Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Elastic Universe and Computers

1. Link to Post #21
    Unsubscribed
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,249 times in 1,238 posts

Default Re: Elastic Universe and Computers

Quote Posted by scotslad (here)
    I loved the old tool NORTON COMMANDER - you could do some useful things with that piece of kit? Can you still get it and does it work on top of windows 10?
    The original Norton Commander has been discontinued, but there is a similar utility for GNU/Linux and other UNIX platforms (including macOS 10.x) called Midnight Commander ─ it's Free & Open Source Software. It might also work on Windows systems that have some UNIX compatibility layer installed like Cygwin or Windows Subsystem for Linux, but I don't know whether there's a Windows-native version of it.

2. Link to Post #22
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,331 times in 2,365 posts

Also my epson printer keeps asking me to confirm a firmware update. Instead of spending £35 - £50 on epson own branded ink, I pay circa £4 for non branded ink for my device and done so for years with no problem. Recently, however each time i accept a firmware update, the quality of the printout reduces by a % or so despite me cleaning the heads etc using the built in software. It's like the firmware knows it not genuine branded ink and they making me suffer - but this is only a recent thing. I'd say it now 71-75% of the quality it used to be before these firmware updates and I have always used the same ink supplier and docs printed were always 100% sharp and printed professionally but not any more. Any ideas? Or am i just a skinflint cheap scotsman?
    I've never worked on ink-jet printers, but it stands to reason that if you're re-filling your cartridges, eventually the cartridges would wear out and you'd have to buy new ones. Also, beware of updates in general, because if you have something working as you like, why risk the manufacturer getting greedy? I had bought an iPhone app and shortly after, the manufacturer decided to make it into a subscription app to make more money (and once you've updated, there's no going back).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (3rd March 2020)

4. Link to Post #23
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,060 times in 646 posts

I've never refilled cartridges I've always bought new ones from the same supplier for years - always perfect. Just for 10% of the cost of buying direct from manufacturer But I agree. Should have stuck with Windows 7, and Office 2007 Now on Office 365 darn!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (3rd March 2020)

6. Link to Post #24
    Scotland Avalon Member scotslad's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,060 times in 646 posts

Aye, aye...

"Apple agrees to pay up to $500 million in lawsuit that claims it intentionally slowed down customers' iPhones in a bid to get them to buy new ones"

More HERE - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...wing-suit.html

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scotslad For This Post:

Denise/Dizi (3rd March 2020), EFO (3rd March 2020), onawah (3rd March 2020)

8. Link to Post #25
    Thanks

I've never refilled cartridges I've always bought new ones from the same supplier for years - always perfect. Just for 10% of the cost of buying direct from manufacturer But I agree. Should have stuck with Windows 7, and Office 2007 Now on Office 365 darn!
    Sounds like a bad driver. I've never heard of a printer manufacturer purposely putting out a bad driver. Maybe your printer is so old they never wrote a new one for Win10.

BTW, you can run Office 2007 on Win10. Or you can get the free LibreOffice. Or better yet, use Linux Mint. Linux is a little behind on printer drivers, so it's great for old printers. Burn a Mint Cinnamon DVD from an ISO file to create a Live DVD. Boot to that as a trial and see if it prints OK.
    https://linuxmint.com/download.php
    Last edited by TomKat; 3rd March 2020 at 12:22.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

EFO (3rd March 2020), greybeard (3rd March 2020), scotslad (3rd March 2020)

10. Link to Post #26
    Scotland Avalon Member greybeard's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 68,863 times in 11,839 posts

I use Linux and never a problem with HP printer.
    Mind you the price of a new HP is not that much more than buying their new cartridges.
    Its good to get a new printer now and then--they get faster at doing the job.
    Windows complicates the simplest things--keeps shifting files for my convenience--oh yeah.
    Chris

Ps as in the above post I would recommend downloading the Linux ISO no cost and Libre Office also free but small donation will be appreciated by them.
    You can have both windows and Linux in the same PC/Laptop.
    Or just try Linux as was suggested.
    Chris
    Last edited by greybeard; 3rd March 2020 at 12:48.
    Be kind to all life, including your own, no matter what!!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to greybeard For This Post:

EFO (3rd March 2020), Frank V (3rd March 2020), Mashika (6th March 2020), scotslad (3rd March 2020), TomKat (3rd March 2020)

12. Link to Post #27
    Thanks

Quote Posted by greybeard (here)
    I use Linux and never a problem with HP printer.
    Mind you the price of a new HP is not that much more than buying their new cartridges.
    Its good to get a new printer now and then--they get faster at doing the job.
    Windows complicates the simplest things--keeps shifting files for my convenience--oh yeah.
    Chris

Ps as in the above post I would recommend downloading the Linux ISO no cost and Libre Office also free but small donation will be appreciated by them.
    You can have both windows and Linux in the same PC/Laptop.
    Or just try Linux as was suggested.
    Chris
    Unless you really need colour, you're best off getting an old HP monochrome laser printer and buying recycled toner cartridges on eBay. I scored an HP1320 (dual-sided) printer for US$45 on Craigslist and it's lasted several years, and I expect a lot more years out of it. And Windows, Linux and MacOS all automatically support it. I never want to support any kind of subscription model, which is what most printers have become.
    Last edited by TomKat; 7th March 2020 at 18:02.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TomKat For This Post:

EFO (7th March 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2