+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The War On Sanity: Joe Rogan and Co Discuss

1. Link to Post #1
    United States Avalon Member Mike's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,208 times in 5,679 posts

Default The War On Sanity: Joe Rogan and Co Discuss

Ok, so this is astounding. It's sad and preposterous and darkly humorous and frightening and almost totally unbelievable all at once...

Up until a few months ago I had no idea just how close our world was to intellectual and spiritual oblivion..and if I did, I likely would have attributed it to the shadow government or perhaps something even deeper and harder to define. And that phenomena surely plays its part, but what's going on now in this country and the rest of the world is much more tactile and obvious than voice to skull lasers or black magic, or even rigged economies or manufactured wars.

Well, it's obvious and slippery all at once.

Enter Peter Boghossian and James Lindsay. Boghassian is a philosophy professor at Portland State, and Lindsay is a mathematician with some academia experience in his past. And what they've done is submit a large handful of mostly made up academic papers in the hopes that they might be published in the journals representing the "fields" of so called gender studies, race studies, and women's studies

They tried to make the papers as preposterous as possible, on purpose, to test the sanity and motivations of the gate keepers to these alleged disciplines.

Getting any of these papers accepted and published would have been sufficient proof of the tyranny and bigotry and madness surrounding these new postmodern plagues, but what actually happened was far more disturbingly funny and ironic: The journals often encouraged them to rewrite even more madness into them!

Ok, lets start with some of the papers:

One they submitted was titled: Human Reactions To Rape Culture And Queer Reformativity At Urban Parks In Portland, Oregon

In it, they claimed to have inspected the genitals of 10,000 dogs and then interrogated the owners as to their sexual orientation. Male dogs humping other male dogs was reported to be frowned upon by the heteronormative cavemen, but male dogs humping female dogs was reported to have been cheered on enthusiastically. They crammed a whole bunch of phony statistics into the paper as well, and long story short concluded that feminism should train men like we train dogs so that we can effectively eradicate "rape culture". One suggestion in the paper was to actually put men on leashes. The journal on women's studies called it exemplary scholarship and gave it an award. No, I'm not kidding.

The premise of another paper was that it was unethical to make fun of anything to do with social justice. They proposed that it was ok and even good to make fun of men, straight people, or white people, but SJ was out of bounds. It suggested shows like Southpark and The Simpsons were responsible for creating language that normalized racism, but that folks like John Stewart and Stephen Colbert were doing their best to counter that. The journal wrote back saying that, although Stewart and Colbert may appear to be supportive of SJ, it was unacceptable to include them because they were straight white men. Furthermore, it said all white men were problematic, even the supportive ones, because of the threat that they may be viewed favorably.
    The guys included a quote by a feminist that said all white men are trash until proven otherwise. Whiteness was referred to as "original sin". The paper was accepted and published in one of the academic journals. Really!

Boghossian and Lindsay often got feedback encouraging them to "problematize" more things and more intensely. so called "problematizing is a SJW tactic that suggests, due to nearly everyone and everything straight and white and male being oppressive and power hungry and evil, almost all current trends and things, from a to z, need to be singled out and revealed to be part of this "disease of whiteness". Problematizing makes a grievance out of nearly everything. and i mean everything

a silly example: One thing they were encouraged to "problematize" was a show called "hot ones". it's an internet show that usually involves celebrities trying to answer mundane questions about their careers while eating progressively hotter and hotter chicken wings. the journals deemed this process too macho, and filed it under "toxic masculinity". also claimed there weren't enough women on the show, etc

another paper the guys submitted was from the point of view of white lesbian who hated her whiteness. they took random passages from Hitler's book, mein kampf, and just replaced the word "jews" with the words "white men". they received encouraging feedback from the journal, who liked the paper, but ultimately did not accept it because the writer in question was positioning herself as a "good white".

this last one takes the cake. it was submitted to a trans studies journal, and it's premise was that straight men are transphobic because in general they don't want to have sex with people calling themselves women who used to have dicks, or still do. the solution to the problem, the paper suggests, is having more straight men stick stuff up their asses, recreationally. Or, to let their girlfriends "peg" them. Oh, and that paper was published too.

I'm not even doing any of this justice. This video really needs to be heard to be believed. I'm leaving out a ton, and forgetting even more.

These so called fields of study are being taught to kids in almost all universities these days. Minds are now getting warped one generation at a time. This is the new war, the war on reason and virtue and morality and common sense. The sanity of the world depends on it being stopped. It's my sincere hope that everyone reading this finds time to watch this video. To have any hope moving forward, we need to know what we're fighting against..and this is it
    Last edited by Mike; 9th March 2020 at 02:52.

