+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Elastic Universe and Computers

1. Link to Post #1
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,330 times in 2,365 posts

Default Elastic Universe and Computers

I’ve worked in computers for over 30 years. One thing I started noticing right away was that sometimes things don’t work until I prove they have to. In other words, I’ve had to re-do everything step by step, verifying each step, before it worked. I asked a friend in the electronics field if that ever happened to him, and he said, “all the time.”

Here’s an example from today. I have my computer set up to boot to either of 3 OSes, with a data partition that any of the OSes can write to. Fairly soon after booting into my default OS, I went to edit a couple of files I edit everyday and it said “read only” and I couldn’t edit them. I verified the permissions and they were set for read/write, NOT read only. I rebooted twice and it still said read only. So I booted to another OS, an OS I never use to edit these files, and verified that I could indeed edit one of them with no problem, without actually saving the edit, so the file remained untouched. Having proved that it had to work, I rebooted into my default OS and was able to edit either of the 2 files, even the one the 2nd OS had not even looked at.

Another example from a couple of weeks ago. For my various computers, I make “bare metal” backup image files from a program on a USB stick. This 32-bit program wouldn’t work on the Microsoft Surface, so I installed the 64-bit program from my Dell and verified it worked. First time I tried it on the Surface, the program hung at a certain point. Rebooting, it got further. Finally it booted OK and I was able to make a backup image file. It’s like the Surface had to get used to the idea of running this program!

I have also seen this phenomenon working on printer/copiers, especially the big, complex ones. And they don't even have software, it's all firmware. I would not trust a Tesla car!

This has happened to me often over the years, and I think it’s evidence of an elastic universe. While computer technology is being engineered to enslave us, it may end up providing the proof we need that we are in an elastic universe, that we create our own reality.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Baby Steps (1st March 2020), Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Craig (29th February 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), East Sun (1st March 2020), EFO (29th February 2020), ExomatrixTV (3rd March 2020), Ivanhoe (1st March 2020), liderr (1st March 2020), mab777 (3rd March 2020), Mercedes (7th March 2020), Michi (29th February 2020), Mike (1st March 2020), O Donna (1st March 2020), Sunny-side-up (29th February 2020), toppy (29th February 2020), wegge (1st March 2020), yelik (2nd March 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,568 times in 1,716 posts

Default Re: Elastic Universe and Computers

Quote Posted by TomKat (here)
    I’ve worked in computers for over 30 years. One thing I started noticing right away was that sometimes things don’t work until I prove they have to. In other words, I’ve had to re-do everything step by step, verifying each step, before it worked. I asked a friend in the electronics field if that ever happened to him, and he said, “all the time.”

Here’s an example from today. I have my computer set up to boot to either of 3 OSes, with a data partition that any of the OSes can write to. Fairly soon after booting into my default OS, I went to edit a couple of files I edit everyday and it said “read only” and I couldn’t edit them. I verified the permissions and they were set for read/write, NOT read only. I rebooted twice and it still said read only. So I booted to another OS, an OS I never use to edit these files, and verified that I could indeed edit one of them with no problem, without actually saving the edit, so the file remained untouched. Having proved that it had to work, I rebooted into my default OS and was able to edit either of the 2 files, even the one the 2nd OS had not even looked at.

Another example from a couple of weeks ago. For my various computers, I make “bare metal” backup image files from a program on a USB stick. This 32-bit program wouldn’t work on the Microsoft Surface, so I installed the 64-bit program from my Dell and verified it worked. First time I tried it on the Surface, the program hung at a certain point. Rebooting, it got further. Finally it booted OK and I was able to make a backup image file. It’s like the Surface had to get used to the idea of running this program!

I have also seen this phenomenon working on printer/copiers, especially the big, complex ones. And they don't even have software, it's all firmware. I would not trust a Tesla car!

This has happened to me often over the years, and I think it’s evidence of an elastic universe. While computer technology is being engineered to enslave us, it may end up providing the proof we need that we are in an elastic universe, that we create our own reality.
    And not only computers
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), Mercedes (7th March 2020), O Donna (1st March 2020), Sunny-side-up (29th February 2020), toppy (29th February 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Canada Avalon Member Ernie Nemeth's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 36,600 times in 5,379 posts

I work in the electronics field and I do not trust them. I have meters that don't work reliably except for others, but not me. I always have to tap my phone numerous times before it responds - it never ever, ever responds on the first try - ever!

And yes, that programming thing, it's as though your will has to be iron-clad and you must be certain of the function before it will work - even if nothing gets changed in the meantime beyond your own strength of belief. What is that?

