests and doctor visits is used up, they give you the boot. They also try to get you on to pain killers, fast trip to the grave. The elderly tell you to keep away from doctors, because they have made the connection with deliberate genocide.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to amor For This Post:

Arcturian108 (2nd February 2020), bettye198 (30th January 2020), Chester (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (30th January 2020), Seabreeze (31st January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Canada Avalon Member
    Thanks

A mammogram is a barbaric archaic procedure where the breast is savagely compressed. If they find something suspicious they send you for an ultrasound because they haven't got a clue what it is. With so much pressure there is a chance that the mass would ooze; if it's malignant then the critter is out of the bag, then starts the game catch me if you can.
    They don't send the patient for an ultra sound from the start. Why?
    We have been there, paid the price and learned our lesson. No more mammograms.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tomkoyote For This Post:

Arcturian108 (2nd February 2020), bettye198 (30th January 2020), Chester (30th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (30th January 2020), Seabreeze (31st January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member Ratszinger's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,279 times in 1,399 posts

My wife doesn't get mammograms any longer she gets an ultrasound instead. You should have it done especially if you have a family history or something in the way of a lump you found. Tumors are nothing to mess around with. They move at varying speeds but the bottom line is this. A tumor or lymphoma 1 centimeter in diameter has 1 billion cancer cells. If it spreads, and it would be a big assumption to think it wouldn't, it can get into your bones in time and once there it's just 2 years maybe 2.5 yrs before it kills you. If you find something, mess around with alternative bogus treatments, waste time thinking you'll let the chips fall where they may, then in the mean time the tumor can grow and each centimeter more in diameter it gets brings a billion more cancer cells into the picture. Preventive measures and catching it early are what it is all about. So many catch it early and then end up doing more damage waiting around trying to decide what to do. Get two opinions if you must but get on board a treatment plan and start fighting it. Conspiracy theories aside the success stories that I've witnessed and interviewed have all been those that caught it early and acted early. Surgical removal of the infected part early has the best chances of success. After that it is just research, trial and error and hoping they can slow it down or put it into remission.
    The genius consistently stands out from the masses in that he unconsciously anticipates truths of which the population as a whole only later becomes conscious! Speech-circa 1937

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ratszinger For This Post:

Arcturian108 (2nd February 2020), Chester (30th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Sadieblue (30th January 2020), Strat (29th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member bettye198's Avatar
    Fairfield Glade, Tennessee in the Catoosa Mts
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 times in 571 posts

I am in my 73rd year and refuse mammo's. And for all the reasons people post. I also take high energy nutrients and guard myself against the usual infestation of chemicals, vaccines, toxic bugs and toxic people, eat mostly plant based and use my higher mind to get in the right place. I remember once a statement my husband who is a nutrition practitioner and retired chiropractor said. He said, going for a mammogram is putting your thoughts in a place of wanting to see something is wrong. I have used that reminder many times for any procedure that the medical modality pushes for their own agenda for profit. We are the captains of our own ship and how we navigate it determines its journey.
    When you realize where you come from, you naturally become tolerant, disinterested, amused, kindhearted as a grandparent, dignified as a king. -- I Ching

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bettye198 For This Post:

Chester (30th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (30th January 2020), Seabreeze (31st January 2020), Sue (Ayt) (30th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,945 times in 464 posts

Hello there Sammy, for years I was very scared of becoming ill with cancer, did screenings for cervical cancer and mammograms every six months, the reason was my mother , grandmother, aunt had died of cancer so I became quite cancerophobic one might say? As the years passed and I became more aware of what might be the real reason my family was becoming ill. But I found Dr. Mercola to have the most informed opinion
    so here is an article about the subject.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...eing-done.aspx

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mercedes For This Post:

Chester (30th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (30th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,445 times in 8,541 posts

I have heard or read several interviews / articles in Canada about why it should be primarily abolished. Reasoning is that we have alternative testing, they aren't all that effective, its basically an x-ray, and they crush the **** out of woman's breasts to administer, which I imagine is crappy - and much more painful for some, than others.

That's just what I have heard, (although now that I am getting older, gaining a bit of weight, I can say as a man, any amount of breast crushing would be not cool).

A lot of sentiment around cancers lately is that we still use really archaic methods for detection and d treatment and nothing has changed to the benefit of those who profit from these areas not advancing.

