+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Daniel Schmachtenberger - The War on Sensemaking

1. Link to Post #1
    Language
    English
    Thanks
    Thanked 45,438 times in 8,540 posts

Default Daniel Schmachtenberger - The War on Sensemaking

Hi All, I've been meaning to get this started for a while.

A while back, member kfm27917 posted a short interview with this guy, Daniel Schmachtenberger. I was impressed with both the obviously extreme high level of intelligence, and his ability to apply effability to the problems humanity is currently facing which are very difficult to understand as a whole, but he breaks them down simply and succinctly, and has a very holistic view to proposed problems solving.

Part of the problems he talks about is our compromised ability to make sense of the world around us, and how our information ecology has become both too large to comprehend fully, and how it also has become entirely strategized and weaponized. Almost all the information available to us at this time is not "freely given info", but rather crafted as part of a strategy to manipulate information or other's beliefs.

This is ubiquitous. We see it in politicians, we see it in mainstream media, it is rampant in social media, we see it in industry. But do you ever think that it starts with us personally? We do the exact same things - it's just that on a personal level the potential effect and consequences are great reduced, but we still all do it exactly like they do - there's no difference except the scale of potential effects. We are a collective, and we can't just continuously blame "them" and hope that something changes.

This is just one in the web of inter-tangled issues of a great many that humanity is facing, and Daniel touches on a whole host of them, and their inter-connectivity.

I'll post four (edit: I guess six) videos here to start with. They are long, and it takes paying close attention to fully understand what he is saying. I'd say more than one view is required to get it all.

We are on the cusp of some great changes and we need to pull together so we can guide these changes, because if we do not, our politicians and industries will do it for us (they are ready, are we?). But first, before one can solve a problem, one needs to understand that first principle problems, as it is at this place that change will have the greatest effect.

To start, here's a video titled "Making Sense of Sensemaking" with Daniel Schmachtenberger, Jamie Wheal and Jordan Hall. The topic of this one is how to possibly navigate the current information ecology and basically, make sense of the world around us. (Its a bit slow, and if you find yourself allergic to long discussion videos, just check out the last two videos, at least)

Next up are three videos are titled "The War on Sensmaking" (pts 1,2 and 3), and they go deeper into the strategization and weaponization of our information ecology.

The initial video that kfm27917 posted is called "phase shifting humanity" - it is a quick 30 minute dive into where we are and where we need to go. Thanks K for that initial post that got me into this guy.

And here is one on the principle of a phenomenon called "Emergence", which is how we can imagine the change from where we are, to where we need to go, actually happening, within a short period of time.

Daniel also has many other interviews and lectures on youtube, if you find one that is as pertinent as the above ones seem, feel free to post in this thread.

I know these are long, and to really get the most from them you have to pay careful attention, but there are worth the effort. Enjoy!!
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 18th March 2020 at 21:25.
    When you are one step ahead of the crowd, you are a genius.
    Two steps ahead, and you are deemed a crackpot.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bluegreen (18th March 2020), cursichella1 (21st March 2020), Frank V (18th March 2020), Franny (19th March 2020), meeradas (18th March 2020), Mike (18th March 2020), Satori (18th March 2020), toppy (19th March 2020)

3. Link to Post #2
    Thanks
    Thanked 30,974 times in 5,003 posts

Default Re: Daniel Schmachtenberger - The War on Sensemaking

This got started a while back actually, but well worth another look

'Humanity's Phase Shift', Daniel Schmachtenberger
    Last edited by Bill Ryan; 18th March 2020 at 21:53. Reason: linked this to the name of the other thread

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th March 2020), Bluegreen (18th March 2020), DeDukshyn (18th March 2020), Mac (18th March 2020), meeradas (18th March 2020), Mike (19th March 2020), toppy (19th March 2020)

5. Link to Post #3
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by araucaria (here)
    This got started a while back actually, but well worth another look

'Humanity's Phase Shift', Daniel Schmachtenberger
    Thanks, I hadn't realized that that thread had continued on to encompass other of Daniel's videos, I see posted by Bill there ...

Didn't mean to create redundancy. Sorry about that.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

araucaria (19th March 2020), Bill Ryan (18th March 2020), toppy (19th March 2020)

7. Link to Post #4
    Thanks

'Humanity's Phase Shift', Daniel Schmachtenberger " I'm halfway through and got to say how refreshing, like others above I'm going to investigate him further n pass it on. I think the perspective he takes is one we should all adopt, and then feel that collective mild toxic anxiety dissolve like a bad dream. If we don't change the game calmly and slowly and use the intelligence we have to live with each other and the plane,t we're gonna be toast that's a given. Hopefully more and more people like Mr Schmachtenberger are flushed up and pushed to the fore because of the current crazy times, hasn't happened in the past but ever the optimist who knows. The warning for me is children today are given nothing healthy to believe in we've tarnished everything, so for futures sake something has to change imo and he mentions education. I mean when you listen to people like him it's not rocket science is it, we just need to shed a lot to realise it. There's that saying you don't notice the changes so much when you're in it, not sure I agree with that.
    Last edited by Mac; 18th March 2020 at 23:54. Reason: keyboard went weird

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Post:

Bill Ryan (18th March 2020), DeDukshyn (19th March 2020), Franny (19th March 2020), toppy (19th March 2020)

9. Link to Post #5
    Thanks

He loses me here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrozCypcUx4 Not a fan of this type of thinking, didn't get too far into it before he lost me. Hopefully he goes on to discuss the brain tissue found in the Heart and Stomach and explains the relationship between these. Tinkering may be a detrimental point of no return in regards to the full human potential/experience. Hopefully it's his old thinking and the shrooms woke him up to what awareness the human being is capable of naturally. Doubt it though as I think shrooms expand your awareness but it isn't the state religions were/are meant to cultivate in us,ask any spiritual master. Might be a useful step for some but not the be all and end all. He's an interesting Man but I think he's going off track here imo. ymmv

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th March 2020), DeDukshyn (19th March 2020)

11. Link to Post #6
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mac (here)
    He loses me here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrozCypcUx4 Not a fan of this type of thinking, didn't get too far into it before he lost me. Hopefully he goes on to discuss the brain tissue found in the Heart and Stomach and explains the relationship between these. Tinkering may be a detrimental point of no return in regards to the full human potential/experience. Hopefully it's his old thinking and the shrooms woke him up to what awareness the human being is capable of naturally. Doubt it though as I think shrooms expand your awareness but it isn't the state religions were/are meant to cultivate in us,ask any spiritual master. Might be a useful step for some but not the be all and end all. He's an interesting Man but I think he's going off track here imo. ymmv
    Not really sure what you are saying ... And I haven't watched this particular video (and wasn't promoting it, nor do I see a messenger as a particular message, personally), and it sounds like you didn't watch it all, either. I'll try to check this one out and give feedback, as I work in an industry that may have insight into this specific stuff.
    Last edited by DeDukshyn; 19th March 2020 at 02:03.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (19th March 2020), Mac (22nd March 2020)

13. Link to Post #7
    Thanks

Sorry for late reply was browsing logged out last couple of nights, missed the reply notification. I'd heard enough to put me off, but will listen again if you ever get round to watching it and fancy exploring it especially if it's something you have insights on. If I've missed something, or you make me see it in another way I'm open. Just went to listen again though and within minutes I have alarms going off. Not a fan of tinkering with healthy brains to create whatever he has in mind. Impaired brains and disabilities are another matter. I take your point on the" messenger" thing but it wasn't intended that way. After saying I'd investigate further I took a tangent. Understand your confusion but I like to drift and not a good idea in some threads, noted. 8) Cheers

Edit. On further thinking in regards to what he's getting at, It's obvious where his thinking is just listening to the first few minutes of the pod. Wilhelm Reich had a better understanding and tried to do similar only a lot less invasive and with more understanding of the subject. It's pretty obvious to me his expertise lies elsewhere and he'd be messing with something he doesn't understand. He can do what he wants with his own body heh. If he markets it people would buy it, but I doubt very much it would work in the way he thinks. It would just add to the confusion. Plus I'm pretty sure he's confused on what's what on this particular topic, he gives it away early in. Personally I think it's a dodgy route to take and a waste of time.
    Last edited by Mac; 22nd March 2020 at 07:32.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mac For This Post:

Bill Ryan (22nd March 2020)

15. Link to Post #8
    Language
    English
    Thanks

Quote Posted by Mac (here)
    Sorry for late reply was browsing logged out last couple of nights, missed the reply notification. I'd heard enough to put me off, but will listen again if you ever get round to watching it and fancy exploring it especially if it's something you have insights on. If I've missed something, or you make me see it in another way I'm open. Just went to listen again though and within minutes I have alarms going off. Not a fan of tinkering with healthy brains to create whatever he has in mind. Impaired brains and disabilities are another matter. I take your point on the" messenger" thing but it wasn't intended that way. After saying I'd investigate further I took a tangent. Understand your confusion but I like to drift and not a good idea in some threads, noted. 8) Cheers

Edit. On further thinking in regards to what he's getting at, It's obvious where his thinking is just listening to the first few minutes of the pod. Wilhelm Reich had a better understanding and tried to do similar only a lot less invasive and with more understanding of the subject. It's pretty obvious to me his expertise lies elsewhere and he'd be messing with something he doesn't understand. He can do what he wants with his own body heh. If he markets it people would buy it, but I doubt very much it would work in the way he thinks. It would just add to the confusion. Plus I'm pretty sure he's confused on what's what on this particular topic, he gives it away early in. Personally I think it's a dodgy route to take and a waste of time.
    A question ...
    Do you judge the videos I posted by their content, context and information contained within, based on the judgement of another video you watched that had a component you disagreed with? Be honest with yourself ... seriously. And if so, do you believe that that this method is the best for sense-making you can achieve? An honest inquiry ...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DeDukshyn For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd March 2020)

17. Link to Post #9
    Thanks

No, like a lot of what he says, like I said interesting Man. I'm not going to deny though, what I highlighted is a bugbear of mine no matter who is saying it. I'm going to watch more of his pods/vids. Appreciate the heads up on him.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mac For This Post:

Bill Ryan (23rd March 2020), DeDukshyn (23rd March 2020)

+ Reply to Thread