Of course, I've been told that a computer has to continually tend to its contents because of degradation of state at the bit level, especially in RAM memory. So maybe its just timing - trying to run the program at the exact moment a bit randomly changes state for unknown reasons - it happens all the time...

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ernie Nemeth For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), Mercedes (7th March 2020), Sunny-side-up (29th February 2020), toppy (29th February 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

[...] I have my computer set up to boot to either of 3 OSes, with a data partition that any of the OSes can write to. Fairly soon after booting into my default OS, I went to edit a couple of files I edit everyday and it said “read only” and I couldn’t edit them. I verified the permissions and they were set for read/write, NOT read only. I rebooted twice and it still said read only. So I booted to another OS, an OS I never use to edit these files, and verified that I could indeed edit one of them with no problem, without actually saving the edit, so the file remained untouched. Having proved that it had to work, I rebooted into my default OS and was able to edit either of the 2 files, even the one the 2nd OS had not even looked at. [...]
    There's a far more prosaic explanation for that. However, you've remained vague as to what those operating systems are, and also ─ crucially ─ what filesystem is on the data partition that all three of those operating systems can use.

Now, given that you are mentioning "read" permission and "read/write" permission, I deduct that your primary operating system would be a GNU/Linux distribution. Also, I suspect that it will be Debian, Ubuntu or Mint, because those three default to using ext4 as the filesystem of choice ─ notwithstanding that you could easily choose different filesystems ─ and if an ext4 filesystem was not unmounted cleanly, it'll get marked as "dirty". And then in Debian, Ubuntu and Mint, the kernel will by default (re-)mount the filesystem in read-only mode so as to prevent further damage to the filesystem by processes attempting to write to it, regardless of the permissions on the individual files and directories.

You then booted into another operating system, which also had to mount this filesystem, and which would have found the "dirty" flag, and may then have conducted a quick filesystem integrity check in the background upon the mounting, thereby clearing the "dirty" flag. You then booted up in the first operating system again, and the filesystem was deemed clean, and thus mounted read/write again.

Elementary, dear Watson. And quite deterministic.
    Last edited by Frank V; 29th February 2020 at 19:16. Reason: typos & punctuation

8. Link to Post #5
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

endorsing the words of Frank V, I add the follow:

Elastic can not be the better word (neither Plastic), because the Evolution as a whole is continuous

you may have been inspired on Expanding Universe and think that a involuntary (unforeseen) tech inconsistency could be something "Expandable"

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), Mercedes (7th March 2020), O Donna (1st March 2020), toppy (1st March 2020)

10. Link to Post #6
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Frank V (here)
    However, you've remained vague as to what those operating systems are, and also ─ crucially ─ what filesystem is on the data partition that all three of those operating systems can use.
    My default OS is Debian on an ext3 partition, but all my data files exist on an NTFS partition, which I've never had any problem writing to with Debian or MacOS (with Paragon). The 2nd OS, which I used to see if I had write permission, was Win10. I did not actually write to it, just verified when I opened the doc I could edit it.

Earlier this morning I went to download a Catherine Austin Fitts interview from youtube that was just posted here on Avalon. The programme I used was a Firefox extension that takes 2 or 3 minutes to process the audio before I can download the mp3. As soon as I chose download, within about 2 seconds, the file was ready for download, the entire 70mb file, and it was good. So I downloaded another file, about 50mb, and it took at least 3 or 4 minutes. Also there were a couple of power outages this morning. Maybe I switched timelines this morning.

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), Mercedes (7th March 2020), O Donna (1st March 2020), toppy (1st March 2020)

12. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Ernie Nemeth (here)
    I work in the electronics field and I do not trust them. I have meters that don't work reliably except for others, but not me. I always have to tap my phone numerous times before it responds - it never ever, ever responds on the first try - ever!
    I remember when an HP laptop would not boot to a bootable floppy, back in 2001. But only for me. It booted for others :-)

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (29th February 2020), Chester (29th February 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Ernie Nemeth (2nd March 2020), Mercedes (7th March 2020), O Donna (1st March 2020), toppy (1st March 2020)

14. Link to Post #8
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

However, you've remained vague as to what those operating systems are, and also ─ crucially ─ what filesystem is on the data partition that all three of those operating systems can use.
    My default OS is Debian on an ext3 partition, but all my data files exist on an NTFS partition, which I've never had any problem writing to with Debian or MacOS (with Paragon). The 2nd OS, which I used to see if I had write permission, was Win10. I did not actually write to it, just verified when I opened the doc I could edit it.
    Windows normally doesn't remount a filesystem as read-only. So maybe the fact that you used Windows to access it was what removed the "dirty" flag.