Listened to an episode on the radio recently that Australia recently conducted some studies that said something like 40% of diagnosed "cancers" weren't actually harmful, and didn't need horrific treatments like chemo, but rather should have been observed instead, as the body would likely have dealt with it on its own. (not true cancers) - a bit off topic but something to also consider.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 30th January 2020 at 01:48.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Chester (30th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,309 times in 307 posts

Cancer feeds on estrogen, I was young when I had to have a hysterectomy, was put on
    HRT for many years, from age 40 I always got a yearly mammogram, have had two brothers
    with cancer. Just this past year my mammogram showed up with cancer of the breast in the ducts, which had not yet broken out and become invasive, so glad it was found in time via Mammogram, that now it is gone and without having to take chemo or radiation....I do wonder at times if the HRT may have caused it. I was never pushed into getting the mammograms, I felt it was for my betterment to do it.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sadieblue For This Post:

Chester (30th January 2020), earthdreamer (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (30th January 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

25. Link to Post #13
    United States Avalon Member earthdreamer's Avatar
    Thanks

I had the one done at 40 and I said afterwards “Never again!”. ( as described by the other posters, it is torturous) But there is no history in my blood family. My aunt had it and her mother so there are many women who have to be alert. It angered me that my elderly mother-in-law kept getting them in her mid-eighties on orders from her doctor.
    The sonogram detection seems smarter, wonder why that isn’t that standard over mammograms ? $?

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to earthdreamer For This Post:

Chester (30th January 2020), Iloveyou (30th January 2020), Sadieblue (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (30th January 2020), Seabreeze (1st February 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

27. Link to Post #14
    Europe Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,386 times in 1,223 posts

Just a short note. Seldom have I read about a question where the answers and opinions are so unanimous and clear. I‘m glad to see that. Same here: no mammograms ever (I had one when I was young), for all the reasons mentioned and more. Though there are always exceptions. Happy for Sadieblue that it has done no harm and has even benefitted in her case.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Iloveyou For This Post:

Chester (30th January 2020), Sadieblue (30th January 2020), Sarah Rainsong (30th January 2020)

29. Link to Post #15
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,162 times in 1,389 posts

Plant-based doctor Pamela Popper has been very outspoken on this subject for many years now, always sharing the evidence as it surfaces in the medical literature.

the greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated --- Gandhi

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Akasha For This Post:

Chester (30th January 2020), Sadieblue (31st January 2020), Seabreeze (1st February 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

31. Link to Post #16
    United States Avalon Member Seabreeze's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,293 times in 594 posts

Talking about breast cancer. I remember another expierence I had at a so called clinical breast center. They make big advertisment with...if you have breast pains or your breast is changing somehow come for a check up. This is a University clinic breast center in Europe.

I became sudden breast pains and my breast did change...it was like something pulling from the inside. And I wanted a check up at this breast center, because I thought they would really check on everything like hormons aso. It was hard to get the necessary paperwork first. My doctor had to write me this and did refuse to do so at first. All this doctor did was a Sonogarm which was without result in my case.

Anyways, finally the paperwork was done and I went to the breast center for check up. The pain I had was incredible...only on the left side first...then it started on the right side also. Guess what they did there? Another sonogram (silly and totaly unnecessary. because my doctors one was without result already. The one they made of course had the same result...none.

The young doctor there, I guess, only had order to make a sonogram. So I asked if he could not make a more detailed check up...check the hormons aso. He got nervous and did call the main doctor. This guy did only look shortly on the sonogram picture and before I even could say something, he said : We wait another 3 month and then we make another check up by sonografie and then by mamogram....and turned around and dissapeared quickly.

So I am sitting there with heavy pains in both breast and they tell me to wait another 3 month? And nothing got checked?

They wanted me to wait until there is a tumor they can tread then. I was really shocked about this. I did cry when I left the hospital because I felt so helpless. I never went there again. My breast pain did stop after some weeks then, but my breast does not look the same anymore.

Insteed of breast pain appeared back pain right on the other side of my body....in the spine area. I went to some other doctor`s because of this back pain. All they did was x-ray it...where you only can see the bones and nothing else. I asked them to make some other check up, but the did refuse to do so and I all I got was a prescripton for massage and gymnastic sessions and some heavy pain medications.

Then I got the diagnosis for fibromyalgia because of permanent pains....what a joke

The cause of fibromyalgia is unknown;----yeah, sure it is unknown if they don`t look where the problem comes from...

My trust into doctors is not alive anymore....and this is only one reason why...there are many others, just as bad expieriences with the med. field, I had in my life so far.

So I decided to better stay away from them if possible because often they make things even worse than any better.....

THE DOCTOR TAKES CARE YOUR ILLNESS - BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT HE LIVES FROM......

YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE YOUR HEALTH - BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT YOU LIVE FROM.........

(this statement comes from a doctor who does not trust the med. system himself anymore...)
    Last edited by Seabreeze; 1st February 2020 at 19:21.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seabreeze For This Post:

Sadieblue (2nd February 2020), Sarah Rainsong (1st February 2020), Victoria (2nd February 2020)

+ Reply to Thread