2. The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (8th March 2020), boja (9th March 2020), Chip (8th March 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), Dennis Leahy (10th March 2020), Franny (9th March 2020), Gemma13 (9th March 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Gracy (8th March 2020), Iancorgi (9th March 2020), Ioneo (8th March 2020), Ivanhoe (8th March 2020), Mark (Star Mariner) (10th March 2020), onawah (8th March 2020), Patient (10th March 2020), PurpleLama (11th July 2020), Reinhard (11th July 2020), rgray222 (5th December 2020), Satori (8th March 2020), Soda (9th March 2020), Sophocles (10th March 2020), Strat (8th March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (10th March 2020), T Smith (8th March 2020), Tintin (9th March 2020), toppy (9th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    United States Avalon Member Strat's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,306 times in 1,825 posts

Default Re: The War On Sanity: Joe Rogan and Co Discuss

The next thing you know water will be 'proven' to be dry and you're an asshole if you disagree.
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday. Tomorrow is your victory over lesser men.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Strat For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (8th March 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), Dennis Leahy (10th March 2020), Franny (9th March 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Ivanhoe (8th March 2020), Mike (8th March 2020), onawah (10th March 2020), Reinhard (11th July 2020), Soda (9th March 2020), Tintin (9th March 2020), toppy (9th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,014 times in 2,416 posts

This is a very enlightening interview. It puts paid to the idea that you can’t make this stuff up. In fact, you can make this stuff up and get hired as a college professor or government bureaucrat doing it and filling peoples’ heads with nonsense.

6. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Satori For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (8th March 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), Dennis Leahy (10th March 2020), Franny (9th March 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Ivanhoe (8th March 2020), Mike (8th March 2020), onawah (10th March 2020), Reinhard (11th July 2020), Soda (9th March 2020), Tintin (9th March 2020), toppy (9th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Strat (here)
    The next thing you know water will be 'proven' to be dry and you're an asshole if you disagree.

would be much funnier if not for the chance of it really happening someday soon

and if you attempt to defend your very obvious position about water, you'll be further ridiculed as a bigot.

and when you get bullied into apologizing for stating this fact (by a group of people who, ironically, claim to be the ones being bullied) you will be greeted by suspicion, and reminded constantly that this in no way absolves you of your ignorance.

you're a piece of sh!t no matter what you do or say, all because of things that are well beyond your control.

that's the game being played at the moment

8. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (8th March 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), Dennis Leahy (10th March 2020), Franny (9th March 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Ivanhoe (8th March 2020), onawah (10th March 2020), Patient (10th March 2020), Reinhard (11th July 2020), Satori (9th March 2020), Strat (9th March 2020), Tintin (9th March 2020), toppy (10th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Satori (here)
    This is a very enlightening interview. It puts paid to the idea that you can’t make this stuff up. In fact, you can make this stuff up and get hired as a college professor or government bureaucrat doing it and filling peoples’ heads with nonsense.

glad you got a chance to watch.

like you said, can't make it up.

if there is a deep state element to all this, i suspect it has to do with seeing just how much insanity we're all willing to tolerate in the name of "equity", to gauge how much further they can take it....like calling water "dry", as Strat said

it's so orwellian and sinister in its implications that it makes me shudder.

language is being co-opted and manipulated just like it is in the book 1984

"equity", for example, implies some form of equality to most of us, but actually represents power over, not power with in SJW land.

"allyship" no longer has anything to do with building trust and cooperation with oppressed people; it now represents a willful subservience to them. it's all to do with power, not equality of any kind.

new words aren't being used to truly represent the current motivations - old ones are being stolen and corrupted
    Last edited by Mike; 9th March 2020 at 05:23.

10. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (8th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (10th March 2020), Franny (9th March 2020), gord (10th March 2020), onawah (9th March 2020), Reinhard (11th July 2020), Satori (9th March 2020), Tintin (9th March 2020), toppy (10th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    United States Avalon Member onawah's Avatar
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 115,974 times in 20,621 posts

Adjectives like "liberal" and "feminist" used to mean something to me.
    I can't begin to guess what those words are supposedly encompassing these days.
    I was reading something about why so many CEOs are quitting now and one of the reasons cited was the Me Too movement--executives paying the price for having played loose with the standard of refraining from taking advantage of their positions and having intimate relationships with women too far down on the corporate ladder, so I guess there is still some good coming from feminism, at least.
    (Did anybody see the clip from the new documentary in which Bill Clinton confesses that his fling with Monica Lewinsky was due to his feeling so pressured as POTUS, and HRC acting like she was all supportive. (One can only imagine what was really going on behind the scenes with those two. Made me want to hurl ...)
    I can't say the same for academia, but maybe I'm missing something.