Earlier this morning I went to download a Catherine Austin Fitts interview from youtube that was just posted here on Avalon. The programme I used was a Firefox extension that takes 2 or 3 minutes to process the audio before I can download the mp3. As soon as I chose download, within about 2 seconds, the file was ready for download, the entire 70mb file, and it was good. So I downloaded another file, about 50mb, and it took at least 3 or 4 minutes.
    Look in your Debian package manager for a command-line utility called youtube-dl. It can download entire videos or just extract the audio, and it's really fast ─ it's a Python script.

Code:
    youtube-dl url-of-the-youtube-video-here      # downloads the video
    youtube-dl -x url-of-the-youtube-video-here   # downloads the video, extracts the audio and deletes the original video again

You will probably need to install ffmpeg first. It's a multimedia processing and conversion tool.

Also there were a couple of power outages this morning. Maybe I switched timelines this morning.
    The power outages are probably why the filesystem hadn't been cleanly unmounted.

15. Link to Post #9
    United States Avalon Member Chester's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,205 times in 5,691 posts

Would TomKat have his system without a surge suppressor / UPS? If he did, and he powered down in time, is it still possible some spike might get through to cause the glitch prior to the power down (noting power outages sometimes involve spikes first)?
    All the above is all and only my opinion - all subject to change and not meant to be true for anyone else regardless of how I phrase it.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chester For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (29th February 2020), O Donna (1st March 2020), toppy (1st March 2020)

17. Link to Post #10
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Sammy (here)
    Would TomKat have his system without a surge suppressor / UPS? If he did, and he powered down in time, is it still possible some spike might get through to cause the glitch prior to the power down (noting power outages sometimes involve spikes first)?
    Well, a UPS and a surge suppressor are not the same thing. A UPS is a battery ─ an "Uninterruptible Power Supply" ─ that immediately takes over when the wall power drops beyond a certain preset (but sometimes configurable) value, including so-called brownouts. But that said, a UPS generally also incorporates a surge suppressor, and barring an actual lightning strike, surge suppressors ─ whether standalone or embedded in a UPS ─ will immediately block any and all power spikes up to about 5'000 Volts or more ─ lightning strikes are over 30 times more powerful than that.

What TomKat experienced was not the result of a power spike, but most likely of a sudden loss of power, which left several of the files on his NTFS partition marked as "opened" in the file allocation dentry when the power dropped, and as such, the Linux kernel would upon the next boot detect that the filesystem was not cleanly unmounted and would remount it as read-only to prevent further damage.

Note that this is not a kernel default, but a mount option in the /etc/fstab file ─ namely "errors=remount-ro". The system reads /etc/fstab at boot time and will automatically attempt to mount all the filesystems declared in that file, provided that they are fixed-drive filesystems ─ i.e. on a HDD or an SSD.

Removable-storage volumes are normally not mounted automatically, unless they have been listed with "auto" as one of their mount options, although it must be said that external HDDs/SSDs connected via USB (as well as USB sticks) are also regarded as fixed-drive devices and should thus be excluded from automatic mounting by way of the "noauto" mount option.

/etc/fstab also contains entries for the swap partition(s), and it/they will be activated automatically at boot as well, but a UNIX swap partition does not contain any filesystem ─ the kernel accesses the raw data blocks directly, and a shutdown without explicit hibernation causes the kernel to discard whatever was on the swap partition when it boots up the next time.

18. Link to Post #11
    Thanks

Well, a UPS and a surge suppressor are not the same thing. A UPS is a battery ─ an "Uninterruptible Power Supply" ─ that immediately takes over when the wall power drops beyond a certain preset (but sometimes configurable) value, including so-called brownouts. But that said, a UPS generally also incorporates a surge suppressor, and barring an actual lightning strike, surge suppressors ─ whether standalone or embedded in a UPS ─ will immediately block any and all power spikes up to about 5'000 Volts or more ─ lightning strikes are over 30 times more powerful than that.

What TomKat experienced was not the result of a power spike, but most likely of a sudden loss of power, which left several of the files on his NTFS partition marked as "opened" in the file allocation dentry when the power dropped, and as such, the Linux kernel would upon the next boot detect that the filesystem was not cleanly unmounted and would remount it as read-only to prevent further damage.

Note that this is not a kernel default, but a mount option in the /etc/fstab file ─ namely "errors=remount-ro". The system reads /etc/fstab at boot time and will automatically attempt to mount all the filesystems declared in that file, provided that they are fixed-drive filesystems ─ i.e. on a HDD or an SSD.