I still get some comfort from watching a documentary like "Raise Hell--the Life and Times of Molly Ivins".

She's gone now, but I can fantasize about her coming back as a Walk-in asap and keeping on doing what she did so well, skewering the truth with rapier wit.
    I keep thinking about the scene from Contact with Jodie Foster, when she reaches her goal and sees the Universe unfolding.

I think of that scene of the cosmos as the Light and Dark marrying and mixing and always coming up with some new, evolving reality.
    I hope that's what Reality really is, and not just a winding up and winding down again, with no real evolution possible.
    But I suppose the static aspect of it may be a part of evolution, as well...
    Last edited by onawah; 10th March 2020 at 04:19.
    Each breath a gift...

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to onawah For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (10th March 2020), Dennis Leahy (10th March 2020), Franny (10th March 2020), Mike (10th March 2020), Sophocles (10th March 2020), toppy (10th March 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

I hear ya Nat. For the longest time I might have been considered a "bleeding heart liberal". I was proud of it. I still am a bleeding heart liberal at heart in some ways.

Back then, if I'd read what I'd written above, or the content of some of my other posts lately, particularly my stuff in the racism thread, I would have instantly recoiled. I would have thought it was the musings of a racist, transphobic, misogynist, all cloaked in intellectual arguments.

Some racists and transphobes and misogynists do that type of thing, of course.

But what I'm finding out is that it works the other way around too, to the 1,000th degree. It was like a revelation. I was so blinded by my self righteous, bleeding heart liberal ideology that I completely missed it: power hungry and vengeful social justice radicals are cloaking their racism and bigotry in words like "equity", and "allyship", and "sensitivity training". it's an insidious plague being spread at an alarming rate all across the world..mostly in universities but also into the corporate world as well, we're finding out. I'm sure everyone is sick of me blabbing on about it all, and I get that, but it really is a war on reason, and sanity. It's so important to know the game being played.

To be clear: I'm not suggesting that everyone who supports notions of equity and so forth are behind a sinister plan to take over the planet. Most actually think they are doing some good. But a large minority, the radical activist types, are very influential and very dangerous at the moment and need to be exposed and stopped. My issue is with them, and no one else.

the battle ground is being fought along the triumvirate issues of race and trans stuff and gender stuff. I know some people are going to think I'm a piece of sh!t for my views, because my former self would have likely thought same. but that's largely an emotional reaction devoid of any kind of basic research and common sense. my eyes are wide open now, I know exactly what's going on and just how our bleeding hearts are being manipulated, and I can't stay quiet about it anymore.
    Last edited by Mike; 10th March 2020 at 19:34.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (10th March 2020), Franny (10th March 2020), onawah (10th March 2020), Satori (11th March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (10th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    United States Avalon Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,527 times in 642 posts

Quote Posted by Mike (here)

But what I'm finding out is that it works the other way around too, to the 1,000th degree. It was like a revelation. I was so blinded by my self righteous, bleeding heart liberal ideology that I completely missed it: power hungry, vengeful social justice radicals are cloaking their racism and bigotry in words like "equity", and "allyship", and "sensitivity training". it's an insidious plague being spread at an alarming rate all across the world..mostly in universities but also into the corporate world as well, we're finding out. I'm sure everyone is sick of me blabbing on about it all, and I get that, but it really is a war on reason, and sanity. It's so important to know the game being played.

To be clear: I'm not suggesting that everyone who supports notions of equity and so forth are behind a sinister plan to take over the planet. Most actually think they are doing some good. But a large minority, the radical activist types, are very influential and very dangerous at the moment and need to be exposed and stopped. My issue is with them, and no one else.

the battle ground is being fought along the triumvirate issues of race and trans stuff and gender stuff. I know some people are going to think I'm a piece of sh!t for my views, because my former self would have likely thought same. but that's largely an emotional reaction devoid of any kind of basic research and common sense. my eyes are wide open now, I know exactly what's going on and just how our bleeding hearts are being manipulated, and I can't stay quiet about it anymore.

You know this has been going on for many years, right?

See "Titania Mcgrath" for a humorous look at it: https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath

Since you're fascinated with the shadow aspects of ourselves, I'd like to ask you: Who is that piece of sh!t you mention bracing yourself to be accused of being? Who is that former self you have left behind? And who is the self whose "eyes are wide open now" ? And who, next year, will once again (possibly) discover a new set of eyes which need to be pried open?

Where do they all go?

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Caliban For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (10th March 2020), Franny (10th March 2020), Mike (10th March 2020), Satori (11th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Caliban (here)

But what I'm finding out is that it works the other way around too, to the 1,000th degree. It was like a revelation. I was so blinded by my self righteous, bleeding heart liberal ideology that I completely missed it: power hungry, vengeful social justice radicals are cloaking their racism and bigotry in words like "equity", and "allyship", and "sensitivity training". it's an insidious plague being spread at an alarming rate all across the world..mostly in universities but also into the corporate world as well, we're finding out. I'm sure everyone is sick of me blabbing on about it all, and I get that, but it really is a war on reason, and sanity. It's so important to know the game being played.

You know this has been going on for many years, right?

See "Titania Mcgrath" for a humorous look at it: https://twitter.com/TitaniaMcGrath

Since you're fascinated with the shadow aspects of ourselves, I'd like to ask you: Who is that piece of sh!t you mention bracing yourself to be accused of being? Who is that former self you have left behind? And who is the self whose "eyes are wide open now" ? And who, next year, will once again (possibly) discover a new set of eyes which need to be pried open?

Where do they all go?

No, I didn't know this was going on at all! Not to this degree anyway. I'm just finding out now, sad to say.

I even thought that Jordan Peterson - who I very much admire - was exaggerating and being very dramatic about it all initially. Every time he uttered the word "postmodernism" I wanted to slap him. But then I educated myself, thank God. I now know why he is so passionate and intense about all this.

Yeah, our ideas are always changing. And mine will change and evolve again, of course. I work out my ideas verbally and in writing, and there is a very real chance some of my current ideas will embarrass me in the future. But it won't stop me from working them out. The path to wisdom involves a willingness to play the fool.

18. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Post:

aoibhghaire (10th March 2020), Bill Ryan (10th March 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), Franny (10th March 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Satori (11th March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (11th March 2020), Violet3 (11th March 2020), Wind (10th March 2020)

19. Link to Post #10
    Brazil Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    Portuguese
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,019 times in 377 posts

that's the game being played at the moment
    brainwash's game

it's not played only at the moment, because it was always played

and since Bertrand Russel publish "The Impact of Science on Society" (1953) the "perspectives" became worse (much more).

---
    It may be hoped that in time anybody will be able to persuade anybody of anything if he can catch the patient young and is provided by the State with money and equipment.

This subject will make great strides when it is taken up by scientists under a scientific dictatorship. Anaxagoras maintained that snow is black, but no one believed him.

The social psychologists of the future will have a number of classes of school children on whom they will try different methods of producing an unshakable conviction that snow is black.

Various results will soon be arrived at. First, that the influence of home is obstructive. Second, that not much can be done unless indoctrination begins before the age of ten. Third, that verses set to music and repeatedly intoned are very effective. Fourth, that the opinion that snow is white must be held to show a morbid taste for eccentricity. .

It is for future scientists to make these maxims precise and discover exactly how much it costs per head to make children believe that snow is black, and how much less it would cost to make them believe it is dark gray.

---
    Fichte laid it down that education should aim at destroying free will, so that, after pupils have left school, they shall be incapable, throughout the rest of their lives, of thinking or acting otherwise than as their schoolmasters would have wished.

But in his day this was an unattainable ideal: … In future such failures are not likely to occur where there is dictatorship. Diet, injections, and injunctions will combine, from a very early age, to produce the sort of character and the sort of beliefs that the authorities consider desirable, and any serious criticism of the powers that be will become psychologically impossible.

Even if all are miserable, all will believe themselves happy, because the government will tell them that they are so.

---
    Children will, as in Plato’s Republic, be taken from their mothers and reared by professional nurses. Gradually, by selective breeding, the congenital differences between rulers and ruled will increase until they become almost different species.

A revolt of the plebs would become as unthinkable as an organized insurrection of sheep against the practice of eating mutton.
    an irony to relax

If you want to know what is right, it is not at school that you will get an answer. But, if you want to know what the wrong ones want you imagine is right, then the modern schools will be the right learning for you.
    Last edited by RogeRio; 11th March 2020 at 16:25.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RogeRio For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th July 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Mike (11th March 2020), Sue (Ayt) (11th March 2020)

21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Retired Member
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 25,435 times in 3,321 posts

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Constance For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th July 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Harmony (11th July 2020), Mike (11th July 2020)

23. Link to Post #12
    Thailand Avalon Member Iancorgi's Avatar
    Thanks

James Lindsay back on the JRE for another serving of "wokeness is driving people mad":

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Iancorgi For This Post:

Bill Ryan (11th July 2020), Constance (11th July 2020), gord (12th July 2020), Harmony (11th July 2020), Mike (11th July 2020), PurpleLama (11th July 2020)

+ Reply to Thread