Removable-storage volumes are normally not mounted automatically, unless they have been listed with "auto" as one of their mount options, although it must be said that external HDDs/SSDs connected via USB (as well as USB sticks) are also regarded as fixed-drive devices and should thus be excluded from automatic mounting by way of the "noauto" mount option.

/etc/fstab also contains entries for the swap partition(s), and it/they will be activated automatically at boot as well, but a UNIX swap partition does not contain any filesystem ─ the kernel accesses the raw data blocks directly, and a shutdown without explicit hibernation causes the kernel to discard whatever was on the swap partition when it boots up the next time.

Well, this happened before the power outage, and those files hadn't been accessed since the previous morning. During the outage my laptop never shut down, just ran on battery. And whatever problem it was having writing to the NTFS partition survived a reboot, which I don't think should have happened. As to fstab, my NTFS partition doesn't contain the errors=remount-ro in fstab, although the ext3 partition does.

Yes, it was a weird morning, trying to edit those files then, after I insisted and got it working, the power went out! Which speaks to my actual point about the elastic universe. I once worked on a printer that I could not get to fail, and nobody else in the office could get to fail, but it failed for one particular user -- without fail! :-)
    Last edited by TomKat; 1st March 2020 at 00:16.

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (1st March 2020), toppy (1st March 2020)

20. Link to Post #12
    Thanks

Look in your Debian package manager for a command-line utility called youtube-dl. It can download entire videos or just extract the audio, and it's really fast ─ it's a Python script.
    Frank, I use youtube-dl along with the GUI frontend, but sometimes for one-off's I prefer to just download in Firefox rather than opening another program. The GUI version is great for mutli-downloads. My favourite downloader is 4kyoutubetomp3 though.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (1st March 2020)

22. Link to Post #13
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks

after I insisted and got it working, the power went out! Which speaks to my actual point about the elastic universe. I once worked on a printer that I could not get to fail, and nobody else in the office could get to fail, but it failed for one particular user -- without fail! :-)
    regardless the " involuntary (unforeseen) tech inconsistency ", everything which work with Energy can be affected by transitory waves, and sensitive digital (read-write) signals can actually be affected by certain unknown energies, but being unknown not implies being expanding when some of this is discovered.

here in Brazil, there is a popular saying about many cases where the problem of the system is between the monitor and the user's chair, because exist ones that have a magical finger, that where it touches causes a strange error in the system. It's unbelievable ! In this sense, this happens all the time.

may the law of Murphy can explains

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (1st March 2020)

24. Link to Post #14
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

Quote Posted by RogeRio (here)
    after I insisted and got it working, the power went out! Which speaks to my actual point about the elastic universe. I once worked on a printer that I could not get to fail, and nobody else in the office could get to fail, but it failed for one particular user -- without fail! :-)
    regardless the " involuntary (unforeseen) tech inconsistency ", everything which work with Energy can be affected by transitory waves, and sensitive digital (read-write) signals can actually be affected by certain unknown energies, but being unknown not implies being expanding when some of this is discovered.

here in Brazil, there is a popular saying about many cases where the problem of the system is between the monitor and the user's chair, because exist ones that have a magical finger, that where it touches causes a strange error in the system. It's unbelievable ! In this sense, this happens all the time.

may the law of Murphy can explains
    Replying to TomKat and RogeRio:

From my own experiences not exactly the "universe is expanding" or "because exist ones that have a magical finger",but our abilities are "expanding"...sort of...

1-How could one explains how not touching a command (finger distance from tablet is between 5 mm and 2 cm) on a tablet,that command is activated from time to time (not always)?
    2-How could one explains when I turn off/on the lights in the room,one of the monitors enter in sleep mode from time to time (not always,but recently always)? (systems are connected through UPSes and AVRes)
    3-How could one explains that a door can be open without touching the handle (not always,just from time to time)?

Through other things...

Could be intention,changing realities and/or timelines shifts?Just a rhetoric question... because I have partial answers too them and I'm sure that in time full answer will be revealed...

These were just examples...
    "Your planet is forbidden for an open visit - extremely aggressive social environment,despite almost perfect climatic conditions.Almost 4 billion violent deaths for the last 5000 years and about 15000 major military conflicts in the same period."

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Bill Ryan (1st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), Frank V (1st March 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020)

26. Link to Post #15
    Thanks

Quote Posted by EFO (here)
    1-How could one explains how not touching a command (finger distance from tablet is between 5 mm and 2 cm) on a tablet,that command is activated from time to time (not always)?
    This was happening to me all the time about a year or two ago!
    About 5 years ago, defying all logic, I could not get a VPN connection on one computer, but no problem on the others. I decided it was just one of those mysterious things, and sure enough, a few days later, with no changes done at all, it fixed itself.
    Last edited by TomKat; 1st March 2020 at 14:21.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Anka (1st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020)

28. Link to Post #16
    Language
    Romanian
    Thanks

This was happening to me all the time about a year or two ago!
    About 5 years ago, defying all logic, I could not get a VPN connection on one computer, but no problem on the others. I decided it was just one of those mysterious things, and sure enough, a few days later, with no changes done at all, it fixed itself.
    So,you say that is a contamination of some sort...

Serious now,yes is defying all known logic.For me,it started about two years ago and is an on going,don't knowing from how long or when will stopped...will see...and if I'll remember about this thread I will post here.

What I found until now,is a sort of intention when this thing is happening.In that "moment" the brain is empty from any other thoughts/ballast,filled only with that intention and is happened in a glimpse of a second (everything is "blackened" and puff the command is activated)...That's all what I found for now...what's next,we'll see in the future...

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EFO For This Post:

Anka (1st March 2020), Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), RogeRio (1st March 2020)

30. Link to Post #17
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks

Well, this happened before the power outage, and those files hadn't been accessed since the previous morning. During the outage my laptop never shut down, just ran on battery. And whatever problem it was having writing to the NTFS partition survived a reboot, which I don't think should have happened. As to fstab, my NTFS partition doesn't contain the errors=remount-ro in fstab, although the ext3 partition does.

Yes, it was a weird morning, trying to edit those files then, after I insisted and got it working, the power went out! Which speaks to my actual point about the elastic universe. I once worked on a printer that I could not get to fail, and nobody else in the office could get to fail, but it failed for one particular user -- without fail! :-)
    I have a new bit of information that could explain what you've experienced. I should have thought about this earlier, but I don't do Windows, and so this kind of stuff only reaches my attention when someone else mentions it, and as it just so happens to be, someone at the Manjaro forum brought it up just a few minutes ago.

I am willing to bet that you have the "Fast Boot" feature enabled in Microsoft Windows. This is is a kind of hybrid shutdown/hibernation thing, whereby when you shut down Windows, it doesn't fully shut itself down and keeps its filesystems open. Any successive boot in GNU/Linux would therefore mark the filesystem as dirty and mount it read-only.

Shutting Windows down without the "Fast Boot" feature will cleanly unmount the filesystem in Windows and would thus not cause any problems in other operating systems.

31. Link to Post #18
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks

but our abilities are "expanding"...sort of...
    yes EFO, consciousness expanding through awareness of itself and everything else related to it, either as a individual or a collective perspective. Everything pulses "expanding continuously", no doubt (it's life).

I learned and agree, this even can be more well understood under Conscientious Paradigm, where means the (finite) Universe aim Evolution of (infinite) intelligences (through lifes). This model include consciousness as an element of creation and avoid duality (good-bad), instead, everything it's Relative.

Elastic Universe means the same, I guess.

Quote Could be intention,changing realities and/or timelines shifts?
    of course, intention as seeing by synchronous "conscious + thought + feelings + energies" so the intention matters much more than a isolated thought or a feeling, as to say.

there's no magic, but the degree of awareness can expand since deep to wide "experiences" of changing-shifts
    (Everything it's Relative)
    Last edited by RogeRio; 1st March 2020 at 18:08.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (1st March 2020)

33. Link to Post #19
    Thanks

Shutting Windows down without the "Fast Boot" feature will cleanly unmount the filesystem in Windows and would thus not cause any problems in other operating systems.
    Thanks, I'll check that out. Definitely don't want anything that would interfere with the other OSes I'm using.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (1st March 2020), Frank V (1st March 2020)

35. Link to Post #20
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,037 times in 645 posts

I loved the old tool NORTON COMMANDER - you could do some useful things with that piece of kit? Can you still get it and does it work on top of windows 10?

Also my epson printer keeps asking me to confirm a firmware update. Instead of spending £35 - £50 on epson own branded ink, I pay circa £4 for non branded ink for my device and done so for years with no problem. Recently, however each time i accept a firmware update, the quality of the printout reduces by a % or so despite me cleaning the heads etc using the built in software. It's like the firmware knows it not genuine branded ink and they making me suffer - but this is only a recent thing. I'd say it now 71-75% of the quality it used to be before these firmware updates and I have always used the same ink supplier and docs printed were always 100% sharp and printed professionally but not any more. Any ideas? Or am i just a skinflint cheap scotsman?

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (2nd March 2020), Frank V (2nd March 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast